Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    It's no use attacking his hair. It's a known thing. And 200$ a day for hairstyling wouldn't actually be that crazy for rich person..

But $400 million in debt to someone else? What?

$200/day in styling is pretty insane for a dude with shitty hair that never changes. It’s not like he’s getting a new custom style for 24” of hair every week

The consistent thing about Trump is how utterly shabby his image actually is. His shitty hair. His shitty suits. His shitty decor choices. Everything about him is a projected image of what he and many others see as what wealth is. Especially an '80s view of wealth.

Look at most other wealthy people and they are understated by comparison. Trump is a shabby, unimaginative dipshit who only really appeals to the kind of people who thought Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was sophisticated TV. Everything he does is in service of the image he wants you to believe.

He's a fucking snake oil salesman. Nothing more.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

"EXCLUSIVE: Channel 4 News investigation reveals a huge Trump campaign data leak, exposing how 3.5 million Black Americans were listed as ‘Deterrence’ - to try to stop them voting in 2016."

To the surprise of no one. Pertinent to this election as well, sadly.

Absalon on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Why would you write that down!?!?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Because they are just the dumbest criminals ever.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

To crime more efficiently. You can't pivot table a wink and a nod.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    What crime are they committing - that someone will charge them for?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Targeting opposition voters with demotivational ads is not particularly new, and was known in 2016. The likely explanation is simply that they have categories for locked in/milk for money, locked out/don't bother, encourage able, and deterrable and that black people are overwhelmingly in the deterrable category, not that they specifically targeted black people for deterrence.

It is still racist and dumb but regular, practical, "functional" racist and dumb rather than like, racism for its own sake in spite of hurting the campaign.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trump’s people are like me in that they know you can wow a lot of people with pivot charts but don’t know an actual god damn thing about actual data

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What crime are they committing - that someone will charge them for?

In this case it isn’t a crime, just shady. But over and over again they have shown themselves to be the most inept criminals possible.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    $70,000 for haircuts works as an attack because many people barely make half that in a year, yet somehow also pay more that $750 in taxes.

It’s outrageous and vain and pathetic and that level of bullshit is understood on such a fundamental level that I feel like it’s borderline condescending to explain it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Targeting opposition voters with demotivational ads is not particularly new, and was known in 2016. The likely explanation is simply that they have categories for locked in/milk for money, locked out/don't bother, encourage able, and deterrable and that black people are overwhelmingly in the deterrable category, not that they specifically targeted black people for deterrence.

It is still racist and dumb but regular, practical, "functional" racist and dumb rather than like, racism for its own sake in spite of hurting the campaign.

Yeah this is pretty basic and boring politics

What’s new is the risk that social media poses- these folks were exposed to microtargeted social media posts and ads, most of which were created and shared by the IRA

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

[insert Youtube of "Are you taking notes of a criminal conspiracy?"]

Also, remember when Congress passed the coronavirus stimulus and Trump fired the overseer? Wonder how much of that money went straight into paying his own debts?

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    There is nothing criminal about trying to depress turnout for the opposition; what do you think attack ads against Trump or anything the Lincoln project does are for? By a function of demographics and passive racism, this means the Trump campaign will analytically determine targeting black voters with demotiviation is the right thing to do. Like, that's why Trump talks about how terrible Democrats are for cities all the time, the goal is to semi-correctly identify issues even if he can't present a better alternative because it demotivates people.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Biden leads Trump in Nebraska's Second District, 48 to 41, according to new NYT/Siena poll
    https://t.co/WZp6oBmppm
    And in response Dave Wasserman, of the Cook political report and one of the more astute political analysts out there

Between this and private surveys, I don’t really view #NE02’s lone Electoral vote as competitive. It’s Biden’s.

NE2 is basically Omaha and its more educated suburbs. It is hard to see Biden running away with it and losing the more traditionally D states nearby. Obama won the 2nd by about 1% in 08.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Probably the best thing to do with his tax returns is trawl it for things to ridicule him with and paint him as a fop. His voters don't care if Trump is in debt.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    There is nothing criminal about trying to depress turnout for the opposition; what do you think attack ads against Trump or anything the Lincoln project does are for? By a function of demographics and passive racism, this means the Trump campaign will analytically determine targeting black voters with demotiviation is the right thing to do. Like, that's why Trump talks about how terrible Democrats are for cities all the time, the goal is to semi-correctly identify issues even if he can't present a better alternative because it demotivates people.

