As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Shang Chi Trailer On Page 57

19495969798100»

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Saw Black Widow on Saturday, really enjoyed it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the supporting cast. Yelena will probably end up on the next Avengers team and I'm 100% for it.

Also
    MCU Taskmaster is better than the comic version. I hope she comes back in some form.
    Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate here. What about her complete lack of character makes her better than the version with character?
    A formerly mind-controlled child soldier trying to figure out what freedom means to her is a far more interesting character than Badass Mercenary Man #83.
    That's certainly not a story that is in this film for Taskmaster. It's also literally the story of all the Black Widows. And Taskmaster isn't a bad-ass generic mercenary man, that's such a reductive take on his character. You can like the blank, featureless void that is MCU Taskmaster, but you should probably have just avoided the qualifier "better than the comic version" as I'm guessing your knowledge of the character is based on ...well not the character certainly.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Finally got around to Black Widow. Very good movie overall and a great send off. But man that very last scene
    I am thrilled that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is sewing chaos throughout the new MCU.

I really, really hope she's in it for the long haul. She is utterly perfect as a sleazy mastermind and I didn't know this was originally supposed to be her first appearance.
    I'm telling myself it's a prequel to Veep.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the supporting cast. Yelena will probably end up on the next Avengers team and I'm 100% for it.

Also
    MCU Taskmaster is better than the comic version. I hope she comes back in some form.
    Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate here. What about her complete lack of character makes her better than the version with character?
    A formerly mind-controlled child soldier trying to figure out what freedom means to her is a far more interesting character than Badass Mercenary Man #83.
    The whole point of taskmaster was less that he was a generic goon and more of the guy you call in to act as a drill seargent to train up your army of goons. Further, part of the catch with how his powers work is that it also interferes with his long term memory as I recall and as such the dude struggles to remember things from more then 6 months ago that aren't being kept fresh in his memory

Replacing him with "generic silent antagonist with a tragic background" is not exactly an improvement.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Also

My guess for the next incarnation of the Avengers:
    -Captain America
    -Bucky
    -Black Panther
    -Captain Marvel
    -Yelena
    -Spider-Man
    -Scarlet Witch
    -Thor

I think Captain Marvel is cosmic, Scarlet Witch will be going her own way and Thor is probably cosmic now too.

New Cap/Hawkeye/Black Panther/Widow (Yelena) are a given I think
    Bucky, Spider Man - sure.
    Also, isn't Ironheart going to be a thing?

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Also

My guess for the next incarnation of the Avengers:
    -Captain America
    -Bucky
    -Black Panther
    -Captain Marvel
    -Yelena
    -Spider-Man
    -Scarlet Witch
    -Thor

I think Captain Marvel is cosmic, Scarlet Witch will be going her own way and Thor is probably cosmic now too.

New Cap/Hawkeye/Black Panther/Widow (Yelena) are a given I think
    Bucky, Spider Man - sure.
    Also, isn't Ironheart going to be a thing?

I see your point about the cosmic folks.

Ironheart's getting a show but, given her age, I figure she's more likely to show up with the Young Avengers.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't like Spider-Man as an Avenger and I'm kinda hoping that with whatever multi universe shennanigans happen in his next movie his next adventures are a bit more low key.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Considering Spidey as an avengers in the movies has been "turn to dust and then back" he's been fairly lowkey

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Also
    Maybe the comics have a lot of generic Badass Mercenary Men but the MCU doesn't...? And after the hype from some of my friends I was curious about this new character, who sadly turns out to be a non-character. As a non-comics reader it really feels like Deadpool from X-Men Origins: Wolverine where again my friends were nerding out about Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and... oh. Then years later I learn how right they were.

The movie doesn't even establish why the fuck she was mind controlled. In her brief appearance as a child she seemed happy to see her father, and then Black Widow blew up the building and horribly maimed her to the point of requiring cybernetic reconstruction.

I'm pretty sure she'd want to kill Natasha without any magic mind control bullshit required!

I don't have a horse in the race but for a guy whose name I knew from social osmosis this was a letdown, I had no fucking clue who Crossbones was until well after he was dead and he had more character.

Also this is a bit silly nitpicky but we don't actually know she was a child soldier, for all we know the events of the movie are her first mission lol :P

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Spidey is still good as it sets itself up for jokes in him being one of the "elder" avengers now leading to lots of bad advice and bucky/cap just shaking their heads.
    Also, is anyone going to pass up enthusiastic Spidey/laconic Yelena interactions?

schuss on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Spidey is still good as it sets itself up for jokes in him being one of the "elder" avengers now leading to lots of bad advice and bucky/cap just shaking their heads.
    Also, is anyone going to pass up enthusiastic Spidey/laconic Yelena interactions?

