As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just want Final Fight.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    In Fae Tactics, follow a young magic user named Peony on her journey across a vibrant world full of mystery and danger. Summon allies, cast spells, and befriend a motley crew of characters as you dive into the growing conflicts between man and magical beings known as fae.
    20200731 FaeTactics (rpg, tactics, fantasy, FFT-like, catch-em-all)

Dive into a dark world where monsters rule and make pacts with them to defeat an evil young woman seeking power. Hunt, battle, tame and breed monsters to create your own legacy. Together with your monsters, you can restore the balance to Crown Island.
    20200731 Monster Crown (pokemon-like, rpg, collect-em-all, turn based)

• Options
    A true VR Action RPG built from ground up to fully immerse you in what VR has to offer. Every five thousand years the planets align and create a rift in the fabric of cosmos. It’s prior to such an event that this story unfolds. Play as a Murkwraith, an undying knight barred from Death’s domain, and cursed to eternal servitude for sins committed eons ago. Experience a rich story that takes you on a perilous journey through dark dungeons filled with monsters, traps, puzzles, treasure and more.
    20200731 Karnage Chronicles (VR, ARPG, Multiplayer)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    god damn it someone told me Hellpoint wasn't a souls-like so i pre-bought it now i have another damn souls-like

• Options
    SOULS FOR THE SOULSGOD

• Options
    edited July 2020
    i can't get no souls! i suck at getting souls! i only have, like, six!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    it's official, we are good at Overcooked

wb84w8t6yp1t.jpg

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    How could you look at hellpoint and not go “yup, that’s a soulslike”

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    nice

• Options
    edited July 2020
    rhylith wrote: »

it took a lot of skill and intelligence but i managed it

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I am really looking forward to playing Fae tactics later, hope it's good!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Is Youngblood any good?

I enjoyed it but it's certainly the weakest of the new entries.

The characters are great, gameplay is solid, but the format of levels and missions makes it more dull as you go through the same maps doing different objectives and needing to level grind to progress in the story along with the microtransaction insertions makes it an odd duck.

Still would recommend checking it out for more Wolfenstein action.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to playing Fae tactics later, hope it's good!

Reviews say it's good, if not revolutionary, which I doubt it was ever trying to be.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I want someone other than koei to take a stab at the dynasty warriors formula

capcom had sengoku basara for while but fuck knows where that went

I loved Sengoku Basara 3, it made me sad to see Capcom push it out the door practically without telling anyone and let it die

Man, maybe I should see about buying Sengoku Basara 4 on PS4 and playing it with a translation guide

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Is Youngblood any good?

The characters are great, gameplay is solid, but the format of levels and missions makes it more dull as you go through the same maps doing different objectives and needing to level grind to progress in the story along with the microtransaction insertions makes it an odd duck.

The upgrades and ability unlocks did make for some interesting decision making, and while I agree about the issue with the way the levels are formatted, I think the actual design of those levels has some interesting stuff. Youngblood is by the studio that makes DIshonored, so there's a lot more vertical mobility and aspects of the level design taking advantage of that, and more routes through and around an area that can be used for interesting maneuvering against enemies.
    As well, I think it has my favorite weapon sandbox in the series so far.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is Youngblood any good?

Youngblood was one of those games that feels like it was designed pre-Battlefront II, and then had to hastily remove the microtransactions from the game before launch, but without rebalancing the game at all, so you're still collecting an in-game currency to upgrade your weapons and get new emotes (it's designed as a coop multiplayer game, but you can play it solo.)

Beyond that, the game is alright. Too little cutscenes (Which are the best part of the new Wolfenstein games) but what are there are pretty great. Biggest gripe for me is the game has a damage/armor system that requires you to use certain guns on certain enemy types, which would be fine, but it's stuff like "Pistol and Rifle work best on heavy armor, shotgun and chaingun work best on heavy armor" which is actually kind of difficult to remember in the heat of combat. It's not like a bullet/explosives/energy difference, it's a "These weapons are arbitrarily good against armor type A, these one are arbitrarily good against armor type B."

• Options
    JNiCvlM.png

Ooh Wilmot's Warehouse

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    God damn, I thought A Plague Tale: Innocence was a 15-hour, linear, single-player, not-AAA game. How is this a 42 GB download.

It’s very very pretty and awesome. Lots of dialogue too which is hard to compress as easily

Two chapters in and yeah, this is very pretty. And harrowing!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Com
    Is Youngblood any good?

Youngblood was one of those games that feels like it was designed pre-Battlefront II, and then had to hastily remove the microtransactions from the game before launch, but without rebalancing the game at all, so you're still collecting an in-game currency to upgrade your weapons and get new emotes (it's designed as a coop multiplayer game, but you can play it solo.)

Beyond that, the game is alright. Too little cutscenes (Which are the best part of the new Wolfenstein games) but what are there are pretty great. Biggest gripe for me is the game has a damage/armor system that requires you to use certain guns on certain enemy types, which would be fine, but it's stuff like "Pistol and Rifle work best on heavy armor, shotgun and chaingun work best on heavy armor" which is actually kind of difficult to remember in the heat of combat. It's not like a bullet/explosives/energy difference, it's a "These weapons are arbitrarily good against armor type A, these one are arbitrarily good against armor type B."

