As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    I..well. I guess I should have expected Orivon to be a little spiteful. This has been going on for a few hours now. Every several minutes there is a new pop-up. I don't even know when he is done. Several of these have different messages as well. A lot of them are related to day 29 which is basically Orivon using anything that was gifted to him in the past against me. Oh god make it stop.

Thank you very much. <3<3
    2tj3wev19a10.jpg

Man survives bear after poking it, declares he's lucky to be alive, then pokes it even harder.

News at 11

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I know it's epic store only, but I can't find a thread on it. Is anyone talking about spellbreak? This game is pretty fun and graphically reminds me of breath of the wild which is super nice.

I don't think there's a lot of BR talk in G&T in general. Being a wizard is a nice change of pace from the usual gunplay though.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    I know it's epic store only, but I can't find a thread on it. Is anyone talking about spellbreak? This game is pretty fun and graphically reminds me of breath of the wild which is super nice.

I don't think there's a lot of BR talk in G&T in general. Being a wizard is a nice change of pace from the usual gunplay though.

Some non-zero number of folks were talking about it in the SE++ PC games thread.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Destiny 2 Upgrade Edition is on sale at Chrono.gg today

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Puts into perspective how big the Dale & Gale are.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Orivon is still continuing to rewrite the past. That is a disturbing power for someone to have. Thank you. <3<3
    jg304xpzi4mn.jpg

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Does this filter out all the garbage on Steam? How much are only the good games?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Fourth match of spellbreak
    2tpKmdk.jpgWeHfs5k.jpg

Time to retire

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Does this filter out all the garbage on Steam? How much are only the good games?

Twelve quid.

No, thirteen.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Question for Steam thread - I'm writing a list of games I want to focus on enjoying as, I'm sure we can all sympathise, I sometimes get flustered and discouraged due to the sheer scope of the hole I've dug for myself.

So with the exception of some early access games that I want to pip back in the oven until v1.0, a lot of what I'm writing are run-based roguelikes. Card ones, action ones and puzzlers. However I do really enjoy tactical turn-based strategy games like XCOM or Gears Tactics, but I can't think of one that's a run-based roguelike. The closest I can think of is WH40K Mechanicus and that's definitely on the list, but that's more about playing whole campaigns rather than short, digestible runs if you know what I mean. I think Battletech almost qualifies (especially the non-story campaign mode) but I think I want to leave that on the backburner a while longer before returning.

Am I overlooking anything or does anyone have a suggestion?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

Oh I mean specifically turn-based tactical strategy games in a 'run-based roguelike' formula.

I feel like I'm explaining a very specific fetish

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

Oh I mean specifically turn-based tactical strategy games in a 'run-based roguelike' formula.

Into the Breach?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/dark-souls-franchise/

Dark Souls Remastered 19.99
    Dark Souls II Scholars of the First Sin 9.99 (Holy shit I am grabbing this)
    Dark Souls III Base 19.99
    Dark Soul III Deluxe Edition (Base game with season pass 21.24 but they have ran out of keys although they say they are topping up)

There are other major sales going on as well, but I just want to promote the souls games

• Options
    Thanks to the inestimably generous and also very kind @Orivon for Operencia: The Stolen Sun!
    tow5KjD.png

I do like a nice gridder, and have had my eye on this for a while. I very much appreciate the chance to check it out - thank you! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

Into the Breach?

@TeeMan, XCOM Chimera Squad is a little bit run-based. There are a finite number of squad members. At various points in the game you get opportunities to pick a new squad member from a small subset of the total. So while the overall storyline is the same, the individual mission path you take and what squad members you have are semi-random, like a run-based game. You have to do multiple runs to play with all the squad members.

All that said, it runs longer than a traditional run-based game. One playthrough took me about 40 hours. (Knowing what I know now, future playthroughs could probably be shorter.) Not sure if that robust a game is disqualifying for the particular fetishgenre you are dialing in on.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Happy Fun Ball is not constrained by linear time.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    @iolo you're getting close with that one, good recommendation. I enjoyed Chimera Squad a lot, but as you said it's not quite the run-based game I'm looking for as the campaign, for the scope of gameplay, is too long.

@bloodattonement I've got Into The Breach on my list as more of a puzzle game than turn-based tactical strategy, but you're on the right path. Is there a sort of run-based, time travelling Final Fantasy Tactics style game?

I feel like Book Of Aliens could fit this description, but we know virtually nothing of it yet sadly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Teeman Pathways?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You should try Dungeons of Dredmor, get to pick multiple classes and can mix and match skills. Fun to make some broken builds

There are some decent mods as well through Workshop.

