Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 LEs through Drop for roughly $170 and I’d recommend them in a heartbeat. I think the LEs were only available through Drop, but the regular 880s look like they go for ~$180 and the DT 880 Pros go for ~$250. Solid build quality, open back, not the lightest but also not particularly heavy and with comfortable ear cups, they really shine in the high and mid-range and handle sibilant sound well, good soundstage and instrument separation, but the bass is really neutral. If you like boosted bass the DT880s are not for you.

I have the 250ohm version and they really require an amp to get the full experience, but my iPhone can drive them through the lightning to 3.5mm adapter and they sound just fine.

Edit: I actually paid around $170 for the DT 880s, and it looks like Drop has DT880 Pros for $190 now.

I just picked up the Phillips Fidelio X2's and they're great - also MUCH more comfortable than Grados. All of the other recommendations are good as well (have some closed back Senns I love, and heard good things about beyers). There's also the planar magnetic ones to consider. I would look at the descriptions of the sound each offers, as typically each has their own "personality", then pick which one fits best with the music and tones you enjoy. Headphones that are amazing for orchestral performances often aren't good for things like hard EDM.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I'm still using my Senn HD555 at home and my Grado SR80 at work. Got a pair of Audio-Technica M50x that work great for air travel, but those haven't seen any use in quite some time.

I recently refurbished the HD555 with all new padding and it's like they're brand new again!

I've never really felt the need for an amp, but these are all low impedance cans so it's probably not necessary.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shittt

Maybe Intel is in a worse state then expected?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bnnbloomberg.ca/intel-talks-with-tsmc-samsung-to-outsource-some-chip-production-1.1545867.amp.html

I saw a tweet on my news app but can’t see it now.

Apparently the new CEO will help make the decision. Must be really hectic over there.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah, looking forward to being to able to get a new GPU sometime in 2025.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Welp got a new tube for my amp to see if it sounded different, and I can't tell a difference. Maybe if I had a better ear, the change is supposedly less pronounced on a hybrid amp like the Vali 2, instead of a full tube amp.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just got an 80 decibel warning from my Apple watch alone in my office. Either this is a glitch, or some Apple programmers have real strong and sarcastic opinions about mechanical keyboards.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean, it might be 80 decibels at that distance from your wrist. Intensity of sound follows the r^3 rule.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Even so, you should look at putting a muffler on those key mechanisms.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh god dammit

I put together this little external "on" button for the PC, but I accidentally bought a switch that's sustained on, momentary off. Who would want momentary off?!

This is what I get for not reading the box carefully

uwnbwjbq6ll2.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    spono wrote: »
    Oh god dammit

I put together this little external "on" button for the PC, but I accidentally bought a switch that's sustained on, momentary off. Who would want momentary off?!

uwnbwjbq6ll2.jpg

That’s the Trump Diet Coke summoning button

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    sustained supply of diet coke pouring into your computer chassis, but you can momentarily turn it off if you press the button

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh hey, a fellow box-building buddy.

I had a random brainfart once and slapped some buttons and switches on this box. The thing behind it is a zero-delay USB encoder, typically used for building arcade control stuff - it shows up as a plain ordinary gamepad in the OS, so I can map buttons to whatever I can map gamepads to.

pyk5aycjftia.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I get that I'm probably the only one that actually liked Vista, but ya'll can't tell me this doesn't look sweet.

https://youtu.be/7tL7Ph0_eNI

sig.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh god dammit

uwnbwjbq6ll2.jpg

It's sustained-on though. So that means an endless stream of butlers with silver platters, as far as the eye can see.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yep that’s correct

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh god dammit

uwnbwjbq6ll2.jpg

It's sustained-on though. So that means an endless stream of butlers with silver platters, as far as the eye can see.

"Welcome back to Let's Game It Out"

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Thinking about redstone minecraft circuits now. Can you invert the signal....

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

Text:
    Chris Applegate
    @chrisapplegate
    *repeated screaming*

*scrolls down to read rest of article*

*even more repeated screaming*

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210117/FLXATT4LKVBGVEBRLAECJPTCHM/
    5:58 AM · Jan 25, 2021·TweetDeck
    Retweets

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210117/FLXATT4LKVBGVEBRLAECJPTCHM/

building your transit system control in adobe flash seems like a bad idea

Brolo on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Marques takes a look at the next smartphone innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtbeSbf_xM

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That seems like it has more application to covert surveillance than granting a few square mm more of screen real estate

Although for all I know it's been in place for years

*starts eyeing every screen with suspicion*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Lord I hate the idea of new phones every year. I know it's not the economic model but just....go away for a while. Keep making the already fine phone and come back when you actually have something. This is imagining a world where apple isn't fighting tooth and nail vs right to repair anyway.

