As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USPS: Ideally nothing stops the mail, including garbage fascists

MillMill Registered User regular
edited August 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Figured I'd start a new thread. Not really an issue that it's dominating the voting rights & suppression thread, but it's kind of a disservice to only focus on how the fuckery at the post office is likely to cause problems with the vote this fall, even though voting is very importing. Thing is people also rely on the mail for other critical things outside of voting and some of that stuff is year round. There are people relying on the post office to gets basic supplies like food and clothing because they are in a rural area or want to minimize their risk of getting covid. Then there is the shear number of people that are reliant on the mail to delivery critical medications and this is the big reason why I'm starting this thread. I mentioned I the voter rights thread that this shit was likely to get people killed because of delayed medications, but it slipped my mind that there are also, who might not die, but will suffer. They aren't getting their medications to treat a whole host of conditions that negatively impact their lives.

For example. Tom Perriello's mother, who is 78 hasn't gotten her eyedrops, to protect against low pressure glaucoma, for 23 days. I also doubt she is the only individual that is dealing with this BS and there are probably hundreds.

A quick rundown of what's going on. Republicans in power are idiots that dislike anything that isn't lining their pockets the expense of the poor. This pretty much explains why they've been trying to kill the USPS despite a number of their constituents having no issues with it. Granted since they are idiots they don't get that the USPS exists because the services it offers are things that private business won't just pick up. There are a ton of places far removed form urbanization where it's not profitable to run delivery to on a affordable price tag. If private business did try to pick up things they'd jack up the price to a point where people wouldn't be able to afford it and BTW this is just dealing with trying to have reasonable profits, so it'll be worse with asshole douchebag moneybags gets involved and feels he's entitled to gangbuster profits every quarter. Anyways, this is why they did the ran of BS of requiring the USPS to fund pensions 75 years out, pretty much their is someone that hasn't been conceived yet, whose parents probably haven't even met, that will decide the want to work for the USPS someday even though they don't exist yet and will probably then live about two decades before deciding to work for the USPS. It' pretty fucking absurd, this is also probably an attempt to make pension look like a bad idea, even though no one requires pension prefunding for that long. Recently, the USPS has gotten a board of governors, appointed by Trump, that seems mostly interested in killing the USPS. They then selected some jackass mega donor for the GOP named Louis DeJoy as the USPS Postmaster General.

DeJoy is also an asshole that doesn't give a shit about serving the people and probably shouldn't have been allowed to fill the post given that he has a conflict of interest because of his financial ties to various competitors of the USPS. The asshole things he is being smart with the sabotage because a number of things going on would seem legitimated, except for the fact that a smart business person wouldn't likely do them during the election cycle, that happens to coincide with a worldwide pandemic. Then there are other areas where the handling is incompetent. Point in case, removing sorting machines, which would seem legitimate because they can't handle all the packages coming in, since they were made for sorting letters. Problem is, again the timing, election season during a pandemic, then there is also the fact that they don't seem to have the new sorting machines on hand for sorting packages. Proper business approach would be to minimize disruptions, which this isn't doing.

Plus, we seem to have had some illegal action taken. This was the removal of USPS mailboxes. Problem is there is a whole process they have to. Give advance noticed and allow public input, this didn't happen. They've ceased the removal of said mailboxes now that people have called them out on this shit. There are calls for a DoJ probe into the current activities. Also there is cases of post offices putting up notices saying they will be closing; however, much like the mailbox thing, they can't do without going through a formal process. One such incident has managed to catch Senator Warner's attention, when he wrote the USPS Postmaster General, asking what's going on. Fun, fact if you read the letter the Senator's office did contact them before Warner sent this message and were told those postings were in error. Now given the fiasco with the unannounced removal of USPS mailboxes, the cynic in me believes they likely would have closed those locations without following the letter of the law, but backed the fuck out when a sitting US Senator's office called up and was like "you're doing what now?"

Anyways, since I'm making a thread about the USPS, might as well also mention that Biden would like to expand their services to include basic banking services. So some positive news to talk about, in light of all the bullshit going on involving the service.

On topic:
The obvious fuckery with the USPS. This is includes election stuff, unless the mods want it elsewhere. Also includes the problems it causes for people that use it to get medicine and other items delivered to them.
Also includes democratic plans to expands their services to cover some basic banking services. I mean, if we have a thread for the USPS, might as well cover that stuff to. If Biden wins and the democrats take the Senate and retain the House, we'll probably be talking about it anyways.
I hope things are resolved in a way that allows me to change the thread title to "USPS, Nothing Stops the Mail, Not Even Fascists, They Tried & Failed."

