As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's true of most other age ranges too

Among women, the Liberals (42%) have a double-digit lead over the Conservatives (28%), NDP (16%), Bloc (8%), Greens (4%) and others (3%).
    Among men, the Liberals (39%) also lead the Conservatives (32%), NDP (11%), Bloc (10%), Greens (5%) and others (3%). This is a segment that the Conservatives traditionally have need to own in order to be competitive.
    Among those aged 18-34, the Liberal (40%) lead over the Tories (27%) is strong. The NDP (18%) has its strongest performance among this segment, as does the Green Party (10%), while other parties trail (3%). By contrast, the Bloc does not do as well (2%).
    Among those aged 35-54, the Liberals (36%) are statistically tied with the Tories (34%), with the NDP (13%), Bloc (13%), Greens (2%) and others (2%) well behind.
    Among those aged 55+ -- the segment typically most likely to show up at the ballot box – the Liberals have a 15-point lead over the Tories (29%), with the NDP (10%), Bloc (10%), Greens (3%) and others (4%) well behind. With vaccinations well underway for most of his age group, they now appear to be rewarding the Prime Minister with their vote intentions.

Bolded the part that Hardtarget was referencing :)

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I know 4 x people that got the shot this weekend..... Starting to feel real!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Alright BC, things are looking a bit less shitty vaccine schedule time, at least if you're Gen-X or older:

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    If you folks knew what was good for you, you’d get renal failure and a kidney transplant so you could have got your vaccine last weekend, like I did.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you folks knew what was good for you, you’d get renal failure and a kidney transplant so you could have got your vaccine last weekend, like I did.

There was that story about the guy in Britain whose BMI was 50,000 because of some error where he was like 5cm tall.

My wife's driver's license gives her a BMI of like 50 because they just copied the numbers off of her American license, which was in pounds, so really, she should be eligible too :P

(She did get her first dose because we thought she was eligible as a frontline worker, which we later learned was maybe not true??? No one has any firm definitions for anything and it's very frustrating.)

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Alright BC, things are looking a bit less shitty vaccine schedule time, at least if you're Gen-X or older:

So this is to register to be able to book at a later date.....

a slight bit misleading there, Dix.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So over on the PA Isolation Squad Canada discord server, we've been discussing an article entitled "Are we actually a country?" that I figured I'd share here, as I think it's interesting.
    https://theline.substack.com/p/lauren-dobson-hughes-are-we-actually

Also interesting, this led to a discussion about how seemingly *static* Canada has been as a nation recently. A lot of the things that we like to tout, they're things that were thrown together many decades ago, and have taken on a sort of rigidity, like they'll never need to be updated again. Then we tried to pick out the last major, Federal political act of significance within our lifetimes, and settled on Meech Lake/Charlottetown Accords. Which was 80s/90s. (We have since discussed whether Truth and Reconcillation and/or Recreational Marijuana qualify).

Not sure I have a main thrust here, but it was nice discussing something besides Covid and the vaccine rollout. Figured it might spark some interesting takes here.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I am not sure you can say our country has completely failed because of a lack of infrastructure to deal with a once in a century pandemic. Is it embarrassing and has it identified issues that need to be fixed quickly? Definitely. However the author's analogy is a little dramatic.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    If you considered recreational marijuana as a major act of significance, you would have to also include legalization of gay marriage.

Also, Canada punching above it's weight internationally isn't a bad thing?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The headline seems intentionally hyperbolic and inflammatory, but that's par for the course I guess. "Are we actually a country?" is kind of a ridiculous question, both politically and culturally.

If what they actually wanted to ask is "Does Canada have any grand plans for the future? Has it done any huge dramatic additions to it's political/economic/governmental structure in the past few decades?" then I would say no and basically for the same reason we've seen the same kind of paralysis all across the western world. We've lived through an entire generation of politics that was, on the whole, antagonistic to such things. It's only goal being to plan less and scale back government control.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I think the article points out some correct problems in Canada, but also overblows them, and downplays important positives we have.

Yes, the Canadian Federal bureaucracy is a slow uncoordinated mess crippled by red tape, heavy procedures, and legacy computer infrastructure. But that's unavoidable - The Canadian government is not planned, it has grown organically over 150 years to try to provide a myriad of different services uniformly through a very large and diverse country. There is no way an organization like that would not be a massive slumping beast. And a lot of those negatives are someone else's positives. The red tape is someone else's protection. The heavy procedures are someone else's due process. The legacy software is someone else's file not getting lost. The large bureaucracy is someone's special-needs services and someone else's career.

Covid, the damning case used (unfairly, IMO) to showcase the weaknesses of the Canadian system, is a good example of this. The biggest issue with our covid response stems from the fact it was a national (and international) healthcare crisis, but healthcare is constitutionally a provincial matter (a fact the article ignores in order to blame the Federal government BTW), so there could not be a national plan or coordinated national response to it. Solving this issue would mean scrapping the constitution to move healthcare powers to the Federal level. Putting aside the fact no province will ever agree to this, actually implementing it would mean cutting thousands of jobs across every province, and putting healthcare decisions (both medical ones and non-medical ones like EHR sharing policy) several levels away from the people affected by them. This would not give a good healthcare system for the average person on a day-to-day basis.

