As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 43- Pirate Haven of Chaff

1404143454687

Posts

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Tentacle? Oh, oh I gotta see this! It could be so many things. Let me check."

    Arno pushes the book into 73's arms. "Guard this with your life and keep it dry."

    Then with a leap, Arno's over the rail, changing into a shark just before hitting the water.

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for what's down here?

    Also, reef sharks get 30ft blind sight.

    what's:
    1d20+6 7 [1d20=1]

    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern’ll say this once the crew are assembled.

    “Right lads! Lower us in! For the rest of ye, offer your services to the helm and the riggers. Get this vessel under control!”

    OOC: As much as Bern might die here, there’s nothing he wants to say so openly about affairs onboard.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO
    Whatever's down there, you just know that it's alive, connected to the tentacles, and *bigger* than the ship. Anything else you could possibly learn is obscured by the underwater swirl and churn...

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is practically dancing in place in anticipation, looking to the boat, then Oak, then back to the boat, "What's the plan, we goin' with 'em?" Fusspot doesn't look too happy about being in the chromatic rain and flies to perch on a railing with a bit of an overhang over it, fluffing up to dry.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes nods to Jack and Oak, then hops into the boat. Once he's in, he reaches out with his mind. Perhaps this thing can be reasoned with...

    (( Using Scion of the Deep to communicate telepathically with whatever this creature is ))

    "Who are you? What do you want?"

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern jams a boot into the prow of the long boat. He holds the rope as his Hand reels it out about 25 feet, straight ahead of the boat, inches above the water.

    “Damn you beast. May you leave this world knowing fear. May you sink so deep you fall betwixt the chain’ed tombs of the forgotten gods. May you sink so far the good eye of the raven that is Death cannot pierce such depths.”

    That’s a bonus action to grant Urixes Bardic Inspiration, a d6 they can add to any roll. Bern’s action is spent moving his Mage Hand.

    OOC: That said, if we need initiative or mrpaku wants something to happen as we hit the water, we can throw this post out.

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak grabs his axe, which he had taken to keep with him since he got it, partially for fear of losing it, partially because something in it felt like he had attached to it.

    He joins Bern in the long boat. “You get the lad from its grip, I’ll keep it off us.”

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    A fearless knife cuts through the water, hunting in the underwater jungle. But the sheer size of the tentacled beast is enough to give the shark pause, to search more carefully, perhaps to scavenge...

    Who are you? What do you want?"

    Urixes voice shakes Arno out of instinct.

    "Oh it's just me, wow I didn't know you could speak telepathically! Looking around there is a lot of tentacles and it is *big.*. Going to switch focus to finding the Rak'ta."

    Arno's senses focus. No blood so far, that's good, but can we find a scaly pirate before they run out of air?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Urixes, Oak, and Jack join Bern aboard the Long Boat, which the crew of the Whispered Curse quickly move to lower into the water. As they do so…]

    Urixes’s reaches down to the gargantuan creature with his mind’s voice…
    Urixes touches the Strange Intelligence with disgust, as though he’d placed his hand into a glove of *writhing worms*. The thing’s thoughts are alien: bizarre and grotesque. Whatever it is, the creature below you *reeks* of indolence and greed. As it senses you inside its head, the monster chortles, amused by the telepathic visit for the Warlock.

    “Oh ho ho! (Guttural rasps and clacks occur, garbled and difficult to listen to)…” Urixes doesn’t speak Deep Speak. However, he picked up a bit on the general tone: derisive, with a mocking request for Urixes which he didn’t understand, except that it was highly ill-natured. It sounded very much like a gourmand, addressing his lunch before he sticks in the fork…

    As the Long Boat *splashes* down into the water, a churn begins to happen from five feet away, building fast…

    [Everyone in the Long Boat, please make a Dexterity Saving Throw (DC 14) as the Gargantuan creature attempts to sweep you out of the boat with its tentacle! Don't forget Bardic Inspiration, if you choose to use it!]

