As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I just noticed how the Xbox logo on the power button is aligned differently on the two consoles.

yup, it's aligned to how MS envisions most people will store the device. the crazy thing to me is that MS for months/ years now honestly thinks people have a place to sit the X vertically.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    So, here's an idea. What about if MS made (or merely branded) a reasonably-priced external optical drive for the Series S as an accessory?

That would instantly make Series S a much more attractive proposition for someone like me.

Off the top of my head, that would equate to one of the Seagate portable drives that are marketed by Xbox towards their users for the current generation, which currently exist. But by their nature they don't tend to be the best deal out there for portable drives lol

i think Jazz means a disc drive, not a hard drive. to get around low download speeds and data caps, or at least mitigate them depending on how much game data is actually stored in disc vs updates that need to be downloaded.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I just noticed how the Xbox logo on the power button is aligned differently on the two consoles.

yup, it's aligned to how MS envisions most people will store the device. the crazy thing to me is that MS for months/ years now honestly thinks people have a place to sit the X vertically.

I think the only place I have where I could currently sit one vertically is on top of my subwoofer, which is obviously not ideal!

But then, since everything changed here, where everything goes is all kind of a work-in-progress... so maybe I'll figure somewhere in due course.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    The S is so cool. It’s so cool people are grabbing at straws on what it can’t do to complain about it.

“1440p console can’t do 4K backwards compatibility! Can’t make 2TB NvME drives cost $20!”

Non issues. And NvME drives will come down in price over time. If a $300 next gen console is too expensive, that’s ok. XB1 still has a lot of games coming, and xCloud is a fantastic alternative/conplement too.

• Options
    i will say i think it's dumb the Series S can't play xbone X versions of BC games, like if it's not more powerful than the Xbone X.. just get a xbone x?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I doubt most people care about how well their BC titles are running if they got the budget machine. They've already compromised on which Xbox they wanted anyways

• Options
    i will say i think it's dumb the Series S can't play xbone X versions of BC games, like if it's not more powerful than the Xbone X.. just get a xbone x?

that would probably be, at least partially, why they discontinued the One X a couple months back.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the number of people who care about backwards compatibility at all is a small fraction.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I don't think this is even accurate. The game will play on your Series S, just at 1440 not 4k. 'Cant't play the X version' is an extremely disingenuous framing!

And yes the S is more powerful, faster CPU etc; the new games coming out for the Series S won't be able to run on a One X. So yeah, if the only thing you care about is running old games in native 4k, then the One X is your bet, but I can't imagine that is a major use case.

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the number of people who care about backwards compatibility at all is a small fraction.

I wonder about this. Some of my own most played titles are BC ones, like Skate 3. Now whenever Skate 4 hits it may be rotated out, but there's plenty of BC titles that have high player counts across both platforms.

Not to mention the Mario collection is breaking sales records so there's absolutely an appetite for classic games

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »

I don't think this is even accurate. The game will play on your Series S, just at 1440 not 4k. 'Cant't play the X version' is an extremely disingenuous framing!

And yes the S is more powerful, faster CPU etc; the new games coming out for the Series S won't be able to run on a One X. So yeah, if the only thing you care about is running old games in native 4k, then the One X is your bet, but I can't imagine that is a major use case.

? no this is super accurate. the Series S does not play BC games with their Xbone X enhancements

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It is more powerful, it just doesn't run in native 4k, so there's no reason to run 4k enhancements, which are primarily what One X enhancements are. Instead it gets its own enhancements, including retroactive HDR, which is bonkers.

• Options

? no this is super accurate. the Series S does not play BC games with their Xbone X enhancements

Sure, but the S still plays the game. Maybe I'm misreading your initial post, but its coming off as if not being able to play the X version is locking you out of something So you're focusing on these specific X enhancements and then from there somehow going to the S must be less powerful and so what's the point of even buying one.

