As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqbNaxO82g

Yakuza 7 is getting an English dub

Like Judgment, 2 sets of subtitles, one for the English dub and one for Japanese. IGN has more info, including an early cast list (including George Takei?!): https://www.ign.com/articles/yakuza-like-a-dragon-ps5-series-x-english-dub-george-takei-release-date

Preorders are now up, bonuses and collector's editions:
    • Day Ichi Edition ($60, physical/digital on PS4/Xbox One/Xbox Series X/PC): This is the preorder/day 1 edition, physical comes with a Steelbook, comes with a set of classic Yakuza costumes for your party
    • Hero Edition ($70, digital only): comes with 2 new Job classes for your characters (the Matriarch and Devil Rocker) along with extra employees for the management sim part of the game
    • Legendary Hero Edition ($100, digital only): comes with the Hero stuff plus extra stat-boosting equipment, more costumes, karaoke tracks you can play in your office, and extra crafting materials
    PS4, Xbox One, Steam, and Windows Store all come out on the same day this November. The Xbox Series X version will be a launch title for the system, however the PS5 version is coming later, it's a next gen timed exclusive for the Series X.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    They look like they'll work great. They also look like they're going to be very expensive, but we knew that coming in.

Also, given what we know about the PS5, expanding the storage on that is going ot be LUDICROUSLY expensive.

Like, when this news first came out for the Series X, I cringed. Now it's looking like they'll be the cheaper of the two, which is nuts.

My plan is to get a big, slow external drive, and use it for temp installs.

Unless the Seagate 1 tb drives are cheaper that a 4 tb external 3.5 inch drive, but I doubt it.

I currently have 2.25gb total storage, and find myself deleting and reinstalling games on a regular basis, damn my fickle heart.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    They look like they'll work great. They also look like they're going to be very expensive, but we knew that coming in.

Also, given what we know about the PS5, expanding the storage on that is going ot be LUDICROUSLY expensive.

Like, when this news first came out for the Series X, I cringed. Now it's looking like they'll be the cheaper of the two, which is nuts.

Yeah, that too. Given the faster graphical processing, CPU processing, and greater storage advantage on the Series X, I could still kind of picture it being more expensive than the Playstation 5 with its faster storage. That's what the Series S could be for.

But I could also see the PS5 being more expensive, and that's what the disc-free version is for (just matching the Series X price).

Mostly I'm still surprised by how huge the thing is. I thought Sony would've learned their lesson from the PSFro. Not that it matters after the initial "Christ this thing is huge," shock wears off.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, predictions time!

Event is supposed to be 1 hour, with a preshow with a few reveals in it. I'm guessing the pre-show reveals will be for smaller stuff, indies and dlc, plus any last gen stuff that's been on the hopper for awhile. I'm guessing that Gears5 sp dlc that was rumored (based on a snippet of cutscene), Gears Tactics Xbox, any new Sea of Thieves stuff, Battletoads, Psychonauts 2, maybe Wasteland 3 though that's out in a month, Grounded coming out in game preview. Stuff like that.

Full event

Confident
    10-ish minutes on Halo Infinite (split between footage and talking)

10-ish minutes on Forza (split between footage and talking)

5-ish minutes on Fable 4, Evenwild and Hellblade 2

Maybe
    5-ish minutes on Perfect Dark
    10-ish minutes on third party collaborations

Not super confident
    5-ish minutes on a new Obsidian Game
    5-ish minutes on a new Undead Labs game

Doubtful
    -Elden Ring
    -The Initiative's new game

Definitely won't be there
    -Anything related to Banjo-Kazooie
    -Anything related to Lockhart, a price or service changes

Man, sounds super boring when I spell it out like that. Hopefully they have some surprises in there.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, I don't really care for what looks like Infinite's desperation to evoke nostalgia at every turn. I know it's what the vocal masses want but after coming off Gears 5 where the Coalition has absolutely successfully forged a new visual and gameplay identity for itself despite the hate, 343's whole front-facing shtick has been "REMEMBER THIS? REMEMBER THOSE?" which feels like a regression rather than them building on and improving what they made for themselves, which seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I don't necessarily want just the same shit from before just because it was good before

Oh well, I'm sure it'll turn out fine enough

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm going to be honest, I don't really care for what looks like Infinite's desperation to evoke nostalgia at every turn. I know it's what the vocal masses want but after coming off Gears 5 where the Coalition has absolutely successfully forged a new visual and gameplay identity for itself despite the hate, 343's whole front-facing shtick has been "REMEMBER THIS? REMEMBER THOSE?" which feels like a regression rather than them building on and improving what they made for themselves, which seems like a wasted opportunity to me. I don't necessarily want just the same shit from before just because it was good before

