Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It it okay for me to stop supporting biden to avoid fascism yet? Because what he is talking about continuing it genocide. We're going to continue to to a genocide for some goddamn reason.

These 4 years, and the next 4 years are going to make me a very loud open borders advocate, like yelling at strangers in a bar style open borders advocate.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It it okay for me to stop supporting biden to avoid fascism yet? Because what he is talking about continuing it genocide. We're going to continue to to a genocide for some goddamn reason.

These 4 years, and the next 4 years are going to make me a very loud open borders advocate, like yelling at strangers in a bar style open borders advocate.

But Georgia and then the midterms!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    One thing that is fun about being aggressively pro-open borders is that it's hard to argue against without at least alluding to the 14 words if not directly saying them.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    He'll pivot any moment now.

Any. Moment. Now.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    One thing that is fun about being aggressively pro-open borders is that it's hard to argue against without at least alluding to the 14 words if not directly saying them.

Right-wingers be all like "you want open borders!!" at me, and I reply "no, I don't want borders at all."

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Watching again as people who voted for the lesser evil forget they voted for evil.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Watching again as people who voted for the lesser evil forget they voted for evil.

From the arguments I've read, I think the more realistic and straightforward explanation is that they agree with the 'lesser evil', as disappointing as that might be for me to realize.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Any. Moment. Now.

oh he's pivoting alright, just not in the good direction

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Dems love having the tools of authoritarianism when the GOP makes them for them.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Well that's some hot garbage right there.
    Edit: Biden's team walking back promises regarding immigration I mean. Y'all are fine folks.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Any. Moment. Now.

oh he's pivoting alright, just not in the good direction

270 degrees to the left is good, right?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

remember when biden told someone who was asking him questions about immigration policy to vote for trump, that was a good one

at this point maybe leftists need to start thinking about taking over the republican party, they're no less hostile to us than the democrats, and they're also not ideologically incapable of admitting shit is fucked

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

remember when biden told someone who was asking him questions about immigration policy to vote for trump, that was a good one

at this point maybe leftists need to start thinking about taking over the republican party, they're no less hostile to us than the democrats, and they're also not ideologically incapable of admitting shit is fucked

At least is we can convince them of some things, the rest will fall into line cause authoritarians

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Right-wingers be all like "you want open borders!!" at me, and I reply "no, I don't want borders at all."

ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT! We found the mole folks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

The one thing Trump and The Squad have in common is that it is a very good time to be critics of the old guard party leaders. Everyone not in the D.C. bubble gets that the American government is deeply dysfunctional and the experience of being a non-rich American gets grimmer by the year.

The Dems keep fighting against that because the party is captured by senior citizens who can’t admit their biggest life accomplishments have been to drive the country into a ditch. That can’t last, if simply because mortality is going to catch up with them no matter how much hair dye they use.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    ... anyway so they determined that it was much safer to just tape a pair of storm matches to the side instead of using the classic burning rag, plus doing some light carving so it broke in the proper spots.

Other countries tried mass producing them, too, back when they thought they were effective anti-tank weapons Great Britain tried making some weird white phosphorous concoction that kinda went nowhere after tests showed that being on fire didn't particularly affect tanks that weren't obsolete 1930s designs. They kinda shelved the idea and instead moved on to the infamous "sticky bomb" which was also incredibly flawed, though it was responsible for a few armour kills in North Africa.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel like Rice shouldn't have said that sentence because now everything is gravitating to it instead of what else was said/the context there. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems reasonable to say everything else in this besides that very dumb statement:
    Q: Regarding his immediate actions at the border, will the President-elect leave in place, at least initially, the CDC’s pandemic-related public health order under Title 42, which agents rely on to send back to Mexico more than 90 percent of those who cross the border illegally? If so, why?

Susan Rice: The President-elect is committed to restoring and honoring our asylum laws, including at the border, and many of the outgoing administration’s policies will be rolled back right away. The current administration has badly damaged our asylum laws and processing capacity at the border at great cost to migrants seeking asylum. Because of that, as well as the challenges presented by COVID-19, the Biden Administration will need time to fix the situation. Processing capacity at the border is not like a light that you can just switch on and off. Migrants and asylum seekers absolutely should not believe those in the region peddling the idea that the border will suddenly be fully open to process everyone on Day 1. It will not. We are inheriting a deeply damaged and broken infrastructure, and processing capacity must be restored and greatly expanded, especially in light of the current pandemic. Our priority is to reopen asylum processing at the border consistent with the capacity to do so safely and to protect public health, especially in the context of COVID-19. This effort will begin immediately but it will take months to develop the capacity that we will need to reopen fully.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    People taking something out of context to be outraged? I never!