Dixon on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Let me set the stage for the climax of our Divinity II session tonight:

It's the aftermath of a pitched battle. Corpses, debris, and various fluids are smeared across the cavernous dungeon. Torchlight flickers across various, horrific iron devices which are bolted to the walls and swing from the ceiling.

In the center of the battlefield, a barrel has split, and greasy, flammable oil has flooded the floor, from wall to wall. In the the mire, coughing and spasming, an enemy casualty lays dying. He calls out for our help.

My character is a healer, and as I also have the origins Noble and Soldier, I feel like it's absolutely my obligation to answer his plea for mercy. I cast a restoration spell on him and, as he recovers, we get into a pretty interesting, and spoilery, conversation. The entire time I'm occupied with this man, my wife is running around, looting bodies, exploring the room, poking things, you name it. On my screen, as I'm talking to this dude, hearing about his woes and his tribulations, this little skeletal dwarf, glowing staff in hand, is scampering back and forth behind him, rummaging. She sees a candle on a table, unlit. This will not do, you see.

"Hey, remember to be careful about the-"

The entire room erupts into flames. We both start screaming. The wounded man, unperturbed, continues talking about a boat that will take us to the dunes. He is all the way on fire. My wife's dwarf casts rain on the room, and water starts pouring down from the ceiling, dousing the inferno, and us along with it. This guy, unflappable as a motherfucker, wraps up our chat in a cloud of steam so thick we can no longer see each other through it, and sends us on our way with a quest and a password.

Cheers, my guy.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

Slay the Spire.
    Griftlands
    Renowned Explorers
    Invisible Inc
    Road Not Taken
    Dungeons of Dreadmore
    Sproggiwood

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So, for those who played the original Kingdoms of Amalur, you might be interested to know that I can confirm the new version addresses two of the biggest complaints about it: level scaling and loot. Zone leveling is hugely improved now, and zones no longer level-lock forever when you first enter them. Each zone has a specific range of levels that can spawn (the range varies by your difficulty setting, which now includes a "very hard" option), but previously when you first entered a zone, whatever level you were at that moment locked that zone forever. Now it will continue to scale with you (up to its max level - the devs still want you to be able to have that feeling of badassery of being able to go back to earlier zones and wipe the floor with things you previously struggled with).

Loot is vastly improved. Previously, every container in a zone spawned its contents when you first entered the zone, so what you find is generally crap by the time you find it, and everything was random af. Now, containers generate loot when you open them, so stuff is level appropriate. And the loot tables are weighted to drop gear appropriate for your skill set. Sure, warriors still find robes and scepters, but not as often as swords, hammers, and heavy armor. And the old issue where you could go the whole game and never complete a set or find more than a handful of uniques? Yeah, not any more. Before I even finished the first zone around Gorhart I had 2/5 of a warrior armor set, two purple uniques, and a smattering of green and blue items. Items will even drop now that are higher level than you, so you have gear to look forward to.

What I'm saying is: this is KoA as it should have been in the first place. Two pixie wingtips up!

Also, the game is prettier now. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What stops you from running by everything all the way to the next quest?

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Dead Cells
    Spelunky
    Everspace
    FTL
    Risk of Rain

Off the top of my head

Slay the Spire.
    Griftlands
    Renowned Explorers
    Invisible Inc
    Road Not Taken
    Dungeons of Dreadmore
    Sproggiwood

Ohhh some good ones here, thanks for sharing @bedlam ! I had forgotten about Griftlands. I wish there was a whole new game of Renwoned Explorers with the exact same structure with just new explorers and locations. Loved all the DLC and would adore a very phoned in, slapped together sequel

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Let me set the stage for the climax of our Divinity II session tonight:

It's the aftermath of a pitched battle. Corpses, debris, and various fluids are smeared across the cavernous dungeon. Torchlight flickers across various, horrific iron devices which are bolted to the walls and swing from the ceiling.

In the center of the battlefield, a barrel has split, and greasy, flammable oil has flooded the floor, from wall to wall. In the the mire, coughing and spasming, an enemy casualty lays dying. He calls out for our help.

My character is a healer, and as I also have the origins Noble and Soldier, I feel like it's absolutely my obligation to answer his plea for mercy. I cast a restoration spell on him and, as he recovers, we get into a pretty interesting, and spoilery, conversation. The entire time I'm occupied with this man, my wife is running around, looting bodies, exploring the room, poking things, you name it. On my screen, as I'm talking to this dude, hearing about his woes and his tribulations, this little skeletal dwarf, glowing staff in hand, is scampering back and forth behind him, rummaging. She sees a candle on a table, unlit. This will not do, you see.