You don't really need to do that though. I have 2 guns that are significantly better than the rest and so I just use them regardless of the armor type of the enemies. They both kill enemies with the opposite armor type faster than guns that are theoretically better suited for the engagement. Neither is more upgraded than the rest of my weapons, but I may have just specced them better by accident while upgrading. In any event, I never have any reason to switch guns because of armor type.

I've been playing through Youngblood over the last week and a half or so after downloading it with gamepass. It's a great looking game, especially in outdoor areas. There is a decent variety of weapons, but at this point (71% through story missions according to the stats) I really only use 2 guns. My only big complaint is the repetitiveness of returning to the same areas over and over and over again as you get new missions that bring you back to them. It got really tedious for a bit, to the point that I was about ready to uninstall. Hitting a major development in the story mode at about the same time that I got some side missions that took me to some interesting new areas went a long way though.

• Options
    I'm looking for a game that has

High production values
    Not First Person
    Focus on narrative, exploration and adventure
    Not as focused on combat, gear or collectibles
    Can be an open world game, but preferably a shorter 20-30hr game instead of a 100+ hour grindfest
    Preferably lets you make your own character or has a non-white-dude main character

The closest I can think of are the new Tomb Raider games, but they're pretty combat heavy, and Prince of Persia Sands of Time / PoP 2008, but those are both over a decade old at this point.

Would Horizon Zero Dawn fit the bill? I don't know how much combat is in that.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    HZD is pretty combat heavy but it does rule so...

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

High production values
    Not First Person
    Can be an open world game, but preferably a shorter 20-30hr game instead of a 100+ hour grindfest
    Preferably lets you make your own character or has a non-white-dude main character

The closest I can think of are the new Tomb Raider games, but they're pretty combat heavy, and Prince of Persia Sands of Time / PoP 2008, but those are both over a decade old at this point.

would you also like a pony

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

High production values
    Not First Person

Yakuza games have a bunch of random fighting but it becomes trivial pretty quick, the focus is mostly on interacting with the neighborhood and advancing the story. Lots of minigames to break tedium between fights too.

The story takes 20-30 hours but there's a metric fuckton of side content, and you can do as much or as little of the side stuff as you want.

Can't make your own guy but you get to be Kiryu.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

High production values
    Not First Person

If it wasn't for the no first person rule (and the character creation stuff) Outer Wilds would be exactly up your ally.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    brolo this is going to sound like a joke but you might like shenmue

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    At war now between the part of me that needs all Soulslikes all the time and the part of me that knows that giving something like a freshly released indie Soulslike a month or so to settle and patch is probably smart.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Magic Pink wrote: »

would you also like a pony

if the game has ponies that is a definite bonus

I think the game that's coming closest to what I'm looking for in spirit might be Beyond Good and Evil.

Shame they're never going to make a sequel to that.

Brolo on
  • Options

Hmm, this is for a friend who has built their first gaming PC. Last gaming console was a GameCube, but I sorta doubt they would have heard of Shenmue 1, let alone played it.

Would you have to know the story of the first Shenmue games to have fun with Shenmue 3? Also is it as janky as those first games? I'd like to avoid frustration/tedium where possible.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

This doesn't sound like a joke

It sounds like an attack

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

It sounds like an attack

don't be silly

brolo hasn't been my nemesis since the forum battle days

but if they come back I will demolish him

• Options
    Actually Plague Tale also seems like it would be great if it weren't filled with rats.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Not everybody knows what a soulslikes like.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Hmm, this is for a friend who has built their first gaming PC. Last gaming console was a GameCube, but I sorta doubt they would have heard of Shenmue 1, let alone played it.

Would you have to know the story of the first Shenmue games to have fun with Shenmue 3? Also is it as janky as those first games? I'd like to avoid frustration/tedium where possible.

Do not buy Shenmue

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

It sounds like an attack

don't be silly

why you gotta do me like this

• Options

It sounds like an attack

don't be silly

why you gotta do me like this

<3

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    speaking of bad games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPB6_g3sq4

August 11th, day 1 on Game Pass
    I dunno, it could be ok. I mentioned this in another thread, but one thing I appreciate about it is since the original was an obvious TMNT parody, updating this to make it look like the modern TMNT entries is a neat touch.

• Options
    so is that one of those exact recreation remakes or just like a reboot

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

As a person with a deep affection for the totally fucked yet endearing charms of Shenmue 1+2 I must say that Shenmue 3 is a big time dumpster soireé, like yeah yeah "Shenmue fans got exactly what they wanted" and kind of! The most pleasingly terrible dialogue and acting is still there and the mundanity is still there but

You know what was a big part of Shenmue? Martial arts dweebdom, the fighting system was bizarre but deep and something to master and you spent those games on a journey of martial arts revenge you learn cool moves from strange people, a hotdog vendor, an incredibly elderly tai chi master, a lady shaolin who teaches you the perfect stillness of a tree, etc.

Shenmue 3 has WRETCHED combat totally overhauled into the gutter from the first games and you learn NOTHING, the plot literally does NOTHING it is a twenty hour filler episode after a fifteen year hiatus it is APALLING it STINKS and I well I don't care for it

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    so is that one of those exact recreation remakes or just like a reboot

looks much like a reboot. there's elements of the original game, but its not 1:1

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.