As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon | How Will You Rise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zitc-EkLWzQ

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So DS1 post bell tower.
    Like I get all the way up there to ring that bell with the big lever and afterward some jack ass is just hanging out up there spamming that lever and ringing the bell all the time when I’m in that area. Is it that black leather sin guy just jamming on the bell?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually, every time you hear the bell ring in the game, it's because another player has just rung it in their game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    actually, every time you hear the bell ring in the game, it's because another player has just rung it in their game

It’s going all the time in my game. Just near constant.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I grew up on Sierra Adventure games so the whole forgetting an item at the start and nonsense deaths were just a thing to me that I learned as a game mechanic.

Playing a Lucasarts adventure after growing up on Sierra and Infocom games was a real trip. I'd never played an adventure where it didn't feel like the game hated me.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I grew up on Sierra Adventure games so the whole forgetting an item at the start and nonsense deaths were just a thing to me that I learned as a game mechanic.

Playing a Lucasarts adventure after growing up on Sierra and Infocom games was a real trip. I'd never played an adventure where it didn't feel like the game hated me.

You've been eaten by a Grue.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

It’s going all the time in my game. Just near constant.

we poppin the biggest bottles

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Everyone started playing again because of this thread

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

That's...that's madness. Why would anyone put that in a game?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »

That's...that's madness. Why would anyone put that in a game?

You can apply that statement to... a lot of Dark Souls

the answer is usually "because fuck you that's why"

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    In the old version you were only connected to a couple of people at a time, if it rings more frequently it might be because of the dedicated servers in Remastered? Just guessing

It was nice hearing the bell, knowing another person did it, it's a big milestone if you're new to the game

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm playing prepare to die edition and I don't hear it all that often

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That would be a hilarious side effect of the dedicated servers

• Options
    edited August 2020
    For a moment it sounded like a Morse code pattern and I tried to figure it out. I only got “God is dea” before giving up.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    a lot of dark souls is cool ideas for online features in a single player game that kind of work, sorta

• Options
    Maybe you're hearing it everytime someone rings the bell in your hemisphere

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of players actually run into Vagrants

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I stopped at Dark Souls 1 way back after beating the two gargoyle bosses and ringing the bell, and I was a bit lost on what to do after. I went to an underground town but I didn't think I should be there...? Maybe I'll just restart.

(I didn't know you can summon help fighting the gargoyles. Took me a couple days I think to finally beat them)

• Options
    Oh. DS Question
    At one point I ran across a strange summoning sign. I was hollow at the time which was odd and it disappeared before I could look it up. Shortly after that some message about disasters appeared on the screen for a moment. What was that?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That's from one of the covenants

Someone infected your world for a second but then thought better of it or died or

That's normally a lategame PvP thing

Platy on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Unless they changed it in the Remaster the Gravelord covenent doesn't even do anything until the target player is in NG+.

It and the rat covenant are neat experiments that didn't really work and then they gave up on entirely.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rat Covenant worked perfectly though. Open up those acid pools and watch as your esteemed visitors break all their stuff in a matter of seconds. Or put on a White Ring and look like a White Phantom while you hang back at the start of the gauntlet, the part that's not Pharos, and see who falls for your ruse (it was a lot when I was playing) before you blast them into dust from behind.

• Options
    In NG+, getting your world infected by a Gravelord Servant would cause additional enemies to appear (it still seems to work that way in Remastered?)

Players from infected worlds can travel to the world of the Gravelord Servant and try to stop them

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Unless they changed it in the Remaster the Gravelord covenent doesn't even do anything until the target player is in NG+.

It and the rat covenant are neat experiments that didn't really work and then they gave up on entirely.
    I think they did change it so that they can target anyone in the remaster.

• Options
    Yeah I am most definitely not in NG+.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DS3 progress
    After beating the Abyss Watchers I kinda wandered around aimlessly for a while, not really knowing what to do.

I ended up finding and beating the Crystal Sage, and then stumbled my way to the Cathedral with the giants in it and the most hilariously one-sided boss fight where I just beat the everloving shit out of a crowd of old priests.