For a normal campaign I would agree with you, but for Trump they are probably doing some felonies with it just as a matter of habit.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Biden leads Trump in Nebraska's Second District, 48 to 41, according to new NYT/Siena poll
    https://t.co/WZp6oBmppm
    And in response Dave Wasserman, of the Cook political report and one of the more astute political analysts out there

Between this and private surveys, I don’t really view #NE02’s lone Electoral vote as competitive. It’s Biden’s.

NE2 is basically Omaha and its more educated suburbs. It is hard to see Biden running away with it and losing the more traditionally D states nearby. Obama won the 2nd by about 1% in 08.

As someone in Omaha, the "educated suburbs" are very heavily upper-middle class white people who are very trump. They actually did some re-configuring after the 2008 election to add in more republican areas to NE2 to try and prevent it from happening again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's no use attacking his hair. It's a known thing. And 200$ a day for hairstyling wouldn't actually be that crazy for rich person..

Someone did a deep dive on the tax info and his debt when you include mortgages and things like that against his properties is closer to a billion than it is to 400 million.

Yeah 1.1 billion?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Someone did a deep dive on the tax info and his debt when you include mortgages and things like that against his properties is closer to a billion than it is to 400 million.

Damn. I really hope this will be used in the debate

Found the tweet again

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Probably the best thing to do with his tax returns is trawl it for things to ridicule him with and paint him as a fop. His voters don't care if Trump is in debt.

Yup, while this should be utterly disqualifying for public office from a half dozen different angles, and we should probably be starting a second (really, like 18th but...) round of impeachment this morning, that stuff kinda doesn't matter. That large scale stuff is sorta baked in and hard to explain.

What works are the cheap shots that undermine Trump's macho image and make him look pathetic and weak. Corruption works, but ironically showing the petty corruption (stole charity money for a football helmet sort of stuff) is going to hurt him more than the giant graft and corruption. Perhaps because people don't 'get' the big corruption, perhaps because they assume everyone at that level is doing it...but the petty theft and little things do work.

Attacking his rich businessman image leaves...just some poor ass racist conman. And the cheap shots about his hair or small hands distract him, make him lash out, and make him look even more pathetic and weak.

Yeah, I wish he was out of office for any of the right reasons, but if him spending $70k / year on his shitty hair is what does it because people can relate to that number AND they don't get to write off their $12 haircuts at Great Clips? I'll take it.

• Options
    Has there even been a Trump admin response to this?

All my news feeds are talking about the NYT’s piece, but nada on what Trump and his sycophants are saying, which I think means Trump is raging at his people and they are in panic mode to soothe poor baby’s hurt fee-fees.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I mean we talk about it in this very thread all the time. Not in the racial context, but we talk about driving down turnout among groups we don't think support us.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

All my news feeds are talking about the NYT’s piece, but nada on what Trump and his sycophants are saying, which I think means Trump is raging at his people and they are in panic mode to soothe poor baby’s hurt fee-fees.

Trump was posting this morning in an uncharacteristically explanatory mode about his taxes. Then moved back into just saying Fake news

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I mean we talk about it in this very thread all the time. Not in the racial context, but we talk about driving down turnout among groups we don't think support us.

Which I should note I personally hate. I believe everyone should get a vote, even if they are evil (and that is a label I reserve for very few). I'd much rather see positive get out the vote efforts than actively trying to discourage people to vote and throw away their civil duties... but I might be weird in that stance.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

They've been simultaneously trying to say that the returns are both fake and an invasion of Trump's privacy.

Then they pivot to (I kid you not) when will Hunter Biden release his taxes. :?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah 1.1 billion?