And there is more to power than just resolution. So it's not using the texture packs from the One X, but its going to load faster, drop less frames, etc

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    So, here's an idea. What about if MS made (or merely branded) a reasonably-priced external optical drive for the Series S as an accessory?

That would instantly make Series S a much more attractive proposition for someone like me.

Off the top of my head, that would equate to one of the Seagate portable drives that are marketed by Xbox towards their users for the current generation, which currently exist. But by their nature they don't tend to be the best deal out there for portable drives lol

i think Jazz means a disc drive, not a hard drive. to get around low download speeds and data caps, or at least mitigate them depending on how much game data is actually stored in disc vs updates that need to be downloaded.

Oh, right.

I mean, that would be a portable blu-ray player at this point. That would be pretty funky to see if they could implement that, but then if they could get away with the disc drive being an optional pack-in they probably would have done it for the Series X

• Options

Editedit: No known changes to game pass apart from the EA Access inclusion and the PC game pass price change.

I wanted to revisit this as my initial question wasn't clearly stated. Currently with 1 gamepass account I have:
    • Xbox 360 signed in (with Live & access to all main account games)
    • Xbox One S signed in (Home xbox, all kids accounts work with all gamepass games)
    • Xbox One X signed in (Main account, Live+Gamepass only works if main account is signed in)

They are not cross-play compatible for games that are on both 360 vs One, but I can be signed in on the same account across two gen's.

So what's the deal with X Series. I'd guess the questions below are intertwined:
    • Can you play Halo Infinite co-op with 1 X1X and 1 XSX?
    • Can I be signed in on the same account at the same time on X1X and XSX?
    • Can I have 2 separate "home" consoles across X1X and XSX?

My suspicion is no, because it sounds like 1 and Series are the same overall infrastructure with crossplay, whereas 360 and 1 were very separate. I tried googling the answer but it seems to be buried in all the "Series X compatible" and games developed for both X1 and XSX. Anyone know the answer here?

• Options
    Trojan35 wrote: »

Editedit: No known changes to game pass apart from the EA Access inclusion and the PC game pass price change.

I wanted to revisit this as my initial question wasn't clearly stated. Currently with 1 gamepass account I have:
    • Xbox 360 signed in (with Live & access to all main account games)
    • Xbox One S signed in (Home xbox, all kids accounts work with all gamepass games)
    • Xbox One X signed in (Main account, Live+Gamepass only works if main account is signed in)

They are not cross-play compatible for games that are on both 360 vs One, but I can be signed in on the same account across two gen's.

So what's the deal with X Series. I'd guess the questions below are intertwined:
    • Can you play Halo Infinite co-op with 1 X1X and 1 XSX?
    • Can I be signed in on the same account at the same time on X1X and XSX?
    • Can I have 2 separate "home" consoles across X1X and XSX?

My suspicion is no, because it sounds like 1 and Series are the same overall infrastructure with crossplay, whereas 360 and 1 were very separate. I tried googling the answer but it seems to be buried in all the "Series X compatible" and games developed for both X1 and XSX. Anyone know the answer here?

on the first point i would assume so. i can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't be able to play co-op with someone on a different SKU. Bungie for instance have announced that Destiny 2 will be cross-play across generations within the same console family, so even if you upgrade to next gen and your friends don't you'll still be able to play together. MS seem to have worked pretty hard on ensuring compatibility across the board and i see no reason why that wouldn't include 1st party Play Anywhere titles.

second point, i believe MS confirmed recently that they're planning to allow players to be logged in on more than one Xbox console simultaneously but i'm not sure if they gave a time frame for when that will happen.

lastly, no. as it stands now you can only have one Home console, and i don't see any chance of that changing.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Thanks! Although logged in on two consoles solves my problem, if I can access gamepass on both as well. Worst case is I have to sign up for a 2nd gamepass account and do the account juggling thingy.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    This is a weird thing people are arguing with me about.

