As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] has a new season, and you can kind of watch Urusei Yatsura instead.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

ahahahahah

are you just starting to watch it bzero? because yeah, that's the tip of the iceberg. wing goes places (into insanity)

nah I watched it in the 90s, I'm just being suddenly reminded how dumb and amazing it can be

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ph blake wrote: »
    Gurren Lagann ep 4 is weird. From what I understand, they had decided in advance to give that episode to a guest director they were friends with, who has a very, uh, quirky and distinctive style that is somewhat of an acquired taste.

There was a huge fan backlash at the time and it's kinda hard to find concrete information about the fallout, but from what I can tell it was always just meant to be a one off experimental episode.

It reminds me of when KyoAni tried to kill Lucky Star off despite the desperately hungry audience for the material with some of the worst direction for a slice of life show I'd ever seen for the first 5 or 6 episodes. Finally, they switched directors and it became a widely beloved mega hit and that director gave interviews like, "No, it is the children who are wrong."

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gurren Lagann ep 4 is weird. From what I understand, they had decided in advance to give that episode to a guest director they were friends with, who has a very, uh, quirky and distinctive style that is somewhat of an acquired taste.

There was a huge fan backlash at the time and it's kinda hard to find concrete information about the fallout, but from what I can tell it was always just meant to be a one off experimental episode.

Okay, here's my take regarding that:

Bringing in a guest director is fine, but don't do it in the early stage of your show.

You need to wait before doing that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Apparently it's that showrunner's thing? All of his shows either have wild ass fourth episodes with guest directors and a different animation style, or in one case he just skipped episode 4 entirely, declaring that his 13 episode show was actually 5 separate seasons (so 3 episodes per season, and then an abbreviated 5th season that was only one episode long).

Directors are fucking weird man

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I remember someone getting fired after that, for saying that the online comments were the equivalent of taking a huge sniff after someone farted.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

It reminds me of when KyoAni tried to kill Lucky Star off despite the desperately hungry audience for the material with some of the worst direction for a slice of life show I'd ever seen for the first 5 or 6 episodes. Finally, they switched directors and it became a widely beloved mega hit and that director gave interviews like, "No, it is the children who are wrong."

KyoAni didn't try to kill Lucky Star off. The original director was bad and got fired and replaced after 4 episodes. He also some really shitty views so they probably dodged a bullet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    KyoAni didn't try to kill Lucky Star off. The original director was bad and got fired and replaced after 4 episodes. He also some really shitty views so they probably dodged a bullet.

Huh. I tried that show a couple of years back, but it didn't grab me at all - 'twas decent enough, but ~ehhh. Didn't really understand why it was so well regarded, either, but figured it was a case of "just not for me", so I dropped it pretty quickly. But if you're telling me it gets a whole lot better a few episodes in, I may have to give it another try.

• Options

I was being dramatic. Obviously, they wanted the show to succeed but that director (imo) sucked real bad and was ruining the entire enterprise.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Tried Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki episode 1 out of curiosity.
    Hits way too close to home, except I'm also trashfire at the game I spend most of my time.

I think I'll continue watching just to keep arguing with the FeMC. Some people are born to be unhappy, dammit!

Random meetings of chance don't drop strangers into people's lives who make it their mission to "fix" another person, but that's fiction for you: the place where Narrative Causality is a thing and happy endings really exist.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Huh I only managed to watch 1 episode of Lucky Star and I was very much unimpressed. I guess I should try to push through those early eps?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Huh I only managed to watch 1 episode of Lucky Star and I was very much unimpressed. I guess I should try to push through those early eps?

Lucky Star was very much a product of its time. I'm not really sure it'll hold up anymore today.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Lucky Star was very much a product of its time. I'm not really sure it'll hold up anymore today.

To be fair, so am I.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

I was being dramatic. Obviously, they wanted the show to succeed but that director (imo) sucked real bad and was ruining the entire enterprise.

While the director is certainly a huge asshole and massive piece of arrogant shit who burned all his goodwill, people were definitely huge fans of it right from the get go. I distinctly remember huge flamewars particularly between people who thought the long segment on chocolate cornets was the best thing ever and people who thought it was boring crap. KyoAni has always had and cultivated a pretty rabid fanbase.
    Tried Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki episode 1 out of curiosity.
    Hits way too close to home, except I'm also trashfire at the game I spend most of my time.

I think I'll continue watching just to keep arguing with the FeMC. Some people are born to be unhappy, dammit!

Random meetings of chance don't drop strangers into people's lives who make it their mission to "fix" another person, but that's fiction for you: the place where Narrative Causality is a thing and happy endings really exist.

The second episode didn't have as awful a speech as the "everybody is born the same, there's no such thing as privilege", but it did have a moment where the popular jock guy was being an ass, so the girl calls him a loser, and the entire class breaks out in applause. It was like someone animated one of those bad Twitter stories. The rest of the episode was "Check out this harem! You thought he was reviled, but he's actually beloved by all the popular girls!" So...