The 400 million amount was, IIRC, the amount that he was going to have come due within a second term. At least some of which appears to be "lump sum at the end of the term" style loans that he's defaulted on a number of times over the years, which creates the legally fascinating (but realistically terrifying) situation of a sitting president facing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of foreclosures.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Yes, he claimed the report was all lies and as soon as the audit is over we'll all get to see the real thing. Also he paid lots in state taxes, and the IRS treats him "horribly, like they did the Tea Party"

• Options

Which I should note I personally hate. I believe everyone should get a vote, even if they are evil (and that is a label I reserve for very few). I'd much rather see positive get out the vote efforts than actively trying to discourage people to vote and throw away their civil duties... but I might be weird in that stance.

There is no way to simultaneously point out an opponent is wrong or bad without depressing turnout for soft supporters of that person. Like, I understand the idealism, but in practice you can’t do politics without making people think somebody looks bad, and that’s a far cry from making the system itself harder to vote in

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Claims to be underleveraged relative to other developers but hasnt posted a detailed asset document, so nothing to talk about. Looks too busy trying to workshop a Biden smear for the debate.

Tumin on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Yes, he claimed the report was all lies and as soon as the audit is over we'll all get to see the real thing. Also he paid lots in state taxes, and the IRS treats him "horribly, like they did the Tea Party"

Yesterday he said in literally the same breath that it was lies (he paid many of millions in taxes every year!) and true (like "everyone" he's entitled to claim deductions and depreciation and other things that entirely cancel his tax burden so $750 was his correct payment and nobody really pays more than a few thousand in taxes).

Can't be both ways, of course, but the second one is just SO close to the point: If that's his correct payment, his finances are in TERRIFYING shambles. I lose sleep over mine but holy fucking fuck of fuck he's in over his head.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    He tried to run with the manufactured Ilhan Omar "scandal" as a distraction but that didn't really catch on either. He's also claiming his real taxes and financials are very great, and he's barely leveraged at all -so the Times' data is obviously dead on. The best part about all this is that he can't really go too hard on the offensive because that would mean effectively admitting to insurance fraud and tax evasion.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Great timing of this dropping right when Trump should be in debate prep whatever that looks like...

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I have no basis to believe this, but his compromised debt situation makes me feel better about the legal challenges to the election that will come up

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Throw me in the “$70K isn’t a crazy amount to spend on hairstyling for somebody filming a show regularly, and is likely a legitimate business expense.” I understand why it’s getting so much play, but man am I more interested in just how much money he owes and just how illegal it is to pay his daughter/executive in consulting fees.

• Options
    Remember, this is the first article of several. A lot of the questions it raises will likely be addressed in a week or two. Which also makes it more difficult for Trump to have a consistent denial since he doesn't know what other shoes are dropping.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Trump spending $70,000 on hairstyling is infuriating to me.

It's like someone spending $70,000 to mow and landscape astroturf.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Remember, this is the first article of several. A lot of the questions it raises will likely be addressed in a week or two. Which also makes it more difficult for Trump to have a consistent denial since he doesn't know what other shoes are dropping.

I mean he could just assume they know everything and tell...the truth?

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Trump spending $70,000 on hairstyling is infuriating to me.

It's like someone spending $70,000 to mow and landscape astroturf.

He spent what so far on golfing? 200 Million for the whole term? After constantly saying, he won't golf as much as Obama had. Nobody gave a shit and that was taxpayer money as well. I doubt this paying 70k for hairstyling will do anything.

Being 1.1 billion in dept to only he knows who should be the thing Democrats bludgeon him with again and again. Just ask that question at the debate tomorrow - "So you are hundreds of millions in debt - to whom?"

• Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Great timing of this dropping right when Trump should be in debate prep whatever that looks like...

I imagine Biden is gonna snipe Trump on this all night.

I’m reminded of Trump’s Comedy Central roasting and how they could joke about anything, even wanting to fuck his own daughter, but jokingly saying he’s a fake billionaire was somehow a third rail.

So anytime Trump says, “Fake News,” I expect Biden to dismissively retort with, “Just as fake as your business skills,” or something to really get under Trump’s orange, thin skin.

I’m fantasizing Trump so upset that he just shambles off the stage with his head low, like after his failed Tulsa rally and West Point ramp thing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Joe Biden just announced that he will not agree to a Drug Test. Gee, I wonder why?
    There is no way this attack makes any sense except maybe to Trump

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.