As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    There's a F2P Risk on steam that you could probably play as 1v1.

Most 4X games should be playable 1v1. Civ, Endless Legend, Endless Space

by 'reflex-based' I assume you're removing all RTS and Fighting Games, which ... uh, heavily filters the field

Hm. Frozen Synapse? Khet 2.0, a weird laser chess thing? Heh, which reminds me of a funny story regarding one of the achievement conditions:
    I was at a friend's house and we'd launched the game. While they were thinking about the first move, I randomly - it's not a habit, and to this day I don't know what possessed me - typed in the konami code on the second controller.

are the XCOM games 1v1? Does that work at all?

Battle For Wesnoth is a free fantasy tactics game. *turns to the general audience* Highly recommended. *turns back*

Netstorm: Islands At War should be free, though it's a bit more fast-paced and I've never tried the multiplayer.

Tamin on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Grounded:

A wolf spider decided to spawn next to my stuff, kill me, wreck my base and basically spawn-camp. Fucking spiders, I swear

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Pc thread, I am looking for suggestions.

I want a competitive game, preferably 1v1, that is not an fps and preferably not an reflex based game. I'm also looking to avoid ccgs/tcgs or games where you have to buy components of the game to compete.

Any suggestions? I've loved Prismata and puzzle strike recently.

There's puyo puyo Tetris if you like puzzle games. Though admittedly a lot of the time the people still hanging around in online matchmaking are pretty hardcore. The last time i managed to even get a match it was against someone who was like, number 15 in Korea and I got absolutely worked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    There's a really good Double Fine bundle up on Humble Bundle, especially if someone doesn't own the LucasArts remakes (DotT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango) yet!
    8 bucks for basically everything you could want

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    There's a really good Double Fine bundle up on Humble Bundle, especially if someone doesn't own the LucasArts remakes (DotT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango) yet!
    8 bucks for basically everything you could want

I had been meaning to get the VR Psychonauts, so that's pretty nice.

I think someone went a bit too fast when putting up the bundle page, because Rad and 140 have cover images for completely different things.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Overcooked? (Or Cook,Serve,Delicious? I always forget which is which?)

Iirc one of them had a decent 1v1 that quick puzzle thinking and sorting could make up for speed

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I turned on Satisfactory's arachnophobia mode on once and while it's funny, it makes hitting the spiders impossible.

I just pepper any area with spiders in with dynamite. Levelling the whole area usually helps

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Playing Euro Truck Simulator

Driving through Germany while listening to Autobahn

Maybe video games are alright?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

this is a new Steam Workshop-like system that allows you to subscribe to mods and have them automatically download, install, and update. You could already manually install mods on EGS games like Civ 6.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Are there any decent to, dare I hope, good Gundam games?

The Dynasty Warriors Except They're Gundams games were pretty fun

it depends on what you want out of a Gundam game.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam is exactly what it says on the tin

Gundam Breaker is Gunpla: The Game. customize, paint, upgrade.

New Gundam Breaker is Gunpla: The VN

Gundam vs is basically the arcade game

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As a Dynasty Warriors Fan

I think the maps in Dynasty Warriors Gundam are so bad that they ruin what otherwise is a mechanically fun experience

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Is mechwarrior 5 any good?

Mech warrior online was a pay to skip the grind piece of garbage

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I think the maps in Dynasty Warriors Gundam are so bad that they ruin what otherwise is a mechanically fun experience

calling them maps is very generous

they are square arenas that sometimes have a skybox and several shipping containers

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf7fsJG54Hs

how does this early access trailer make you feel

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looks a bit gundam x armored core-ish

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    People seem to hate that New Gundam Breaker game. How is it like a visual novel?
    The VS one seems popular but not sure I'd want to deal with multiplayer really. There's one new one out like right now too.
    Breaker 3 sounds interesting, and actually gameplay wise this SD Gundam tactics/strategy one sounds pretty all right too, but all the suits are super deformed, which I guess is ok.