Spent another couple of hours trying to figure out where the hell I was meant to go before I realised that if I’d just taken a single step further past the bonfire in the Abyss Watchers room hours earlier, the Catacombs entrance would have opened for me.

So I’m currently parked at a bonfire in the lower Catacombs, just past a fire demon encounter (a bizarre fight in which I barely had to do a thing, as the demon managed to aggro a mimic I didn’t even know was there, which promptly proceeded to fuck its day), with two paths available to me, one to a fight with Lord Wolnir and one to a fight with a demon king.

Which should I be focusing on first? Wolnir seems like it has more spectacle to it so I’m assuming it’s important, but the other to the demon king has a huge room with a big old Shai-Hulud lookin’ asshole just before it that really caught my eye.

I mainly ask as I’m 30ish hours in now and starting to feel the twinge of burnout with the game.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »
    DS3 progress
    After beating the Abyss Watchers I kinda wandered around aimlessly for a while, not really knowing what to do.

I ended up finding and beating the Crystal Sage, and then stumbled my way to the Cathedral with the giants in it and the most hilariously one-sided boss fight where I just beat the everloving shit out of a crowd of old priests.

Spent another couple of hours trying to figure out where the hell I was meant to go before I realised that if I’d just taken a single step further past the bonfire in the Abyss Watchers room hours earlier, the Catacombs entrance would have opened for me.

So I’m currently parked at a bonfire in the lower Catacombs, just past a fire demon encounter (a bizarre fight in which I barely had to do a thing, as the demon managed to aggro a mimic I didn’t even know was there, which promptly proceeded to fuck its day), with two paths available to me, one to a fight with Lord Wolnir and one to a fight with a demon king.

Which should I be focusing on first? Wolnir seems like it has more spectacle to it so I’m assuming it’s important, but the other to the demon king has a huge room with a big old Shai-Hulud lookin’ asshole just before it that really caught my eye.

I mainly ask as I’m 30ish hours in now and starting to feel the twinge of burnout with the game.
    I think I ended up doing Wolnir first between those two, but one way or another, while you are not necessarily close to the end, you are close to the most jaw-dropping entry into the endgame in the entire Souls series, in my opinion

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    DS3 progress

It’s been a while since I played DS3 but I think you want to go for Wolnir here. The area after him is cool.

• Options
    The demon area is optional and the enemies there are stronger than what's on the regular path

It has a couple of throwback items and two pyromancy tomes

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I think they did change it so that they can target anyone in the remaster.

It could always target people though, there just wouldn't be the tough phantom enemies added to their world until NG+. Which kind of made it all pointless. Those are supposed to be the disasters mentioned.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Finished Blasphemous, the dark souls style of story telling is still very bad but overall Blasphemous was a very good game, I wish you didn't have to new game plus to see all the new dlc stuff but i can just youtube it

And because I dont want to drown myself in another f2p mmo I went through my library and saw I had Tyranny so I'm giving that a shot, I've never really done this style of game and I definitely wish it was just actually turn based but its kind of fun getting used to the combat (and the ways errant clicks can accidentally mess it up)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Also, would it be worth doing up a new Souls thread, since it has been dominating this thread for the past week or so? I feel like it’s been drowning out a lot of other game discussion for folks.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Hrrrrrrrrrm, if I didn't stop at those rats, why did I stop playing DS last time?

-checks-

Oh. Ooooooooooooooh. Okay. Yeah no, that pitch-black area with skeletons and falling at any misstep is not enjoyable. oof

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Also, would it be worth doing up a new Souls thread, since it has been dominating this thread for the past week or so? I feel like it’s been drowning out a lot of other game discussion for folks.

I think that's not a bad idea

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    The demon area is optional and the enemies there are stronger than what's on the regular path

It has a couple of throwback items and two pyromancy tomes

it's extremely worth doing if you're into the environmental storytelling aspect of Dark Souls

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I think that's not a bad idea
    The GnT thread is an option as well.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/219152/the-reunited-souls-thread#latest

• Options
    I'll make a thread

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I’m on mobile atm, so if someone else wants to make it then go ahead, otherwise I’ll do it later.

e: ahh, cheers Platy

Veldrin on
  • Options
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Phew okay they're gone

This discussion has been closed.