As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Canada is pretty bad as well. I was paying 70$ for 6gb and phone line.

I just recently moved to $50 with 20gb of high speed then unlimited of slow speed and a phone line.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    tynic wrote: »
    The thought "Do I have an angle grinder?" should never pop into your head while dealing with computer cabling issues, for the record.

You can't unscrew the standoffs from the computer?

But isn't the bigger problem that the port on the computer is RS-232 serial and not vga?

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    expendable wrote: »
    The thought "Do I have an angle grinder?" should never pop into your head while dealing with computer cabling issues, for the record.

But isn't the bigger problem that the port on the computer is serial and not vga?

yes that is the main problem (when ordering a cable, I took a quick cursory glance at the back of the machine, thought I saw a VGA output and went 'oh, cool, done.')

(but also no the standoffs are fixed, not screwed on)

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    wait so does it just...not have a display output?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

But isn't the bigger problem that the port on the computer is serial and not vga?

yes that is the main problem (when ordering a cable, I took a quick cursory glance at the back of the machine, thought I saw a VGA output and went 'oh, cool, done.')

(but also no the standoffs are fixed, not screwed on)

1) Holy shit, fixed standoffs? Standoffs are always missing when I wish they were fixed and fixed when I need to remove them. Figures.

2) If I had a dollar for every time I quickly looked and saw a 9-pin serial and moved forward thinking it was vga...I wouldn't be wealthy but I'd be able to have an extremely nice multi-course dinner for 2 at a place with a dress code.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    wait so does it just...not have a display output?

Looks like it has a standalone graphics card with a Displayport output, which I did kinda notice at one point, but was apparently ignoring because that seemed stupid when there was a VGA output sitting right there.
    ... I'm gonna blame quarantine brain. Anyway now I have to order another cable.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I've also made that mistake the other way. My lab partners were very impressed that my laptop had a serial port up until I tried plugging it in.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    On phones yeah a quick look said that indeed, it would be VERY hard to get Rhesus's deal in the states, though I did basically stop after seeing how much higher T mobil and verizion were, figured that was likely representative.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm with Cricket. Paid $35 a month (on autopay) for several GB of data until I went to fully unlimited and it uses AT&T network. It's pretty great.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m basically stuck with AT&T due to the family use. I just looked at our old plan and changed it to the current one. It only saves me $8 a month, but has a higher data cap and also comes with HBO Max so it saves me that subscription fee.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

OH ok now I see the problem HAHAHA WOW

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So let's talk about how Windows 10 resizes browser windows when you accidentally click the maximize button and go back. How come it never remembers the thousand times you carefully curate the same roughly half screen you want it to take up, but the one time you squish it down into a weird aspect ratio to clip a high-res picture it writes those dimensions down in the fucking Book Of Grudges?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I use windows key + left/right/up/down to do my half-screen/full-screen sizing

maximize button very rarely gets uses at all

• Options
    I mostly do that at work, but windows+left is about 10% smaller than I prefer.

It's me. I'm the true oppressed hero here in 2021.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I think it only remembers manual sizing, not the automatic, so if you halfscreen it and drag one side a bit over the middle of the screen it still doesn't count as manual, gotta detach it first.

honovere on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i am currently stuck with AT&T mostly due to laziness as I would have to coordinate multiple people all switching their plans at the same time

at&t has terrible coverage in my neighborhood and i have to stand in certain parts of my house to have calls

i run a fleet of cellular enabled apple devices for my company numbering near a thousand dispersed in pretty much every state, and AT&T is consistently complained about in anything but dense urban settings

Jasconius on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    My phone is one of the few things I'm willing to spend money on (along with my computer and guitars) because I use that shit every minute of every day.

"Spend money where you spend your time" is a good adage. I just did a computer upgrade, and while it was more expensive than what I felt comfortable with right now, I could certainly afford it, and I also spend way too manu hours in front of it each day, and I reckon I'll get five years out of this upgrade.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The only counter argument is that in the last few years the lower end phones have improved drastically, the mid range has improved somewhat, and the top end is really only improving on screen quality and camera quality.
    Compared to 5 years ago phones have a lot of "use case" questions now. Personally my phone has been degraded to late night browsing, podcast playing, sending messages and then calling/receiving calls, and with that use case my next phone might be the first time I go midtier instead of high tier.

If you watch a ton of video or take a lot of pictures, then maybe the story is different. But $1000 every 2-3y is a lot.......

Samsung is splitting their SKUs more or less for this reason, creating a larger split between their "top end" and "ultimate" S21 phone.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The only counter argument is that in the last few years the lower end phones have improved drastically, the mid range has improved somewhat, and the top end is really only improving on screen quality and camera quality.
    Compared to 5 years ago phones have a lot of "use case" questions now. Personally my phone has been degraded to late night browsing, podcast playing, sending messages and then calling/receiving calls, and with that use case my next phone might be the first time I go midtier instead of high tier.

If you watch a ton of video or take a lot of pictures, then maybe the story is different. But $1000 every 2-3y is a lot.......

Samsung is splitting their SKUs more or less for this reason, creating a larger split between their "top end" and "ultimate" S21 phone.

I have a pretty good upgrade cycle. Every 3 years a new phone, and then my wife gets my old one. The phones seem to last long enough for both our use cases this works pretty well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    webguy20 wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

I have a pretty good upgrade cycle. Every 3 years a new phone, and then my wife gets my old one. The phones seem to last long enough for both our use cases this works pretty well.

I went from an iPhone SE (the first one) to an EchoCorp-provided iPhone 8. It developed battery issues, so I got switched to an iPhone XR.

