Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Once RBG's replacement gets confirmed, the GOP does not need Trump anymore. Donald giving away his most valuable bargaining chip before the election means Mitch has little reason to put up with him anymore. That tracks with the business acumen portrayed in the NYT article.

...and given that he almost certainly doesn't personally give a shit about the consequences of the appointment one way or the other, I was surprised that he went forward with it. The progressive backlash is going to be a lot more significant than conservatives showing up to reward him after they already got what they wanted.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Once RBG's replacement gets confirmed, the GOP does not need Trump anymore. Donald giving away his most valuable bargaining chip before the election means Mitch has little reason to put up with him anymore. That tracks with the business acumen portrayed in the NYT article.

...and given that he almost certainly doesn't personally give a shit about the consequences of the appointment one way or the other, I was surprised that he went forward with it. The progressive backlash is going to be a lot more significant than conservatives showing up to reward him after they already got what they wanted.

Trump's plan was always to contest the election if he lost. He thinks replacing RBG now will push the Supreme Court into ruling in his favor. He might be right too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://store.joebiden.com/I-Paid-More-In-Taxes-Than-Donald-Trump-Vinyl-Stickers-2-Pack/

Joe Biden's store is on top of the recent news. Or this was stuff they had up there anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Trump's plan was always to contest the election if he lost. He thinks replacing RBG now will push the Supreme Court into ruling in his favor. He might be right too.
    Only if it’s really close. But honestly I don’t think he wants to win. I think he wants to put himself in a position to stay out of prison and make Texa$ doing southern speaking tours.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Only if it’s really close. But honestly I don’t think he wants to win. I think he wants to put himself in a position to stay out of prison and make Texa$ doing southern speaking tours.

I think those around him, and maybe the man himself, can see he'd probably be better off, and maybe even happier, to go back to throwing peanits from the gallery. But more viscerally, losing is anathema to him and he has to try and win.

• Options

That's not such a safe bet with Tish James. Like once he's no longer president New York is ready to drop the hammer. I'd imagine that's when he'll fall on pity and admit he had a stroke.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Trump absolutely wants to win because winning is good and it's only good things for Trump. Losing is bad and he's not a loser. Trump loves the prestige, power and adulation that being the President gives him, as well the immunity it gives him from prosecution. Trump absolutely wants to win this election.

What Trump doesn't want is the responsibility and scrutiny that comes from being President, but his entire presidency has been to attack and stymy those people who would hold him accountable. Now, yes, Trump would rather be a dictator than a president, but he has to win to be able to do that.

• Options
    https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/09/28/former-trump-campaign-manager-brad-pascale-armed-barricades-self-in-fl-home-police-called/

This is a weird one, Trump's taxes come out and Brad Pascale barricaded himself in his own house?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It is seriously incredible that something new and bizarre happens every damn day around this guy.

I'm starting to think we didn't survive that plane crash back in 2016 guys.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Trump absolutely wants to win because winning is good and it's only good things for Trump. Losing is bad and he's not a loser. Trump loves the prestige, power and adulation that being the President gives him, as well the immunity it gives him from prosecution. Trump absolutely wants to win this election.

What Trump doesn't want is the responsibility and scrutiny that comes from being President, but his entire presidency has been to attack and stymy those people who would hold him accountable. Now, yes, Trump would rather be a dictator than a president, but he has to win to be able to do that.

Actually, that's why I think he's pushing the "stolen election" thing.

If not for the NYAG thing, I think he'd prefer to lose, and claim he didn't, but not really challenge it. Gets to leave, doesn't have to admit defeat.

But the state level charges, he's painted himself into a corner.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly this almost makes me more worried about this election. Trump doesn't want to lose, obviously, because he's a narcissistic monster, but also because that Presidential desk has got to be the only thing standing between him and a whole lotta shit that's coming due.

Once he's out of the office he's fair game. Ergo, it is very important he gets a wackadoo sycophant in the SC that could have his back in a contested election.

• Options

MSNBC is a news organization.

Biden campaign on President Trump's attempts to make up a drug test policy for the upcoming presidential debate:

Joe Biden "intends to deliver his debate answers in words. If the president thinks his best case is made in urine he can have at it." (1/2)

"We’d expect nothing less from Donald Trump, who pissed away the chance to protect the lives of 200K Americans when he didn't make a plan to stop COVID-19." (2/2)

I guess Biden upgraded from no comment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/09/28/former-trump-campaign-manager-brad-pascale-armed-barricades-self-in-fl-home-police-called/

This is a weird one, Trump's taxes come out and Brad Pascale barricaded himself in his own house?