    ---

    Suddenly, Shark*Arno sees the Shape of a Rak’ta held gingerly among one of the tentacles, being drawn closer towards the center of this thing. Reaching over with another of its many arms (Arno counts….5…6…more, they’re hard to keep track of since they never seem to stop moving…), the creature places a tentacle over the face of the lizardfolk. Then, there is a piercing *flick*, followed by an awful wrenching, and the tentacle discards the organ into the water as though de-shelling a peanut.

    [Arno, this thing just shucked the Rak’ta’s brains like it was peeling corn. Luckily it’s in the middle of its meal and has noticed you yet, but for how long? Please make a Stealth Check (DC 14) to see if it remains that way. You may also be assumed to have been within range for Bardic Inspiration (just barely!)]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Geth roll 1d20 for Sea Legs

    Hm. Bern thinks. Ah.

    He keeps hold of the line as he’s flipped beneath the waters, but his Hand won’t be able to pull him out.

    Sea Legs:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Dexterity Saving Throw

    Jack lets out a whoop and makes a grab for the edge of the boat, just managing to keep himself inside it.

    Dexterity Saving Throw:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

    Glal on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Oak sees the tentacle coming, but the weight of his new axe throws off his balance enough that he can't avoid it.

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+2 for Dex Save

    Dex Save:
    2d20k1+2 12 [2d20k1=[10], 5]

    AustinP0027 on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Bern has been knocked over the side and into the drink by the giant tentacle! He holds his breath and clings to the Long Boat’s rope, rocked underwater by the waves the thrashing tentacles create!]

    [Oak has been knocked just over the side of the boat: but he still has one arm over the side of it, holding the Great Axe still inside the craft!]

    [Jack manages to gracefully flit out of the way of the tentacle. The giant appendage now sits on the deck in front of you, defenseless and flopping for a brief few seconds (Jack, you have a free action here! What do you do?)]

    [Has Urixes @Denada been knocked into the churning waters?! Has Shark*Arno @zekebeau managed to evade detection, and notice the Wild Bunch’s situation?!]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack should help his friends, however the sudden strike his adrenaline pumping and entirely focused on their attacker and he attacks back on instinct, whipping out the red skull saber and striking at the wriggling appendage!

    ((OOC: On hit, adding Menacing Attack, WIS saving throw vs 13 or become Frightenend until EoNT ))

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Saber Strike
    Geth, roll 1d8+5 for Damage
    Geth, roll 1d8 Extra Damage

    "Ha-HA!" He slashes at the tentacle, then notices he's much more... alone now. Oh. "You guys alright??" Not even seeing Bern any more he rushes to help Oak back into the boat.

    Saber Strike:
    1d20+6 13 [1d20=7]
    Damage:
    1d8+5 12 [1d8=7]
    Extra Damage:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    OOC: I don’t suppose I’m in range to attack the beastie?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Go for it! But don't stay down there too long!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Jack's saber cuts deeply into the writhing appendage, exposing the fleshy innards! The giant creature flinches in the waters underneath you...

    The tentacle stretches out to its fullest extent, and begins to *shake* unnaturally along the length of the deck!

    Jack takes the opportunity to pull Oak back aboard the Longboat. From overhead, you can hear orders being called out, and feet stomping with purpose along the Decks...

    Geth roll 1d20 Tentacle#1 Wisdom Save vs. Fright

    Tentacle#1 Wisdom Save vs. Fright:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Bern affords himself one strike before heading for the surface. He draws his dagger from his boot and slices a writhing tentacle out of bloody minded spite.

    He breaks the surface after failing to swing with any power through the water.

    “Haha! How’s this for pirating?”, he calls as he looks over at Jack.

    Bern grants Jack a Bardic Inspiration die too. I didn’t realise I had more.

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Hit
    Geth roll 1d4+1 for Dagger Damage
    Geth roll 1d6 for Sneak Attack

    Hit:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]
    Dagger Damage:
    1d4+1 2 [1d4=1]
    Sneak Attack:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpakuGlalAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak rolls back into the boat with Jack’s help. “Thanks mate!” He yells before wrapping both hands around the handle of his axe.

    Jack had already wounded it, so Oak takes aim at a similar spot. They needed this thing away from the ship and maybe some pain would drive it away.