Mill on

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    GOP 2020: Better To Rule in Hell

What do they think is going to happen when UPS and FedEx can't use USPS for local deliveries?

...for that matter, has UPS or FedEx said anything about the escalated meddling with USPS?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for creating this thread.

Is my favorite cause of USPS expanding to do check cashing and small banking services on topic, or are we just dealing with the current round of fuckery?

Cause either way works.

Edit - nm, apparently my favorite cause is on topic. Kill check cashing and money orders by having the post office take it over.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Both the fuckery and expanding their services to include basic banking services are fine.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Personal anecdote: we have not had a mail delivery in our subdivision since Monday. We're near the end of the route, and one of DeJoy's rules is 0 overtime - if you're not done it doesn't get done. Apparently locally they aren't picking up routes where they left off but starting from the front every day, so late day deliveries are getting fucked over.

Our insurance also requires use of ExpressScripts. A lot of insurances require mail order pharmacies. The two biggest prescription drug providers in the US are mail order, and multiple major insulin and diabetic suppliers are mail order.

The short version: this will have a body count, likely starting within the next week.

Hevach on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Couple members of the House, representing Nashville and the Minneapolis suburbs are calling for immediately reconvening the House, staging hearings, and arresting DeJoy themselves if he refuses to appear. Neither of them are what you would call partisan firebrands.

Joe Manchin is also pissed on the Senate side. Though Warren (of course) was the one who triggered the IG investigation.

EDIT: Something approaching leadership also on it:

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "The House must demand answers," even though Trump already flatly said what this is already about. We have the answers already. We don't need to figure out why anymore. We're already on the next step; how do we stop this and how do we repair the damage done?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I’m willing to bet that probably 99% of people didn’t have the faintest clue about this. I had no idea until I saw this earlier.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Marathon wrote: »

I’m willing to bet that probably 99% of people didn’t have the faintest clue about this. I had no idea until I saw this earlier.

My father worked for the USPS for decades and I didn’t know this.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

My father worked for the USPS for decades and I didn’t know this.

I do a lot of business through eBay one of the postal clerks told me.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "The House must demand answers," even though Trump already flatly said what this is already about. We have the answers already. We don't need to figure out why anymore. We're already on the next step; how do we stop this and how do we repair the damage done?

This is how. "The House demands answers" is basically what they can do. Launch investigations and hearings and shit.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Just think about how many pieces of mail, especially junk mail, most people get each day versus how many packages they receive.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Just think about how many pieces of mail, especially junk mail, most people get each day versus how many packages they receive.

Also, how do those numbers count mail delivered "last mile" by USPS?

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    My hope here is that the political pressure is way too intense for them to keep this up. Destroying the postal service in order to steal the election is deeply stupid, and besides damaging the entire country, probably also hurts GOP voters more than it does Democratic ones. Doing so may serve Trump's short term personal goals, but that's about it. Who knows, though. The cynical position regarding Republicans and their base hasn't been wrong yet, and maybe it won't be here either.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The House has announced the hearing for the 24th. Apparently they don't need to actually be in session to call one?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    GOP 2020: Better To Rule in Hell

What do they think is going to happen when UPS and FedEx can't use USPS for local deliveries?

...for that matter, has UPS or FedEx said anything about the escalated meddling with USPS?

ruining Christmas comes after the election.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Not to cross contaminate this too hard with the election thread, but Campaigning to restore a constitutionally mandated government service to full operation would be the easiest thing for the democrats to do right now, particularly since getting it to where it needs to be would just require them to ammend the law that limits their price fixing and retirement fees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL8g0W9gAQ

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Louis DeJoy lives in a DC condo on Connecticut Avenue. It's easily identifiable due to the large continuous protest outside of it.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    shryke wrote: »

This is how. "The House demands answers" is basically what they can do. Launch investigations and hearings and shit.

Which amounts to nothing essentially. There are two ways to remove a Postmaster General - through the Board of Governors or impeachment/removal in the House/Senate. The Board of Governors is supposed to be 9 governors with 7 year terms appointed by the President, mo more than 5 of which can be of a political party plus the Ppstmaster General and Deputy Postmaster General, named by the Board.