He apparently threatened/tried to kill himself. He's currently in the hospital under psychiatric watch.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Like I've always said, dude gets into the flim flam hall of fame. The fucker con'd his way to the fuckin white house. That at least gets you a fuckin plaque. Honestly if it weren't for the horrible plague he'd probably be riding to a second term, with an attempt at a third to try and never have to go to jail for his obvious crimes. Like his entire run was easily identified as a con aimed at either becoming immune to the law as president, or to start a news channel to try and bilk a bunch of people out of all the money he owes people. Like he was an obvious con man who was in so much shit his only remaining viable con move was to fuckin run for president and either way it went try to get it to un fuck his situation. The worst thing that happened to his con game is that he actually won the race it absolutely painted his con into a corner and the only escape route is to collapse the country into dictatorship. It's always all made a lot more sense if you looked at all of it like a really desperate and shitty long con.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    2016: There's a pee tape.
    2020: You need to take a piss test.

I can't wait for an election without Trump so that we don't have to talk about old men and pee.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    old men and pee.

Very Hemingway.

• Options

I can't wait for an election without Trump so that we don't have to talk about old men and pee.

You have a very optimistic view of how the presidential campaign of James Woods is going to be run.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Sleep wrote: »
    Like I've always said, dude gets into the flim flam hall of fame. The fucker con'd his way to the fuckin white house. That at least gets you a fuckin plaque. Honestly if it weren't for the horrible plague he'd probably be riding to a second term, with an attempt at a third to try and never have to go to jail for his obvious crimes. Like his entire run was easily identified as a con aimed at either becoming immune to the law as president, or to start a news channel to try and bilk a bunch of people out of all the money he owes people. Like he was an obvious con man who was in so much shit his only remaining viable con move was to fuckin run for president and either way it went try to get it to un fuck his situation. The worst thing that happened to his con game is that he actually won the race it absolutely painted his con into a corner and the only escape route is to collapse the country into dictatorship. It's always all made a lot more sense if you looked at all of it like a really desperate and shitty long con.

His entire con only works because the media and TV so desperately wants to prop it up. The Apprentice basically made him president via NBC spending a ton of money convincing the general public that this guy they vaguely remember from the 80s was a business genius so they could sell their stupid reality TV program.

shryke on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I am prostrate with terror at the very thought of more old man/pee talk.

• Options
    Remember Justice Kennedy's son was Trump's personal loan officer at Duetsche Bank when they loaned him over a billion despite him being in the hole so badly.

The tax story brings all the hinky shit back into play, and the debate is this tuesday.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I also don't think Mitch will drop Trump when he gets his SC justice. They fucked up and thought they could control the chaos and ended up creating an entire vocal and energetic base of conservative voters that are adamant Trump is Christ Resurrected and woe betide the poor schmuck that doesn't bend the knee on his agenda. Throwing Trump to the wolves while there's a perceived chance he could still win is a death sentence for a lot of Senatorial careers. The base will show out en masse and vote in True Believers.

Honestly, their best play here is take the Supreme Court win, hope Trump loses by a massive enough margin where nobody could pretend its not a blow out and go "oh well our hands are tied."

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I also don't think Mitch will drop Trump when he gets his SC justice. They fucked up and thought they could control the chaos and ended up creating an entire vocal and energetic base of conservative voters that are adamant Trump is Christ Resurrected and woe betide the poor schmuck that doesn't bend the knee on his agenda. Throwing Trump to the wolves while there's a perceived chance he could still win is a death sentence for a lot of Senatorial careers. The base will show out en masse and vote in True Believers.

Honestly, their best play here is take the Supreme Court win, hope Trump loses by a massive enough margin where nobody could pretend its not a blow out and go "oh well our hands are tied."

The issue McConnel is running into is he's pushing an extremely bad justice that polls badly with the electorate on multiple things and polls are showing the GOP could very much lose the majority in the senate. If they turn on Trump they are hurt, if they stick with Trump he'll drag them down with his bullshit more than he already is.

Dr. Frankenstein is looking at his monster knocking on the door.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

He apparently threatened/tried to kill himself. He's currently in the hospital under psychiatric watch.