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Just the opening dance/song I think has stood the ages

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lucky Star is bland and does not hold up like Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou

• Options
    Lucky Star is a mix of niche anime references and more broad, character based comedy. I haven't rewatched recently, but probably that latter stuff holds up fine. It's not like Nichijou was 100% on target either, some of that uber specific Japanese pun stuff was not at all fun to watch. Just a lot of... there must be a joke here... but how?

• Options
    Nichijou is the perfect comedy.

• Options

It's no Galaxy Angel.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Perfect!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I never watched Lucky Star but mainly because it came out during that short period after Haruhi's massive success where there were a bunch of other "zany" slice of life shows coming out trying to hop on that wave.

I figured it was just another one and ignored it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

It's no Dragon Half.

Also, Lucky Star had its moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIoZowCVCo

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    YOASOBI「怪物Monster」Official Music Video 3:28
    https://youtu.be/dy90tA3TT1c
    ●YOASOBI:https://twitter.com/YOASOBI_staff
    Composer : Ayase (https://twitter.com/ayase_0404)
    Vocal : ikura (https://twitter.com/ikutalilas )

●MUSIC VIDEO
    -ディレクション Direction
    三皷梨菜(ハイパーボール) Rina Mitsuzumi(Hyperbole Inc.)

-モーショングラフィックス Motion Graphics
    松田潤(ツー・ワイディー) Jun Matsuda(TWO WAIDEE INC.)
    カフウ(Argument) Cafuu (Argument)

-2Dアニメーション 2D Animation
    オオニシカオリ Kaori Onishi

-デザイン協力 Design Support
    AIりんな AI Rinna

★インスト音源はこちら
    https://piapro.jp/t/yr5P

Context: Enjoy full opening song of Beastars season 2, it's a bop

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh hey, it's been a couple of weeks now so I should probably get around to giving my thoughts on Higurashi: Matsuribayashi!

It was certainly a journey, but I'll be honest - this chapter was not my favourite by a long shot. Which is a shame since it's the finale! There were amazing moments in there, some great payoffs, and it wrapped things up in a more-or-less satisfying way... but as an overall reading experience, it was an active drag for wayyyyy too much of the time.

[Full Higurashi spoilers]
    The bad:
    - The prologue, and more broadly, Takano. It was nice to see her humanised a lot more, but I think overall I just don't find her to be a compelling antagonist. That's probably part of what made the prologue a complete slog. I was so happy to be out of it - I feel like it could have been a quarter of the length and effectively communicated all of the necessary beats. But unfortunately, that brings me to...
    - Piecing together the timeline. After the low of the prologue, I was so excited to be introduced to this idea of putting together the perfect timeline! But the execution... *sigh*... it wasn't long before I was feeling the boredom here too. I think the main problem is that there weren't a lot of actual reveals? I can only think of one or two important things I learned from this segment, and there are just SO MANY fragments to go through. The order that I could access the fragments in also seemed sort of broken? Like at one point I was pretty much at a brick wall until I randomly clicked on one that required Rena to be "forgiven" or something, and it worked - in spite of me doing literally no Rena fragments.
    - Irie's "awesome" moment... jojo pose aside. Everyone else hit the mark when it was their chance to shine, and Irie's moment is just the worst part of his character dialed up to 13. No thanks.

The okay
    - The epilogue. So short! I was so happy that everyone made it through, but I was a little bummed that we learned so little of where they went from there. I mean, take some of the fat out of the prologue and give me alllll the fat on the epilogue, please and thank you.
    - In a story about trusting and confiding in the people close to you, it's a LITTLE undercut that Rika never really did tell the gang the full truth. She feels so alone because only her and Hanyuu know about the time loop... and then she just... never tells them. Even after they've bought into the massive conspiracy narrative that turned out to be true. I feel like either this or them more explicitly coming to remember their past lives, and learning from them, would have been so much more emotionally satisfying. I mean, it's the best part of Keiichi's arc in Tsumihoroboshi!
    - Hanyuu. Her growth was great, and she was believable as a rallying influence... but there being no attempt at an explanation for why she was able to manifest a body, and the fact that she's able to do supernatural stuff with nobody really questioning it? It feels a bit... convenient. Almost lazy.

The great:
    - Pretty much everything past the agonising setup. Special shoutouts to Akasaka's van punch, Ooishi taking out Ootaka, and Shotgun Kasai! Oh and, of course, the kids taking out a whole secret army unit with guerilla warfare.

Chapter rankings:

1: Minagoroshi
    2: Tsumihoroboshi
    3: Watanagashi
    4: Onikakushi
    5: Matsuribayashi
    6: Meakashi
    7: Himatsubushi
    8: Tatarigoroshi

And the final ranking of the gang:
    1: Rena
    2: Mion
    3: Keiichi
    4: Rika
    5: Hanyuu
    6: Satoko
    7: Shion

Thinking about it, I just have one big remaining question mark:

[Full Higurashi spoilers]
    Why did Takano's fake dead double not show up in Onikakushi? I can't think of any possible reason.

Also... in the intervening time I miiiight have fully caught up on Higurashi Gou. But that's a separate discussion, especially the most recent episode...

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd give the ending of Higurashi a solid "okay".
    I get why it was like that, but it was pretty disappointing that the final chapter focused so hard on all the adult characters to the detriment of the child characters we'd been following the entire time. Chapters 6 and 7 were the high points of the series.

