As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Catholics + mainline protestant Christians combined still outnumber white evangelicals, or at least the numbers are pretty close. It's just that, even though they still lean Democratic as a combined group, neither Catholics nor mainline protestants are a monolith and there are plenty of Republican voters in their ranks.

My main takeaway is that like most religions white evangelicals aren't representative of a majority, they're just louder and more obnoxious.

In my experience growing up Catholic, most Catholics know fuck all about Evangelicals either. It wasn't until my brother started dating one when he was in high school that we learned just how different their religion is.

In The Wordy Shipmates, Sarah Vowell contrasts modern protestantism with the version the Puritans practiced by pointing out that "the Bible belt" would be more accurately called "the personal relationship with Jesus Christ Belt."

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Alaska is also an outlier among red states because it had a governor who was in hot water and staring down a recall, and despite modeling himself on Trump (to the point of changing his letterhead to include a "J" for his middle name), figured out he could score major kudos if he actually took the coronavirus seriously and pushed for a quarantine very early on, before the virus really had taken foot. At some point he got cold feet, relaxed restrictions and now it's starting to pop up in bigger and bigger numbers, but we had the benefit of at least putting the brakes on it for awhile.

Also Anchorages (The largest city) Mayor berkowitz, is keeping a decent hunker down mandate going, despite very little support from the state gov. Now, idiots don't seem to be following it too closely (they were conga lining at the library for...reasons) but theres still some effort. And of course our mayor is a Dem.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Catholics + mainline protestant Christians combined still outnumber white evangelicals, or at least the numbers are pretty close. It's just that, even though they still lean Democratic as a combined group, neither Catholics nor mainline protestants are a monolith and there are plenty of Republican voters in their ranks.

My main takeaway is that like most religions white evangelicals aren't representative of a majority, they're just louder and more obnoxious.

In my experience growing up Catholic, most Catholics know fuck all about Evangelicals either. It wasn't until my brother started dating one when he was in high school that we learned just how different their religion is.

In The Wordy Shipmates, Sarah Vowell contrasts modern protestantism with the version the Puritans practiced by pointing out that "the Bible belt" would be more accurately called "the personal relationship with Jesus Christ Belt."

The easier title is “Rebranded Segregationists”

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

Everyone overlooks that a big chunk of early American culture was created by people who got kicked out of England for thinking Cromwell wasn't enough of an asshole.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yeah, it's like a whole other weird fucking world.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, Catholicism is weird too it just didn't feel that way to me because I grew up in it. It took 50 years for Leah Remini to realize Scientology was weird because she grew up in it.

What I guess I was getting at is Catholic Republicans tend to think all other Christians share their basic values so are comfortable voting with the religious right but if they actually knew anything about Evangelicals they'd probably feel a lot differently about them as candidates.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Evangelical is a broad spectrum, I have been in evangelical churches that seemed like just rebranded presbyterians and I’ve been in ones where I wouldn’t have been surprised if someone walked out with a cage full of snakes.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Evangelical is a broad spectrum, I have been in evangelical churches that seemed like just rebranded presbyterians and I’ve been in ones where I wouldn’t have been surprised if someone walked out with a cage full of snakes.

The differences can be within the same denomination even. Northern city Methodist churches are really really different than rural southern Methodist churches.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Don't get me wrong, Catholicism is weird too it just didn't feel that way to me because I grew up in it. It took 50 years for Leah Remini to realize Scientology was weird because she grew up in it.

What I guess I was getting at is Catholic Republicans tend to think all other Christians share their basic values so are comfortable voting with the religious right but if they actually knew anything about Evangelicals they'd probably feel a lot differently about them as candidates.

Catholics were #3 on the Klan's list, just behind Blacks and Jews. Which, in a weird way, makes the current contest ring some similar bells to 1928 as well as '32.

moniker on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

The differences can be within the same denomination even. Northern city Methodist churches are really really different than rural southern Methodist churches.

Shit, my hometown had both hippy-dippy Methodists and "I still don't cotton to dancing and card playing" Methodists. There's a lot of play there.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My favorite anecdote to bring out regarding the relationship between Catholics and evangelicals is the time I had a legit argument with my southern Baptist deacon stepfather about whether Catholics were Christians (He thought they weren't).

I didn't meet my first Catholic until I had a coworker who was practicing, she didn't appreciate me calling her a papist. I didn't know any better, that's just what we called them.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’ve heard various versions of that, ranging from “only protestants are Christians” to “only evangelicals are Christians” to “only charismatic evangelics are Christians”

*shrug*

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    University of Georgia has decided COVID makes it too dangerous for there to be an in-person voting location on campus. Not too dangerous for football, though!

