As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I feel like my case has a way to mount a graphic card sitting vertically on panel above the power supply. I think I saw that in the manual.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I feel like my case has a way to mount a graphic card sitting vertically on panel above the power supply. I think I saw that in the manual.

You read the manual? What kind of sacrelige is this?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I’m a librarian. Of course I read reference material.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    My case while a big box allows horizontal placement of the motherboard and fam it's so much easier to work with and no droops from giant heat sinks or cards

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    the msi 30-series cards come with this bracket you can install underneath but it kind of does fuck-all as far as i can tell. ill be moving to a sandwich layout soon though so my future will be droop free

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I’m a librarian. Of course I read reference material.

I'll allow it, but just this once.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I got the Roku today, the delux one and boy do I hate that movies on some streaming platforms are now widescreen format only. Let me decide that damn it

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Mine has that too but then i'd have to get some sort of ribbon to connect the card to the PCI slot and the fans would be againse the side of the case with no vent there so.. twine was the answer.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Is it just me but does anyone have to reinstall their entire graphic drivers every couple of window updates or some videos would be choppy and unwatchable, it's annoying as heck

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Looks like T-Mobile has a deal right now where as long as you can trade-in a working cell phone (smart or otherwise), they'll hook you up with a free Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

edit: And everyone on their network is getting a free upgrade to unlimited data.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Minor apologies, I didn't mean to ask a thing and then bail for three days but it was the weekend goddamit.

The point about multiple people needing to be able to use the TV is a fair one, we got around that by turning an old Android phone without a sim card into a dedicated casting device for my kids and parents when they visit but that's not an entirely elegant solution.

I get what you guys are saying about finding a remote more convenient than using your phone but I just like it better, the app interface is often the same between phone and dedicated device and I feel like I can navigate faster on my phone than I can plodding along on a remote (and I realize that a voice remote would mitigate the speed factor, possibly).

Also also almost everything is castable from an Android phone, stuff like the HGTV and Food Network and Xfinity apps, that I'm not sure have a presence on a dedicated device. I appreciate your answers though, peoples' preferences around that kind of everyday task are really interesting to me.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tech thread what the hell are these crypto credit cards powered by Visa I keep getting ads for

A crypto credit card backed by an actual credit card company doesn't even make sense isn't that just a regular credit card using normal people money

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Tech thread what the hell are these crypto credit cards powered by Visa I keep getting ads for

A crypto credit card backed by an actual credit card company doesn't even make sense isn't that just a regular credit card using normal people money

Yeah but credit card companies are more than happy to take your real money to give you fake money with no easy way to reverse the process

• Options
    I can't wait until Visa comes up with the idea for Visa Hard Credit where they send you paper that represents a certain amount of credit for Visa that you can exchange for good and services.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I can't wait until Visa comes up with the idea for Visa Hard Credit where they send you paper that represents a certain amount of credit for Visa that you can exchange for good and services.

tech companies reinvent the bus every couple of years so sadly this is probably going to happen sooner rather than later

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

tech companies reinvent the bus every couple of years so sadly this is probably going to happen sooner rather than later

Or Teslas fuckin' tunnel that is worse than any airport train you've ever been on but it DOES have nice lights.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Or Teslas fuckin' tunnel that is worse than any airport train you've ever been on but it DOES have nice lights.

ah yes elon's "revolutionary" 12 foot diameter tunnels that are relatively cheap because nobody can use 12 foot diameter tunnels in the real world for much of anything transport related because they're a fucking deathtrap.

there do exist train tunnels with diameters that small, but they're all incredibly old, would never be allowed today, and also subway cars don't carry 100 kWh in stored chemical energy on board each.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Its a tunnel for sem-rich people. Don't have to sit with the general public, don't have to share the road with the general public. The real rich people of course will still arrive by chauffer or helicopter.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    doesn't the hyperloop also... not do the pressure thing that was supposed to make its capsules work?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    doesn't the hyperloop also... not do the pressure thing that was supposed to make its capsules work?

No they do, at least the test ones a few companies have built. They might not pump it down all the way through.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    this apple event is cracking me up, man. I get that they're always up their own butt (and i'm fully invested in the ecosystem), but it's fucking arduous to watch when they really get going.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    this apple event is cracking me up, man. I get that they're always up their own butt (and i'm fully invested in the ecosystem), but it's fucking arduous to watch when they really get going.

KEbkpDe.jpg

fancy colors tho

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm looking at that price and laughing at the "specs" below that they think are worth calling out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    For the ipad they flashed up a list of all of its achievements in design and one was Oleophobic Coating and I was like fuck off fuck off forever, I don't care if that is a real thing you look like an 8th grader adding an extra space after every sentence to end up with an extra page in an essay.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oleophobic means it resists oils. Basically a fancy way of saying it wont get all smudged from fingerprints? But...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I just don't get people wanting expensive, non-upgradeable macs. Laptops sure fine. But a PC? I mean yes the displays are fantastic and if I ever win the lotto I am buying some for my personal computer, but 250GB and 8 gigs of RAM and what kind of processor for the next however long just won't cut it