Not from chapter 8 but my dark horse favorite moment was
    In chapter 3 when Takano picks up Keiichi after he murders Satoko's uncle and spends the whole car ride going "Hey. Hey. I can't help but notice you aren't pointing out how suspicious I'm being. Aren't you gonna ask where Tomitake is? Aren't you going to point out how I totally murdered him? Huh? Huh?!" and Keiichi just goes "Lady I have no idea what you're talking about".

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd give the ending of Higurashi a solid "okay".
    I get why it was like that, but it was pretty disappointing that the final chapter focused so hard on all the adult characters to the detriment of the child characters we'd been following the entire time. Chapters 6 and 7 were the high points of the series.

Not from chapter 8 but my dark horse favorite moment was
    In chapter 3 when Takano picks up Keiichi after he murders Satoko's uncle and spends the whole car ride going "Hey. Hey. I can't help but notice you aren't pointing out how suspicious I'm being. Aren't you gonna ask where Tomitake is? Aren't you going to point out how I totally murdered him? Huh? Huh?!" and Keiichi just goes "Lady I have no idea what you're talking about".

Yuuuup!
    Like, the guerilla warfare stuff was great and all, but that's their entire contribution once everything has been set into motion. They built up the adult characters just fine (Irie's issues aside), and with the nature of the conspiracy it wouldn't make sense to leave everything to some relatively powerless kids, but... I care about them! Even if the adult stuff has to happen, make it happen more in the background and leave the spotlight on the gang!

Regarding the dark horse moment:
    It's retroactively ridiculous how obvious they were with Takano's villainy. I more or less forgot about the fact that she obviously had something to do with Tomitake's death, right up until the full reveal. Her faking her own death really threw me off the sccent!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    congratulations on finishing chapter 8, you've now unlocked the ability to watch every higurashi video essay from this channel
    (i'll post this one about higu adaptations since you were asking about the 2006 anime, but all of them are worth your time)
    https://youtu.be/ng2BRcDLB3E

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Cells at Work Code Black's fourth episode has white blood cells being tentacle raped to death by gonnorrhea.

So, I think I can stick a pin in this franchise and call myself finished with it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    congratulations on finishing chapter 8, you've now unlocked the ability to watch every higurashi video essay from this channel
    (i'll post this one about higu adaptations since you were asking about the 2006 anime, but all of them are worth your time)
    https://youtu.be/ng2BRcDLB3E

Thank you! I'd had my eye on one of her videos a while (the Shion one), being able to watch stuff without fear of spoilers was one of the motivators that helped my power through the slower parts of Matsuribayashi!

I'd definitely like to read the manga at some point, and that look at the art has definitely made me want it more! I can't really justify buying the whole physical set, but maybe I'll look into bookwalker...

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    God, V-Hit (How to Fight) is SO GOOD.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Watched the first couple of episodes of I'm a Spider, So What? and there is a lot of screaming.

A lot.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes, because it's already shown that it wasn't just the spider, but her entire class (and teacher) that made the trip and reincarnated into different people/creatures. None of them seemed to know each other from the get-go either, so they've all had to figure out what's going on and then if anyone they know got transported too. And we've crossed into "people in an isekai know they're in an isekai" territory with this one, as well as the standard RPG mechanics for the world.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The manga is a really fun no thinking romp that somehow remains interesting.

I will watch when it's finished for sure.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hello Anime thread I dont post here much but man the OP of Log Horizon S3 is some god awful noise

Also I wasnt really into the first episode.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Well Digimon took a twist I was not fucking expecting
    Patamon armor digivolved. Thats one way to keep Angemon on the sideline

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It's no Dragon Half.

You know, when you think about it, there's really a sort of weird irony in having Aya Hirano, who is really a very good singer, voice your character, and then have her make sure to do a great impression of someone singing terribly.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I believe most of the episodes' animations were done by different animation directors and teams, it's just that one particular director is zanier than most. There are a few directors who did multiple episodes but Gurren Lagann had a lot of directors by design. It was kind of Gainax's calling card and their best trait: they liked handing the reins off to lots of different people even within a single series. Sometimes they even let total newbies do it which is wild and was certainly a good way to get the Talent practical experience.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

It's no Dragon Half.

You know, when you think about it, there's really a sort of weird irony in having Aya Hirano, who is really a very good singer, voice your character, and then have her make sure to do a great impression of someone singing terribly.

not just irony, that's real talent. being intentionally bad like that, with great comic timing and in character is just a demonstration of her impressive vocal capabilities. okay, it's also definitely intentionally ironic; I mean with all the Haruhi references it's clear that the metahumor is something KyoAni were well aware of but it's a perfect multi-layered gag.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    AoT here to remind you war is hell

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

That episode was insanity.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The moment they first showed some scouts zipping through the background with omni-gear I thought "oh, the Marleyans are not ready for what's about to happen"

I really appreciated Jaw's fearful bafflement that normal people were coming to fight him as a titan. Yeah dog, they've been fighting titans their whole life...

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    AoT definitely improves a lot with the anime adaptation, I must say.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.