As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Shang Chi Trailer On Page 57

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've not watched much in the way of Martial Arts-influenced cinema, but that teaser and what little it shows of the fights makes the combat in Netflix' Iron Fist look even worse in hindsight, and that's before you even get to the issue of Asian/Asian-American representation. Those snippets of Martial Arts combat alone are so much more exciting than pretty much anything in all of Iron Fist.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm loving that trailer, getting Black Panther vibes. Looks far more interesting than Black Widow.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've not watched much in the way of Martial Arts-influenced cinema, but that teaser and what little it shows of the fights makes the combat in Netflix' Iron Fist look even worse in hindsight, and that's before you even get to the issue of Asian/Asian-American representation. Those snippets of Martial Arts combat alone are so much more exciting than pretty much anything in all of Iron Fist.

To be like, the tiniest bit fair to that show, it had a Netflix budget. Not to say they couldn't make it work, Daredevil did just fine. But the level of shit we're seeing in the trailer would just not be possible without an extensive cgi budget.

But yeah, conceptually looks wayyyy better

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So interesting things to note:
    Looks like the 10 alien power rings that the mandarin has in the comics are now bracelets of some sort and definitely have some sort of energy power to them. I’m wondering if they keep the alien origin of the comics or go mystic with them for the movies.

Looks like there might be some ancient China stuff involving the Mandarin’s past? Seems they might be keeping elements of the Fu Manchu/Zheng Ze origins of Shang Chi’s father from the comics too.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Looks like the 10 alien power rings that the mandarin has in the comics are now bracelets of some sort and definitely have some sort of energy power to them. I’m wondering if they keep the alien origin of the comics or go mystic with them for the movies.

Looks like there might be some ancient China stuff involving the Mandarin’s past? Seems they might be keeping elements of the Fu Manchu/Zheng Ze origins of Shang Chi’s father from the comics too.

Apparently it's a pretty big change from Fu Manchu and the Mandarin due to the problematic components of those characters. I think it might just be a little hint of a reference but more of a total teardown and rebuild of his character.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Love the inclusion of live Fou Dogs in that trailer too.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

To be like, the tiniest bit fair to that show, it had a Netflix budget. Not to say they couldn't make it work, Daredevil did just fine. But the level of shit we're seeing in the trailer would just not be possible without an extensive cgi budget.

Also, and I know this has been debated to death, but part of Danny Rand's characterization is that he is a white guy out of his element in this culture. I'm all about switching up the races of characters when race has nothing to do with the characterization/story, but for Danny Rand I think it's actually important he be a rich white dude. Switching him to be Asian wouldn't really work.

Characters like Batman, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, and The Flash could arguably be any race because Barry or Tony being white has never really played into any of their stories. Conversely, characters such as Iron Fist, Luke Cage, John Stewart, and Kamala Khan would be a hard sell to switch out their race, given that being black or Middle Eastern is a huge part of their characters.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Also, and I know this has been debated to death, but part of Danny Rand's characterization is that he is a white guy out of his element in this culture. I'm all about switching up the races of characters when race has nothing to do with the characterization/story, but for Danny Rand I think it's actually important he be a rich white dude. Switching him to be Asian wouldn't really work.

Not really. Asian cultures aren't a monolith and doubly so if they're americans of Asian descent. A japanese or korean american would be just as out of place in a hidden Chinese city as a white guy. Or vietnamese or mongolian or filipino.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I actually feel really bad about the iron fist series. I really wanted to like it and in the context of a nextflix budget and street level goals he was a good choice... but the problem was that the lead wasn't great and the story arc for season one was all over the god damn place.

• Options
    Definitely should have picked a white guy who could do the fights in wide shots

No hard feelings to the actor tho

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Not really. Asian cultures aren't a monolith. A japanese or korean american would be just as out of place in a hidden Chinese city as a white guy. Or vietnamese or mongolian or filipino.

Would a vast majority of the audience understand the difference? I'm gonna guess that for many white Americans it'd be like the cultural differences between Alderaanians and Vulcans.

As a Korean American a movie where the main character would have to expressly say "no I don't understand this I'm Korean not Chinese/Japanese" doesn't sound fun since that's like my actual lived experience.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    iron fist showrunner also was poorly chosen, it was the guy who did the last season of Dexter. Compared to say the Daredevil showrunner who did the Spartacus TV show and thus had a ton of experience with action scenes. why they got that showrunner for Iron Fist I have no idea. I would be fine with an MCU recast/reboot of Iron Fist, but really I just want to see Heroes for Hire with Luke and Danny

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Apparently it's a pretty big change from Fu Manchu and the Mandarin due to the problematic components of those characters. I think it might just be a little hint of a reference but more of a total teardown and rebuild of his character.

Yeah I’m guessing the hold on to some of the core traits like the powers and origin, but do more of the modern businessman angle they’ve done with Mandarin more recently. And then have that combined with the Ten Rings leader thing they established in the Iron Man movies.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Not really. Asian cultures aren't a monolith. A japanese or korean american would be just as out of place in a hidden Chinese city as a white guy. Or vietnamese or mongolian or filipino.