    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d12+5 for Dmg

    Attack:
    1d20+7 24 [1d20=17]
    Dmg:
    1d12+5 7 [1d12=2]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Oak's rears back as far as he can with the Great Axe, and brings it forward with all his might down upon the twitching tentacle! With a pointed *THWACK* directly upon the section Jack had previously slashed, the tentacle is cut clean away, and flops down onto the length of the boat, still convulsing!

    You can all feel the giant turn in the waters below you, and you can feel its loud bellow from the depths inside your very bones!

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Blood.

    It almost screams from the water, electrifying every nerve in the shark body. But this is too large, too much to face alone.

    "Urixes, are you still there? This is not a rescue mission anymore. And this thing is huge. Very much a canon size problem."

    Arno beelines to the longboats.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for stealth

    stealth:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dexterity Save

    Dexterity Save:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bern will have his Hand tie off the rope up on the ship, intent on climbing a ways and swinging into the boat. The Hand is now dispelled.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Acrobatics

    Acrobatics:
    1d20+2 21 [1d20=19]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack rears back for another strike, but Oak's axe severs the appendage clean off and instead he hops back to avoid the splutter, "Well, that's one down! Wait, didn't we have another person here?"

    At the sound of Bern's voice he turns around, grinning, "This -is- more what I imagined when I signed up for this, you're right!" He grabs the boat's railing and leans over to help the man up, "Bit of an awkward time for a bath, don't you think?"

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    “Arharhar!”, Bern squints as he laughs, pulling off his many layered pirate impersonating a pirate routine, “Always good to get a feel for the sea. Clears a man’s head. Let’s get this thing in view of the cannons!”

    Bern will cast Prestidigitation 10 feet below the waves in the direction of the foul thing! With it he’ll create an alluring tune that leads back to him.

    With that Bern shifts some sails and attempts to set a course away from the ship, hard to starboard.

    OOC: I’m guessing they only get like 15 feet away.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Water Vehicle Skill

    Water Vehicle Skill:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    "Oh, let me help with that!" Jack springs to help the bard, the longboat being a bit of a hassle for a single person to manage in an emergency.

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Helping Out

    ((OOC: Rolling a Dex check with a +2 bonus for my water vehicle proficiency ))

    Helping Out:
    1d20+6 22 [1d20=16]

    Endless_SerpentsAustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Urixes utilizes his Bardic Inspiration, managing to just barely stay on board the Long Boat, the tentacle knocking him *right* to the side but not quite over!

    A severed, twitching appendage continues to twist and slam along the deck at your feet. Jack and Bern work in tandem to get the Long Boat moving away from the area as quickly as possible, as Oak watches the waters below, Great Axe ready in his arms to defend their retreat!

    The Long Boat manages to pull away just as the massive creature below begins extending extra tendrils in this direction. The creature seems to be slightly confused; almost entranced by the strange music coming from this area. The tentacles seem to dance with a life of their own to the vibrations in the water, and the monster hesitates just long enough for the boat to get fully out of range…
    ---

    Shark*Arno makes for the Long Boat, but as they dart through the water, the monster takes notice of them! You’re too fast a swimmer and already out of range for a grab, so the giant horror makes one desperate *WHIP* at you with his tentacle, hoping to stun you with paralytic barbs and knock you prone!


    [The Giant Sea Creature is making one final attempt at getting a free meal from the Ship: by making a Giant Tentacle slap against Shark*Arno! On a successful hit, Arno will need to make a Constitution Saving Throw to avoid being infected with Paralytic Poison for one minute!]

    Geth roll 1d20+4 Tentacle Slap

    Geth roll 1d10+2 piercing
    ---

    From up on ship, you can see gun ports *slamming* open, Strikers ready to grab the ropes and descend to the waters. From up on the Starboard gun port, a Harpoon Gun is being maneuvered into position, and aimed downward beneath the ship. Near the front of the Starboard side, ropes have been dropped in case the Wild Bunch needs to flee their craft in an emergency.