I also disagree with your take that a lack of major Federal acts is a sign of a static country. Small incremental improvements do happen, and I'd argue they are preferred by most people. Thinking back to the 80s/90s, our country has changed a lot. New international trade deals grew our economy, the soft power of the Chrétien era gave us international recognition and good will (which Harper then utterly destroyed), environmental laws cleaned up our land, the Canadian military had several successful military engagements, peacekeeping missions, and domestic emergency deployments, Canadian innovations spurred by government research funding changed most aspects of our daily lives, Canadian media funded by government arts programs entertained us, etc. etc.

But if major actions are what you want, we partitioned Nunavut in 1993, had the second Québec referendum in 1995, stayed out of the Iraq war in 2003, eliminated the penny in 2012, legalized weed and placed a price on carbon in 2018.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and gay marriage in 2005.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    On the Canadian Military front, they continue to engage in multiple international security operations that benefit our country and our allies. Culturally the CAF is undergoing a massive shift starting with Operation Honour and whatever that is gradually becoming. As embarrassing as current events are for the military, they do point out the shift is actually happening.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So it's mid-April, the snow's all gone, what's gonna happen in southern Manitoba?

More snow, dummy. This isn't even weird; last year the most snow we got was in April.

Unrelated (,,,I think), the age for eligibility for vaccines is finally dropping again. They started with a pretty high minimum age for you to get one without some sort of extenuating circumstance (i.e. major chronic condition), and then slowly lowered it for like the first half of March, and then for the past two weeks it was stuck. But it's been lowering the past couple of days. At this rate I should be eligible in another week, which would be nice.

• Options
    I moved to alberta ( many years ago) on June 10th ....... It snowed a good 5cm on June 12th. It nearly made me pack up and head back east.

I have seen snow every month but July.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

That's only big brain, you need my galaxy brain where I took a job for a mental healthcare provider 10 years ago - we got done as a whole org rather than just a few staff here and there. It was my 10 year plan, honest.

Oh, the NDP are now polling for a majority in AB. Ha, too late fuckers, you made your choice and you picked garbage. Source? Guy who lives in Ontario where people made the same fucking dumb decision.

Nosf on
  • Options
    The NDP won here last time because of the Wildrose/PC vote split.

If Kenney manages to lose to them in a pure 1 vs 1....... Slow clap.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Press Progress is my journalism charity recipient.
    Disco11 wrote: »

Honestly, if this pandemic were shifted by a year and a half... I have a feeling that my low-info voter neighbors will have forgotten just how fucking bad this has been by 2023 and still vote "fiscally conservative". Hopefully not though, I'd love a return to NDP majority.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Unite the Right! (into a flaming dumpster)

• Options
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So here in NB Higgs ran a spur of the moment presser yesterday to cancel all the First Nations tax agreements. He gave zero warning to any of the chiefs and said some of the stupidest things I've ever hear a politician in NB say.

Meanwhile, the Irvings live here, are multi billionaires, pay almost no taxes, and spend little of that money here. Oh yeah, and Higgs used to work with them.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So it's mid-April, the snow's all gone, what's gonna happen in southern Manitoba?

More snow, dummy. This isn't even weird; last year the most snow we got was in April.

Unrelated (,,,I think), the age for eligibility for vaccines is finally dropping again. They started with a pretty high minimum age for you to get one without some sort of extenuating circumstance (i.e. major chronic condition), and then slowly lowered it for like the first half of March, and then for the past two weeks it was stuck. But it's been lowering the past couple of days. At this rate I should be eligible in another week, which would be nice.

I just moved into a new condo with my girlfriend last week.

Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire to get a shovel for all the snow building up on our porch and patio, and the employee told me they didn’t have any because those were seasonal and they now had their spring stuff out.

Thankfully I’m stubborn and found a good shovel in the gardening section 😝

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My work tried to leak it as well, and story was up for almost 2 hours before it vanished. But BC current lockdown getting extended basically, sounds like til May long currently

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

I just moved into a new condo with my girlfriend last week.

Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire to get a shovel for all the snow building up on our porch and patio, and the employee told me they didn’t have any because those were seasonal and they now had their spring stuff out.

Thankfully I’m stubborn and found a good shovel in the gardening section 😝

Today is only the second day of above zero temperatures here. The spring thaw is finally beginning, but we still go below zero at night, so, it'll be slippery af for a while.

Had a couple huge dumps of snow last week, so it's going to be an especially wet thaw, I think.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Health Canada has decided that the AZ vaccine's risk of blood clots is low enough that they've recommended its use shouldn't be restricted.
    CTV News wrote:
    OTTAWA -- There is enough evidence to say the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine may cause very rare blood clots but the shot is still extremely safe, very effective and will remain on the Canadian market, Health Canada said Wednesday.

The department's regulatory team is updating the vaccine's label with information about the possibility of clots but only a patient who developed the new vaccine-induced blood clotting syndrome is advised not to get another dose of it.