You know what, that's a very good point! I should maybe amend my statement that Danny shouldn't be Chinese, but could be of any descent so long as the 'fish out of water because of his race' is still there.

You're absolutely right in that Danny Rand could be anyone, whether it's some Indian kid from Delhi, or a African American from Iowa.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

You know what, that's a very good point! I should maybe amend my statement that Danny shouldn't be Chinese, but could be of any descent so long as the 'fish out of water because of his race' is still there.

You're absolutely right in that Danny Rand could be anyone, whether it's some Indian kid from Delhi, or a African American from Iowa.

I think there's a bit where for a region it still applies, but I like your examples. I compare it to how Euro bad guys can be German or Eastern European or Russian, but often just have a British accent or are Peter Stormare.
    Definitely agree that the fish out of water in what should be the character's own culture is the important part.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think the way to do it would have been making K'un Lun multicultural. Like, the gate that the Rands went through were in Tibet, and the city was maybe originally founded by people from ancient China, but the gates move, different gates open, so you could easily have this mythical city that's insanely multicultural, because some people came from a gate in the Virunga mountains in Rwanda, some came from one in the Andes, some from Ayers Rock.

Have it be a unique K'un Lun culture and then anyone can be a fish out of water.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Iron Fist is one of those strange characters with no easy answer. If you stick to the comics and have him be white, then you run into the white savior trope. If you decide to make Danny Rand Asian, then you run into the stereotype of 'if he does karate, he has to be Asian.'

I think ultimately Feigi deciding instead to focus on a hero that is Asian in the comics like Shang-Chi was the best way to go. It satisfies both comic nerds as well as pushes Asian representation in a big Marvel blockbuster, which is more than welcome.

Something I really look forward to is what the next Avengers movie will look like.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Not really. Asian cultures aren't a monolith and doubly so if they're americans of Asian descent. A japanese or korean american would be just as out of place in a hidden Chinese city as a white guy. Or vietnamese or mongolian or filipino.

That's not super accurate probably? Like, many Japanese- or Korean-Americans could walk down a Chinese city street without people thinking they were out-of-place, until they tried to talk or do anything or whatever :P . That's not the same for a white or black person, just existing in many Chinese cities makes you a spectacle. Less and less and time passes, but it's still there.

Anyways though, I liked the Shang Chi trailer. Parts of the Martial Arts scenes looked super inspired which was cool.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

While I agree there is also the Danny/Luke Cage relationship to consider too.

A big part of their relationship in the comics was based on the vastly different backgrounds they had, and them becoming best friends. The dynamic there changes a lot with Danny not being a Rich White guy. Especially one who has been sequestered away in a monastery since he was a child and doesn’t understand a lot of the race issues of modern day.

Again though that does play into a lot of old ass race tropes. But that is kind of part and parcel with the origins of that character. Luckily in the comics he evolved a lot from that.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So this is the Ten Rings, correct? With their traditional owner and not some industrialist asshole claiming the title? Full-on magical mystical kung-fu magic and shit? And if all that's true, we gotta get
    Fin Fang Foom
    at some point, right?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    There was a time when I actually championed Amadeus Cho as being a great asian character that marvel could have utilized; he was a 16 year old korean-american who's power set could be described as "practical intelligence in sugar rush format" in that he could pull off some fun macgyver shenanigans with a handful of different things in arms reach but only if his blood sugar levels were high enough and was described as being the "7th smartest person on earth".

Like, he was a really fun character... before they decided to make him a hulk and over fixate on him being asian as opposed to being a teenager caught up in ridiculous shit.

• Options
    So this is the Ten Rings, correct? With their traditional owner and not some industrialist asshole claiming the title? Full-on magical mystical kung-fu magic and shit? And if all that's true, we gotta get
    Fin Fang Foom
    at some point, right?

Mega spoilers
    there is atleast one dragon in the movie

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fin Fang Foom
    at some point, right?

Mega spoilers

Fuuuuck yeah.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Danielle "Danny" Rand should be a black woman who gets to bro out with Misty Knight

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Rand actor from the series kind of got hosed in that they never were able to properly train him so the fights which should have been the highlight wound up sucking. The second part was a little better. I'd be ok with them bringing back that actor and Mike Colter as Power man.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I know nothing about Shan-Chi but is this FINALLY going to make good on Return of the King? Or whatever that IM3 short story was called. I think everything up through End Game has pretty much shown movie audiences are more than OK with Marvel going really REALLY weird.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    The story they ended up going with Danny Rand was a good one, with him in the end deciding that he wasn't worthy of being the original Iron Fist and giving the power to Colleen Wing. Him then deciding to get his own version of the Iron Fist that suited him instead. Combined with him giving up his position at Rand enterprises, maybe give the money from that to charity and just have him renounce all of his privilege to become a street level hero.