    The Prismatic Rain continues to fall heavy amidst the splashing and shouting…

    Tentacle Slap:
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]
    piercing:
    1d10+2 11 [1d10=9]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    The creature misses! Shark*Arno, darts like a missile through the water, headed towards the Wild Bunch’s Long Boat. Once they see Arno is safely clear of the tentacle mass, the Gun Deck of the Whispered Curse begins to open fire!

    Most of the Cannons are angled down, making control, maneuvering, and reloading them time consuming and awkward. However, two good volleys still seems to be enough to get the job done, as the Gunners aim for the emerging arms of the creature and *FIRE* upon them with expert timing! Before more than half a minute has passed, the Monster has been *peppered* in six of his exposed arms by the Cannons of the Curse!

    Blacki-ish blood begin to fill the water, thick and tarry. One by one, the Tentacles start to lower themselves *dizzily* back into the drink, some holding on by mere strands of sinew. Before another full minute has passed, spotters from up on the Crow’s Nest can see the creature is departing, a black shape descending and headed Southeast as fast as it can: soon, the bell stops ringing out, and an all-clear is given.
    ---

    The Wild Bunch pulls the Long Boat back around, and chains are lowered to raise you back up. Your group is wet, weary, and humbled: but *whole*. You did your level best to save the abducted Rak’ta, but when you couldn’t, you still managed to draw the creature’s attention before it could snatch anymore Crewman, and gave the ship time to prepare an offense!

    As the Long Boat is lowered back onto the Main Deck, you see your fellow Crewman standing all around with wide smiles and clapping hands! A *cheer* goes out, and the pirates begin to sing “So they’re a jolly good fellow, so they’re a jolly good fellow…”


    [The Whispered Curse has broken out in a spirit of joyous camaraderie, as your fellow Seaman celebrate your brave daring in confronting the Giant Sea Monster, and your successful identification of the Pusher! Several of the Buccaneers have liberated kegs of beer from the hold below, and Captain Ari has graciously released you from your shipboard duties for the next 24 hours! Morale Increases Significantly!

    The Crew of the Whispered Curse will retell the story of your daring battle, sing songs of glory along the decks, and attempt to get the Wild Bunch plied on alcohol in celebration of their bravery! How does your character spend their time during all this revelry? Does someone want to do something with that giant tentacle you just brought back? Is there someone they seek out, or a certain group they try to find while everyone is socializing? Is there a particular part of the party you’re looking to find (drinks, food, games, gossip, cards, the Rak'Ta's wake)? Are they the life of the party, or an unwilling wallflower at their own event? Something else entirely?]

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Hmm," Urixes grunts, back on the deck of the ship. "That was strange, speaking to you that way," he says to Arno, "A little ... intimate, but a good trick to remember. Well done down there."

    (( Urixes will look for the captain once the party is underway ))

    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak climbs back onto the deck of the ship, water still dripping off of him, surrounded by the loud cheers of the crew. A drink is shoved into his hand immediately, which he isn't too upset about, but he's also surrounded by crew on all sides, which he doesn't enjoy at all. He stands for a while, but slowly escapes the crowd, finding the railing less confining.

    Drinking for a bit, his eyes scan the crowd as well as the waters around them. The black colored blood is starting to fade away, which brings his memory back to what started the whole event, the Rak'Ta who was pulled in. Oak sets out from his spot on the side to try and seek out at least another Rak'Ta. They must have some tradition for burying their dead, similar to how every ship had one. He had no interest is being surrounded by revelry anyways, so he might as well pay his respects.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    Bern will join in for awhile, play a fiddler’s dance, but it’s all a front.

    He uses an appropriate piss break to write a note on a page ripped from an old book. He passes it to the Captain on his way back to the revelry. He nods to Urixes as he passes. If he saw the note being passed it’s no great worry to him.
    My Cap’n,

    I have learnt the Wyrm blessed Calthus has great grievance with Zook, a new hand.

    In past climes they were cohorts, along with a half score men. All were set to be Hung by the fullness of the Law, save Calthus, who had mind to escape into hiding.

    Zook, it is thought by Calthus, must have betrayed his own, for he appeared in Far Aeston when he was captured as those Hung were.

    Calthus has Desire to see Zook dead, but not the mettle to exact his revenge.