The downside (minor as it is) is that it's the job phone. The upside is that I don't pay anything at all for the phone or 30 gigs of monthly data.

...and I mostly use it for scrolling through twitter while taking a dump.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I don't need most of the features my phone provides, since I spend most of my waking life within touching distance of one full-sized PC or another.

But on those rare occasions when I do need a spirit level or a compass or a flash light, it definitely makes me feel like a Starfleet science officer to whip out a pocket supercomputer that just does the thing.

Also, I would still pay an embarrassing amount for my smart watch if the only things it did was tell time, set timers, and display a grocery list on my wrist that let me check off items by tapping them.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Motorola came out with a new smartwatch and I was really wishing I had a reason to get a smartwatch but especially right now I just have zero use case. And even when I wasn't wfh I didn't really need one since I work overnights at a desk where I can just have my phone out next to me nbd.

But the second I have a legitimate use case I'm probably gonna drop the cash on it.

Also yeah mid-tier phones are all I've ever really used because the top tier ones just have too many features I wouldn't use

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I think it only remembers manual sizing, not the automatic, so if you halfscreen it and drag one side a bit over the middle of the screen it still doesn't count as manual, gotta detach it first.

I initially misread what you were saying. I thought you were just saying that it wasn't counting the ctrl-<- business that I use to snap to half screen. But just now I was resizing the window and seeing the whole snap-to-top thing that it does, and I heard your post in my mind like Obi Wan talking to Luke in the trench run.

So thanks! I think I've got the hang of what it's doing now, and I ought to have thanked you earlier.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I buy a new phone only when I damage my current one beyond the point it's worth the money to repair it

... turns out, this is embarrassingly often. But that's also why I buy very cheap phones.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hmmmm I was just emailed that I now qualify for the StarLink Beta program.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    my galaxy s9 is all jacked up for some reason

what is the best equivalent power level phone I can get though tmo's payment plan thing that has good battery life, a fingerprint thingy, no gimmick like a second screen or dumb curve, and a preferably a cowardly freaking 3.5mm jack?

I wish I knew they world work with my galaxy watch that I just paid off too...

should I get a pixel 4a 5g?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

what is the best equivalent power level phone I can get though tmo's payment plan thing that has good battery life, a fingerprint thingy, no gimmick like a second screen or dumb curve, and a preferably a cowardly freaking 3.5mm jack?

Your Galaxy watch will work fine with any non-Samsung watch. You'll just need to install a few apps. The nice thing about Samsung's watches is they aren't locked to one platform/OS.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Until I read your last line I was about to suggest the vanilla Pixel 4a. I've had one since the Black Friday sales last year and it's a lovely little phone.

Battery life will be better than on the 5G I think because of the situation with the 5G radio being on a separate chip and so consuming more power

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also my phone randomly installed a whole bunch of new apps at some point yesterday. It was really weird. Apparently it's a Verizon bloatware thing, but I'm suspicious and keeping an eye on it just in case.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I'll second the Pixel 4a, it's a great zero bullshit phone at that price.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    I don't think they offer the non5g version at the moment which stinks. I think I might future proof a bit and just get the 5g one though. I don't even know if we have 5g towers where I live yet though.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't think they offer the non5g version at the moment which stinks. I think I might future proof a bit and just get the 5g one though. I don't even know if we have 5g towers where I live yet though.

if you're on TMO, you could buy the phone out of pocket (or buy it from google direct and finance through them) and just use it on their service. still cheaper than the 5g version.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Naphtali wrote: »

if you're on TMO, you could buy the phone out of pocket (or buy it from google direct and finance through them) and just use it on their service. still cheaper than the 5g version.

I can't afford the upfront cost and probably don't qualify for Google financing because the only reason tmo finances me is I'm on a contract anyway.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really like my pixel 3a

• Options
    I ended up going with the 4a 5g. it's not that much more with the payment plan to be honest, at least there is no interest. and the battery life can't be worse than my half busted s9

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My Pixel 3 has convinced me to never buy a flagship phone again. Other than fingerprint ID I can't think of anything noteworthy I do differently with this phone than I did with any phone I had in the previous 7 years. It's a mobile browsing, texting, messaging, podcast and Spotify listening device that I occasionally make phone calls with.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Give me a phone that doesn't have that useless phone app installed. I never use that bloatware shit and some rando from my area code tries calling half a dozen times a day.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Tech thread, I need some help. A friend of mine asked me to look into what were good hard wallets, since I was the most tech savy person he knew, even though I told him I knew diddly squat about anything crypto he still asked me to look for a "good" one. My normal go to place for something like that is Ars Technica, but no joy there. Is there any other reputable site that gives reviews on those things?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    BACK IN THE DAY, if you made a New Folder on a Korean computer, the folder was automatically named after a bird ("new" in Korean is homonymous w/ "bird"). If you made hundreds, the folders would start "begging" through their names, like "I've run out of bird names," "Please stop"Then it would just start naming folders with words that just contain "sae" (the homonym for "bird" and "new") but aren't related to birds. Finally the folders would just be named "Stop it," Stop it*30," "Stop it*40," & so on
    https://t.co/qZk0YSg7we

This blogger made 1,282 folders to see what they would all say. The names include "Come on now, the experiment stops here," "You're still making [folders]?" "Hmph, you'll regret it if you keep making." The "Stop it" series goes up to 1000 https://t.co/WRqPUHv8cc

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    When I die, delete the folder labeled "Great Tit" without looking at anything in it.

This discussion has been closed.