"Health Canada still considers the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine to outweigh the risks of getting COVID-19," said Dr. Supriya Sharma, the chief medical adviser at Health Canada who manages the regulation of the COVID-19 vaccines.

"We are not limiting the use of the vaccine to any specific age group or sex."

• Options
    My work tried to leak it as well, and story was up for almost 2 hours before it vanished. But BC current lockdown getting extended basically, sounds like til May long currently

That's good, it should be extended until June, frankly. We need to get this thing under control.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

That's good, it should be extended until June, frankly. We need to get this thing under control.

Ya I definitely agree with the extension, waiting to properly announce it until there is a single days notice is what's been really hard on businesses and employees.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    My new favourite quote from the House of Commons transcripts:
    Perhaps we should remind MPs, especially male ones, that vest and tie are required, but so are shirt, underwear and pants.

Context. Don't worry if you can't read French, the picture is bilingual.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Working from home reveals MPs are still human, thank goodness.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-caught-stark-naked-during-house-of-commons-video-conference-1.5387804

Kinda ok with a bit of nudity from MPs but maybe next time don't change in front of camera, maybe clothing change walkin closet allowances for MPs :P

Could have been a lot worse, could have been a CPC MP, you know how many of them think looking after their physical regimen is important to being an MP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Perhaps we should remind MPs, especially male ones, that vest and tie are required, but so are shirt, underwear and pants.

I hate how fucking petty our politicians are... I'm sure it was funny at the time, but publicly shaming someone who made an honest mistake just seems grossly unprofessional and a waste of time. Hearing that shit like this is consuming even a small amount of our government's time is dissapointing in my opinion.

• Options
    Comahawk wrote: »

I hate how fucking petty our politicians are... I'm sure it was funny at the time, but publicly shaming someone who made an honest mistake just seems grossly unprofessional and a waste of time. Hearing that shit like this is consuming even a small amount of our government's time is dissapointing in my opinion.

Overreacting much? Humourously calling out someone who appeared naked on cam is not "public shaming".

Decorum in the HoC is a real and professional consideration and one our politicians spend a non-zero amount of time discussing, whether you consider it a waste of time or not. This is not the first time it's been brought up, nor will it be the last. And appearing naked in the HoC, even accidentally, is a legitimate breach of decorum.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

To be fair, the dude appeared stark naked on the official HoC virtual floor. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of manufactured outrage -- this could have easily been a career ending fuckup, but instead he is getting a bunch of deserved ribbing from his colleagues. That seems pretty fair, in my opinion.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

That's not petty, that's just a humorous way of pointing out to your colleagues something that could be really, really embarrassing.

• Options

Overreacting much? Humourously calling out someone who appeared naked on cam is not "public shaming".

Decorum in the HoC is a real and professional consideration and one our politicians spend a non-zero amount of time discussing, whether you consider it a waste of time or not. This is not the first time it's been brought up, nor will it be the last. And appearing naked in the HoC, even accidentally, is a legitimate breach of decorum.

Doing something that resulted in multiple news articles isn't public shaming? What was this comment meant to do besides embarrass the subject of it?

I also love this quote from the CBC article: "We have seen that the member was in very good shape, but I think this member should be reminded of what is appropriate and to control his camera." If I said something like this at work over a similar incident, it would be borderline sexual harassment.

I never was arguing about the second point you made, not sure why you're bringing that up to be honest. This wasn't a discussion of decorum, it was an MP using time to embarrass another MP. Do you honestly believe that Amos was confused about the policy of nudity in the HoC?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

That's not petty, that's just a humorous way of pointing out to your colleagues something that could be really, really embarrassing.

It's bringing additional attention to a situation that the guy was already plenty embarrassed about. And whatever humor there is about this is entirely one sided.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Are some people assuming that an MP appearing naked in the HoC would not be getting national attention if another MP had not made a joke about it? Because I promise you, it would be getting the same amount of attention. And probably much less flattering and light-hearted attention.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Are some people assuming that an MP appearing naked in the HoC would not be getting national attention if another MP had not made a joke about it? Because I promise you, it would be getting the same amount of attention. And probably much less flattering and light-hearted attention.

And, frankly, a joke is the best, because they would have been justified to actually bring a formal complaint for sexual harrassment.

• Options

And, frankly, a joke is the best, because they would have been justified to actually bring a formal complaint for sexual harrassment.

I am assuming you mean against the MP who was naked? If so, how do you figure his actions meet the definition of sexual harassment?

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

I am assuming you mean against the MP who was naked? If so, how do you figure his actions meet the definition of sexual harassment?

How do we know it was just an accident and not some attempt at exposing himself to someone he knew would be watching the cameras? According to his word, it was an accident, but you can't rule out that it was a willful attempt either. Should further incidents occur, his word would be less credible, but if this was accidental then it should be a one off.

• Options

Yes, obviously. Exposing yourself at work is sexual harrassment.

• Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    The key would be deliberate, and a very different situation between at home versus in person. Naked in your actual office is hard to sell as anything but deliberate, naked in your own home forgetting the laptop camera is on could be an honest mistake.

This discussion has been closed.