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular

Especially since most evangelicals think Catholics are at best not True Christians and at worst are the Whore of Babylon.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    University of Georgia has decided COVID makes it too dangerous for there to be an in-person voting location on campus. Not too dangerous for football, though!

Equally insulting "they can take a shuttle to the voting location" ahh yes the completely safe way of traveling during covid packing a shuttle bus with kids.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Equally insulting "they can take a shuttle to the voting location" ahh yes the completely safe way of traveling during covid packing a shuttle bus with kids.

Taking a shuttle to stand in line with all the people they would be standing in line on campus with plus others from the community. Yeah that makes sense.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Why not set up a polling place on the football field. Since it prevents covid from being able to be transmitted.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Why not set up a polling place on the football field. Since it prevents covid from being able to be transmitted.

Because this might surprise you, they don't want those people voting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Yeah, the football will be outside line, got me wondering why we don't set up outdoor poling locations (weather permitting).

• Options
    AnsagoAnsago Formerly QuarterMaster Registered User regular

Looks like this was walked back pretty quickly after all the pushback

Tweet is the UGA account saying oops, I guess people can vote in the stadium.

• Options
    Yeah, the football will be outside line, got me wondering why we don't set up outdoor poling locations (weather permitting).

Weather can change pretty quickly in a day. Especially in the midwest. Especially in November. How much faith are you going to have in soggy ballots being read correctly?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Ansago wrote: »

Looks like this was walked back pretty quickly after all the pushback

Tweet is the UGA account saying oops, I guess people can vote in the stadium.

Stegman is the basketball arena, so indoors

Sanford is the stadium

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    moniker wrote: »

Weather can change pretty quickly in a day. Especially in the midwest. Especially in November. How much faith are you going to have in soggy ballots being read correctly?

Georgia is not Midwest.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Tents?
    Tents.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Tents?
    Tents.

it's in the basketball arena either way.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

"HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania Supreme Court sides with Democrats, extends mail-in ballot deadlines to three days after Election Day."

Gonna assume that still requires postmark on/before election day, and just allows delivery of said ballots after, to accomodate for mail movements?

Cause else I can see the Republicans having a shitfit (which they'll do regardless), but it being actually justified this one time.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Georgia is not Midwest.

I assumed this was meant in regards to the election going on during a global pandemic, not the polling places at the University of Georgia in particular.

• Options

Tents?
    Tents.

Have you ever worked a farmer's market?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

"HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania Supreme Court sides with Democrats, extends mail-in ballot deadlines to three days after Election Day."

Gonna assume that still requires postmark on/before election day, and just allows delivery of said ballots after, to accomodate for mail movements?

Cause else I can see the Republicans having a shitfit (which they'll do regardless), but it being actually justified this one time.

Pubs are gonna leverage this to encourage people to double-vote if it looks like it might be close. ESPECIALLY if you can drop off your mail in ballot

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Isn't driving others to the polls like a straight up felony in a bunch of states? Kinda surprised "governor" Kemp didn't jump on that bandwagon yet.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Isn't driving others to the polls like a straight up felony in a bunch of states? Kinda surprised "governor" Kemp didn't jump on that bandwagon yet.

Not that I’m aware of. Many churches have “souls to the polls” voting drives where the help people get a ride so they can vote.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Not that I’m aware of. Many churches have “souls to the polls” voting drives where the help people get a ride so they can vote.

It's been pushed by the GOP in many places I think, not sure whether they got it through. Because turns out that kind of things mostly helps the poor.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    A lot of those laws do not apply to buses and the like, but more individual efforts. Also Uber and whatnot

Edit: I was wrong, see below

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

It is in Michigan.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2019/11/democratic-pac-challenges-michigan-ban-on-transporting-voters-to-the-polls.html
    Anyone found guilty of hiring a vehicle to transport voters is subject to a misdemeanor charge, 90 days in prison and $500 fine. The law allegedly prevented Uber from offering discounted rides to Michigan polling places in 2018.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    But why

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    But why

Voter suppression. It's pretty naked in the intent.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    But why

Voter suppression. It's pretty naked in the intent.

The "official" reason is to discourage bribery.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Growing up as an atheist in this country is a very odd and often extremely frustrating experience.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    This year is Michigan's first presidential election with no-reason absentee ballots. I predict we are going to have a fun time with that considering the number of voter suppression schemes it kneecaps.

This discussion has been closed.