As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hamil[CHAT]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    DK, I don't suppose you have a simple fix for when a Macbook boots up, shows the Apple logo with a little progress bar, then right before the progress bar finishes, it blows out a puff of air like all the fans got turned to max for half a second, then the screen goes dark for a few seconds before the logo and progress bar appear and the whole thing happens again.

Otherwise I'm going to have to find time during a busy workday tomorrow to call Apple support about my mother's new Macbook that we haven't even actually used yet because we're still trying to migrate everything over from her old Macbook.

Sounds like a typical boot loop. Caused by the system crashing as it tries to boot. I'd turn it off, hold Command-R, and then tap power. You can let go of the keys when it see that it's booting in recovery mode. I'd do a factory reset from here. And if that doesn't work, hold Command-Option-R instead and do an internet recovery. And if that doesn't work, return the system, it's busted. You got a lemon.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I found this earlier today and it has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen: https://earth.nullschool.net/

It starts out as a cool interactive globe with wind, and then you click on "earth" and get a menu of tons of other things and it just gets better and better.

Air currents, water currents, waves, particulates, and even auroras.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The whole point of apple is that you don't have to really deal with any of this though if you don't want. Your mom should be able to make an appointment, go to a store and they'll make it all go away for her, for free, even without you there helping. That's the whole appeal.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    My husband suggested that car charge cables cost so much because they're an obvious point of failure, an obvious firestarter through no particular fault of their own, and most auto makers would very much like to offload that liability on to some third party.

The third parties, being not dumb, charge a lot to protect against this eventuality. Or to gouge what money they can before a lawsuit takes them out.

Or fly by night and sell each batch of $50 charger cables under a new name.

do you mean like, electric car chargers?

they never seemed overpriced to me

certainly not cheap, but kinda have a hard job with no room for fucking up

The level 3 chargers convert AC power to DC and have to carefully control current flow. It's very dicey and they cost $25k and it makes sense. Level 1 and level 2 chargers largely don't do anything. Their entire job is to pass through your house's power and maybe shut it off if the car is naughty. They're two big relays and a multimeter.

We've been perfectly happy just using a 240V outlet and the cable that came with our car. It charges at ~25mi/hr, which is more than enough to fully charge overnight. We've never had a need to charge the whole battery as quickly as possible, so spending extra money for a level 2 charger has always felt pointless.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My husband suggested that car charge cables cost so much because they're an obvious point of failure, an obvious firestarter through no particular fault of their own, and most auto makers would very much like to offload that liability on to some third party.

The third parties, being not dumb, charge a lot to protect against this eventuality. Or to gouge what money they can before a lawsuit takes them out.

The level 3 chargers convert AC power to DC and have to carefully control current flow. It's very dicey and they cost $25k and it makes sense. Level 1 and level 2 chargers largely don't do anything. Their entire job is to pass through your house's power and maybe shut it off if the car is naughty. They're two big relays and a multimeter.

I dunno.

I guess like, the $750 L2 chargers are a bit of a rip-off, but L1s seem to be around $100 which isn't crazy for a bit of electrical kit that needs to be ruggedized for outdoor use and provide power cleanly, plus all the associated connector bits and just enough copper for the cabling
    And L2s that seem reputable drop in the $3-400 range.

I was looking into getting a L2 that'd run off my dryer outlet at my old place and found out that
    1. My old 10-30 hot-hot-neutral plug was absolutely out of spec for car chargers which need a separate ground
    2. I could totally buy one for $250 on Amazon

So to some extent you're probably paying for the engineering and manufacturing to do things properly. Just cause the software's dumb doesn't mean there isn't a cost floor, especially for an item with pretty low demand.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    DK, I don't suppose you have a simple fix for when a Macbook boots up, shows the Apple logo with a little progress bar, then right before the progress bar finishes, it blows out a puff of air like all the fans got turned to max for half a second, then the screen goes dark for a few seconds before the logo and progress bar appear and the whole thing happens again.

Otherwise I'm going to have to find time during a busy workday tomorrow to call Apple support about my mother's new Macbook that we haven't even actually used yet because we're still trying to migrate everything over from her old Macbook.

Sounds like a typical boot loop. Caused by the system crashing as it tries to boot. I'd turn it off, hold Command-R, and then tap power. You can let go of the keys when it see that it's booting in recovery mode. I'd do a factory reset from here. And if that doesn't work, hold Command-Option-R instead and do an internet recovery. And if that doesn't work, return the system, it's busted. You got a lemon.

Alright, Command-R worked, I'm doing a reinstall of Catalina. Thanks for your help!

Trying to move this stuff over has been a nightmare. When I tried doing it using the wifi, it said it would take 36 hours. So we got an ethernet adapter and earlier tonight I connected the two computers using an ethernet cable. This time it didn't even get so far as to tell me how long it would take; it froze at some point during the process of tallying all the files on the old computer.

