As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    the initial hours were not great, no, the story is also kind of completely nothing until you get out past saturn and jupiter
    once you hit neptune and uranus they actually start trying to have a real story which is pretty interesting

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    If it aint your thing, it aint your thing. No stress.

I come back to it occasionally to play with friends then get bored of it, wait to updates, n' repeat!

But it's a whole lot better with friends. And if you like being a slidin' flyin' space ninja.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Warframe is about the goofy bullshit you can do with your absurd OP gear an powers, so yeah, the first like, several days of play are pretty meh because you don't have any of that yet.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have a lot of fun clearing out the planets for the first time, anything after that just gives me diminishing returns in terms of effort spent over enjoyment gained
    That is already like a couple hundred hours of game though

Peas on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think the thing that hooked me to keep playing before the story really kicked in was taking a look through all the weapon blueprints I could get off the market and build with only a little effort. And I could get fun new Frames like Rhino and Mag by just pushing a little further too. At some point some friends taxied me through some rewarding high level content.

The Fortuna trailer did a lot to hook me on the world early on also.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Still playing Forza Horizon 4, still having fun.

Anyway, I got the last-because-I-don't-have-10M-for-a-castle Barn Find, and it's the infamous Peel P50. The kind of car that's so small, you can take it into the office with you after you drive it to work. The kind of car that in the game, tops out in 3rd gear at about 45mph/72kph on a slight decline. This being a racing game though, you can get better parts and tweak the car's stats. How much you ask?

7olrraawszct.png

Now it tops out in 6th gear at 177mph/284kph. I also can't turn otherwise it immediately devolves into uncontrolled spinning due to the wheels being about the size of a lawn mower's.

It is so very hilariously fun.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    See, mostly warframe's a podcast game for me.

Lots of checkboxes to tick, lots of bars to fill, lots of numbers to make go higher

and the gameplay is fun enough in a tactile, instinctive way; you just shut your brain off and engage with the mechanics

mostly

because when Warframe does decide to actually invest in its lore, its setting, the dividends it pays are immense. I wont get into the details for spoiler reasons, but the devs found a way to make the thoughtless grind mentioned above make sense within the narrative structure of the game. You dont find out how right off the bat but when you do it re-contextualizes the whole game, breathing new meaning to the however many hours you've invested in it. I think that's a tremendously smart maneuver they managed to pull and in practice I found it incredibly satisfying

The actual lore and aesthetics are also pretty unique, relying on inspiration from the works of french artist Moebius and eschewing the general sci-fi visual designs that mainstream games seem to follow (e.g. 40k hyper-masculine grimdarkness, Destiny-esque plastic materiel, etc.) it's refreshing and novel and pretty well done when they get to it

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Even before you get very far in the game, if you slow down and pay attention to things like Nora Night's radio broadcasts or check out the Leverian exhibits, there's some really intriguing writing there.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    part of my daily prayer is that Fable 4 is on PC at launch

I would be very surprised if it isn't, with the way things work atm, Gamepass and all

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Even before you get very far in the game, if you slow down and pay attention to things like Nora Night's radio broadcasts or check out the Leverian exhibits, there's some really intriguing writing there.

Some of the writing in the story quests has some legit excellent command of language

There are lines that don’t make any real sense but they sound and feel perfect for the character and their meaning

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My issue with war frame was I got to a part where I couldn’t beat the next like story missions solo, and it never found me randoms to play them, so I just eventually had to give up. But I did enjoy my time with it as a podcast game

Prohass on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    honestly I found that changing which zone it auto-assigns you really helps with finding random players; it seems to only associate you with players with a specific ping range from your region exclusively, so if you want to make sure you always get some gaming friends I recommend going to options and changing the location to europe, asia, north america. warframe's big enough that there's almost always someone, somewhere, playing a level for some reason

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Still playing Forza Horizon 4, still having fun.

Anyway, I got the last-because-I-don't-have-10M-for-a-castle Barn Find, and it's the infamous Peel P50. The kind of car that's so small, you can take it into the office with you after you drive it to work. The kind of car that in the game, tops out in 3rd gear at about 45mph/72kph on a slight decline. This being a racing game though, you can get better parts and tweak the car's stats. How much you ask?

7olrraawszct.png

Now it tops out in 6th gear at 177mph/284kph. I also can't turn otherwise it immediately devolves into uncontrolled spinning due to the wheels being about the size of a lawn mower's.

It is so very hilariously fun.

Hayabusa swaps, absolutely incredible when they go right, and nightmare-fuel death traps when they go wrong!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The Long Dark

I'm so stupid, I was dying from dehydration and couldn't find matches which would allow me to light a fire and melt snow

So I lit a flare to provide light and kept looking for matches while it got dark

As the flare slowly fizzled out, I realized I could've used to light a fire

Platy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Warframe had some dude make them a rad intro cinematic, but haven't done anything with it. They haven't even put it in the game. They said yesterday they didn't want to just have that and then drop players into the current tutorial because it has nothing to do with that badass cinematic they'd have just seen, so they completely redid the intro tutorials so that they'd help the cinematic make sense as well as introduce you to Warframe. After 3133 hours in Warframe, it's safe to say it's been my favorite game for the past 7 years, and I'm still excited to go back and play through the new upcoming tutorial.

