Options

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I figure Lucifer on Earth has got a similar disposition as to a Dracula.

Over a long enough timeline you're going to do all you can.

in the comics/show he's only just recently got here

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I just finished the second season of Lucifer.

MVP of the show continues to be Dr. Linda Martin (Rachael Harris).

Most Improved Character of the show is Mazikeen (Lesley-Ann Brandt).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm hitting pause on Lucifer, before beginning its third season.

Instead I'm going to try the first season of a show I keep hearing you folks talk about: The Magicians.

What is it about? I have no real idea at all.

All I know about this show is its about magic(?) and is reportedly very gay.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm hitting pause on Lucifer, before beginning its third season.

Instead I'm going to try the first season of a show I keep hearing you folks talk about: The Magicians.

What is it about? I have no real idea at all.

All I know about this show is its about magic(?) and is reportedly very gay.

it is about sad gay millenial wizards

also the first 5ish episodes are kinda not that great, but the back half of the first season gets much better

and then every season after that improved monumentally

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The first season is morally abhorrent but it does improve

• Options
    This show seemingly combines the worst people:

Wizards

and

Grad students

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This show seemingly combines the worst people:

Wizards

and

Grad students

If it's any consolation, they hate themselves almost as much as you hate them

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm on episode 3 of Lovecraft Country and I'm finding it to be pretty boring. So far it hasn't really done anything interesting with the premise. It's sort of like an average horror show with scenes of people being really racist mixed in and no connection between the two. Does it get any better?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm on episode 3 of Lovecraft Country and I'm finding it to be pretty boring. So far it hasn't really done anything interesting with the premise. It's sort of like an average horror show with scenes of people being really racist mixed in and no connection between the two. Does it get any better?

In fact it gets worse

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    TheStig wrote: »

no

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That show goes off a fucking cliff

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Well then. Thanks for saving me some time.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I personally loved Lovecraft Country, but it's definitely not for everyone. It is one of those shows that you'll know very quickly whether or not it's For You.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I was binging Lovecraft Country over Thanksgiving week since it was free for a week.
    I watched the first 6 episodes at home and thought it was pretty good. I mean, not great, but pretty interesting to watch.
    I went over to my brothers house for thanksgiving lunch (since the big family get together was cancelled) and we got to talking about what shows we were watching. I brought up Lovecraft Country, and he tossed it on on Episode 7. I am.

I don't think I've ever felt it necessary to apologize for a show recommendation before. But that is most definitely not the episode to use to try and introduce someone to the show.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    It's really a shame because the first couple eps were pretty good.

Then they made some fuckin awful choices like 3 eps in a row and ruined it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Watched season two of Killing Eve

Great scenes, great performances, clumsy bullshit barely-earned story

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Okay, I watched the first two episodes of The Magicians. Here are my initial observations/feelings:

-- Quentin is a real "sadboy" and I'm going to need him to become more interesting.

-- Julia is cool and I'm a big fan of the street wizard club, featuring Abigail Hobbs.

-- Alice is also cool. Maybe make her the main character?

-- Near the beginning of the second episode a scene with Eliot happened and I, alone in my room, verbally said aloud, "Oh so he's @Straightzi "

Zonugal on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh you see a lot more of Alice don't worry

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't know what scene you're referring to but yeah basically

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Running commentary for The Magicians is going to be fun

• Options
    Anything involving Eliot and/or Margo is consistently the best part of the show

Anything involving Quentin and/or Alice is the worst

Julia is also great but uhh

• Options
    Quentin gets better.

It takes a while, but he does.

• Options
    Firm disagree.

• Options
    Watched season two of Killing Eve

Great scenes, great performances, clumsy bullshit barely-earned story

Villainelle's actress is amazing and is also one of the only reasons for that show to exist.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh, so, exactly like the books

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I thought killing eve season 1 started off pretty well but shit the bed about halfway through

I think maybe that show just doesn't make sense if you don't think villanelle's actress is attractive and I do not

• Options
    edited December 2020
    3clipse wrote: »

Oh, so, exactly like the books

not really imo

quentin is actually fine for the first two thirds of the first book, and alice is great throughout

the other characters barely factor in and are mostly fuckin' terrible

e: I should be clear here that I only read the first book, I can't comment on the others

Shorty on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I thought killing eve season 1 started off pretty well but shit the bed about halfway through

I think maybe that show just doesn't make sense if you don't think villanelle's actress is attractive and I do not

Even if you think the actress is attractive I don't know how you can feel anything other than utter contempt for the character, she is extremely shitty and cruel.

• Options
    Although I guess people watched Dexter and rooted for Dexter so maybe I'm just wrong.

• Options
    yeah she's clearly meant to be compelling in some deep, fundamental way and I just don't see it

• Options

Even if you think the actress is attractive I don't know how you can feel anything other than utter contempt for the character, she is extremely shitty and cruel.

Oh absolutely.

The actress does a fucking amazing job showing her sociopathy and swapping between personas in the show, though.

• Options
    Oh yeah no discredit to the actress obviously.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I got confused for a second and thought this was about Alice from The Magicians. So that was fun.

What I liked about the ending of the series (The Magicians) though was
    that everyone wasn't BFFs with everyone else. Most of them straight up didn't get along with one another unless they had to work together for something. Heck, most of them were some kind of villain towards the rest at varying points.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought Killing Eve ran out of steam before the end of the first season. Never bothered to watch the following seasons. It would've been a really great miniseries!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Don't kill the one character they killed, kill the one they didn't kill, and end it with one season. Would've been perfect.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We got up to the season finale of For all mankind last night.

The penultimate episode slapped. Vivienne nippped out when nothing was happening, and then it Kicked Off. To the point where I kept telling myself, I should stop watching this and pause for Vivienne, but it was that tense and engaging I just could not.

Fifteen minutes later, Vivienne came back, “did I miss anything” and my response was, “yeah, like a lot”. So we rewatched the entire lot again and it was just as tense the first time even knowing what was going to happen.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Magicians is fantastic and has a dozen or so layers of what's going on and it's all so sad, but peppered with tiny moments of joy.

Its unapologetically gay and horny and treats trauma and assault with care and respect

It rules!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

i think quentin gets interesting (surprise, since i relate)

they never did seem to know what to do with alice, though. it's like when other shows use the same actor for a different role every season except it's still the same role

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about The Magicians is that, throughout the entire series, my opinion on the main cast fluctuates from "i love this character" to "fuck this character".

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I had a soft spot for Alice cause she's played by one of the 5 second films people but yeah her arc goes some places

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.