Maybe the reinstall will help.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The whole point of apple is that you don't have to really deal with any of this though if you don't want. Your mom should be able to make an appointment, go to a store and they'll make it all go away for her, for free, even without you there helping. That's the whole appeal.

Yes, that's what I thought would happen, which is why I had her pick it up at the store instead of getting it delivered. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go with her, so I don't know why it didn't happen, but apparently they handed her the computer and were like "okay thanks bye".

And naturally the Apple store is in a mall, and half the people at the mall aren't wearing masks, so my mother refuses to go back. It's up to me at this point.

Edit: Up to me to make the computer work, to be clear. She's not trying to get me to go to the mall.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've got a really bad ear infection that has been agonisingly painful non-stop since late sunday night

And apparently I'm immune to pain relief, because neither paracetamol, ibuprofin nor codeine do anything to reduce my pain.

Now I'm on very strong antibiotics which makes me constantly feel sick, and my ear still hurts though it's no longer unbearably bad.

woo

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

We've been perfectly happy just using a 240V outlet and the cable that came with our car. It charges at ~25mi/hr, which is more than enough to fully charge overnight. We've never had a need to charge the whole battery as quickly as possible, so spending extra money for a level 2 charger has always felt pointless.

I have forgotten to plug in my car twice to charge overnight in the last two weeks.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

Alright, Command-R worked, I'm doing a reinstall of Catalina. Thanks for your help!

Trying to move this stuff over has been a nightmare. When I tried doing it using the wifi, it said it would take 36 hours. So we got an ethernet adapter and earlier tonight I connected the two computers using an ethernet cable. This time it didn't even get so far as to tell me how long it would take; it froze at some point during the process of tallying all the files on the old computer.

It will probably get the new machine working again but I'd be concerned that the exact same thing might happen in the migration process. I would probably risk the migration assistant one more time and if it failed again, I would, with some annoyance, just boot both machines regularly, connect them with ethernet, turn on file sharing, and copy things over manually. Which sucks but the migration assistant always spooks me because even with apple that shit never works.

Well actually the iOS one kind of does but historically, migration assistant type things have a poor track record.

• Options
    meanwhile we have to charge on a measly 9 amp draw because the idiots who designed this place we're renting decided to put all the kitchen outlets, half the living room outlets, and the outside outlet all on the same circuit

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

I have forgotten to plug in my car twice to charge overnight in the last two weeks.

Over the past few months of quarantine I think my wife has only been plugging it in once or twice each week. Her work commute is short enough that it doesn't need to be charged any more often than that, and we haven't driven far enough to need it fully charged in months.

• Options
    I'm currently doing all the prep work to get a new 240v / 50A circuit installed at my place, a cable run out to my parking spot, and an RV outlet installed. This way I can post up a non-hard-wired outdoor charger with its plug safely tucked into a weatherproof box, and move it if I need to.

I don't even have an EV yet but I'm gonna get the good shit in place.

• Options

It will probably get the new machine working again but I'd be concerned that the exact same thing might happen in the migration process. I would probably risk the migration assistant one more time and if it failed again, I would, with some annoyance, just boot both machines regularly, connect them with ethernet, turn on file sharing, and copy things over manually. Which sucks but the migration assistant always spooks me because even with apple that shit never works.

Well actually the iOS one kind of does but historically, migration assistant type things have a poor track record.

uuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Okay what do I do if the fucking thing gets stuck with "About 2 minutes remaining" on the OS reinstall?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Smash it

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Also, having an "RV" outlet installed is like, the biggest fuckin pro tip life hack warm suggestion that I seriously could not find online. I basically looked at electrical supply stores, what plugs are on EV chargers, what's required by law, and connected the dots myself.

Everyone in the entire EV ecosystem seemingly wants to bleed you dry. You mention to an electrician that you want an EV charger installed and it's like telling a venue that your party is a wedding.

yes hello I am electrician $$$$$ I'll install a hardline juicebox for $4000 $$$$$$$ make me part of your very large car purchase please $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No no no, you will install an RV outlet for me, a guy who is getting an """rv""" and you will charge normal amounts of dollars for it. I can put four screws in the wall and plug in my charger after you leave.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wait about 2 minutes

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    boy this new monster hunter monster fucken sucks

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh, nice, Catalyst has been changing the CAS in Shadowrun, notably they are updating the artwork.

I'll need to see what fiction they changed. The CAS was the "remnants" of the USA, as the midwest/north went with Canada to form the UCAS.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Okay what do I do if the fucking thing gets stuck with "About 2 minutes remaining" on the OS reinstall?

Leave it for up to 3 hours and if it's still stuck my guess is a fucked SSD. Return time.

• Options
    dk what actual plug type are you looking at?

the ones I know that are 'rv' are high amp but only 120

• Options
    okay well, after 10 minutes of that, it restarted on its own

lets see if it's fixed!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Basically this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/203393687

• Options
    I wish more stuff used the twist-lock NEMA plugs

those are fun

• Options

aw yiss 4 lead

most future proof, too

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Surprisingly after googling that image I couldn't find any kind of original image. Seems like Ronan Farrow tweeted it once and that's where it got its life as a meme, but there are a couple of other sites showing the image. Might be real? The book is real at any rate.