    I go forthwith to seek Zook, and measure his want as best I might. The Omens are not clear to me, but I know Death hangs about him; be it others or his own.

    Request that you burn this note.

    Yours aye,
    Beurnn
    Bern has never really known how to spell his name in the common language. He goes with the moment.

    Bern won’t force his way in today, not wanting a loud argument to unsettle the good cheer, but if Zook is on deck, he’ll wander over to him with a drink.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is excited, this is precisely what he signed up for and it finally happened! Kraken battle: under belt. He happily waves back to the cheering crowd, then *hup!* picks up the severed appendage, knees wobbly under its weight. One, two, three! He's decided to take it to the galley, Michael is bound to make miracles with it! There's an anticipating rumble in his stomach.

    Other than food Jack is happy to spend the rest of the evening being social and playing games with other sailors.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    [URIXES]

    Urixes finds Captain Arabella celebrating with some of the Buccaneers, mug in hand and spirits high. She sees you coming and presents you accordingly to the group with a holler and a wave, “*Urixes*, ladies and gentleman! Lord-of-da-Deep!” The Buccaneers give a *HURRAH*, and cheers their glasses together

    BUCCANEERS
    Calthus, Galelor, Derbin, Calvin, Aloysius, Twitchy Joe, Black-toothed Bart, Eillibis

    Captain Arabella strides up and slaps you appreciatively on the shoulder. “Nice fucking work, my man! Heard the Wild Bunch was the first in the water, *like a shot!* Can’t imagine how many more of the crew we would’ve lost, if you all hadn’t been there…”

    Captain Arabella whispers hurriedly and confidentially to Urixes:
    ”These fucks have already about forgot a Rak’ta *DIED*, since it wasn’t once of theirs…that’s what most of the Ship is celebrating right now, unfortunately. So, what have you learned so far? I can tell you, I wasn’t expecting to meet one of those *things* already, at least not until the Grey Maw…is it what I think it was? Was that a Deep-One Spawn?” Captain Arabella seems to know both more, and less than she actually lets on. She anxiously awaits your update on the Shipboard affairs, and the *monster* in particular.
    ---

    [OAK]

    [Oak earns Inspiration for making the first act of his party to mourn the dead!]

    Oak finds a wake being held by the Outsiders for the dead Rak’ta onboard ship. In attendance are many Chameleons and Rak’ta, as well as some other highly familiar faces…

    OUTSIDERS
    Rax, Shin, Ril, Bluurg,Yis, Vix, Busk, Natali

    Natali, the Half-Orc Cleric who you’ve seen around occasionally, has been tapped to conduct the rites for the bodiless burial. She seems to be improvising:

    Friends. We gather now to remember Drox. Who they were. Who they could have been, that we were all robbed of. We remember their contribution to the tribe, to their ship, and to the Living World, and we will carry it with us *always*, in our hearts and in our persons.” Natali motions towards a Homemade Shrine aboard deck: Drox’s personal effects, placed upon the ship in the form of the Rak’ta who would have worn them.

    Yis comes forward, and takes Drox’s spear, returning to stand with it among the crowd. Busk comes forward, and claims his satchel, slinging it up upon his person. Now, Bluurg walks forward, and claims a wineskin…

    [Oak, do you walk forward and claim an item from the pile? (you may choose to create any item you think Drox reasonably would have had on him at death) to carry his spirit forward? Do you attempt a speech? Do you simply watch, silently and respectfully? Do you attempt to look around at those assembled, to discern if anything is off here (Perception)?
    ---

    [BERN]

    [Bern earns Inspiration for his note and brass in confronting the (presumed) Traitor!]

    Captain Arabella will receive the note in due time, here in her jacket…

    In the meantime, Bern approaches Zook upon the railings. Zook stands among a heavy gang of his friends, folks you’ve seen the past six months congregating amongst each other…

    NEW BLOODS
    Conrad, Uroz, Zook, ZIk, Dead-Arm Steve, Fenel’zir, Aloro

    As Bern approaches Zook with a drink, Zook notices, and gets the attention of the New Bloods. “Hey-hey, it’s the Great Salt! Welcome back, Bern!” The New Bloods all around you nod in your direction, but then turn back to their private circles, to nurse their drinks (and complain about the monster still being out there, so really, what good are you?)

