As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Will the Xbox Series support like... an Alexa or other friendly corporate-listening-device, so should we just expect there to be no voice commands at all?

Actually Xbox works with Alexa and Google devices already, but it's basic

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So, if you want an order from the Xbox Design Lab, you can save $10 on a controller before they go on hiatus on the 14th.

(Apologies if this has already been brought up, I know Design Lab's hiatus has been.)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I like how my TV and Xbox talk to each other, so the Xbox can go "I'm playing a game now" and the TV goes "Okay, we're going to game mode" and then the Xbox can be like "I'm playing a blu-ray now" and the TV goes "Time for some Cinema mode!"

It'll even accept commands from the TV remote (didn't even have to program anything!), but sadly the remote doesn't have anything beside play, pause and directional buttons on it so my Xbox media remote still has purpose.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'd like something for voice, for a very specific use case. The F1 games use voice commands for talking to your pit engineer, and it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to use the D-pad to pick out what you want to say instead mid-race. Trouble is, the Xbox One versions only ever supported it through Kinect (I never had one). One reason I lean towards the PC versions of those games, because they can use any old microphone - even the mic array on my laptop is fine.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    3wjq87tz4ago.png
    what was it! :(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Xbox unboxing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Xbox unboxing.

Ironic that a video about unboxing an Xbox is now basically just an X.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Xbox unboxing.

Ironic that a video about unboxing an Xbox is now basically just an X.

an X in a Box no less.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Brad Sams still has his analysis over stills taken from said video.

https://youtu.be/2rJIP6s1eQ8

• Options
    Idle thought that occurs to me about the Xbox Series machines. They don't appear to have an IR receiver for a media remote. Now, I know that the receiver was concealed on the OG Xbox One (before becoming clearly visible on the One S and X when the IR blaster was added to the console), so I wonder if that's the case, or if there's some other solution.

Hopefully it's not just "no media remote, sorry".

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Glad XSX is finally getting HDMI CEC.

Stupid question, is the Xbox Cyberpunk pre-order a digital version? I swear it used to let me choose digital or physical, but this doesn't seem to give me an option. And I can't find the words digital or disc anywhere on the page up until I hit "confirm" on check out.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/cyberpunk-2077

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Anyone else obsessively checking their preorder? No just me. Ok just checking.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I check my Amazon order everyday, probably 2-3 times. I'm so worried it won't be here day 1.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I check my Amazon order everyday, probably 2-3 times. I'm so worried it won't be here day 1.

Yeah I got mine from microsoft but I think I got regular shipping since I was desperately just trying to order the damn thing. So I'll probably get mine five days later.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've been away from home for a couple weeks, are there any other pre-order situations coming up that I may have missed announcements for?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    There's something for tomorrow, but the site itself has abysmally bad reviews so I won't even bother linking it. It's on Wario64 twitter.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Question:

I had some fun on the Xbox 360 with various Avatar-oriented games, like Doritos Crash Course, or as a special racer in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.

But I haven't seen sny games that use the new Xbox Avatars. Does anyone know of any? Google is proving rather useless here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    Glad XSX is finally getting HDMI CEC.

Stupid question, is the Xbox Cyberpunk pre-order a digital version? I swear it used to let me choose digital or physical, but this doesn't seem to give me an option. And I can't find the words digital or disc anywhere on the page up until I hit "confirm" on check out.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/cyberpunk-2077

99.9% sure that's just digital - I didn't know they'd offer the option, honestly. For a physical edition, other retailers are available, of course.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Speaking of Cyberpunk 2077, I just paid a $100 premium for a X1X LE bundle. Should have it next week.

• Options
    Speaking of Cyberpunk 2077, I just paid a $100 premium for a X1X LE bundle. Should have it next week.

'Grats! It's ridiculously gorgeous.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man the performance on Yakuza Like A Dragon is really disappointing
    Series X: 4K/30, 1440p/60
    Series S: 1440p/30, 900p/60
    PS4 Pro: 1080p/30
    PS4: 900p/30

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    speaking of game pass,

Games leaving on October 15th:
    Felix the Reaper (Console & PC)
    Metro 2033 Redux (Console & PC)
    Minit (Console & PC)
    Saints Row IV Re-Elected (PC)
    State of Mind (PC)

Games leaving on the 30th:
    After Party (Console)
    LEGO Star Wars III (Console)
    Rise & Shine (Console)
    Tacoma (Console & PC)
    The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game (Console & PC)
    The Red Strings Club (PC)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Truth be told, I don't really care for fancy appearances. I wanted an X1X and all the other flavours/bundles were either unavailable, ridiculously expense, or used. If I had to, I would have gotten an X1S, but I am long over white consoles.

The only thing I lament about this purchase is that I'm paying more than I should. But in my mind I justify it as extra cost for the fancy packaging and free game.

It does look neat. But it also looks distracting.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/13/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-update/

Thought this was cool (the last bit)
    Simply insert your favorite backward compatible Xbox One, Xbox 360 or original Xbox disc into your Xbox Series X, install the game, and you’ll be ready to play. Your digital library will instantly appear and ready for download on the console when you sign in. If you’ve already installed your games to an external drive, you can bring that with you to the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. This all happens with no additional cost to you. And, with cloud saves, you’ll jump right back in where you left off. For those of you still enjoying Xbox 360, cloud saves will soon be free to all Xbox 360 users, making transferring your favorite games to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S even easier.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Truth be told, I don't really care for fancy appearances. I wanted an X1X and all the other flavours/bundles were either unavailable, ridiculously expense, or used. If I had to, I would have gotten an X1S, but I am long over white consoles.

