Options

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I love The Magicians, but I am a little over drama where characters are as difficult and unpleasant as possible to each other even in situations where that endangers everyone's life. The show improves a ton when it lets at least some of the cast start to act like they are people who care about each other more than their personal drama.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Catching up on Bobs Burgers it makes a lot of sense that Linda's parents are the worst people in any universe

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Maybe Quentin Coldwater should be more like super-cool, very-interesting Marina Andrieski, the queen-bee hedge witch from the streets.

I get the sense that you and I are going to have some similar opinions on The Magicians, yeah

This is probably a pretty safe bet, yeah.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Catching up on Bobs Burgers it makes a lot of sense that Linda's parents are the worst people in any universe

I appreciate that episode because Bob being annoyed by them already makes sense but he finally gets to say explicitly its because they treat Linda like shit

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Why I love Quentin Coldwater.
    He's not the hero of the story and he realizes it very early on. All of his friends are more talented, better looking, or just more liked than he is. He's sad and angry at the world, but probably more angry at himself than anything for not being talented enough or strong enough. He's weak and he knows it.

When he has the opportunity to sacrifice himself for his friends and dies, he asks what is essentially an angel at that point, whether or not his sacrifice meant anything or did he just finally succeed at killing himself.

Still gives me goosebumps to think about.

I need like a ten Blu ray disc Shout Factory steel book edition of this show and I don't think I'll ever get it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Contrary to popular opinion, I am no dummy!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bob's burgers this week.
    Jon Benjamin does stallone. It was the role he was born to play

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Not sure if this should be posted here, but goddamn am I going to watch it.

https://youtu.be/rHHbTm3Npfk

Mario Lopez as horny Colonel Sanders from KFC is not how I thought 2020 would end.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Why I love Quentin Coldwater.
    He's not the hero of the story and he realizes it very early on. All of his friends are more talented, better looking, or just more liked than he is. He's sad and angry at the world, but probably more angry at himself than anything for not being talented enough or strong enough. He's weak and he knows it.

When he has the opportunity to sacrifice himself for his friends and dies, he asks what is essentially an angel at that point, whether or not his sacrifice meant anything or did he just finally succeed at killing himself.

Still gives me goosebumps to think about.

I need like a ten Blu ray disc Shout Factory steel book edition of this show and I don't think I'll ever get it.
    he also consistently tries to improve himself over the course of the series

and does help and save the day, but it always comes at a huge price

also, his mental health never "gets cured" and it always informs all his decisions and relationships

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am so happy they have committed to the bit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2020
    Magicians was the hardest I've ever 180'd on a show like, ever, and I'm glad I kept watching it*.
    but season one is fairly rough, and I absolute get that a lot of people are gonna bounce off it even after that.

(I also don't think it's crazy gay or anything, but I do like that more shows are portraying the kind of casual fluid sexuality and generalised queerness that's more in tune with how people I know actually ARE instead of like, either flaming 90s stereotypes or the angst-ridden queer material that was everywhere in the early 00s)

*I think I only picked it up because i hated the books so much I figured that any adaptation absolutely had to be better, plus I was really curious about how they'd film The Beast.

tynic on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Started season three of Killing Eve, despite not enjoying season two very much at all

It is off to a much stronger start. Centers relationships, brings back the fun dirtbag-energy that season two almost entirely lacked, has character stakes with weight, ditches the lazy fanservice. I've still got some lingering bad tastes in my mouth from season two, but I'm willing to stick with the show for now.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I liked Killing Eve well enough but Eve was just like.............she was so demonstrably stupid in decisions she would make and seemed like she needed to be fired, immediately, from her job where she was absolutely getting people killed for no reason due to her direct decisions

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I definitely liked S3 more than S2, but I'm also less invested in the show overall because of how muddy S2 was.
    also, spoilers for anything before episode 6
    I'm not sure why they kept Niko alive, except maybe so he could tell Eve to fuck off once and for all
    seems like the only reason he survived S2 was to be a Chekhov's ex-husband for S3, but the emotional weight from the end of episode 4 was totally undercut by the subsequent goofy hospital scene. I think the writing is still pretty uneven basically

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here watched Good Girls before? I started it last night and it's got some strong promise (also some stuff I didn't love but)

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Magicians was the hardest I've ever 180'd on a show like, ever, and I'm glad I kept watching it*.
    but season one is fairly rough, and I absolute get that a lot of people are gonna bounce off it even after that.

(I also don't think it's crazy gay or anything, but I do like that more shows are portraying the kind of casual fluid sexuality and generalised queerness that's more in tune with how people I know actually ARE instead of like, either flaming 90s stereotypes or the angst-ridden queer material that was everywhere in the early 00s)

*I think I only picked it up because i hated the books so much I figured that any adaptation absolutely had to be better, plus I was really curious about how they'd film The Beast.