Holds were put on all of Obama's appointees from a Senator on the left because a minority were Republican (as the statute requires and as a GOP Senate would certainly require) and some were perceived to be insufficiently hostile to somerhing resembling privatization (such as having a counter in the non-union store Staples that could sell stamps and mail packages). "Better no board than a bad board" was the sentiment.

So now we have a bad board named entirely by Trump that will control the USPS barring legislation until at least 2022.

So we can potentially politically damage Trump but legally Democrats don't have the power to do anything except maybe hold the Postmaster General in contempt of Congress

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How unamerican do you have to be to wabt to shut down the post office? Hell, kevin costner made a shitty movie about how the mail must keep running.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    How unamerican do you have to be to wabt to shut down the post office? Hell, kevin costner made a shitty movie about how the mail must keep running.

You hate government doing things and/or you look at government doing things and think it would be better if you were doing those things so you could be a middle-man and make a bunch of money doing it instead.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

You hate government doing things and/or you look at government doing things and think it would be better if you were doing those things so you could be a middle-man and make a bunch of money doing it instead.

Also you’re constantly beaming garbage into your face holes that turn your brains into worms

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    My hope here is that the political pressure is way too intense for them to keep this up. Destroying the postal service in order to steal the election is deeply stupid, and besides damaging the entire country, probably also hurts GOP voters more than it does Democratic ones. Doing so may serve Trump's short term personal goals, but that's about it. Who knows, though. The cynical position regarding Republicans and their base hasn't been wrong yet, and maybe it won't be here either.

Is it deeply stupid if it works? The GOP damaging the country to benefit the party has been the play for years now. And while it will surely hurt some GOP voters (as all previous vote rigging measures the GOP have taken do to an extent) surveys have shown a pretty big partisan split favoring democratic use of mail-in ballots this year. Honestly I hope people aren't expecting this to be the worst of it -- this is just the beginning.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

When it's not being fucked with, the USPS is one of the examples of Government working correctly. As a party who's modus operandi is that the government can't accomplish anything and everything should be done by private businesses, a successful USPS exists as a giant example of how you're completely wrong.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I work at the bookstore for a community college that did the smart thing and decided that all classes are to be done online and via streaming.

Still, even all online students need the books the instructor requested, as well as physical access cards for online material because that's a thing.

The majority of these are getting shipped, and the majority of those are being shipped via UPS Surepost, which basically means UPS takes the packages to the post office closest to the delivery address and USPS takes over for the last mile. And classes start this week.

I'm starting to dread how many people are going to be calling because their material isn't there for the first day of class, as "because Trump doesn't want you to vote via mail" doesn't really cut it for someone who's looking at the prospect of having to drop a class they spent money or jumped through hoops to secure aid for.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »

Is it deeply stupid if it works? The GOP damaging the country to benefit the party has been the play for years now. And while it will surely hurt some GOP voters (as all previous vote rigging measures the GOP have taken do to an extent) surveys have shown a pretty big partisan split favoring democratic use of mail-in ballots this year. Honestly I hope people aren't expecting this to be the worst of it -- this is just the beginning.

It's liable to piss off a ton of republicans, even if they buy Trump's horseshit on absentee voting. Thing is there are a ton of citizens and residents that use the mail for more than just sending in an absentee ballot. I imagine even a super rightwing troll, will be pissed at the GOP when his favorite gran-gran ends up in the hospital because she didn't get her medication in time; especially, if she was getting it through the mail for some time without issue. Hell, DeJoy's rule on overtime and how undelivered mail is probably going to fuck over more republicans in the sticks than it fucks democratic voters in the city.

The fuckery with the vote is getting the most attention right now, but that's probably going to change when undelivered medications result in a body count and hospitalizations. This is probably going to be the thing, if anything, that forces the GOP to stop the fuckery.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Louis DeJoy lives in a DC condo on Connecticut Avenue. It's easily identifiable due to the large continuous protest outside of it.

I fucking love DC so much. I thought it'd be Baltimore or New York but DC is the absolute best.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Pelosi calls House lawmakers back to vote on post office legislation
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called House lawmakers to Washington Sunday to try to prevent Postal Service changes Democrats fear could make it harder for millions of Americans to cast mail ballots in November.

The move comes as Democrats warn that changes implemented by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a former Republican National Convention finance chairman, could wreak havoc during the election in which a record number of people are likely to vote by mail because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

The House previously wasn’t scheduled to return until September.

