Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Reopening the COVID units and disaster command center at my hospital. Standing by to stop scheduling elective surgery. Not going to do it until the governor makes us, I'm sure.

Oregon hit a record 805 cases reported Thursday, up from the previous record of around 605. Mr Toads wild ride begins Monday I predict.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I had a sore throat since Sunday, so I booked a test Tuesday at 7 pm, got the earliest test available on Wednesday at 4pm, and got the results yesterday (Thursday) at 7 pm.

Also negative.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hopefully they move fast on restrictions (they probably won't, I know). The Czech Republic has been burning up with this. The number of new cases has been getting lower, but it is not even remotely close to dropping down to a level where things are going to get fugly.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I just left work because the person I was sitting next to, granted between plexiglass, just got the call his wife tested positive.

We both had masks on all morning, and stayed with the plexiglass divider between us with the exception of one time he leaned into show me something on his phone for a total of like a minute. We wandered in and out of the room so I’d say total we spent 3 hours together in there.

My wife is in a very high risk category so I am completely freaking the fuck out right now.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if we're going to see a big jump in coronavirus cases as a result of election day

More than we could ever really know with the way cases are currently going up, but with shit like this it's definitely going to increase the coronavirus cases

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/06/covid-missouri-poll-worker-died-election/
    Less than a week before Election Day, an election judge supervisor in Missouri who was scheduled to work the polls got her coronavirus test results. She was positive, a private lab told her on Oct. 30, which meant she had to isolate for two weeks.

Instead, the unidentified St. Charles County, Mo., resident showed up and worked the polls on Tuesday. She died soon afterward, the St. Charles County Department of Public Health revealed Thursday.

As of late Thursday evening, the woman’s exact time and cause of death was not known, Mary Enger, a spokeswoman for St. Charles County, told The Washington Post. Authorities have not made the woman’s identity public.

Nearly 2,000 voters cast ballots on Election Day at the Blanchette Park Memorial Hall polling site where the woman worked, but it’s unclear whether any voter might have had direct contact with her.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Just got our test results back, me and kid just have regular-old colds. I was pretty sure, but still nice to have it confirmed.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I wonder if we're going to see a big jump in coronavirus cases as a result of election day

More than we could ever really know with the way cases are currently going up, but with shit like this it's definitely going to increase the coronavirus cases

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/06/covid-missouri-poll-worker-died-election/
    Less than a week before Election Day, an election judge supervisor in Missouri who was scheduled to work the polls got her coronavirus test results. She was positive, a private lab told her on Oct. 30, which meant she had to isolate for two weeks.

Instead, the unidentified St. Charles County, Mo., resident showed up and worked the polls on Tuesday. She died soon afterward, the St. Charles County Department of Public Health revealed Thursday.

As of late Thursday evening, the woman’s exact time and cause of death was not known, Mary Enger, a spokeswoman for St. Charles County, told The Washington Post. Authorities have not made the woman’s identity public.

Nearly 2,000 voters cast ballots on Election Day at the Blanchette Park Memorial Hall polling site where the woman worked, but it’s unclear whether any voter might have had direct contact with her.

Isn't that really fucking fast for COVID?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Isn't that really fucking fast for COVID?

Not really. If she got results on Friday, she probable got tested around Wednesday, and most likely got the test for being symptomatic, which means she could have been infected about a week earlier than that. And she died about a week after getting the test done.

Now I wouldn't expect a person to be well functioning if they were sick for a week already with the typical lung issues to be that near death, but they also didn't specify cause of death. It could be she had nothing more than a mild dizzy spell from lower oxygen levels and fell and died rather than suffocating in bed from pneumonia.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fucking Oregon putting out the lamest of restrictions for counties with high case counts. A "Wake up call" that will do just about nothing to help and just annoy people. Lock down or don't, and stop with the dumb half measures.

Per the Article:
    "Included within the pause are a variety of measures — halting indoor visits to long-term care facilities; instituting a 50-person maximum capacity in restaurants, including both patrons and staff, and reducing restaurant party sizes to a maximum of six. Outdoor dining and takeout are strongly encouraged.

There will also be a 50-person capacity for recreational venues like gyms, fitness centers, and museums -- however, this does not extend to faith-based gatherings"

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    My wife told me yesterday that her friend at work's son tested positive.

Wednesday night, she was complaining to my wife because her ex-husband had taken the son to get tested because he wasn't well and she thought it was unnecessary.

We had both agreed before we found out the result, that the ex-husband was in the right here. If the test hadn't happened, then this person, a teacher no less (there are no bubbles at this school), would have come in to work with her new partner and most likely infected everyone.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    It keeps getting worse. And I doubt it's about to slow down any time soon.

I also doubt anyone's actually going to DO anything about it.

NBC News confirms: At least 122,365 new coronavirus cases have been reported today in the U.S., eclipsing yesterday's previous single-day record.

