As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Tried the Vermintide 2. Tutorial was fun. Waited for 10 minutes and didn't get enough players for the first mission.

2/10, not enough players in the early morning.

Can’t you play single player, with AI bots as team mates ?

Yeah. Tutorial was with the bots.

But if I start to play with the bots, none of the progress carry to the online part.

? I used to run missions with bots all the time. At lower difficulties they're better than real people more often than not.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    Tried the Vermintide 2. Tutorial was fun. Waited for 10 minutes and didn't get enough players for the first mission.

But if I start to play with the bots, none of the progress carry to the online part.

? I used to run missions with bots all the time. At lower difficulties they're better than real people more often than not.

Maybe I misunderstood then. There's separate offline and online mode and the game warns me that offline mode doesn't carry over to online progression.

Is there bots on online mode?

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Maybe I misunderstood then. There's separate offline and online mode and the game warns me that offline mode doesn't carry over to online progression.

Is there bots on online mode?

Ya just start a private game or a game without the full group. If I remember right they use the equipment you levels you have for them.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Playing Mafia remake now, I like how it basically goes instantly from mission to mission, there’s no side missions as far as I can tell, and it’s very focussed. It’s a refreshing change from side missions everywhere and makes it feel more driven

Unfortunately the graphics can vary wildly in quality. Sometimes it looks fantastic, other times really rough. And the shooting is horrendous, feels worse than mafia 3

Also what is it with so many games just having the shittest most wet fart nothing explosions. Like basically orange clouds that almost look like sprites. It’s an explosion, put some umph into it! So many games do this. And fire effects that look similarly like a sprite. I get that it’s graphics intensive to do this kind of stuff, but flames and explosions should be centrepieces of a games visuals, but in a lot of games they end up looking like placeholder effects

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Does it still have that awful race track mission? God damn did that one make me rage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    They have it but it’s way easier now. Also hilariously Tommy swears and curses every time the car touches anything, which resulted in me cracking up throughout the entire race

https://gameclips.io/Prohass/7b5bb5c6-7275-4d59-92cc-c6b42638ecb1

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Does it still have that awful race track mission? God damn did that one make me rage.

Oh fuck I'd almost forgotten about that. That mission was absolutely the most frustrated I've ever been with a video game. I loved Mafia, but FUUUCK that mission.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hardware preview videos are up

tldr backwards compatibility games absolutely take advantage of the hardware so dynamic resolutions and unlocked framerates go as high as they can (tops out at 60fps)

Jeff Grubb showed 60fps in GTA4, Sekiro and "light mode" in FF15 (which unlocks framerate) they all locked to 60 pretty much.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    HiDef jiggle!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Oh fuck I'd almost forgotten about that. That mission was absolutely the most frustrated I've ever been with a video game. I loved Mafia, but FUUUCK that mission.

Just did it last night. Way easier now. I had to look up a way to cheese it in the pc version way back when.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Lmao the comments on the digital foundry tweet

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I mean, they're not wrong. I'm having trouble telling the difference between the two, and what differences I can see might be caused by the lighting on her fingers on the second one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Wouldn't you need an 8K screen to even see a proper side-by-side anyway?

This is like when they uploaded that Nvidia Shield 4K upscaling video to Youtube. Except they reserve 4K videos for their Patreon.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I mean, they're not wrong. I'm having trouble telling the difference between the two, and what differences I can see might be caused by the lighting on her fingers on the second one.

The image isn't meant to show off the game itself, but the frame rate chart at the bottom. The image does look more clear but again, it's hard to show frame rate in a still image. It's like someone going "look my car goes fast!" in a picture, and then everyone in the comments going "but it's standing still?"

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The still image straight up says 60fps on Series X, 31fps on One X. Top center.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

It's not an image comparison it's a frame rate comparison. 31 fps on the One X vs 60 fps on the Series X.

As someone said, I'm more interested in open world games, see if we get a similar improvement on, say, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It probably would have helped if the text actually said "hey, it's running at 60fps" instead of making people squint at teeny-tiny numbers that are easy to miss. And implying that the difference is in the actual visuals.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    It probably would have helped if the text actually said "hey, it's running at 60fps" instead of making people squint at teeny-tiny numbers that are easy to miss. And implying that the difference is in the actual visuals.

If you are following digital foundry you should be able to look at that image and tell what they are saying

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

If you are following digital foundry you should be able to look at that image and tell what they are saying
    HiDef jiggle!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The still image straight up says 60fps on Series X, 31fps on One X. Top center.

"Charts? Graphs? What am I, some kind of nerd?"

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Just did it last night. Way easier now. I had to look up a way to cheese it in the pc version way back when.

The difficulty of the race is determined by the difficulty level you're playing on.

If you're playing on Classic (i.e., going for the achievements), it's apparently just as difficulty as it was in the pre-patch original.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

It's also a teaser for a video.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    While you wait on DF's analysis, a less in-depth first look at some One games (and Orta) running on Series X

https://youtu.be/dRrJq-EKK7w

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i'm just reading The Verge's take on the Series X and Tom Warren isn't hold back on his praise.
    I’ve spent the past week with an Xbox Series X in my living room. I’ve played a variety of games on this preview unit, testing load times, performance, and some of the new Series X features. I switched back to an older Xbox One X briefly during testing, and it was like going from cable internet back to the days of a 56k modem. That’s how much the Xbox Series X improves the games you already play every day. Everything just feels better.

and that's just the opening line. i'm not sure there's a better way to describe a monumental shift.