Democrats also warn that slowed postal delivery is delaying prescription medicines mailed to veterans and Social Security checks for the elderly.

“Alarmingly, across the nation, we see the devastating effects of the president’s campaign to sabotage the election by manipulating the Postal Service to disenfranchise voters,” Pelosi said in a letter to colleagues.

She warned that the “lives, livelihoods and the life of our American democracy are under threat.”

Pelosi wants the chamber to vote on a bill sponsored by House Oversight Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) that would require the Postal Service to keep up its current delivery standards until the end of the year.

So they are working on it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can anyone confirm the validity of the photo within this tweet? It is supposedly out of Burbank, CA, showing a row of mail boxes locked up and inaccessible to leave anything in.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That picture isn't very good but it doesn't look like those are even bolted down? And they all look shiny new. And four boxes in one place would be somewhat overkill.

I'm guessing those got dropped off there to be staged and picked up by someone else later.

E: ok in the replies there is another picture and there are bolted in place, so that theory's out.
    There are also people saying that this was a pre-existing practice (locked after-hours) for these boxes which have been subject to vandalism. 🤷‍♀️

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Pelosi calls House lawmakers back to vote on post office legislation
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called House lawmakers to Washington Sunday to try to prevent Postal Service changes Democrats fear could make it harder for millions of Americans to cast mail ballots in November.

The move comes as Democrats warn that changes implemented by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a former Republican National Convention finance chairman, could wreak havoc during the election in which a record number of people are likely to vote by mail because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

The House previously wasn’t scheduled to return until September.

Democrats also warn that slowed postal delivery is delaying prescription medicines mailed to veterans and Social Security checks for the elderly.

“Alarmingly, across the nation, we see the devastating effects of the president’s campaign to sabotage the election by manipulating the Postal Service to disenfranchise voters,” Pelosi said in a letter to colleagues.

She warned that the “lives, livelihoods and the life of our American democracy are under threat.”

Pelosi wants the chamber to vote on a bill sponsored by House Oversight Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) that would require the Postal Service to keep up its current delivery standards until the end of the year.

So they are working on it.

Wait, he was a finance Chairman for the RNC? Did he work with Cohen?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Who is this Rex Chapman?

• Options
    The only confirmed thing I saw in the news today about the USPS is that Mark Meadows, the WH chief of staff, said that between now (today) and election day no more mail sorting machines will be removed.

Now what he says and what the result is, that's up in the air. I have no reason to believe him though.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Has USPS, FedEx, or other shipping companies (does DHL deliver anything directly to residential addresses, or is it all USPS last mile delivery?) made statements about the fuckery?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    How the fuck, has Bezos not yet tell DeJoy, "Get the fuck outta my Boardroom, NOW?"shit yet?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Has USPS, FedEx, or other shipping companies (does DHL deliver anything directly to residential addresses, or is it all USPS last mile delivery?) made statements about the fuckery?

Checked the Twitter feeds for all 3 companies, and didn't see anything obvious.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Who is this Rex Chapman?

Former star college basketball player turned accidental social media influencer

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Can anyone confirm the validity of the photo within this tweet? It is supposedly out of Burbank, CA, showing a row of mail boxes locked up and inaccessible to leave anything in.

Can't make a definitive confirmation, but there are multiple people on Twitter sharing similar, but different, photos:

All over Los Angeles, post office boxes have been locked along with the office lobbies. I’m shocked, and have asked @/RepAdamSchiff to help. This isn’t a drill.

From Seattle, WA. The Postmaster bowed to pressure and said no more mailboxes would be removed. But now they've done this instead. - This lock is obviously specifically designed for a mailbox. It wouldn't fit anything else. How long has this plot been underway??

Ok, here in Seattle, the mailboxes are still in place, but there are now LOCKS on them! You can't put your mail in them anymore! WTF?

There was a lock on the mailbox in front of my local post office on Capitol Hill in Seattle Washington. I wonder if this is a prelude to having the mailbox removed? By the way Capitol Hill votes democratic.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful that election is still 80 days out and they played their hand on USPS too early.

Part of me is terrified this is just a distraction, or not but our counter ends up being futile.

I'm really feeling Cassandra-ish but I'm not gonna begin to relax until 12:01 on 1/20/21. At the earliest.

• Options
    I was just now coming to the thread with more photos of lock mechanisms being placed on mailboxes in multiple cities.

What the FUCK.