As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

1353637383941»

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Any word on when the next season of the Boys is coming?

Filming ended in April, so it's been in post production since then, but Kripke said no announcement or release would happen until the WGA strike had resolved, so I would expect to hear news anytime in the next few months.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Latest episode stuff:
    They've taken everything to a point where nothing has to matter for the main show - which is kind of good, since you should be able to follow The Boys without watching another show. But, it can of course make the spinoff show feel pointless.

It was a pretty good episode overall, but the doctor monologuing while the protagonists were hidden in the room wasn't exactly elegant.

Re:powers, in general, Marie could easily be the most powerful person we've met on either show

Wait what? Re:spoiler
    How can "and now there is a contagious disease that turns off powers in the short term and murders superheroes in the long term" possibly be described as taking everything to a point where nothing has to matter for the main show? I wish they had kept this as a smaller scale drama where characters don't need to stop weapons of mass destruction and chat with the fucking vice presidential candidate but here we are.

Re: powers, Marie has the same powers as the veep candidate, who we've shown can't kill Homelander, they've had a scene together where this is addressed.

Exploding blood powers are cool for assassinations I guess but laser eyes, telekinesis, etc. seem a lot better for killing people if you don't need the subtlety.

I'm sure the season will end with Marie somehow curing the plague but even that will be unearned, her only healing so far has been stopping a person from bleeding to death, which makes sense, not to - what, assume direct control of the immune cells in the blood to directly attack viral infected cells? Seems like an insane leap from moving blood around in bulk to controlling the incredibly small scale, incredibly numerous individual biochemical aspects of the blood but whatever.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Did they show that she couldn't kill Homelander? Or just that she couldn't do it before he could kill her?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think it's more that she's not sure she can kill him but she is sure he can kill her

• Options
    Even ignoring whether she can't full stop or she's afraid she can't do it faster than he could laser eye her head clean off in response, there are two other characters in this show who absolutely are a threat to Homelander with Kate and the dick explosion guy. Either could tell Homelander to just kill himself and his only defense is knowing who they are before they try and never letting them get close enough.

The setup Vought had going with Kate keeping Golden Boy on a leash for them would be their ideal next generation Homelander replacement, so at the very least I'd rank Kate above Marie, although at point I imagine she's going to be railroaded to some tragic end (and we just forget about dick explosion guy)

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    With how absurdly durable Homelander is, to the point of the capillaries in his brain being proof or at least resistant against head explosion, I’m assuming if it came down to it it would turn out he’s also immune to pheromone manipulation, and probably psychic influence would impact one but not both halves of his split psyche or something.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I'd have preferred if they just hadn't introduced telepathic heroes to create this problem in the first place but I think by standard Superman rules mind related bullshit and outright magic are the two things that get right to this character.

Anyway it's all a bit of a silly tangent because this kind of slice of life spin off story shouldn't even have us talking about who is or is not "omg the most powerful supe ever" or introducing crazy high, world ending stakes.

Even The Boys itself is actually a small story about vengeance just set in a fascinating little deconstructive world. If Butcher ever kills Homelander then not much actually changes in the world, Vought probably makes more money off the funeral, commemorative merch and spectacle of recruiting a replacement to The Seven, and they hold their breath that the next physically unstoppable science project is easier to control as Ryan grows up.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    You're gonna get telepathic heroes. Cate is basically Purple Man and he is incredibly dangerous in Marvel as well. Her affecting Homelander is kind of moot since he doesn't generally just hang out where you can wander up to him and he can sense heart rate and fear, and he's in a full body suit seemingly all the time meaning she only has one point of contact that happens to be attached to a pair of lasers. It's not worth thinking about. Same with Neuman, Homelander is stronger than SB and the Russians spent decades trying to inflict damage on him internally and externally. The only time we've seen him injured is by supes remotely approaching his strength level in Maeve, Solder Boy, and Butcher, although I'd guess it was SB who gave him the bruise because the final episode showed him being way stronger than Butcher on V.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Latest episode stuff:
    They've taken everything to a point where nothing has to matter for the main show - which is kind of good, since you should be able to follow The Boys without watching another show. But, it can of course make the spinoff show feel pointless.