I think the Series S is a great console and good for most people, especially as most people have 1080p TVs (like me!). But either way it's still dumb it isn't using the Xbone X versions, you take the 4k resolutions and you render them out in 1080, that's still going to look better than it would at native 1080. or you take those 4k textures, down them to 1440, then push them out at a scaled up 4k, ya it won't look as good as native 4k but it'll still look better than the 1080 textures would have. The X version of the games are specifically the ones with faster loading, and steadier framerates, if the Series S is using the Xbone S verion of the games, you aren't getting those benefits.

This is wild to me because I can't imagine the Series S is actually less powerful than the Xbone X, I don't get why they'd do it this way instead of just saying runs Xbone X version of games at 1440p upscaled or downscaled to whatever resolution your TV is at.

edit - interesting, the Series S, although much faster processor wise, has a GPU less powerful than the Xbone X sounds like
    edit 2 - also this is cool, wikipedia has a list of all xbone x enhanced games and what those enhancements are for those specific games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_enhanced_games

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    This is a weird thing people are arguing with me about.

I think the Series S is a great console and good for most people, especially as most people have 1080p TVs (like me!). But either way it's still dumb it isn't using the Xbone X versions, you take the 4k resolutions and you render them out in 1080, that's still going to look better than it would at native 1080. or you take those 4k textures, down them to 1440, then push them out at a scaled up 4k, ya it won't look as good as native 4k but it'll still look better than the 1080 textures would have. The X version of the games are specifically the ones with faster loading, and steadier framerates, if the Series S is using the Xbone S verion of the games, you aren't getting those benefits.

This is wild to me because I can't imagine the Series S is actually less powerful than the Xbone X, I don't get why they'd do it this way instead of just saying runs Xbone X version of games at 1440p upscaled or downscaled to whatever resolution your TV is at.

Because the S is doing its own enhancements. It's putting its power towards making the games look good in 1080/1440, not shoehorning 4k textures into non-4k resolutions, wasting bandwidth and harddrive space.

• Options
    The Series S has 10GB of RAM, the Xbone X has 12GB. That alone precludes the Series S from running Xbone X games at full whack.

• Options
    The Series S has 10GB of RAM, the Xbone X has 12GB. That alone precludes the Series S from running Xbone X games at full whack.

GDDR 5 vs GDDR 6 RAM though, right?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I think we're just talking past each other with this vaguely defined 'One X Enhancements'.

From the IGN article https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-s-will-not-run-xbox-one-x-enhanced-versions-of-backwards-compatible-games
    As reported by VGC, while the Xbox Series S won't run the Xbox One X Enhanced versions of Xbox One and Xbox 360 games, it will still be a step above the Xbox One S with "improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times, and Auto HDR."

So going out a little on a limb, it sounds to me they are taking advantage of the better CPU and drive of the Series S to implement the equivalent of the 'One X Enhancements', while leaving out the 4k texture pack processing. And maybe its personal preference, but more than doubling the install footprint of most games for textures that you will just add more processing overhead to downscale doesn't make any sense to me. I'd rather they use that processing power for more useful things!

Edit
    Corrected, sorry should be more careful with language

eMoander on
  • Options
    Backwards compatible games don't have texture packs, those are for Xbox One games specifically designed or updated to take advantage of the Xbox One X's hardware/enhanced capabilities.

Most backwards compatible updates was along the lines of better texture filtering, faster framerates and 4k resolutions. the Series S is dropping the 4K, because it's not a 4K device. Somehow they're adding HDR to those games though, which is way more impressive IMO.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm curious what sort of framerates Series S will deliver in games that have 30/60fps modes on Xbone X, like The Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 4, etc (at least before they get Series S/X versions, which some will). 1080p modes would run at 60fps on Xbone X.

It seems like it'll likely be 30 on Series S, but maybe it'll just clean up instabilities in framerates or something? But the 60fps modes are something Series S could do in its sleep.