"Hey, remember to be careful about the-"

The entire room erupts into flames. We both start screaming. The wounded man, unperturbed, continues talking about a boat that will take us to the dunes. He is all the way on fire. My wife's dwarf casts rain on the room, and water starts pouring down from the ceiling, dousing the inferno, and us along with it. This guy, unflappable as a motherfucker, wraps up our chat in a cloud of steam so thick we can no longer see each other through it, and sends us on our way with a quest and a password.

Cheers, my guy.

I would watch this sitcom.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Question for Steam thread - I'm writing a list of games I want to focus on enjoying as, I'm sure we can all sympathise, I sometimes get flustered and discouraged due to the sheer scope of the hole I've dug for myself.

So with the exception of some early access games that I want to pip back in the oven until v1.0, a lot of what I'm writing are run-based roguelikes. Card ones, action ones and puzzlers. However I do really enjoy tactical turn-based strategy games like XCOM or Gears Tactics, but I can't think of one that's a run-based roguelike. The closest I can think of is WH40K Mechanicus and that's definitely on the list, but that's more about playing whole campaigns rather than short, digestible runs if you know what I mean. I think Battletech almost qualifies (especially the non-story campaign mode) but I think I want to leave that on the backburner a while longer before returning.

It just came out last week so I don't know a whole lot about it, but check out Star Renegades, made by the Halcyon 6 devs.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Have you given a look to Invisible Inc? Stealth-based tactical game with an explicit roguelike structure based on runs and randomized upgrades, some of which are unlocked for being found on future runs ala Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    @donnington I thought that game felt similar to Halcyon 6! I've played it the last few nights and while I don't think the hooks are in, I'm enjoying it for what it is. I wish the characters were able to express themselves more, like Renowned Explorers

@drascin not for quite a while now, I find the game is extremely stressful despite the excellent game design

@bloodattonement I heard nothing but 5 outta 10 things about pathways when it launched, has it been worked on a fair bit since hey?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, ok, so I made a mistake. I had an extra copy of Garfield Kart and looked at my friends list to see who doesn't have it. @Heatwave shows on my list so I innocently toss it his way.

Cue Metal Gear Solid ! sound effect.

green_envelope.jpg

I now am one with the green envelope, and the green envelope is with me.
    Thank you Heatwave for this gift of spotting the lasagna.

heatwave_gift.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Can someone explain how Puyo Puyo Tetris is supposed to work? How are two players play two very different puzzle games against each other be balanced? Especially since Puyo Puyo is the more complex one.

Its getting a sequel that I'd be interested in, if I could understand it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I’m pretty amazed at surge 2. Its just so damn much fun for a soulslike game.

The feel of combat is spot on, level design is very good, loot and crafting system is interesting, the parry system works well.

I am amazed this game isn’t much more famous than it is.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    bloodatonement I heard nothing but 5 outta 10 things about pathways when it launched, has it been worked on a fair bit since hey?

I don't know about launch, but when I played it a couple months back it was a solid. I'd give it <X-Play>4 Arc of the Covenants....out of 5</X-Play>

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Soooooo, someone went hard on a command and conquer 3 mod. The game is on steam

https://youtu.be/C7lZKxDsLMA

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Can someone explain how Puyo Puyo Tetris is supposed to work? How are two players play two very different puzzle games against each other be balanced? Especially since Puyo Puyo is the more complex one.

Its getting a sequel that I'd be interested in, if I could understand it.

Arguably they aren't? I remember seeing when it first came out that Tetris had a bit of an advantage since players only have to line up four rows at a time whereas Puyo requires screen-clearing combos and is thus more vulnerable to garbage spawns.

That said, I'm sure it's still super fun either way. I've been meaning to get good at either one... if I hadn't spent the last three months chest deep in PSO2. This robot fashion ain't gonna pick itself!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I’m pretty amazed at surge 2. Its just so damn much fun for a soulslike game.

The feel of combat is spot on, level design is very good, loot and crafting system is interesting, the parry system works well.

I am amazed this game isn’t much more famous than it is.

May have been due to Surge 1 just being decent.

The setup was fine but IIRC the area I stopped the enemies just suddenly were able to one shot you and felt totally unfair.

Thankfully they fixed all that and more in the sequel.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    @Corsini with an unprovoked sneak attack!

yqgkaltkrsz5.jpg

Thank you so much for Contradiction! <3

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.