Oh well, I'm sure it'll turn out fine enough

I wouldn't worry too much. Halo 2 faced a really angry backlash (which endured well into Halo 3's lifetime). It's pretty normal for a franchise to capitalize on nostalgic imagery and symbolism after a long break and, let's be frank, the whole Master Chief Collection is by definition one long, massive nostalgia trip. They've already dropped a very specific hint that the Banished will feature, at least initially if not through the whole game, which puts the game contemporaneous with Halo Wars 2 and around 2560, which would also put it in the wake of the Created Conflict that came up in Halo 5. It's not surprising they'd want to tie HW2 to it as well, an it gives them an opportunity to move away from fighting the Guardians if that's what they want. None of this, so far, seems too surprising--though I'm starting to suspect all the people screaming "FRANCHISE REBOOT CONFIRMED!" might be setting themselves up for disappointment, I can't say anything for certain.

They've got multiplayer figured out--343i has easily the best creative tool suite in the business, and Halo 5's online stability was near-flawless at launch (unlike COD and Battlefield), and the creative community has kept the population very healthy for a game its age. How many other console shooters out in 2015 still have dozens of populated custom matches any evening? Even Overwatch isn't that old. So that leaves the story. Guess we'll wait and see?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Okay, predictions time!

Event is supposed to be 1 hour, with a preshow with a few reveals in it. I'm guessing the pre-show reveals will be for smaller stuff, indies and dlc, plus any last gen stuff that's been on the hopper for awhile. I'm guessing that Gears5 sp dlc that was rumored (based on a snippet of cutscene), Gears Tactics Xbox, any new Sea of Thieves stuff, Battletoads, Psychonauts 2, maybe Wasteland 3 though that's out in a month, Grounded coming out in game preview. Stuff like that.

Full event

Confident
    10-ish minutes on Halo Infinite (split between footage and talking)

10-ish minutes on Forza (split between footage and talking)

5-ish minutes on Fable 4, Evenwild and Hellblade 2

Maybe
    5-ish minutes on Perfect Dark
    10-ish minutes on third party collaborations

Not super confident
    5-ish minutes on a new Obsidian Game
    5-ish minutes on a new Undead Labs game

Doubtful
    -Elden Ring
    -The Initiative's new game

Definitely won't be there
    -Anything related to Banjo-Kazooie
    -Anything related to Lockhart, a price or service changes

Man, sounds super boring when I spell it out like that. Hopefully they have some surprises in there.

Actuality: no Perfect Dark, no Fable, just twenty to thirty games you've never or barely heard of before. :lol:

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sounds like a slightly off Steve Blum

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Unless sony totally fucks up backwards compatibility again, i suspect the next gen and future gens will depend on what ecosystem you bought into and your old games will play on.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I had a go with both the 'Ars Fabulae' and 'Haven' demos. I've downloaded about 10 out of that list so there's still a lot more to try and get through.

Of the two, 'Haven' feels very early alpha, and doesn't control very well at all for a game where you're floating around an alien world with anti-gravity boots on your feet. I liked the VO and the writing though, lots of little conversations between a couple alone on their crashed ship, on the run, from some nebulous highly advanced space-faring society. It's FPP when you're walking around the interior of the ship and third-person outside scooting around collecting food and also energy for the ship. The combat could use some more/better tutorialising and it all feels very rough and very early but I think there's a gem of a good game in there.

'Ars Fabulae' is a bit harder to describe. It's part walking simulator as you explore a derelict and decaying theatre as the former wife and widow of the theatre's former owner. It's implied but not explicitly stated that maybe he died of cancer?
    As you explore the theatre you find masks (that may or may not be magical? Or maybe she's just reminiscing when she puts them on?) that take you to third-person puzzle sections/scenarios that are meant to represent plays written by the theatre's owner in his final dying days. The second of these scenarios felt a lot more buggy (Eg I would hit a button to get an elevator to move and nothing would happen), where you simultaneously control two robots escaping from a futuristic factory.

The walking simulator portion felt a lot closer to being in a finished state. A little detail I couldn't help but notice - She wears high heeled shoes in very muddy/unsuitable terrain (or rotting floorboards) and they've clearly only done the foley work for her walking on what sounds like ceramic tiles. You can even jump in them! Very unrealistic, speaking from personal experience. :lol:

The art style in these scenarios is very nice though. :)

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I posted a small thread with what I'd like to see on Twitter:

More there, of course.