The only thing I lament about this purchase is that I'm paying more than I should. But in my mind I justify it as extra cost for the fancy packaging and free game.

It does look neat. But it also looks distracting.

I wondered if mine would be too. I was thinking my much subtler Project Scorpio box would be my living room X1X, but I put the CP2077 one there instead temporarily because it was easier at the time. I very quickly got to like how it looks in that position, and sounds it too (custom power/eject sound effects, which of course you can turn off if you want). When you just see the front of it it's just weird enough looking that it'll make you look twice, but it doesn't jump out at you quite as much as the top/bottom do (or left/right if it's vertical). Extra LED notwithstanding.

It's a really, really nice looking console.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/13/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-update/

Simply insert your favorite backward compatible Xbox One, Xbox 360 or original Xbox disc into your Xbox Series X, install the game, and you’ll be ready to play. Your digital library will instantly appear and ready for download on the console when you sign in. If you’ve already installed your games to an external drive, you can bring that with you to the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. This all happens with no additional cost to you. And, with cloud saves, you’ll jump right back in where you left off. For those of you still enjoying Xbox 360, cloud saves will soon be free to all Xbox 360 users, making transferring your favorite games to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S even easier.

I'd love a one-button "put all my 360 saves in the cloud" function, rather than having to manually copy/move each one individually. But yeah, that's cool.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I absolutely love Tales of Vesperia. Good to see it on Game Pass.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Yup, I was about to share that Microsoft was making cloud saves available on Xbox 360 to free accounts (they're available to free and premium accounts on Xbox One and have been since launch). Very helpful for anyone who doesn't have Xbox Live Gold but would like to move their Xbox 360 saves.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Is XBL Gold still a thing? Didn't I hear here or somewhere that that is supposed to be going away soon?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Is XBL Gold still a thing? Didn't I hear here or somewhere that that is supposed to be going away soon?

there was some rumours recently, but nothing more than that.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

there was some rumours recently, but nothing more than that.

Okay, thanks.

• Options
    Microsoft got rid of the 12 month sub in some places, leading people to speculate that it was going away in six months or so, so MS didn't want to sell people subs that would wind up being useless.

You can still get 12 month subs in some places IIRC, so yeah it was likely not ever an actual thing.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Microsoft got rid of the 12 month sub in some places, leading people to speculate that it was going away in six months or so, so MS didn't want to sell people subs that would wind up being useless.

You can still get 12 month subs in some places IIRC, so yeah it was likely not ever an actual thing.

They only got rid of the 12-month sub on their storefront.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Digital Foundry looking at external SSDs for backwards compatible titles on Series X/S.

https://youtu.be/7y-Fy1Q2O2k

and a nice little detail that i hadn't noticed before. the Series X actually has more available space on its SSD than the One X has on its HDD. kinda feels like that got lost in all the talk of how much space the system is taking up.

Ever since I watched this, I've been trying to find my White Whale: a USB 3.1 SATA enclosure with powered USB hubs.

I'm not sure such a thing exists (I've seen a couple USB 3.0 laptop hubs that're also Nvme enclosures, but what I have is a SATA SSD from my Xbox One). Hopefully they become a thing after the Xbox Series consoles come out, otherwise I'll just need to pick up a bare bones USB 3.1 to SATA cable.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Can't help but notice how my dashboard keeps getting sneakily updated. Just minor stuff bringing it to where the Series X OS presumably is. It looks pretty smart, though.

• Options
    Can't help but notice how my dashboard keeps getting sneakily updated. Just minor stuff bringing it to where the Series X OS presumably is. It looks pretty smart, though.

It's even sneakier if you're in a high-speed preview circle, because other people don't get the update when you do.

An interesting point on Youtube--if you have a Surface Pro X (their ARM-based model that has a removable solid state storage), the form-factor of the storage on board...looks surprisingly similar to the shielded storage on the Series X (and probably Series S)'s mainboard, suggesting a removable SSD rather than the chips welded onto the PS5's main board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrXYcKP8FM&ab_channel=SpawnWavePlus

Of course, you'd have to disassemble the whole console to get to it (and clone the OS and partitions), which is basically all the steps to replace the drive inside an Xbox One. Interesting though.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

It's even sneakier if you're in a high-speed preview circle, because other people don't get the update when you do.

I'm not in any preview program. I haven't checked to see if it's on my other box too - one got the store update weeks before the other one did!

• Options

Ha I was thinking that this morning when I was playing halo "Wait this shit looks different than like yesterday... MICROSOFT!!!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So this is a hell of a thing

tl;dr or for those who cant read tweets

Gamestop now gets a cut of all digital content bought on Xbox's bought from their stores, therefore incentivizing Gamestop to push the Xbox bran over Playstation

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Microsoft just saved Gamestop. Absolutely crazy.

Also, I read the entity in the top tweet as DOOMCAPITAL, which is a perfect name for a venture capital firm.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293