Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Brad Adams guy who first leaked the Series S price has seen nothing on this and thinks that slide is fake so I'm going with him.

Among other things simply removing the disc drive would not let them slice a third of the chimney off, that shit is needed for cooling.

Article says it's less powerful than the X.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That honestly sounds like a holiday 2021 product with a lower price point, IMO. I can't imagine getting enough below $500 to justify a new SKU just by ditching the disk drive, but... who knows maybe MS is just gonna burn all their cash. I can see a case being made though, that MS/Publishers make more money on digital sales because there's no re-sale market.

I hope us all-digital customers aren't screwed like this gen, where old games are $5 new on PC, $10 used at gamestop, yet still $59.99 on xbox. Or where physical pre-orders are $50 yet MS digital pre-orders are still $60. Felt misaligned.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The Brad Sams guy who first leaked the Series S price has seen nothing on this and thinks that slide is fake so I'm going with him.

Among other things simply removing the disc drive would not let them slice a third of the chimney off, that shit is needed for cooling.

We could see an all-digital Series X but it would probably be named that and look different.

there are also two different rumours around it neither of which make sense.

one is that its a diskless Series X in which case why wouldn't the just call it the Series X All Digital Edition like they did with the One S ADE, and if its just a diskless Series X, with all the same tech in it bar the disk drive, why are its dimensions so different?

the other rumour is that its less powerful than the Series X but more powerful than the Series S and will cost $399, but that just seems like adding needless confusion. who would that be for?

and yeah, no one who's in the know seems to have heard anything about it. the Series S was known about for a long time by those with contacts, long enough for there to be various leaks about its existence. if there as a third model someone would have heard about it, it most likely would have been included in the leak that lead to the early Series S reveal, it would have been mentioned on the controller packaging we saw weeks ago.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I wasn't sure how locked in that one was, but I wanted it to be true just for the name memes we'd see

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You can't have three active versions of the same system, now you're being silly Microsoft.

This feels a lot like when the Porsche Cayman was made literally to be the middle ground between the Boxster and the 911.

• Options
    so apparently Phil Spencer has been amusing himself during lockdown by trolling us all.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You can't have three active versions of the same system, now you're being silly Microsoft.

This feels a lot like when the Porsche Cayman was made literally to be the middle ground between the Boxster and the 911.

To this day all Porsche cars look identical to me. I know people love them but man they aren’t visually appealing to me.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

To this day all Porsche cars look identical to me. I know people love them but man they aren’t visually appealing to me.

they're just elongated VW bugs, makes sense

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

they're just elongated VW bugs, makes sense

Not a selling point!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The Brad Adams guy who first leaked the Series S price has seen nothing on this and thinks that slide is fake so I'm going with him.

Yeah no MS isn’t making a 3rd sku with a different power level

Hell I doubt they would have a 3rd sky with a different motherboard designed already

• Options

Hell I doubt they would have a 3rd sky with a different motherboard designed already

I like the other rumor better, that it's a chromecast-like device for xCloud streaming.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so apparently Phil Spencer has been amusing himself during lockdown by trolling us all.

Phil Spencer's been trolling the shit out of us all these months.

No wonder he's in such a good mood all the time.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

There was the PSP, the PSP Slim, and the PSP Go on shelves at one brief time ... oh, wait, that ended in tragedy.

• Options
    Vita means life. Man the vita memes were more popular then the console.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Maybe an upgrade setup like You could get with a phone plan?

In 2 years trade your Series S for a Series V. Just get a new 2 year plan.

That way everyone gets 4k at some point.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I'm stoked Xbox is going DV/Atmos route, as all my stuff supports that. I've been reading up on Tempest, but it seems tough ot do. I would assume to use it you'd need an AVR that supports it... Considering Sony doesn't really make those, do they expect all the AVR makers to patch every AVR to now support tempest? I assume they'd also charge a fee, which I don't think makers will want to pay on devices they've already sold. Sounds like Tempest is gonna be DOA --- feels like MiniDisc/MemoryStick all over again where no other groups are going to support it.