It was a pretty good episode overall, but the doctor monologuing while the protagonists were hidden in the room wasn't exactly elegant.

Re:powers, in general, Marie could easily be the most powerful person we've met on either show

How can "and now there is a contagious disease that turns off powers in the short term and murders superheroes in the long term" possibly be described as taking everything to a point where nothing has to matter for the main show? I wish they had kept this as a smaller scale drama where characters don't need to stop weapons of mass destruction and chat with the fucking vice presidential candidate but here we are.

Re: powers, Marie has the same powers as the veep candidate, who we've shown can't kill Homelander, they've had a scene together where this is addressed.

Exploding blood powers are cool for assassinations I guess but laser eyes, telekinesis, etc. seem a lot better for killing people if you don't need the subtlety.

I'm sure the season will end with Marie somehow curing the plague but even that will be unearned, her only healing so far has been stopping a person from bleeding to death, which makes sense, not to - what, assume direct control of the immune cells in the blood to directly attack viral infected cells? Seems like an insane leap from moving blood around in bulk to controlling the incredibly small scale, incredibly numerous individual biochemical aspects of the blood but whatever.

Spoiler stuff:
    They've literally just given every bit of the virus to a person who can go, "what? I haven't seen that, sorry", and exploded the only person who can recreate it. I think it's fine, but it's also obviously a move that allows them to ignore it on the main show if they want to.

About Marie/powers (adding a spoiler due to latest episode):
    We don't know if Marie is more powerful than Neuman, and it's of course a bit of a retcon that they now have the same power - Neuman's thing in the main show seemed to required line of sight, re: the fight with the guy who recognized her. But I don't know how you can't see the ability to control blood as wildly powerful, whether it works on Homelander or not (are you only powerful if you can instagib him?). It's the Iceman thing from X-Men ("he just controls water") - the possibilities are insane, depending on how they want to ramp it up, and they do seem to imply that she's quickly learning more about her powers.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Latest episode stuff:

Spoiler stuff:
    They've literally just given every bit of the virus to a person who can go, "what? I haven't seen that, sorry", and exploded the only person who can recreate it. I think it's fine, but it's also obviously a move that allows them to ignore it on the main show if they want to.

We don't know if Marie is more powerful than Neuman, and it's of course a bit of a retcon that they now have the same power - Neuman's thing in the main show seemed to required line of sight, re: the fight with the guy who recognized her. But I don't know how you can't see the ability to control blood as wildly powerful, whether it works on Homelander or not (are you only powerful if you can instagib him?). It's the Iceman thing from X-Men ("he just controls water") - the possibilities are insane, depending on how they want to ramp it up, and they do seem to imply that she's quickly learning more about her powers.

There are
    infected people in the Woods.

• Options
    Latest episode stuff:

Spoiler stuff:

Re: Blood Magic
    Yea sure, controlling blood is a pretty great combat power given that people are full of the stuff, I just feel like several other things like telekinesis or control over magnetism are outright better and since we're talking about what's good in a fight it begs comparisons to heavy hitters we've seen before.

Any non-violent applications feel incredibly contrived already and I'm betting we'll have her curing the sick later because reasons, too, but sure that's pretty neat if we tack it on.

Also just btw, not a gotcha just a heads up, I'm pretty sure Iceman controls heat, which some writer eventually realized means the motion of all atoms in all things, and that's what puts him in the same "it's crazy to control fundamental forces of the universe" category as Magneto.

• Options
    Latest episode stuff:

Spoiler stuff:

There are
    infected people in the Woods.