• Options
    While you wait on DF's analysis, a less in-depth first look at some One games (and Orta) running on Series X

https://youtu.be/dRrJq-EKK7w

Final Fantasy XV and Halo 5 on new hardware (especially XV, which laughs at thousand-dollar video cards at any resolution) automatically get an "awesome" from me.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i'm just reading The Verge's take on the Series X and Tom Warren isn't hold back on his praise.
    I’ve spent the past week with an Xbox Series X in my living room. I’ve played a variety of games on this preview unit, testing load times, performance, and some of the new Series X features. I switched back to an older Xbox One X briefly during testing, and it was like going from cable internet back to the days of a 56k modem. That’s how much the Xbox Series X improves the games you already play every day. Everything just feels better.

and that's just the opening line. i'm not sure there's a better way to describe a monumental shift.

His chart of BC load times is impressive

t7ixi32lmgod.png

• Options
    from that same Verge article, i'm not gonna lie this is my main reason for wanting to upgrade to next gen,
    While Bungie has committed to enhancing Destiny 2 for the Xbox Series X and PS5 with 60fps support, it already feels faster without the patch. I would regularly notice frame rate drops in Destiny 2 on the Xbox One X when things got a little hectic on screen during a public event or in a raid with mobs of enemies coming at you. I haven’t seen a single stutter running Destiny 2 on the Xbox Series X.

This console has also improved other parts of Destiny 2 that were slow on the Xbox One. Loading into the character menu sometimes takes a few seconds on the Xbox One X, but on the Series X it feels like I’m playing on my PC as it’s near instant. These are minor improvements, but they’re the small things that add up and make a game more enjoyable to play.

a silky smooth, fast loading Destiny 2? oh yes please! and that's before Bungie optimise it for the new hardware.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Roll on, launchday !

We can download the new version the day before launch, right ?

• Options
    from that same Verge article, i'm not gonna lie this is my main reason for wanting to upgrade to next gen,
    While Bungie has committed to enhancing Destiny 2 for the Xbox Series X and PS5 with 60fps support, it already feels faster without the patch. I would regularly notice frame rate drops in Destiny 2 on the Xbox One X when things got a little hectic on screen during a public event or in a raid with mobs of enemies coming at you. I haven’t seen a single stutter running Destiny 2 on the Xbox Series X.

This console has also improved other parts of Destiny 2 that were slow on the Xbox One. Loading into the character menu sometimes takes a few seconds on the Xbox One X, but on the Series X it feels like I’m playing on my PC as it’s near instant. These are minor improvements, but they’re the small things that add up and make a game more enjoyable to play.

a silky smooth, fast loading Destiny 2? oh yes please! and that's before Bungie optimise it for the new hardware.

yeah I redownloaded destiny 2 specifically to try it on the series X.

I'm glad that the games I'm already playing will play better on the series X while I wait for the next gen games to come out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Outside of games like Pillars 1, I get way more frustrated with menu delays than I do with load times. At least on load screens I can grab my phone or something but I'm in and out of the menus all the damn time.

Carpy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I noticed the performance jump from the Outer Worlds from PS4 to PC too. On PC the area transitions are at most 5 or 6 seconds but I remember them taking FOREVER on the PS4 Pro. So glad to hear they're really good on the XSX!

• Options
    Also glad to hear its quiet, its a small thing, but I hate when my console is loud.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    and here it is, Digital Foundry's assessment of backwards compatibility, loading and quick resume.

https://youtu.be/7oe1LUJyCCs

• Options
    The internal storage of a Series X has 802 GB of usable space, according to Windows Central, after the usable operating system, including apps, and system storage. I think this is also including space earmarked for the multi-game suspended state system. Expansion drives from Seagate have 920 GB of usable space.

It's less than I expected, but really not much less. People are understandably worried what that will mean for space on the Series S, even with presumably reduced installation sizes. I also expect it'll mean the PS5 will have less than 650 GB of usable storage (depending on app support, since the PSN Store has fewer apps available in general).

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Two problems:

First, the Xbox Series X is blocking the TV in that picture.

Second, the angle of that photo is bizarrely low.

For these two reasons I will troll this thread by saying I'm canceling my preorder for the Xbox Series X even though I don't mean it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they don't do an elite bundle that comes with the elite series 2 controller. I really don't get Microsoft's marketing arm. Or legs.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Two problems:

First, the Xbox Series X is blocking the TV in that picture.

Second, the angle of that photo is bizarrely low.

For these two reasons I will troll this thread by saying I'm canceling my preorder for the Xbox Series X even though I don't mean it.

Man a photographer complaining about a clearly staged shot by a non photographer, boy you hate to see it chat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm surprised they don't do an elite bundle that comes with the elite series 2 controller. I really don't get Microsoft's marketing arm. Or legs.

A $700+ SKU?

EDIT: Misunderstood. I read it as 2 elite controllers.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular

I agree. That's why I bought an elite 2 last week when I preordered and its sitting unopened on my couch so I can make my own bundle next month.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822