Force him to become a Hero For Hire with a Power Man that has been ousted from Harlem in a new city(Chicago never gets enough love). That would work great. Especially since his new powers are kind of deadly and he isn't a guy that kills at the drop of hat so there are real obstacles to overcome. ie. how to stop a thief without killing him.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about Shang Chi, but I love kung fu, so yaaaay!

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know anything, either, but that trailer looked great!

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The Rand actor from the series kind of got hosed in that they never were able to properly train him so the fights which should have been the highlight wound up sucking. The second part was a little better. I'd be ok with them bringing back that actor and Mike Colter as Power man.

I so want more of Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    The story they ended up going with Danny Rand was a good one, with him in the end deciding that he wasn't worthy of being the original Iron Fist and giving the power to Colleen Wing. Him then deciding to get his own version of the Iron Fist that suited him instead. Combined with him giving up his position at Rand enterprises, maybe give the money from that to charity and just have him renounce all of his privilege to become a street level hero.

Force him to become a Hero For Hire with a Power Man that has been ousted from Harlem in a new city(Chicago never gets enough love). That would work great. Especially since his new powers are kind of deadly and he isn't a guy that kills at the drop of hat so there are real obstacles to overcome. ie. how to stop a thief without killing him.

Is this from the comics or the Netflix series? I don't remember the Netflix series being this awesome.
    Nosf wrote: »

I so want more of Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

A PROPER Heroes for Hire (that kept the actual heroes from Netflix) would be great, especially if they are allowed to go nuts. As good (on average) as Netflix's "Marvel Knights" series were, it tried way too hard to root itself in the realistic even while acknowledging some of the grander ideas. Also we've "technically" already had dragons in the MTU so I guess it wouldn't be that large of a leap.

• Options
    Fin Fang Foom
    at some point, right?

Mega spoilers

Fuuuuck yeah.
    It's Awkwafina, right?

• Options
    Ah shit I shouldn't have Googled the actors for SHANG CHI. Be wary, if you've seen nothing about this movie like I have you are in for some spoilers if you do.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Is this from the comics or the Netflix series? I don't remember the Netflix series being this awesome.

This is from my fevered imagination for a S3 show set post snap. Danny gave up his company to Joy Meachum and traveled the world with Ward Meachum. The final scenes of S2 was Colleen Wing being the Iron Katana or something and Danny and Ward traveling the world to recover artifacts from Kun Lun. Ending with an awesome shot of Danny firing two Colt .45s with Iron Fist power(aka the power of a previous Western Iron Fist called Orson Randall that resulted in guns with infinite ammo cheat).

Luke Cage ended up S2 being Black Mariah's replacement as the owner of Harlem's Paradise nightclub and the unofficial lord of Harlem. A situation that was never going to last because Luke Cage can't have nice things and he certainly can't have things that require him to be a criminal to keep them. My take is that Isaiah Bradley comes up from Baltimore and whoops his ass now that he has been MCUed. Tells him that he isn't welcome in Harlem and to get out of town with the clothes on his back. Isaiah may not be willing to serve America, but he is willing to serve the black community and he can beat sense into Luke Cage.

The trio Luke, Danny and Ward ends up in Chicago, where the cops make the LAPD seem peacefull and the NYPD seem competent. They fight crime! ¨

Colleen and Misty stay in NY of course because they don't need any man to be awesome.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I think the way to do it would have been making K'un Lun multicultural. Like, the gate that the Rands went through were in Tibet, and the city was maybe originally founded by people from ancient China, but the gates move, different gates open, so you could easily have this mythical city that's insanely multicultural, because some people came from a gate in the Virunga mountains in Rwanda, some came from one in the Andes, some from Ayers Rock.

Have it be a unique K'un Lun culture and then anyone can be a fish out of water.

K'un Lun the Infinite City was my idea for an MCU take, yeah.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Shang Chi, but I love kung fu, so yaaaay!

As I posted on another thread,
    The character's moved beyond this, of course, but OG Shang Chi was totally a Bruce Lee cash-in / rip-off but still legally distinct OC Donut Steel.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I see absolutely no reason why Colleen, Misty, Luke, and Jessica can't keep their actors. Why change what works?

Though Luke meeting Blade might be a little weird. "You look like someone I used to know."

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Yeah, it's almost as if people watch martial arts works because of martial arts, and not because they have interest in corporate bureaucracy fanfiction.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    No way man feed me more of that shitty main character who only has one acting notr and can't do martial arts and has to get edited to fuck. Then keep saying we should give him more of a chance to show his chops because that's not privilege at all.

Like, I don't even think they should have made Danny an Asian character and even I think the idea of keeping the same actor is a gallingly bad look.

• Options
    No way man feed me more of that shitty main character who only has one acting notr and can't do martial arts and has to get edited to fuck. Then keep saying we should give him more of a chance to show his chops because that's not privilege at all.

Like, I don't even think they should have made Danny an Asian character and even I think the idea of keeping the same actor is a gallingly bad look.

Who are you replying to? Because I don't think anybody thinks Danny shouldn't be recast.

This discussion has been closed.