Will probably stick to watching to shows for now, especially since a lot of these will be doing plot references a bunch.

Edit: although actually watching some gameplay clips while fire emblem-ish tactics with gundam sounded good in my head watching it play out kind of sucks all the life out of dynamic mecha fighting.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    I've always wanted dynamic mecha fighting, but even the good entries tend to have controls that are a few steps past intolerable at the absolute best.

The From Software Gundam games weren't bad, although I don't think they've made one since the PSP?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I played it at release and it was a fun stompy bot game with some balance issues (enemy spawn behavior was pretty un-fun). They’ve patched that since then but i haven’t checked out how it plays since then. It ticks the right boxes for a mech game though. Maybe browse the G&T thread for others’ impressions if you’re curious.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Pc thread, I am looking for suggestions.

I want a competitive game, preferably 1v1, that is not an fps and preferably not an reflex based game. I'm also looking to avoid ccgs/tcgs or games where you have to buy components of the game to compete.

Any suggestions? I've loved Prismata and puzzle strike recently.

It’s an old one, but there’s Hero Academy. Not sure if there’s an active player base currently and think there might be some DLC teams? Been a minute.

Wargroove is an homage to Advanced Wars and has 1 vs 1 competitive. It’s entirely turn based, and all factions are functionally identical except for their commander’s special ability.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    People seem to hate that New Gundam Breaker game. How is it like a visual novel?
    The VS one seems popular but not sure I'd want to deal with multiplayer really. There's one new one out like right now too.
    Breaker 3 sounds interesting, and actually gameplay wise this SD Gundam tactics/strategy one sounds pretty all right too, but all the suits are super deformed, which I guess is ok.

Will probably stick to watching to shows for now, especially since a lot of these will be doing plot references a bunch.

Edit: although actually watching some gameplay clips while fire emblem-ish tactics with gundam sounded good in my head watching it play out kind of sucks all the life out of dynamic mecha fighting.

so New Breaker is a considerable step down from Breaker 3 in virtually every way, the most irritating to me was making abilities tied to components, wrecking the customization. The second part was making the story basically a light harem branching VN with mechs locked behind branches

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOlcAYJ4JY

Quantum League, a time-loop based arena shooter, is doing a free weekend until Sunday, along with a 50% off sale ($10) and a month of community-run tournaments to promote the newest update, which adds a new map and spectator mode features: https://store.steampowered.com/app/651150/Quantum_League/
    This game is cool as hell but it's super dead so I hope this picks it up

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

I played it at release and it was a fun stompy bot game with some balance issues (enemy spawn behavior was pretty un-fun). They’ve patched that since then but i haven’t checked out how it plays since then. It ticks the right boxes for a mech game though. Maybe browse the G&T thread for others’ impressions if you’re curious.

I know there was a big re-balancing recently which was met with mixed reactions. If it's still part of Gamepass, you could try it out that way for not much commitment.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    MW5 is something I'm hesitant to try if only by how much MWO players bitch about PGI all the time.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people keep releasing their 30-60$ multiplayer shooters and they keep dying

you ain't activision-blizzard guys, just bite the bullet

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    20200730 Bulletbite (Arena shooter, FPS, AAA)

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    oh that sou-- hey, you're not Brolo!

• Options
    people keep releasing their 30-60$ multiplayer shooters and they keep dying

you ain't activision-blizzard guys, just bite the bullet

this one is $20 and it's still doing Very Bad, doesn't help that it's $20 during Early Access

• Options
    Nine out of ten multiplayer games have a shelf life of about three days at this point

Hell, last I heard Hyper Scape had already started to fall off hard and that technically isn't even out yet

• Options
    edited July 2020
    speaking of big companies making games that are getting unpopular: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200730005260/en/
    2K reached a deal with the NFL Player's Association to use NFL players in upcoming games
    NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K, OneTeam Partners (OneTeam) and the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), today announced a partnership that will allow the label to include National Football League (NFL) players in multiple football games in development and set to launch starting in calendar year 2021, during Take-Two Interactive’s fiscal year 2022.