rZoVwL9.jpg

Still hilarious.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I figured the way they were going with Yelena was (Hawkeye series and Captain America series spoilers)
    Being in the Thunderbolts, what with Fontaine recruiting her to go after Hawkguy. She also recruits Jerk Captain America, so I figured it was building up a Thuderbolts/Dark Avengers thing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Also
    The whole point of taskmaster was less that he was a generic goon and more of the guy you call in to act as a drill seargent to train up your army of goons. Further, part of the catch with how his powers work is that it also interferes with his long term memory as I recall and as such the dude struggles to remember things from more then 6 months ago that aren't being kept fresh in his memory

Replacing him with "generic silent antagonist with a tragic background" is not exactly an improvement.
    It's a downgrade, but formerly mind-controlled child soldier trying to figure out what freedom's sub-plot was taken by Yelena. This was Taskmaster's origins, she didn't die they can go anywhere with her now. It's like Bucky in Winter Soldier.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's also room for more than one interpretation of the character, and I'd be happy to get more of the established version or a different one down the line. It's cool they use them at all.

• Options

Also

It's a downgrade, but formerly mind-controlled child soldier trying to figure out what freedom's sub-plot was taken by Yelena. This was Taskmaster's origins, she didn't die they can go anywhere with her now. It's like Bucky in Winter Soldier.
    Even the ultra mind-controlled Bucky has a personality in Winter Soldier and a narrative arc. It's just boggling my mind that anyone cares about the MCU Taskmaster at all, you have no character of her as a child and she has no character as an adult. Does she even speak in the film, I can't honestly remember. She's a blank slate in every way, she's not even a character, she's a consolidated goon. Whether she was Taskmaster or not, she's a complete void of charisma, character, and personality and projecting potential future escapades on her doesn't retroactively make her interesting in Black Widow

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Also

Even the ultra mind-controlled Bucky has a personality in Winter Soldier and a narrative arc. It's just boggling my mind that anyone cares about the MCU Taskmaster at all, you have no character of her as a child and she has no character as an adult. Does she even speak in the film, I can't honestly remember. She's a blank slate in every way, she's not even a character, she's a consolidated goon. Whether she was Taskmaster or not, she's a complete void of charisma, character, and personality and projecting potential future escapades on her doesn't retroactively make her interesting in Black Widow
    She has the same arc as Bucky. Mind controlled Bucky has no personality, and doesn't speak - he only does this in the end when his mind control is breaking down on the Helicarrier and he's not making long winded speeches. She speaks words to Natasha after she's not brainwashed, Black Widow is Winter Soldier 2.0, except with lower quality. WS has more charismatic presence, but they're the same character - an expendable weapon whose job is to kill, the parts where Bucky breaks though are very minor.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Also

She has the same arc as Bucky. Mind controlled Bucky has no personality, and doesn't speak - he only does this in the end when his mind control is breaking down on the Helicarrier and he's not making long winded speeches. She speaks words to Natasha after she's not brainwashed, Black Widow is Winter Soldier 2.0, except with lower quality. WS has more charismatic presence, but they're the same character - an expendable weapon whose job is to kill, the parts where Bucky breaks though are very minor.
    No, Bucky also speaks when he talks to Pierce as his conditioning starts to break down before the big climax.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I mean, are there any Named MCU movies where you thought there was a possibility that the lead could actually die?
    Are there any named MCU movies where like 60% of the movie is actively setting up someone who can replace the lead in the MCU going forward? This movie was set up to hand the baton off to her sister, and you easily could've sat there watching it saying "wow, they might use this movie to replace Natasha" if you didn't already know how things end.

I dunno about 60%, but IM2 spent an inordinate amount of time setting up Rhodey, for him to... just basically be in the background for some (but not all) of the big avengers group shots. And like, bucky and sam in winter soldier

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bucky has personality just in his physicality. It's character building just having him stood calmly in the road to take out fury and he's unmasked pretty early on and talks then.

You can abstractly say "two mind controlled soldiers are the same" but they're not even remotely close. Bucky is a charismatic and effective villain who goes from ruthless assassin to conflicted and helping cap by the end, breaking through his own heavily controlled mind.

Taskmasters physicality is an amalgam of other people, literally, she's ineffective multiple times, and is only freed from her mind control by a magic gas. We have no sense of who she is before or now or what she went through.

Bucky is leaps and bounds a better and more effective character who has an actual arc that's shown on screen.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I mean, are there any Named MCU movies where you thought there was a possibility that the lead could actually die?
    Are there any named MCU movies where like 60% of the movie is actively setting up someone who can replace the lead in the MCU going forward? This movie was set up to hand the baton off to her sister, and you easily could've sat there watching it saying "wow, they might use this movie to replace Natasha" if you didn't already know how things end.

I dunno about 60%, but IM2 spent an inordinate amount of time setting up Rhodey, for him to... just basically be in the background for some (but not all) of the big avengers group shots. And like, bucky and sam in winter soldier

Rhodey also falls under the same 'fuck Perlmutter' category. Dude wasn't just a sexist, he was also very racist. He actually told a Disney executive no one would notice they replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle because 'all black people look the same'.

It's not a coincidence we got Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Black Widow after Perlmutter was gone.

Also, again, fuck Perlmutter.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.