This marks the third day in a row that the U.S. has reported over 100,000 new COVID cases.

Kyle Griffin works for MSNBC.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    It keeps getting worse. And I doubt it's about to slow down any time soon.

I also doubt anyone's actually going to DO anything about it.

NBC News confirms: At least 122,365 new coronavirus cases have been reported today in the U.S., eclipsing yesterday's previous single-day record.

This marks the third day in a row that the U.S. has reported over 100,000 new COVID cases.

Kyle Griffin works for MSNBC.

But doing things is hard. Between the Election, Thanksgiving and Christmas/New year's we're totally fucked. I just don't see anyway we're going to avoid the coming iceberg of cases. Biden's going to step into the middle of a trainwreck and a 5 alarm fire.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michigan did get back under 4k after a ridiculous day at 5700. So maybe that was a test backlog or something.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Worldometers is showing a final count of 132,540 new cases for the day just ended (GMT I believe) which is absolutely staggering. Also 1,248 deaths which is appalling. I cannot imagine out medical system has the capacity to handle this sort of case load, so we're in for a very rough time. Best of luck everybody, wash your hands often and wear a mask regularly and do your best.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Mark Meadows joins the number of White House staffers with covid.

He was in attendance at the WH election night party. Unmasked and mingling, of course. Helpfully spreading the virus all over the place.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Mark Meadows joins the number of White House staffers with covid.

He was in attendance at the WH election night party. Unmasked and mingling, of course. Helpfully spreading the virus all over the place.

NEWS: Along with Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, at least FOUR other White House aides currently have coronavirus, per sources.

Pains were taken to keep Meadows’ illness a secret, I’m told. And people around him who knew were told to keep quiet.

Jennifer J Jacobs is a Senior White House Reporter for Bloomberg News.

It's depressing how utterly incompetent they are.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Worldometers is showing a final count of 132,540 new cases for the day just ended (GMT I believe) which is absolutely staggering. Also 1,248 deaths which is appalling. I cannot imagine out medical system has the capacity to handle this sort of case load, so we're in for a very rough time. Best of luck everybody, wash your hands often and wear a mask regularly and do your best.

I think we'll be able to handle a lot more. Before, the large case loads were focused in big cities. Now we're spreading it over EVERYWHERE. So this round should give us higher hospital capacity than last time.

The speed at which our daily cases are going up is really crazy though. I hope it levels off at some point soon.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »

I think we'll be able to handle a lot more. Before, the large case loads were focused in big cities. Now we're spreading it over EVERYWHERE. So this round should give us higher hospital capacity than last time.

The speed at which our daily cases are going up is really crazy though. I hope it levels off at some point soon.

It is an exponential curve. They do the opposite of that.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Fortunately, the exponent of growth still seems to be clinging close to 1. So it wouldn't take *that* much behavior change to get it back down again. We just have to ... well I guess do all the things we should have been doing but haven't. Shit.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Fortunately, the exponent of growth still seems to be clinging close to 1. So it wouldn't take *that* much behavior change to get it back down again. We just have to ... well I guess do all the things we should have been doing but haven't. Shit.

It still comes down to getting people to stay away from each other.

The MAGA death cult won’t do it and everyone else needs money for food, housing, and other bills, so they have to work, send kids to school, etc. Trump gives less than a flying fuck than before, so there’s no relief in sight until next year. That’s not even counting McConnell if he retains majority leader, which is likely.

This is not going to end well.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

It still comes down to getting people to stay away from each other.

The MAGA death cult won’t do it and everyone else needs money for food, housing, and other bills, so they have to work, send kids to school, etc. Trump gives less than a flying fuck than before, so there’s no relief in sight until next year. That’s not even counting McConnell if he retains majority leader, which is likely.

This is not going to end well.

That's why the media need to make sure that even if Biden is finally declared President (come on, Jack!), that this REMAINS on Trump through at least January 20th.

If the media allow the public to believe a "Obama was responsible for Katrina", I will go full Luddite with regards tearing down the printing presses and transmission towers.

This is Trump's fault, he needs to be blamed, it needs to be pointed out he's failed, failed hard, and fuck him very much.

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

• Options

Frankly the fact that the virus is running rampant in areas that are not big cities is extremely concerning. I live in a pretty rural area, and we've been lucky so far, but we only have like 25 ICU beds in a county of 100,000 people. I would be surprised if we had more than 3 respirators available. Rural areas have very poor hospital coverage most of the time, because anything serious you go to the big city for. Rural hospitals are going to get overloaded way faster than city hospitals, and will have to either send people home or send them to city hospitals, which has a whole host of issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

It will start to level off about a week to two weeks after we start doing something about it.

So probably sometime around February 1st...

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The health system my wife works for is estimating that they reach max capacity by the second week of December, given current trends.