• Options
    "Well our promises we made were never realistic in the first place" is technically a defense

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

the context is they said they'd do something as soon as they possibly could, and then after they won they walked back

also just in general there's not really any reason to take them at their word when someone asks when they're planning on doing something and the answer is "we'll get around to it"

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

is this out of context?

zjaitplugkfb.jpeg

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    On the MPP the main problem seems to be COVID-19 more than anything else, at least according to that interview.
    Q: How soon in his first 100 days will the President-elect rescind the “remain in Mexico” program, or Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP)? Are there any concerns associated with doing so, and what will happen with the thousands already waiting at the border for their court dates in the US?

Jake Sullivan: President-elect Biden will follow through on his commitment to end the MPP program early in his administration. MPP has been a disaster from the start and has led to a humanitarian crisis in northern Mexico. But putting the new policy into practice will take time. The current administration dismantled much of the necessary capacity to ensure the safe and orderly processing of migrants. We need time to increase processing capacity and to do so consistent with public health requirements. As we build up the necessary infrastructure, staffing, and procedures -- including increasing processing capacity at ports of entry and implementing COVID-19 protocols to protect public health -- we will restore due process protections and begin processing those asylum seekers who were enrolled into the program in a fair, safe, and orderly manner.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    And I bet they'll close gitmo any day now too

• Options
    a universal pandemic would be a pretty good reason to let people out of the ICE concentration camps if they're sincere about trying to fix things

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    a universal pandemic would be a pretty good reason to let people out of the ICE concentration camps if they're sincere about trying to fix things

No no no, if Dems do that, they'll be seen as Soft On Terrorism. And then they'll lose the votes of the Republicans that think they harvest adrenochrome from children!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I feel like if the Biden administration truly cared about immediately (or as near to "immediate" as is physically possible) closing the ICE camps, they could, you know, already have a plan in place, and maybe talk up said plan to the press.

Instead they throw out some weaselly bullshit about "increasing processing capacity" and "implementing protocols" and "restoring due process protections," so yeah I don't actually believe that they really give two shits about it.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    oh definitely they have absolutely no interest in doing anything about the concentration camps. obama built them after all!

i can't remember what news outlet it was, but a couple years ago during those two weeks were people pretended to care about children being separated from their parents to be sent to special children-only concentration camps, there was an article that had a photo of children in cages that they kept up for a couple days before someone realized that the photo was taken in 2015

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The VP of the man that created those camps on the first place ins't on a hurry to shut them down.

I'm shocked.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Being "tough on immigration" was Obama's signature outreach to the right for years. It pissed off leftists and human rights advocates, and he was sure that it would sway moderate conservatives to vote and work with his Administration. He got a lot of press touting the policy while scolding his critics for being unrealistic and not listening to the concerns of Real Americans worried about immigration.

And so, he didn't get any cooperation or votes from Republicans, and the next GOP president expanded the camps while deflecting - honestly, in this case - that he was just doing what Obama did. It's classic Obama.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I'll post it if people really want me to, or it is available on his twitter, but Trump just gave a speech where he called for higher direct payments to individuals, $2k to be exact, 4k for couples and lamenting the other non-covid related things in the bill.

Everything about it is a very Trump speech, and he even suggests that...for some reason...he may serve a second term?

The rest of it is absolute rubbish, but there is definitely a version of this speech that every single Democrat should have been calling press conferences for, for the past 48 hours, and all I can think is how badly the Democrats have been out-maneuvered throughout this process, ever since Pelosi said that they would be willing to compromise over a much smaller bill than previously passed the House.

Javen on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh Trump is still absolutely convinced he's gonna get enough people to challenge the election results on the 6th in conjunction with his call for armed (not outright stated but heavily implied) supporters to show up that day in DC.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    When you fail to argue that the other guy is stopping you from making things better, there's absolutely nothing stopping the other guy from arguing that you're stopping them from making things better.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I'll post it if people really want me to, or it is available on his twitter, but Trump just gave a speech where he called for higher direct payments to individuals, $2k to be exact, 4k for couples and lamenting the other non-covid related things in the bill.

Everything about it is a very Trump speech, and he even suggests that...for some reason...he may serve a second term?

The rest of it is absolute rubbish, but there is definitely a version of this speech that every single Democrat should have been calling press conferences for, for the past 48 hours, and all I can think is how badly the Democrats have been out-maneuvered throughout this process, ever since Pelosi said that they would be willing to compromise over a much smaller bill than previously passed the House.

And yet if those higher payments were actually in the bill Trump would be against them.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Columbus police murdered another guy today

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

And yet if those higher payments were actually in the bill Trump would be against them.

Most likely!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Lmao at Pelosi and Schumer talking big game about 2k now.

The message should've always been "600 sucks"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    Lmao at Pelosi and Schumer talking big game about 2k now.

The message should've always been "600 sucks"

People are quick to point out that Biden also gave a speech, talking about how willing he is to pass more direct relief once he's sworn in

Which is fine, but a key distinction that seems to continue to elude Democrats is: Biden didn't talk shit about the existing bill. Which seems like a pretty easy slam dunk, in terms of appealing to public opinion, because public opinion of the bill is that it's shit.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the ability to be the first one to take a stand is so powerful in swaying public opinion of who you are and the dnc never realizes this

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.