I'm doubtful of most of it, but oh man, wouldn't it be nice?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Unless sony totally fucks up backwards compatibility again, i suspect the next gen and future gens will depend on what ecosystem you bought into and your old games will play on.

Sony has occasionally downplayed BC expectations. Probably the right move: they have a mediocre-to-very bad reputation in this area, between good hardware support a long time ago to actually removing it and hoping no one would notice to the BC failure that is PSNow for the last few years.

I also don't think it matters as much, even to their audience base. They're probably more used to have to re-buy their libraries than more PC or Xbox oriented audiences. If Sony meets their bare minimum standard--approximately a hundred of their most popular PS4 titles work on PS5--I think they'll be fine in this area.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh right, Battletoads completely vanished, didn't it? Still hopeful it's good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Despite, or perhaps relating to, the closure of their retail locations in the quarantine and the shut-down of Mixer, Microsoft made an assload this quarter, beating expectations for Q4 2020.

• Options
    lmao the YouTube link for Keighley's pre-show is ten minutes out and the chat is zooming at a million miles a minute, I don't even know why they bother

• Options
    lmao the YouTube link for Keighley's pre-show is ten minutes out and the chat is zooming at a million miles a minute, I don't even know why they bother

So like it always with Keighley or anyone else? :lol:

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    What times the show today, 9am Pacific?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Carpy wrote: »

pre-show is about to kick off right now. main show is in one hour from posting.

EDIT: pre-show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HnB7wz0UE&feature=youtu.be

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Pre-show starts now, full show starts in an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HnB7wz0UE

• Options
    I didn't know Dragon Quest was as old as I am. Huh.

• Options
    A definitive edition of a game that came out three years ago is pretty meh start.

Enjoying the doofy look on Geoff's face every time they come back from a trailer.

• Options
    Dragon Quest on Game Pass is fucking rad, that's some goodass content

• Options
    I'm sure he's lost without his beloved Kojima-senpai

• Options
    A definitive edition of a game that came out three years ago is pretty meh start.

Enjoying the doofy look on Geoff's face every time they come back from a trailer.

its a good way to start a pre-show though, and shows they're really following through on the commitment to get more Japanese games and more RPGs on Xbox. it coming to Game Pass is also very good news.

• Options
    Allanah Pierce with her favorite Cyberpunk 2077 chair.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    On goddamn, Dragon Quest? Amazing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I think I missed the point where Watch Dogs became Saint's Row. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh joy, the non-political civil disobediance game. Was totally clamoring to see more of this. :razz:

EDIT: I was about to edit this to be less negative, but apparently Ninja is here so bleh.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

its a good way to start a pre-show though, and shows they're really following through on the commitment to get more Japanese games and more RPGs on Xbox. it coming to Game Pass is also very good news.

This said, I feel like until recently it's only been primarily Square Enix playing ball. Hopefully with Sega recently coming in as well we'll see an even better variety

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh joy, the non-political civil disobediance game. Was totally clamoring to see more of this. :razz:

EDIT: I was about to edit this to be less negative, but apparently Ninja is here so bleh.

Well, Halo 5's MM is one of the least terrible out there (looking at you, Overwatch), so he's getting that at least.
    Wraith260 wrote: »

This said, I feel like until recently it's only been primarily Square Enix playing ball. Hopefully with Sega recently coming in as well we'll see an even better variety

Would be very happy to see more Sega, definitely.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This game has a hell of an artstyle.

Sort of a Minecraft meets Inside, but as a turn based RPG?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yo Echo Generation looks fucking sick

• Options
    ok, Echo Generation looks pretty nifty.

• Options
    This game has a hell of an artstyle.

Sort of a Minecraft meets Inside, but as a turn based RPG?

Voxel art is the new 16-bit sprites.

• Options
    I'm not ready for people to talk about playing Halo 3 when they were kids. Tell time to slow its roll!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Hoping the showcase proper goes like the PS5 one and cuts all the content creator nonsense.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Hoping the showcase proper goes like the PS5 one and cuts all the content creator nonsense.

Microsoft streams tend to be really chatty in general.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think I missed the point where Watch Dogs became Saint's Row. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Low-hanging fruit is just so easy to grasp.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

well this is Keighley's show and the pre and post are largely on expectations and reactions with some reveals sprinkled in. this pre-show isn't on the official Xbox channels, its just been arranged around it for extra hype. the actual show will more likely be just games, and maybe some devs, a lot closer to the 3rd party showcase they had back in May.