• Options
    I like it because I'm several phones back tech-wise but get a new phone with my contract every two years, so I get to try out "new" tech every 24 months

It's like when I got a new car that had Bluetooth - it had been around for years, but the previous car only had a CD player, so to me it was like driving around in KITT

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Who do you have that's still doing the free new phone every two years?

• Options
    I just...don't understand most phone plans. Since the move to smartphones (late, like, 2013-2014) I've stayed on republic wireless. It's like 20/mo for a gig of data. If I'm traveling each extra gig is 5 bucks. They even used to pay you back/prorate for unused data but I don't think they do anymore. They just sent around a deal where you get 2 free months if you just pay for the whole year. So, done. Other people tell me about their phone bills and I just don't get it. Obviously not great for international travel, but if that's your use case you probably have some money to burn anyway.

But then I'm assuming a lot. Mind sharing what that monthly bill is Rhesus?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

3 Mobile in the UK

It's never a top of the line phone - my current phone, which I got in 2019, is a Huawei p30 Lite. I pay £21.56 a month for unlimited calls and texts, and 4GB of data

An equivalent sim only plan on 3 is £10 a month, so I'm basically paying £277.44 for a phone over 24 months. Checking the cost of the handset, it's £180 for a new one now, but it launched at around £300, so in this case it was a pretty good offer

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    In the Netherlands it was ruled that 'free phones' are actually loans, because the contract is more expensive with phones tham without.
    It also means that for flagship phones the loan is large enough to be registered and credit checked.

It is still occasionally possible to get large discounts though. I currently have an S9+ , which I got right as the S10 released. I got a €100 cashback by Samsung, a €100 store discount from Tmobile, which totaled for about €400 for a phone that was €650 retail.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

3 Mobile in the UK

It's never a top of the line phone - my current phone, which I got in 2019, is a Huawei p30 Lite. I pay £21.56 a month for unlimited calls and texts, and 4GB of data

An equivalent sim only plan on 3 is £10 a month, so I'm basically paying £277.44 for a phone over 24 months. Checking the cost of the handset, it's £180 for a new one now, but it launched at around £300, so in this case it was a pretty good offer

Maybe it is time to re evaluate, I kept seeing way worse numbers in the states.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My phone is one of the few things I'm willing to spend money on (along with my computer and guitars) because I use that shit every minute of every day.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

3 Mobile in the UK

Maybe it is time to re evaluate, I kept seeing way worse numbers in the states.

I pay $86.04 for an unlimited data plan with AT&T. No free phones involved.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I pay £25 quid a month for a Samsung A51 and a Samsung Tablet that is... I can't recall the model

Anyway after two years I get to keep both, and I can upgrade to a new deal. Unlimited data on the phone! Just 2GBs on the tablet but I mean eh I just use it at home anyway

• Options
    edited January 2021
    US mobile contract pricing is bananas expensive compared to the rest of the world. When I moved here I was doing month to month prepaid on t-mobile with my own older phone and a really shit data cap and it still cost me $30-40 a month. (Back home I could get more data on a $10 per month sim, for comparison)

I switched over to Google fi the minute that became available, and that at least approaches the price I would be paying in aus/uk/eu, with the added benefit of not having to switch sims when I travel. But whenever people here talk about they're monthly phone bills, woof.

tynic on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Anything telecom related is dumbass expensive for what you get in the US compared to other countries. Phones, internet, etc.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    The US pays more for inferior service when compared other countries?

Allow me to fetch my fainting couch and clutching pearls to deal with this shock.

Maybe we should replace E Plurbis Unum with "Pay more for less" on our money.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Currently 3 gigs for 8€, no contract.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I pay $35/month for 10gb of data with Cricket, it's the best deal I've found.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We pay about $65 per line for my wife and I with unlimited data, and we use it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AAAHHHH

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
    jzfyb0qinusg.jpg
    7ugrzburo4or.jpg

Context:
    I finally went into the office a while back to pick up this desktop computer my work dumped on me the day before we started mandatory WFH. I was in a hurry, I had a monitor at home, figured I could just plug them into each other no worries. Of course this behemoth doesn't have an HDMI output?
    I see it has a VGA and the monitor also has a VGA so great I'll just get the company to buy me a cable and that way I can use the monitor on multiple machines without messing with plugs

only the cable is a male-male and the VGA output here is male
    so I finally order an adaptor, admittedly without paying a lot of attention to what I'm ordering because seriously it's not like you can fuck up a double ended VGA plug and yet HERE WE ARE

yes I am aware that mini-gender-changer sounds like a cyberpunk device

• Options
    The thought "Do I have an angle grinder?" should never pop into your head while dealing with computer cabling issues, for the record.

This discussion has been closed.