Here's the cinematic, it's really great
    https://youtu.be/MsbL8lFHrZI

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I got into Warframe when it looked VERY different, and it basically just dropped you into a starmap and said "Alright have fun", but moving through the ships shooting and slashing dudes was fun enough to keep going, and enough that for a long time I farmed up every frame and gun in the game

Back then Excalibur (my most used frame due to Excalibur Prime) had it's first ability just zoom you across the room and cut everything your hitbox touched in half, so that was pretty cool too.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am currently downloading the beta for the game I kickstarted years ago made by the Space Quest guys. I'll report back how bad it is.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    A movie that is basically The Last Starfighter but 5D chess.

Every Terminator movie at once and at the same time.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Update: Space Venture is very rough. You play as a plumber who is definitely not Roger Wilco, though you get to a ship at the very start and in the supply room is a janitor passed out and the Roger Wilco outfit is drying on a line.

Also the narrator from Space Quest 6 is here, which is very strange to hear again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Update: Space Venture is very rough. You play as a plumber who is definitely not Roger Wilco, though you get to a ship at the very start and in the supply room is a janitor passed out and the Roger Wilco outfit is drying on a line.

Also the narrator from Space Quest 6 is here, which is very strange to hear again.

Rough as in a game design standpoint, or "this is very obviously a beta" rough? I have the beta but haven't bothered to download it yet.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Rough as in a game design standpoint, or "this is very obviously a beta" rough? I have the beta but haven't bothered to download it yet.

Obviously Beta. The humor is very similar to the Space Quest games.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I backed that.

A looooooooooong time ago.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ah yes, Space Quest

The game where I needed a jet pack, looked it up and realized that I missed my chance to get it earlier in the game, and went "Oh right, Sierra" and never played it or any other Space Quest game again

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost was it you that was playing Beyond a Steel Sky? Did you finish it?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played some Warframe and I think I remember why I stopped. There's a million things you can do, but there's very little guidance for what you should do.

As part of finishing up the few things on the star chart I was missing I did the Ropalolyst boss fight. It had multiple unique mechanics that weren't communicated at all, so I looked it up on the wiki to figure out how to beat it. I was doing it in public matchmaking and it seemed like none of the other people in the group knew how to fight it either.

I tried the first two missions of the recently added hard mode and it is not fun solo. Maybe a build where you use aoe warframe powers is more effective than guns, but my guns were definitely not fast at killing anything.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I played some Warframe and I think I remember why I stopped. There's a million things you can do, but there's very little guidance for what you should do.

As part of finishing up the few things on the star chart I was missing I did the Ropalolyst boss fight. It had multiple unique mechanics that weren't communicated at all, so I looked it up on the wiki to figure out how to beat it. I was doing it in public matchmaking and it seemed like none of the other people in the group knew how to fight it either.

I tried the first two missions of the recently added hard mode and it is not fun solo. Maybe a build where you use aoe warframe powers is more effective than guns, but my guns were definitely not fast at killing anything.

the ropapolyst is incredibly easy if you know what you're doing, and an absolute fucking nightmare if people don't

or sometimes it just bugs out

hard mode is only meaningful if you are unbelievably decked out, and the rewards are incredibly mediocre

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    having had very poor luck farming ropeadopealyst for the bits of the warframe it drops, I can say with authority that it bugs out... a lot
    their design vision reach exceeds their technical grasp with boss fights often

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @timspork's ghost was it you that was playing Beyond a Steel Sky? Did you finish it?

I did not. I stopped to try and play the original since there were so many callbacks but I got distracted. What I played of it was good.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    FROG FRACTIONS GAME OF THE DECADE EDITION OUT NOW ON STEAM!

It's free y'all! The OST is not out until tomorrow, y'all!

Hop's Iconic Hat DLC is currently 20% off making it only $7.99 y'all!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Warframe's likely future purchase by Tencent has me worried for all sorts of things, and I hate that I'm probably done with the game because of that.

There's so much neat stuff in that game. Argh.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Warframe's likely future purchase by Tencent has me worried for all sorts of things, and I hate that I'm probably done with the game because of that.

There's so much neat stuff in that game. Argh.

this seems very speculative

what do you think would change?

Brolo on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I've been playing Fae Tactics, its pretty fun! The combat systems feel good to use and you have a dog in your party right off the bat. Pretty good.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

ngl, I fuckin love JNCO jeans. Always have

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Several more quality titles(and also Shaq Fu) were added to Twitch Prime.

Chroma Squad
    Blazing Chrome
    Treachery in Beatdown City
    WARSAW
    Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I love that they were so adamant that shaq fu was "not going to be bad like the original" and wound up making something that is not only exactly as much a product of its time as the original, but also somehow even cornier

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I love that they were so adamant that shaq fu was "not going to be bad like the original" and wound up making something that is not only exactly as much a product of its time as the original, but also somehow even cornier

Product of its time is... one way to put it, sure. There was even some dialogue that even Microsoft said no to, because they're present on the PS4/PC versions but iirc completely cut from the XBox version.

For example 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfLQS8nj46w

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Shorty wrote: »

It has both transphobic and homophobic jokes within the first 15 minutes and the first boss is a Chris Brown analogue complete with abuse jokes. It’s real bad

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    OOFA DOOFA that's a bad one

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.