What the hell is going on today?

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options

Is this related to current events or is he just unfortunate enough to suffer an unrelated breakdown?

• Options

Is this related to current events or is he just unfortunate enough to suffer an unrelated breakdown?

Impossible to know, but Pascale was campaign manager when the Trump Campaign had a billion dollars heading into the election, and now the campaign is broke, Trump is broke, and Pascale has a mental breakdown, could be coincidence, could be the walls closing in.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

It’s impossible to say, but it would be one hell of a coincidence. Probably best not to speculate though.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Impossible to know, but Pascale was campaign manager when the Trump Campaign had a billion dollars heading into the election, and now the campaign is broke, Trump is broke, and Pascale has a mental breakdown, could be coincidence, could be the walls closing in.

Could also be an attempt to set up an insanity defense.

Because I don't put anything too craven or stupid for this lot.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/politics/trump-election-campaign-fundraising.html
    “If you spend $800 million and you’re 10 points behind, I think you’ve got to answer the question ‘What was the game plan?’” said Ed Rollins, a veteran Republican strategist who runs a small pro-Trump super PAC, and who accused Mr. Parscale of spending “like a drunken sailor.”
    Maybe dude's freaking out because he burned through a ton of money with nothing to show for it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    [

MSNBC is a news organization.

Biden campaign on President Trump's attempts to make up a drug test policy for the upcoming presidential debate:

Joe Biden "intends to deliver his debate answers in words. If the president thinks his best case is made in urine he can have at it." (1/2)

"We’d expect nothing less from Donald Trump, who pissed away the chance to protect the lives of 200K Americans when he didn't make a plan to stop COVID-19." (2/2)

I guess Biden upgraded from no comment.

If this is revealed to be real between now and november I can deal with whatever happens next; him winning, russia annexing alaska, brand new nuclear weapon tests in ohio... just whatever.
    pf423z3s9oe1.png

• Options
    I mean most americans are also in debt, between student loands, mortgages, credit card debts and car payments. But our jobs mostly know those debts, Trump owes millions to unknown parties that will come do during a potential second term, that should scare any American.

I hate how people are treating this like "ho hum Trump is piece of shit." People are early voting right now, and for a lot of people finding out they paid more in taxes than a fake billionare like Trump will piss them off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    I mean most americans are also in debt, between student loands, mortgages, credit card debts and car payments. But our jobs mostly know those debts, Trump owes millions to unknown parties that will come do during a potential second term, that should scare any American.

I hate how people are treating this like "ho hum Trump is piece of shit." People are early voting right now, and for a lot of people finding out they paid more in taxes than a fake billionare like Trump will piss them off.

Eh it's trending on twitter. It's two days before the debate and one day before the weekday and normal daily news. So far as I can tell this was actually dropped perfectly to make a big splash.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows rich people just don't pay taxes, it's extremely difficult for me to imagine what the person whose vote would be swayed by this would look like. It's worth yelling about as part of the evidence that America is completely broken, but I can't see it as a bombshell.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Everyone knows rich people just don't pay taxes, it's extremely difficult for me to imagine what the person whose vote would be swayed by this would look like. It's worth yelling about as part of the evidence that America is completely broken, but I can't see it as a bombshell.

There are no bombshells when it comes to Trump, or minds to be changed. It’s all about enthusiasm now: every story like this one motivates a few more people who don’t support him into voting, and motivates a few who do support him into sitting this out.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

No they don't. A lot of the idiot marks that vote Trump think rich people are crushed by taxes.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It is seriously incredible that something new and bizarre happens every damn day around this guy.

I'm starting to think we didn't survive that plane crash back in 2016 guys.

It's like there's a horse loose in a hospital...

(NSFW language)

https://youtu.be/JhkZMxgPxXU

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A lot also think he is a great businessman instead of someone who has to personally guarantee a lot of debt now because of how poorly he has run his businesses.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So am I right in reading that summary that he's functionally bankrupt within a few years if he actually has to pay out?

• Options
    So am I right in reading that summary that he's functionally bankrupt within a few years if he actually has to pay out?

Pretty sure it's closer to "within a few minutes."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If he wins again, can the bank still foreclose on his ass?

• Options

Pretty sure it's closer to "within a few minutes."

Yeah something tell me the due date 2 years into his second term wasn't accidentally selected by who owns him. If he loses they'll want their money and he ain't got shit to give them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.