Sure..
    I think the writers could figure out a way of making that go away. That's one background gag of a news story on a TV about a mysterious fire at God U, or whatever. They're even killing off people who might have credibility - and some of that could even be somewhat elegant. Kill Andre's dad next episode, and you've removed a problem + made Andre emotionally vulnerable, which can lead to all sorts of bad decisions and fun times.

Maybe this show will have all kinds of actual crossover that impacts the main show, but they sure have placed themselves in a good position where they don't have to do that. Which is good, mind you.

• Options
    I think if your idea of "placed themselves in a good position" to avoid loose string greater plot implications is anytime you can say "and then an offscreen fire kills everyone and destroys everything" then that's a pretty crazy generous categorization, lol.

• Options
    Not what I'm saying at all. Come on.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    About Neuman
    didn't S3 establish her power is like, psychic bullets fired from her eyes? She has a fight with that one guy and he's able to block her by raising his hands in front of his face and she like, blasts him away in chunks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Can I just say that I love that the most problematic trash comic series of the early 2000s is now a loveable superhero show that's got us arguing shit like "could the flash beat Superman" but in the Vought universe.

Like honestly that's the kind of discourse I'm here for.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, my interpretation of why everyone is scared of Marie's power is because I assume if she learned how, she might be able to pull compound V out of other superheroes. Given she can detect it in peoples blood as established by the previous episode, plus she knows one of the most dangerous secrets in the boys universe, I wonder if that won't become a thing in future.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    As someone said earlier, we're all blood bags and when she killed her parents, not only did she explode people she turned them into shrapnel bombs. They might even go as far as letting her puppet people because blood is like everywhere.

On dick healing, there is no way any super school, let alone one as health and safety averse as GodU (they have regular fights as seen in episode 1 where Golden Boy rips a guy's arms off) without super healing supes. So like Hogwarts I assume there is an unseen medical wing.

RazielMortem on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is there also a supe whose power is to whisk away peoples poop when they shit their pants?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Until that power manifested in someone supes were just using their robes as cover while they shat on the floor.

Tough times at Vought Tower.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I can't get mad at people talking about the spin off but i would be lying if i said i wasn't disappointed there still isn't a release date for next season. I guess invincible is dropping soon at least.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Finale
    Ah Marie, took that laser blast like a champ, anyone else would've been in the ground. The creators are too enamored with their creation, it's eye rollingly bad.

Finale was mostly dull, the escapees had no interesting powers, Cate removed all Sam's feelings but he had a level fight with Andre? Power scaling gone crazy. I was surprised they had him go hard at Emma which was nice because that relationship was weird and fast. Marie is already up to cancelling invisibility, heart stopping and exploding people in one episode so she's now not only gotta be praised every episode she's the most OP character on the show with skin that can tank a Homelander blast but also be cut with a knife. The narrative control is still weak, there are two guards in the Woods apparently and the access is INSIDE the school with the entrance in a public space. Cate is the only redeeming and interesting character on the show.

Ultimately that feeding into season 4 of the Boys seems to just be Butcher being inside the Woods and Homelander being against supes killing other supes...except I think he was already like that and he kills supes all the time.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    on the finale final scene(s)
    I think he lasered the fuck out of them and they're dead, in Cate's head, that's why their room didn't have doors.

looks like next season might be the last the way they're setting up the stakes on both sides.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Finale
    Everyone seemed weirdly calm in the last scene in that locked room. I assumed it was going to be revealed that they were all mind whammied by Cate again. Also, how exactly did Vought cover up who was responsible for the attack on God U? They've shown every single person there is utterly obsessed with social media, even had Cate record a guy she forced to eat and detonate a bomb. I know they said the internet was cut off at some point, but surely at least a few kept recording regardless, plus even the footage that they must have streamed before that should be damning enough, and absolutely didn't show any evidence of it being Marie and the gang being the cause of it all. If they do follow up to this season, who wants to bet they will have Marie able to use her blood powers to fix whatever brain damage Andre's powers cause him?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The Marie hate folks have is a bit weird, imo. She's not the most amazingly written character but I feel the writers nail the social anxiety she would have.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I think the hate isn’t so much for the character as how much she seems to be the writers’ favourite. So many characters commenting about how smart and pretty and cool she is, and how her powers are the coolest and best powers ever. Blood manipulation’s neat, but there’s plenty of other supes with more interesting and more potent powers.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    I think the hate isn’t so much for the character as how much she seems to be the writers’ favourite. So many characters commenting about how smart and pretty and cool she is, and how her powers are the coolest and best powers ever. Blood manipulation’s neat, but there’s plenty of other supes with more interesting and more potent powers.