I will fully admit I only started watching it because of commercials during The Expanse and we figured "yeah, why not?"

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I definitely liked S3 more than S2, but I'm also less invested in the show overall because of how muddy S2 was.
    also, spoilers for anything before episode 6
    I'm not sure why they kept Niko alive, except maybe so he could tell Eve to fuck off once and for all
    seems like the only reason he survived S2 was to be a Chekhov's ex-husband for S3, but the emotional weight from the end of episode 4 was totally undercut by the subsequent goofy hospital scene. I think the writing is still pretty uneven basically

The (late S3)
    Dinner party? Revelation? Whatever you want to call it - like the penultimate scene of the season had me literally laughing aloud which does not frequently happen.

There's a lot of good to be had in S3 of that show, but I'm definitely arriving at a "I'm watching this to watch the characters bounce off one another and Villainelle's actress is carrying the entire goddamn show on her back, I couldn't care less about the actual story" destination.

• Options
    Yesterday @Rorshach Kringle & I reached about the half way point of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Yesterday the true villain of the show finally revealed themselves.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Is it the Romans?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    is it jesus

• Options
    it's actually bad writing

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here watched Good Girls before? I started it last night and it's got some strong promise (also some stuff I didn't love but)

I watched the pilot. The premise had potential, but I think they put the focus in the wrong place. Christina Hendricks was the least interesting of the trio, and making her the lead over the more-compelling others kinda bummed me out.

I've heard the show goes some interesting places, but it didn't quite hold my attention.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    it's actually bad writing

In Times New Romans.

• Options
    chico

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I fell off of Good Girls about halfway through season 1

It wasn’t necessarily bad it just wasn’t enough to take up my time with so much other stuff to watch.

I’d like to get back to it someday but I don’t know if I will.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm two episodes in and it's fun enough (I'm mostly using it for a background show)

I would agree that Christina Hendricks shouldn't be the primary lead, as I feel like her deal is just Weeds 2 or similar, and the other characters are more interesting

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm two episodes in and it's fun enough (I'm mostly using it for a background show)

I would agree that Christina Hendricks shouldn't be the primary lead, as I feel like her deal is just Weeds 2 or similar, and the other characters are more interesting

That’s a little of what lost me. I find the other two a lot more interesting.

Also there needs to be more Matthew Lillard.

• Options
    I don't know how I missed that Retta and Mae Whitman are in a show about crime moms, I should probably try that

• Options
    Yesterday "Rorshach Kringle" & I reached about the half way point of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Yesterday the true villain of the show finally revealed themselves.

it turns out, that, actually, slave owners? yeah they are bad people

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    is it jesus

@zonugal can attest, but as we were watching rome and they were getting closer and closer to jesus time, i would not shut about about the possibility of hbo's rome's jesus

can you imagine it?

titus pullo hanging out with jesus??

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    is it jesus

zonugal can attest, but as we were watching rome and they were getting closer and closer to jesus time, i would not shut about about the possibility of hbo's rome's jesus

can you imagine it?

tumblr_ljpge4fqu81qhzaruo1_400.gifv

• Options
    edited December 2020
    is it jesus

zonugal can attest, but as we were watching rome and they were getting closer and closer to jesus time, i would not shut about about the possibility of hbo's rome's jesus

can you imagine it?

Its true.

He KEPT bringing it up when all I cared about was Marc Antony.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    is it jesus

can you imagine it?

Its true.

He KEPT bringing it up when all I cared about was Marc Antony.

i had to do something when cleopatra wasn't on the screen!!!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Doesn't that show already feature Jesus' good friend Xena?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Xena is in Spartacus, not Rome.

• Options
    and is a villain and would never be pals with our lord

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

So she hasn't met Hercules yet?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

So she hasn't met Hercules yet?

Correct.

Hercules has yet to "unchain her heart" through righteous sex.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I just want to take a second and share the synopsis for this episode of American Dad I just finished:
    "Tapped Out": When Steve decides to wear TapOut clothes to school and becomes popular enough to star in Principal Lewis' rendition of Oedipus Rex, Francine decides to slip breast milk into Steve's food and drink so she doesn't lose her baby boy. Meanwhile, Roger manipulates Stan into lengthening his neck, Roger becomes a documentary filmmaker, Klaus becomes a security guard for the house, and Jeff gets a face transplant from a chimpanzee.

I haven't watched Family Guy in like seven years, but American Dad is just consistently putting out weird as hell episodes.

One I saw recently had a subplot where Stan and Steve woke up with each others' eyebrows and had an entire Freaky Friday situation going on despite their eyebrows being drawn exactly the same.

Hexmage-PA on
This discussion has been closed.