    Zook smiles congenially, and accepts your offer of a beverage. “So, Bern, what can I do for ya? You here to sing a song for the new lot (gulps beer) mmmm, making sure you still got a job next season? Don’t worry, Old Boy, I’ll put in a word for ya…”
    ---

    [JACK]

    Jack wanders off to the crowded Galley, hoping to find Michael in his secluded backroom kitchen, and turn this horrible monstrosity into a delectable dish!

    [Jack continues to suffer the sudden pangs and tremors of Unicorn-meat withdrawl, and will seek Michael’s assistance to turn what used to be a massive, mutated Grell tentacle into something…palatable?...]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak waits for the others to step forward first, standing silently and solemnly. He didn't know this Rak'Ta, hadn't ever talked to them, so he wasn't foolish enough to try and come up with a speech. He was honoring them by being here, and by keeping his mouth shut. He did, however, still participate. Stepping forward, he reached down and grabbed something small, a leather string of a necklace with a single stone attached to it, some carving etched into it that he didn't understand or recognize. Maybe Drox had made this, or maybe it belonged to someone who he had taken from their same ceremony, Oak would never know.

    Stepping backward, he fastened it around his neck, however. He would honor Drox in this way. There was something about this ceremony that felt good to Oak, remembering our past by carrying it with us. He should ask Natali about it sometime. For now, though, he was content to be a silent observer.


    OOC:I really want to look around, but I can't think of any reason that Oak would do anything other than do the honorable thing and be a part of the ceremony. Silent and Solemn it is.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Aye I’ll sing in due course, and thank you for your offer. An old sod like me needs all the help he can get. A younger shantyman will take my place soon enough. Way of the world, don’t you agree? But right now I’m just after a change of company.”, Bern sighs, “When that lad, whoever he was, got pulled overboard, the Wild Bunch had a boat lowered right into the very waters the beast was churning up! I went too, mind, for they needed a level head among them.”

    “I ask ye, what would you have done differently”, he turns lightly, “Conrad?”

    Bern doesn’t want to appear like Zook is holding his attention all too much. He’s chatting to all the New Bloods, is all. He’s pretty sure Zook will talk anyway, guys like that love to throw their doubloon in.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "As likely that as anything else," Urixes answers, his voice lowered. "It was powerful, and hungry. But it's gone. I don't sense its presence anymore. This 'Pusher' of yours seems to be dealt with for now. I hope the others made more progress with the other issues today. I couldn't get through Dead-Arm Steve's wall of sound."

    Taking a break from conspiring, Urixes turns to the pirates and raises a glass of his own. "To the gunners!" he cheers, "Swift and deadly, all of you!" Waiting a moment for the cheers to die down a bit, he adds "And to the man we lost today, may he rest in calmer seas. With you lot on deck, his loss will be the last! For Curse and Captain!"

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "No need to get worried about intimacy, not the first time I saw that trick. Used to travel with a guy who could do it all the time. Learned it from someone old apparently. Hard to pronounce thought, Ctuthu or Crtulu? Shame what happened to him."

    Once on the deck, Arno takes a moment to bask in the praise. But quickly they find 73. A few too many bad influences to leave the young thing unattended. Sharing in drink and story with the crew, Arno brings 73 to a less crowded corner.

    "Look around, you see all this merry making? They have lost a crew member, but they don't celebrate his loss, they celebrate their life. Time is short, don't be afraid to be happy you have it. Mourn the lost but also honor them by loving life."

    As the evening winds down, Arno will take some time with the times. Are they in a place the star chart could have foreseen such a creature in? Was the creature in the book of the sea, a creature that could be detected sooner next time? There is still much mystery out there.

    mrpaku
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    As Jack makes his way out of the crowded galley filled with reveling sailors drinking cheap rum and offering their congratulations while he enters Michael's kitchen, Michael turns from his oven with a large dish in a gloved hand and walks towards jack. The dish is some manner of baked good gently risen above three dish's ample brim, "I'd say it's a surprise that you'd be somewhere near the center of whatever it was that was shaking the ship, but it's not."