There's an ebook scanned copy here: https://lib.ugent.be/en/catalog/rug01:001127531

But it requires some credentials I do not have.

Probably not the same copy if the image is to be believed since that one in the collection of Ghent University and the other is stamped by the british museum (though it could be, books do get around)

https://imagesonline.bl.uk/?service=asset&action=show_zoom_window_popup&language=en&asset=19595&location=grid&asset_list=19595

Awesome

That is fucking wild

Edit: I really want to know their method for aligning the text because it’s still kind of crazy that they did that. Will probably never know

My guess is they cut a recess about the right depth into the woodcut then wedged the type in. You can see it's kinda wonky and misaligned so I could imagine a mess of shims holding it in place.

Ooh I like this hypothesis

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Since we were on the topic of history I started watching this video, was immediately like "Why am I watching this I'm only gonna get angry" and then kept watching it and got angry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zlKYYp7bs

People are always like, "Wow, how did Japan transform from a medieval society ruled by a warrior class, to a modern empire??"

Well because they weren't! Tokugawa Japan was already highly urban (more urban than Europe), with a higher literacy rate than most countries in Europe at the time, the samurai were primarily a bureaucratic class, and the samurai were actually mostly poor - low tax rates meant that farmers and merchants enjoyed an unusually high standard of living - still vulnerable to famines, but it was a complex society. That's the whole reason why the leaders of the revolt to overthrow the class system in Japan was led by... The samurai! Like everything he's saying about the conditions that led to the Meiji Revolution are literally the opposite of what was true.

Also the Opium Wars aren't Britain conquering China, it's opening China to British exports - crucially, to opium. But this was basically the first time the Europeans really had a product that they could trade in Chinese markets, until then it had been all paid for with silver from Europe and the new world. But post-Opium Wars are definitely not colonial wealth extraction the way we'd understand it to apply in places like India or South America. The European powers were still quite convinced that China was the sleeping giant of Asia - you could poke at them to force them into treaties, but you did not piss China off too hard.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

aw yiss 4 lead

most future proof, too

Yeah, and a GFCI breaker right there for safety, a 120V outlet for cleaning your car (or for a level 1 charger if your level 2 breaks or you get a second car or something). It's such a good solution, I am shocked it wasn't like, the first suggestion on a million upvote reddit post returned as the first google result for my question of "how to outdoor charger".

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hello chat I was waiting at the bus stop to come to work when I got a call our laundry room flooded so I had to run back home help clean it up and catch a later bus into work.

So Im kind of exhausted.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I blame The Last Samurai

Edit: this is a contemporary portrait of the man Ken Watanabe’s character is based on

SaigoTakamoriUniform.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit.

Just hearing "It's Quiet Uptown" makes me break down crying. It's been nearly a week, Ath, stop it!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    This box of brownie mix suggests there is 16 servings.

I’m claiming false advertising- I can get 3 maybe 4 servings.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Also, having an "RV" outlet installed is like, the biggest fuckin pro tip life hack warm suggestion that I seriously could not find online. I basically looked at electrical supply stores, what plugs are on EV chargers, what's required by law, and connected the dots myself.

Everyone in the entire EV ecosystem seemingly wants to bleed you dry. You mention to an electrician that you want an EV charger installed and it's like telling a venue that your party is a wedding.

yes hello I am electrician $$$$$ I'll install a hardline juicebox for $4000 $$$$$$$ make me part of your very large car purchase please $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No no no, you will install an RV outlet for me, a guy who is getting an """rv""" and you will charge normal amounts of dollars for it. I can put four screws in the wall and plug in my charger after you leave.
    Dang when I was browsing level 2s about six months ago they were around $400 and I was getting estimates of about $400 from electricians for adding another circuit and installing the thing.

Why are things getting more expensive as I'm getting poorer.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    japanese beagle!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I have to say I'm pretty bummed that the charger for the new Macbook not only isn't magnetic (that was such a fantastic idea), it doesn't have the little indicator light on it that shows 1) that it's plugged in properly, and 2) whether it's fully charged (green) or still charging (orange).

I get they want to standardize everything to Thunderbolt 3 or whatever, but that was such a nice bit of design I'm really sad to see go.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I made a thing:

4mj3ofpd5hky.png

• Options
    Holy shit this might actually be working.

This time I unchecked about 100GB worth of folders to transfer, about half the storage on the old computer.

So now instead of 36 hours over Wifi, it's 3 hours over ethernet.

Now to just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't fuck up over the next 3 hours...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I made a thing:

4mj3ofpd5hky.png

This is a super neat idea for a cross-stitch project (or whatever that is, not sure it's technically cross-stitch?) and I love the execution too!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    okay now it says 13 minutes remaining

don't be stupid, Macbook, that's impossible

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.