Yeah, Marie's all right and even sort of interesting within The Boys' mythology as she's less of a funhouse-mirror version of a character we already know (as with Jordan) than most of the cast. The writing is just laying it on awful thick, and even knowing that Gen V wants to front-light the "fame is toxic" themes of the property it clangs.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    there is one aspect of Marie's power that you haven't covered: Her potential as a healer.
    In the first episode; she heals a woman with a cut throat artery and she could have healed Shetty. She can detect Compound V in somebody's blood. She can theoretically heal blood vessels inside the body. Including inside the brain. Now we know Andre might have brain damage from using his power. As does Butcher from using Temp V. A decent motivation for The Boys to break her out.

Best case scenario is that she can regrow limbs lost. She can certainly fix blockages aka goodbye risky bypass surgery. Lots of rich, powerful people would pay for that.

Plus the subtle use of Marie's powers is also important: She can give people strokes and brain hemorrhages. One small stroke next to his optic nerves and Homelander is blind and unable to use his Laser Eyes.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    there is one aspect of Marie's power that you haven't covered: Her potential as a healer.
    In the first episode; she heals a woman with a cut throat artery and she could have healed Shetty. She can detect Compound V in somebody's blood. She can theoretically heal blood vessels inside the body. Including inside the brain. Now we know Andre might have brain damage from using his power. As does Butcher from using Temp V. A decent motivation for The Boys to break her out.

Best case scenario is that she can regrow limbs lost. She can certainly fix blockages aka goodbye risky bypass surgery. Lots of rich, powerful people would pay for that.

Plus the subtle use of Marie's powers is also important: She can give people strokes and brain hemorrhages. One small stroke next to his optic nerves and Homelander is blind and unable to use his Laser Eyes.

All making her an ideal "agent" for literally any agency.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

I just finished the series and I think this criticism rings hollow to me, the characters telling her this were all trying to ingratiate themselves to her, for the most part. I still can't quite figure out what made Homelander jump to the conclusions he did nor, more interestingly, why Vought would back that up, but I suppose we'll find out in the next season of The Boys. (aside: the trope that a single PhD could be the only one involved in the production of a virus and be the only one that could replicate it continues to be 'they're stealing the internet!' to me, but I'll let it slide since his techs in this setting would be more likely to put the SOPs on arxiv than want their faces and explodeable heads associated with such a thing)

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »

I just finished the series and I think this criticism rings hollow to me, the characters telling her this were all trying to ingratiate themselves to her, for the most part. I still can't quite figure out what made Homelander jump to the conclusions he did nor, more interestingly, why Vought would back that up, but I suppose we'll find out in the next season of The Boys. (aside: the trope that a single PhD could be the only one involved in the production of a virus and be the only one that could replicate it continues to be 'they're stealing the internet!' to me, but I'll let it slide since his techs in this setting would be more likely to put the SOPs on arxiv than want their faces and explodeable heads associated with such a thing)

They say the same things when she's off screen.

• Options

I can't remember the episode, but I'm pretty sure the virus doctor specifically stated they wanted Marie's blood manipulation powers for the virus, I can't remember if they gave an exact reason why though.