    "You saved me a step in making this souffle rise", Michael gently sets down the dish on a table next to him, and quickly runs to grab a plate and some utensils and set it down next to the souffle. "I'd tell you to let it set for a moment, but I know you won't. Mind the hot ceramic"

    "Now what's this you've brought me?" Michael glances at the large barbs at the end of the tentacle, "I assume some piece of whatever was shaking the ship".

    Sleep on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack walks through the galley with heavy steps, feeling somewhat winded from carrying the chunk'o'monster. Enthusiasm is great and all, but it'll only get you so far. Still, he's happy to greet anyone on the way there, his enthusiasm returning when he spots Michael, "We saved the ship! Maybe. Saved some pirates at least, it'll have a harder time snatching them with one fewer of these!"

    With a grunt he deposits his prize on an empty table that looks like it can take its weight, panting. "Yeah... *huff* It's one of its legs! I figured, it was making meals of us, we could make a meal of it."

    He beams at the proffered food, barely restraining himself to get confirmation from Michael before digging in. In theory he's spooning it out of the dish onto the plate and eating that, but in practice it's closer to the chunk of food sailing past the still-clean plate and getting chomped on, oversized portions balancing on the spoon precariously. His mouth is too full for talking, but it sounds like he's enjoying the meal.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    [OAK]

    Oak’s sentiment towards the fallen Rak’ta does not go unnoticed among those gathered here. Natali the Half-Orc smiles over at you for your act.

    “*The Dead are not forgotten*. Let his spirit rest in peace. Let his soul disperse into the ether, and let his task fall to us still among the living. With the hopes that when we meet Drox again, we may be proud to tell him how we carried on his memory.”

    Someone comes and places a hand on your shoulder. You turn to see Rax standing there, growling appreciatively at your presence at the Wake. He whispers to you, “Zank you. Za Outsssiderss, zey zink za world of za Wild Bunch. Look at zem, you can tell…they’re proud to have you here…”

    [Oak seems to have the full support and approval of the Outsiders (with the exception of Vix and Busk the Chameleons, who seem to look familiar to you…were they at the Battle of the Elwood? Do they still hold a grudge?]

    Rax jerks his head up towards the Forecastle Deck, indicating for Oak to follow. “Can we talk? I’d like to asssk you sssomething. Not for me-*zis* time. For….zem.”

    [Rax would like you to join him for discussion on the Forecastle Deck. Do you go with? Do you encourage him to go elsewhere? Are there conditions?]
    ---

    [BERN]

    Conrad answers swiftly over the lip of his beer, a cutting edge in his tone. He doesn’t turn around to look at Bern as he *spits*, “Wouldn’t have risked one of the Long Boats for a single sailor who didn’t know what he was about, I can tell you that much. Wouldn’t have risked the lives of five other sailors besides to do it, since we’ll need every decent man we can *get* once we get to the Maw. Wouldn’t have gone and made an enemy of something that could crush us like a *BUG*, and then not make sure it was all the way dead.”

    Conrad smirks. “Guess that’s why you’re still just the entertainment, eh, Old Man? Maybe leave the thinking to those of us who still have our full capacities…”

    There are rough chuckles along the Main Deck from the New Bloods. Zook, in particular looks at Bern over his beer with his brow raised, the look of a man who “playfully” thinks you just got “got”. Over the harsh laughter of his comrades, the Gnome leans over and tries to reassure Bern. “Hey, ya know, no hard feelings, Old Sport! But he’s right, isn’t he? That thing we just saw? It’s only the beginning. And there’s gonna be a *fat stack of bodies* on this deck, that prove that they *shouldn’t have tried to mess with the Expanse*, before this is all over. It’s best you just… get with the program, right” Zook leans in and whispers to Bern. “Wild Bunch, they gonna protect you when the chips fall down? Nah, man, next sea creature *gets em’*, guaranteed. You wanna get with the winning team?"

    [Bern, how do you respond to Zook's offer, and Conrad's rude dismissal?]

    mrpaku on
Sign In or Register to comment.