Max capacity including the re-opening of the extra, overflow ICUs that they converted other units into at the previous peak.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    x

Frankly the fact that the virus is running rampant in areas that are not big cities is extremely concerning. I live in a pretty rural area, and we've been lucky so far, but we only have like 25 ICU beds in a county of 100,000 people. I would be surprised if we had more than 3 respirators available. Rural areas have very poor hospital coverage most of the time, because anything serious you go to the big city for. Rural hospitals are going to get overloaded way faster than city hospitals, and will have to either send people home or send them to city hospitals, which has a whole host of issues.

I do wonder if rural areas have less ICU beds per capita though.

Another difficulty rural areas have is that on average they have older and sicker residents, so their hospitalization rates will run higher.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    x

Another difficulty rural areas have is that on average they have older and sicker residents, so their hospitalization rates will run higher.

Some areas have 0 ICU beds, and send them to the nearest urban area. So yeah. there are places with fewer ICU per capita.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    You know, I think superspreader events are just the price we pay for our culture

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    You know, I think superspreader events are just the price we pay for our culture
    Humans are social animals with a poor grasp of their own mortality.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

This has all been down to poor governance, unless you think the countries that controlled the virus are populated by aliens.

We attribute way too much to “culture” when the difference is down to who is in charge of policy and messaging.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Our culture of toxic masculinity and anti-science and such? If so, I agree, but I'd also like to just get rid of that culture and then not have to pay the price.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

This has all been down to poor governance, unless you think the countries that controlled the virus are populated by aliens.

We attribute way too much to “culture” when the difference is down to who is in charge of policy and messaging.

I'm looking at footage of people packed together in large public crowds right now. It's fine.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    x

Some areas have 0 ICU beds, and send them to the nearest urban area. So yeah. there are places with fewer ICU per capita.

I actually dug more into the situation here. We have two hospitals in the county, and the larger of the two does not have a Medical Surgical ICU nor a Cardiac ICU, while the smaller one does have a Medical Surgical ICU but not a Cardiac ICU, so 25 ICU beds is almost certainly over estimating the actual total. I guess all the serious cases just go down the road to a larger city that does actually have some good hospitals about a 45 minute drive away. If there is a serious outbreak here, we are just completely hosed. We have had 7 covid deaths in the county so far, 2 of them over the past 2 days, and something like 100 new cases a day recently, so we might be in trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    There's a ton of work to do if we ever want to get this thing under control here in the US. It's an uphill battle just on the biology side of things, nevermind logistics, or the crazy-factor we're up against.

But goddamn I'm happy there's finally going to be an adult in the room, eventually. It'll be a long wait, but there's at least a glimmer of hope.

Scoop: Biden announcing COVID task force on Monday

Jim VandeHei is from Axios

From the article:
    Joe Biden plans Monday to name a 12-member task force to combat and contain the spread of the coronavirus, sources tell Axios.

Why it matters: By announcing a COVID task force even before unveiling his senior White House staff or a single cabinet appointment, Biden is signaling that addressing the coronavirus will be the immediate priority for his transition, and then his potential administration.
    The picture: The task force will be led by three co-chairs: former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner David Kessler and Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith from Yale University.

Imagine that - Actual scientists, and not grifting CEOs.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    There's a ton of work to do if we ever want to get this thing under control here in the US. It's an uphill battle just on the biology side of things, nevermind logistics, or the crazy-factor we're up against.

But goddamn I'm happy there's finally going to be an adult in the room, eventually. It'll be a long wait, but there's at least a glimmer of hope.

From the article:
    Joe Biden plans Monday to name a 12-member task force to combat and contain the spread of the coronavirus, sources tell Axios.

Why it matters: By announcing a COVID task force even before unveiling his senior White House staff or a single cabinet appointment, Biden is signaling that addressing the coronavirus will be the immediate priority for his transition, and then his potential administration.
    The picture: The task force will be led by three co-chairs: former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner David Kessler and Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith from Yale University.

I genuinely hope it starts issuing guidance, voluntary compliance rules for states, and asks the state level agencies to start sending it data. Ask for donations to fund it, we must be able to raise a few hundred million.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

From the article:

But.. but how will they extract maximum value from the people? Leaving money on the table there.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ummm, Joe, we already have a Covid task force. A whole bunch of them already got Covid too. We’re good.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I would love for the task force to announce some cohesive strategies, and then see some states voluntarily implementing some of those plans without waiting for Jan 20.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Ummm, Joe, we already have a Covid task force. A whole bunch of them already got Covid too. We’re good.

I think the idea is to staff this one with people who know things rather than people who say what Trump wants.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I would love for the task force to announce some cohesive strategies, and then see some states voluntarily implementing some of those plans without waiting for Jan 20.

I suspect all states that would voluntarily do so already are.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.