The partnership will grant 2K the right to feature the names, numbers, images and likenesses for over 2,000 current NFL players. OneTeam, the NFLPA’s group licensing representative, facilitated the deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.
    2K's NFL games will be non-simulation football game experiences, and are currently in early stages of development. Specific game titles, developers and release dates will be announced at a later date.

Specifically non-simulation, so probably something like their NBA Playgrounds/WWE Battlegrounds games, arcade light-hearted stuff, though they still don't have the actual NFL license.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I started playing Outer Wilds.
    I didn't put on a suit and walked out onto the moon and died in 3 seconds.

I'm so charmed. Also really digging the weird mix of country and shoegaze they used for the soundtrack.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I started playing Outer Wilds.
    I didn't put on a suit and walked out onto the moon and died in 3 seconds.

I'm so charmed. Also really digging the weird mix of country and shoegaze they used for the soundtrack.

the first time you do it is funny

when you’re ten hours in, and you’re so excited to go see a thing, and you do it again, you just feel like the stupidest idiot in the world

it’s great

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

calling them maps is very generous

they are square arenas that sometimes have a skybox and several shipping containers

Aren't most Dynasty Warriors maps just square arenas vaguely connected? I have never played one.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    No, they're usually more maze-like, and you're running around between different parts of the battlefield trying to capture different objectives or defend against enemy attacks.
    Stuff like this:
    5C2CC9A2ED755535088BB0FF1F6BDFEFF08E2AD4

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Heretic Episode 4's opening feels like punishment from god for thinking the first three episodes were too easy and had to much ammo.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

Eeeeh. It's okay. I don't know what the patches after the first month did for the game, but most of the missions being procedurally generated made the game feel real repetitive real soon- oh look, it's another small rectangle where the enemies drop/spawn in with no rhyme or reason, let's do one of the 2.5 objectives that exist and walk to the randomly placed extraction point.

Also, the performance on my machine was so bad it made me miss MWO, and MWO is CryEngine garbage. On my RX580 I basically had to run the game at 1080p upscaled to my 2k monitor, still rarely got more than 40fps, 20fps in forests, and zooming in would often dip into the single digits.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Finished Wolfenstein 2. Loved it, really surprised by how well written the characters are and there's some genuinely funny moments in there too.

It's just so unapologetic about killing Nazis!

Is Youngblood any good?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Me playing RDR2 online, in free roam or solo missions - Ride horse, shoot enemies, generally behave competently.

Me playing RDR2 online, in co-op missions with strangers - go the wrong way, crash horse into obstacle and do a flip, step on a rake, accidentally shoot self falling over

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Glal wrote: »

Eeeeh. It's okay. I don't know what the patches after the first month did for the game, but most of the missions being procedurally generated made the game feel real repetitive real soon- oh look, it's another small rectangle where the enemies drop/spawn in with no rhyme or reason, let's do one of the 2.5 objectives that exist and walk to the randomly placed extraction point.

Also, the performance on my machine was so bad it made me miss MWO, and MWO is CryEngine garbage. On my RX580 I basically had to run the game at 1080p upscaled to my 2k monitor, still rarely got more than 40fps, 20fps in forests, and zooming in would often dip into the single digits.

I got a refund after 45 minutes because the performance was so bad. I turned RTX on and it ran between 2-4FPS. With RTX off the only way to make it playable was running at 1080

This is on a beefy PC, too (Ryzen 3700X, 2070 Super, 64gb ram), so it's just Piranha being bad about making the game

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I want someone other than koei to take a stab at the dynasty warriors formula

capcom had sengoku basara for while but fuck knows where that went

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ten or fifteen years ago on one of them giant bomb quick looks Vinny Caravella posits that a good hook for future dynasty warrior games is outrageous spectacle like rivers of blood, the dead lay where you laid them to waste in their heaps the gore swirls around your knees you are encumbered by the consequences of your unfettered unstoppable irresistible ultraviolence

This discussion has been closed.