It was definitely weird that Homelander immediately jump to it all being Marie's fault, that she's the one attacking other supes. I guess he saw her explode Cate's arm, and he is unhinged enough to use that as an excuse. Plus I guess although they've not explicitly portrayed him as a racist, the supercop immediately assuming the violent altercation was the fault of the first black person they lay eyes on would be appropriate for the social commentary the show likes to make.

• Options

I can't remember the episode, but I'm pretty sure the virus doctor specifically stated they wanted Marie's blood manipulation powers for the virus, I can't remember if they gave an exact reason why though.

It was definitely weird that Homelander immediately jump to it all being Marie's fault, that she's the one attacking other supes. I guess he saw her explode Cate's arm, and he is unhinged enough to use that as an excuse. Plus I guess although they've not explicitly portrayed him as a racist, the supercop immediately assuming the violent altercation was the fault of the first black person they lay eyes on would be appropriate for the social commentary the show likes to make.

Shetty discusses her beauty with someone in an early episode as well.

As for Homelander, he saw a supe using their abilities to stop another supe from killing humans, who he has no like for whatsoever. I think that's consistent with his character, he believes supes are superior and seeing a supe maiming another one to protect humans annoyed him. Yes he kills and maims supes but he sees himself as superior to them as well, and they're generally in his way or a nuisance. I don't think he's racist, he never bought into Stormfront's ideology and he seemed to genuinely care about Black Noir, he's just prejudiced against everyone who is inferior to him.

• Options

Shetty discusses her beauty with someone in an early episode as well.

As for Homelander, he saw a supe using their abilities to stop another supe from killing humans, who he has no like for whatsoever. I think that's consistent with his character, he believes supes are superior and seeing a supe maiming another one to protect humans annoyed him. Yes he kills and maims supes but he sees himself as superior to them as well, and they're generally in his way or a nuisance. I don't think he's racist, he never bought into Stormfront's ideology and he seemed to genuinely care about Black Noir, he's just prejudiced against everyone who is inferior to him.

He really is the embodiment of "I'm not racist, I hate all people equally."

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    While maybe he would've seen Marie impale the one escapee, we're only sure he saw Marie defend Jordan from Cate which is stopping one supe from hurting another, which makes his rush to judgement seem extra odd. Even if they ignore Sam and forgive Kate, they'd been grooming the others into candidates for the 7 so the easiest patsies are the escapees they already killed. That's why it felt either contrived or setting up how the next season of The Boys will open, with Homelander starting to go more rogue or something. I did enjoy the detuned patriotic music on his arrival.

• Options
    While maybe he would've seen Marie impale the one escapee, we're only sure he saw Marie defend Jordan from Cate which is stopping one supe from hurting another, which makes his rush to judgement seem extra odd. Even if they ignore Sam and forgive Kate, they'd been grooming the others into candidates for the 7 so the easiest patsies are the escapees they already killed. That's why it felt either contrived or setting up how the next season of The Boys will open, with Homelander starting to go more rogue or something. I did enjoy the detuned patriotic music on his arrival.

I mean it's that too, the entire series has been a succession of contrived events to hit their bullet points.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I think its as simple as this:

They called their top students to act as bodyguards and they went to save others instead.

Kate has been brought to heel before and has a super handy power if you're a piece of shit, plus they have leverage on her now outside of manipulating her guilt.

Plus they may be wise to the fact that the other four are likely to whistle blow the shit out of what was going on in the Woods

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I agree that Homelander "saw" or "thought" anything about the situation. I assumed the spin was decided on before he arrived. Kate and Sam are compromised and therefore can be leveraged. That's just how Vought does things. Of course the fall guys were the ones trying to do the right thing. Of course.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I enjoyed it. It did go a little Magneto/Xmen at the end and the ending is very ambiguous, I hope it gets another season. But The Boys must be reaching a logical end soon - you can't keep teasing Homelander's craziness or Butcher's vengeance and then stepping back. If S4 was the last, with a final conclusion to their arcs, I would be happy with that.