Is there something I'm missing? Is the technology free for AVR Mfg's to implement?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Their old front-engined cars (928, 944 etc) looked great. Shame they don't do ones like those any more.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

There was the PSP, the PSP Slim, and the PSP Go on shelves at one brief time ... oh, wait, that ended in tragedy.
    Those 3 were never on the shelves at the same time (barring used or a store finding outdated back stock). The Go was available at the same time as the slim models but the slim fully replaced the original model in manufacturing.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    "Improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR" sounds good, and was what I expected--excluding HDR, because quite obviously that was already a feature of both Xbox One consoles.

(Both Xbox Series consoles support Dolby Vision, which was announced recently, but that's not super helpful even for most people who own HDR-capable televisions.)

The auto HDR isn’t something that is in the current gen. You may not have watched the Digital Foundry or listened to the podcast where this is talked about, but auto HDR isn’t using the HDR coding in the game - current Xbox One consoles definitely do this - what auto HDR is is a process wherein even a 360 or Original Xbox game, which couldn’t have had this gen’s HDR can have HDR added using AI algorithms. This means that even if the developer doesn’t add HDR to the game, all games used on the Series S or X Will have HDR color/lighting support. It’s a pretty awesome feature and NOT one that is currently on any platform.

• Options
    https://www.gamesradar.com/entire-xbox-series-x-briefing-leaks-online/

Looks like this was the original price reveal for everything before the leak... So the leak got leaked so they scrapped the stream, only for that to leak too

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    They handled it really well I think. Xbox may lack exclusives compared to Sony, but they make up for it IMO by just being so cool about everything. It doesn't hurt that Phil just seems like the most down to earth chill dude.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Spawnwave seems to be the first to review? the 8bitdo "SN30 pro for Xbox Cloud Gaming on Android" controller (yes that is its real name). Its mostly what I expected, a cool retro controller that is really terrible as a phone mount because you have no handles to support the weight of an attached phone. However it has some advances over the SN30 pro, in that those tiny triggers are actually analog (and you can flip them to acting digital with a button), and you can fully customize the control mapping with the same windows software that works with the SN30 Pro Plus. So this looks like a great companion to an Android tablet, including the recent Surface Duo in tent mode (if you can stomach a big divider in the middle of your screen.) He unfortunately failed to comment whether this thing can pair to anything other than Android, it seems that Xbox is definitely out at least, but its weird if PC isn't supported as x-input.

https://youtu.be/_tNCNp9_Atw

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So, unfortunately, 'Toots' Hibbert died from, apparently, covid related issues.

I bring this up because he was the Toots in Toots and the Maytals. They had a song in GTASA and I was considering replaying it recently. So now I will. And listen to more KJAH that usual.

• Options
    I am low key annoyed that San Andreas is there but vice city isn’t . Would like a collection of the old games .

• Options
    I got the double pack of III and Vice City for oXbox. So there is that. The problem I have with those (much as Vice City is my favourite) is the controls were mapped from PS2 and they aren't Xbox friendly. Also, I'm a dope who goes for 100% everytime and the Rampages can be less than fun with the control mapping.

There is also a bug in all editions of Vice City where the wrong gangs appear for the Rampages. So by the end of the game, going for 100%, your most hated gang is the Cubans. And I came to loathe the Hatians because they are the only ones who shoot on site and they spawn inside the cab business making it annoying to collect the money. And it takes a while to kill enough of the gang to out them at the top of the list.

There is also a bug on the oXbox version where the sound will drop out requiring you to exit the game and reatart.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    "Improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR" sounds good, and was what I expected--excluding HDR, because quite obviously that was already a feature of both Xbox One consoles.

(Both Xbox Series consoles support Dolby Vision, which was announced recently, but that's not super helpful even for most people who own HDR-capable televisions.)

The auto HDR isn’t something that is in the current gen. You may not have watched the Digital Foundry or listened to the podcast where this is talked about, but auto HDR isn’t using the HDR coding in the game - current Xbox One consoles definitely do this - what auto HDR is is a process wherein even a 360 or Original Xbox game, which couldn’t have had this gen’s HDR can have HDR added using AI algorithms. This means that even if the developer doesn’t add HDR to the game, all games used on the Series S or X Will have HDR color/lighting support. It’s a pretty awesome feature and NOT one that is currently on any platform.