Jazz on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It really seems like something that shouldn't work, and they don't provide instructions to do so really, but it's awesome they support this feature. Although I do miss family gold.
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    Thanks! Although logged in on two consoles solves my problem, if I can access gamepass on both as well. Worst case is I have to sign up for a 2nd gamepass account and do the account juggling thingy.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2020

Its not accurate at all.

the Xbox One X won't be able to do raytracing on cyberpunk, or even play nextgen games once they make the jump. The Series S can.

What the series S cannot do is render native 4k for gaming. There isn't enough VRAM for it, for one. The GPU can be weaker than the Series X (though more powerful than the One X when doing 1080p things) because it doesn't need to rasterize that many pixels.

The Series S is not a 4K machine.

The One X enhancements were almost all, to a "t", based on 4K.

You will notice though, that the Series S "does" do auto HDR, better frame rates, etc. etc. on xbox one and 360 games. So, in fact, "better" than a One X in all ways but 4K.

If you want a 4K box, they sell one of those. If you have a 1080p TV, save 200 bucks.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Its not accurate at all.

the Xbox One X won't be able to do raytracing on cyberpunk, or even play nextgen games once they make the jump. The Series S can.

What the series S cannot do is render native 4k for gaming. There isn't enough VRAM for it, for one. The GPU can be weaker than the Series X (though more powerful than the One X when doing 1080p things) because it doesn't need to rasterize that many pixels.

You will notice though, that the Series S "does" do auto HDR, better frame rates, etc. etc. on xbox one and 360 games. So, in fact, "better" than a One X in all ways but 4K.

If you want a 4K box, they sell one of those. If you have a 1080p TV, save 200 bucks.

The no disk drive could be a problem for some people though. They have to be saving only like $6 a console by not including one.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Its not accurate at all.

The no disk drive could be a problem for some people though. They have to be saving only like $6 a console by not including one.

$6 a console, 50 million consoles sold... Saved the company $300 million.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    On a different note how’s the crash bandicoot remake trilogy? Would someone who never played the originals but likes that style of game enjoy them? Anything bad about the remakes?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    On a different note how’s the crash bandicoot remake trilogy? Would someone who never played the originals but likes that style of game enjoy them? Anything bad about the remakes?

The good is it's extremely faithful remake. The bad is that many silly games (such as the forward flipping Lily pad game) are just as frustrating and unclear as the originals, in fact in some ways harder to tell why you messed up or missed. For better or worse, it's shiny Crash Bandicoot. I expect Crash 4 to be better

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Its not accurate at all.

Charge $10 more, make $200 million.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Its not accurate at all.

309.99 is a bad price bront.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

The good is it's extremely faithful remake. The bad is that many silly games (such as the forward flipping Lily pad game) are just as frustrating and unclear as the originals, in fact in some ways harder to tell why you messed up or missed. For better or worse, it's shiny Crash Bandicoot. I expect Crash 4 to be better

Yeah I’m going in expecting old school annoyances, but just thought I’d get the bundle since it’s on sale with crash racing, which I did play back in the day and have nostalgia for

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Its not accurate at all.

Then do 324.99 and make even more.

• Options

Its not accurate at all.

That's why I'd want one as an add-on. If that was available I'd probably pre-order a Series S and jump on it day one. As it stands I'll hold out for a Series X probably sometime next year... or the year after, depends.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Its not accurate at all.

Then do 324.99 and make even more.

Why stop there? $399.99.

Boom $100 a console. Hookers and blackjack for everyone!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Still not able to switch from a home unit to a PC with the streaming, yeah?

Been on Stadia since launch and that feature is like magic for me.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Apparently modern consoles have signatures that lock their optical drive to the console motherboard they shipped with. Making an external drive extremely unlikely.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The series S not having as much ram as the 1x is the thing I saw being the limiting factor to it doing 4k like the 1x.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think if MS can just put out a video showing an Xbox Series S, doing ray-tracing on a game, vs the X1X, doing 4k but no ray-tracing, people will stop worrying about the XSS's graphics capabilities. Something like what nvidia did to show ray-tracing on their 30's for Watch Dogs: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/rtx/

Trojan35 on