• Options
    the m1 chip really punched above its weight class in the mac mini, I'm wondering how it will hold up in the imac, and what the active cooling situation could be like

i was sort of hoping that they'd go with a hybrid memory solution for this though - right now that 8GB of CPU/GPU ram is on the die of the processor, which allows for incredibly fast memory access, but for a lot of applications mac software has relied on having huge amounts of ram, and i don't know how you get around that on a device where you can't expand the memory

• Options
    I just don't get people wanting expensive, non-upgradeable macs. Laptops sure fine. But a PC? I mean yes the displays are fantastic and if I ever win the lotto I am buying some for my personal computer, but 250GB and 8 gigs of RAM and what kind of processor for the next however long just won't cut it

It's absolutely wild to me, it's everything that a home computer should not be for the level of investment that this thing is.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Most people and businesses don't upgrade their computers parts. Here you're getting a solid productivity machine with a great monitor in an easy to set up package. Thats the draw. Yea you're not going to be designing anything in solid works, but that's not what this is for. The only real thing I would have preferred to see is 12gb of RAM.

My mom is still running her Imac from 2010 and just in the last year has really needed to upgrade. She is very excited for this, and it will probably do what she needs to do for another 10 years or so.

I'm interested to see how the M1 chip functions in a desktop application. Especially with memory hungry software.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    if you're paying 1500 dollars for a productivity desktop machine, you're getting hella ripped off, even with the monitor.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Most people and businesses don't upgrade their computers parts. Here you're getting a solid productivity machine with a great monitor in an easy to set up package. Thats the draw. Yea you're not going to be designing anything in solid works, but that's not what this is for. The only real thing I would have preferred to see is 12gb of RAM.

My mom is still running her Imac from 2010 and just in the last year has really needed to upgrade. She is very excited for this, and it will probably do what she needs to do for another 10 years or so.

I'm interested to see how the M1 chip functions in a desktop application. Especially with memory hungry software.

I have generally worked for small/medium businesses but my employers have upgraded their parts as needed a lot. SSDs especially are way more economical to upgrade with aftermarket parts than in the online shopping cart. What HP and Dell charge to upgrade stock 256GB for a 512GB is criminal.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    2N0LZcv.jpg

yeah this is kinda crazy to me

top spec model is a 512gb SSD and you can't expand it

YhrqfMx.jpg

like I get that it's thin, but my desk could easily accommodate a BTX form factor case, and that's... 26 times thicker than this thing? Would bumping up the width from 11mm up to 22mm really turn off that many people, if it meant they could service/repair/upgrade the machine themselves?

because with the OS installed, that's ~40GB gone for OSX, leaving you with 470GB left.

If you're editing 4k video on this thing, that's:

BMPC 4K ProRes (HQ) 4K UHD 23.976fps 5.3 GB/min 318 GB/hr

an hour and a half worth of 4k RAW footage? plus you're going to be paging in and out from the SSD to RAM constantly

it feels like a very weird position for a desktop

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

No they do, at least the test ones a few companies have built. They might not pump it down all the way through.

The Tesla tunnels do not. They are literally just small shitty death trap tunnels that only rich people can use

they abandoned all the concepts like vacuum pods and magnetic rails and just said what if... none of that

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    you're not fooling me, that's just an ipad on a stick

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

The Tesla tunnels do not. They are literally just small shitty death trap tunnels that only rich people can use

they abandoned all the concepts like vacuum pods and magnetic rails and just said what if... none of that

I'm anticipating the first spectacular disaster already.

• Options
    2N0LZcv.jpg

yeah this is kinda crazy to me

top spec model is a 512gb SSD and you can't expand it

YhrqfMx.jpg

like I get that it's thin, but my desk could easily accommodate a BTX form factor case, and that's... 26 times thicker than this thing? Would bumping up the width from 11mm up to 22mm really turn off that many people, if it meant they could service/repair/upgrade the machine themselves?

because with the OS installed, that's ~40GB gone for OSX, leaving you with 470GB left.

If you're editing 4k video on this thing, that's:

BMPC 4K ProRes (HQ) 4K UHD 23.976fps 5.3 GB/min 318 GB/hr

an hour and a half worth of 4k RAW footage? plus you're going to be paging in and out from the SSD to RAM constantly

it feels like a very weird position for a desktop

In like 90% of cases, tech absolutely does not need to get smaller at this point. Like, in terms of what consumers actually need. It just should not be a benchmark, at all.

• Options

I was talking about the other companies that have built test hypertubes. They do pump down their tubes. The tunnels under Las Vegas are a different Musk company, not associated with the hyper tube stuff. They hypertube stuff is still silly though. Good luck keeping thousands of miles of tube leak free.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I mean, I'll take continuously smaller tech.

Even looking for mini-ITX cases for below my television, they're still too big. And they're all hilariously ugly.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I'm sure Apple will make official expandable 1 TB drives in matching colors that can take up one of those Thunderbolt ports for like $500

• Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I mean, I'll take continuously smaller tech.

Even looking for mini-ITX cases for below my television, they're still too big. And they're all hilariously ugly.

Look into an Intel NUC. They are about as small as you're going to get for a fully functional computer.

This discussion has been closed.