Oh, so it's a B.C. specific feature. I stand correct, that's pretty cool. They've talked about the implementation with Fusion Frenzy I think.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I gotta say microsoft has been pretty smart at this gaming thing. They've included backwards compatibility in their last 2 machines, even if og xbox support was limited on the 360, and on their next one. They've also done a great job creating an ecosystem you buy into with games with gold, and now game pass. I remember considering getting a ps4 over the xbox one, but now that I'm so bought in, I can never leave the xbox ecosystem.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Borderlands 3 gets a free upgrade on next gen
    Both S and X get 4-player splitscreen, 4k60FPS single player on Series X

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Whoa, so couch co-op on current consoles? I may buy it to play it with the gf. Haven't touched borderlands since the original. She loves diablo, likes shooting games but is bad at them. If I can carry her she'd like this. She loved gears of war.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The Series X and S sit at $750 AUD and $500AUD down here, which seriously fucking hurts

Knowing I won't need to spend additional money to start with a games library because of Game Pass really helps, but given I don't know the price of the expandable storage I think I'm willing to wait for some deals/sales before I jump in.

It'll be a win-win for me anyway waiting for the games library to mature a little bit first

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Whoa, so couch co-op on current consoles? I may buy it to play it with the gf. Haven't touched borderlands since the original. She loves diablo, likes shooting games but is bad at them. If I can carry her she'd like this. She loved gears of war.

Current-gen has had 2-player horizontal split screen since launch, like the other Borderlands games. It's getting a vertical option soon.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

Current-gen has had 2-player horizontal split screen since launch, like the other Borderlands games. It's getting a vertical option soon.

I don't get why they'd do one and not the other. Is it more cpu intensive ?

• Options
    Sorry Hector, nobody is gonna confirm that

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    The Series X and S sit at $750 AUD and $500AUD down here, which seriously fucking hurts

Knowing I won't need to spend additional money to start with a games library because of Game Pass really helps, but given I don't know the price of the expandable storage I think I'm willing to wait for some deals/sales before I jump in.

It'll be a win-win for me anyway waiting for the games library to mature a little bit first

US the 1TB SSD expansion cards are $220 based on gamestop computers it appears. That means get help figure out what they likely will be there.

• Options

US the 1TB SSD expansion cards are $220 based on gamestop computers it appears. That means get help figure out what they likely will be there.

and 'leaks' from retail sites were putting the Series X at $599 a couple months back. i think its best to wait for an official number at this point, especially when the rumour puts it at almost the same price as the Series S.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Several days later, and that Series S situation is still really wacky to me. Long story short, it's very hard to predict whether it will be a smart way to attract an audience that doesn't want to spend as much or if it'll mostly just baffle and annoy people. Uncharted territory continues.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm currently debating in my head to pre-order normally or look at doing the All-Access for my Series X.

The $35 a month is beyond easy for me to accommodate and I could put the other $400+ towards property taxes on my car and what little long term debt I'm currently carrying.

Decisions...decisions.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Huh. Somehow I didn't expect that kind of generosity from Gearbox. I would have thought they'd go the same greedy route as the publishers of 'Control' have.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    It's amazing what not having to pay for parking and having your travel expenses like gas be cut to like... nothing can do for your gaming budget. XD

was supposed to shift back to onsite this month... but it got pushed back to like next year practically. D:

though I am very happy that we're not as absolutely screwed as i said we'd be when people still were like "it's just like a cold."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Huh. Somehow I didn't expect that kind of generosity from Gearbox. I would have thought they'd go the same greedy route as the publishers of 'Control' have.

505 (publisher of Control) even got caught in their own lie, they said they couldnt just upgrade everyones version to Ultimate Edition (Which isnt even a real Ultimate, the DD edition has more content) but accidentally did just that on Steam very recently but quickly revoked that, now they hope you’ll believe their bullshit again.

Tldr: Released an Ultimate Edition with next gen upgrade, claims old versions cant get this upgrade and you’ll have to rebuy everything, (also your saves wont work with the UE) get caught in obvious lie.