Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I hope, with everything going on, that the GOP just melts into nothing.

Even if gross conservatism will eventually rise again from the primordialesque ooze that seeps from the gelatin that once was the Republican Party, it'll at least offer some respite.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus one of the speakers at this years RNC was arrested for shooting another person in the stomach during a dispute.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/records-williamson-nurse-facing-charge-after-shooting-woman-in-abdomen

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I hope, with everything going on, that the GOP just melts into nothing.

Even if gross conservatism will eventually rise again from the primordialesque ooze that seeps from the gelatin that once was the Republican Party, it'll at least offer some respite.

I feel the GOP will tear itself apart like wild dogs in both the loyal to the troll and not loyal going at it for the next epoch sadly

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ow. My brain.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/us/politics/trump-white-house-coronavirus.html
    In several phone calls last weekend from the presidential suite at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Mr. Trump shared an idea he was considering: When he left the hospital, he wanted to appear frail at first when people saw him, according to people with knowledge of the conversations. But underneath his button-down dress shirt, he would wear a Superman T-shirt, which he would reveal as a symbol of strength when he ripped open the top layer. He ultimately did not go ahead with the stunt.

And then invite small children to tour his chocolate factory.

I mean, if he had tried the Wonka somersault fakeout, that probably would have been the end right there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I think the survival of the GOP is largely dependent on whether we can reverse voter disenfranchisement, fix gerrymandering and restore the VRA.

Do that and the GOP basically disappears as a functional party. Their policies are deeply unpopular and often hurt their own constituents. They're kept in power by rigging the system and allowing a disproportionate amount of electoral power to wielded by a relatively small subset of voters who are often single issue or hilariously ill-informed.

They survive because people don't pay attention to their rat fuckery. Now a lot of people are paying attention and this is an opportune moment to strike them a blow they can't recover from.

I don't know what happens from there. They could splinter into a few smaller sects of varying degrees of radicalism without a unifying cult of personality.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Somehow the RNC has gotten worse with time as a speaker was just charged after shooting another person in the abdomen.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/records-williamson-nurse-facing-charge-after-shooting-woman-in-abdomen
    WILLIAMSON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) — A Williamson woman who made headlines after she traveled to New York to help treat COVID-19 patients has been charged after court records said she shot another woman.
    Police Chief Grady Dotson said Thorn shot the woman in the abdomen and claims the shooting was self-defense.

Police confirmed that Thorn, who also goes by the name Amy Ford, is a nurse who traveled to New York to help COVID patients. Thorn also was invited to attend the Republican National Convention.

Dotson said the victim is doing well and has non-life-threatening injuries.
    https://nypost.com/2020/10/10/nurse-who-spoke-at-2020-rnc-busted-for-shooting-woman/
    Also known as Amy Ford, the name she used when she spoke on the opening night of the RNC, Thorn became something of a local hero because of her efforts to fight the virus and was later honored at a White House ceremony.
    Williamson Police Chief Grady Dotson said Thorn claimed she had become fearful for her safety and had told Whitt she had a gun. “She went to the car and got the gun out of the car,” Dotson said, local news outlet the Mingo Messenger reported.
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Can someone help me parse this and make the best choice on my ballot?

I admit, I'm not savvy enough to all the context to really know what to respond here that would benefit the Democratic cause the best.

https://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/assets/pdf/election-results/2020/2020-public-question-03-english.pdf
    CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO CHANGE THE LEGISLATIVE REDISTRICTING SCHEDULE IF CENSUS DATA IS DELAYED

Do you approve amending the Constitution to change when new legislative districts are created if the federal census data is delayed?

The current COVID-19 pandemic has delayed census data collection. If New Jersey does not receive the census data in a timely manner, new legislative districts may not be ready in time for State legislative elections in the year ending in one.

This change to the redistricting schedule will allow legislators to be elected that year from their existing districts for their two-year term in office. The new districts will be used starting with the next scheduled general election for the State legislature.

INTERPRETIVE STATEMENT

This constitutional amendment changes when new legislative districts are created if the federal census data is delayed.

The United States Constitution requires that a census be taken every ten years to count the people living in the country. Census data is then used to create new legislative districts to ensure residents have equal representation from elected officials. However, the current COVID-19 pandemic has delayed census data collection. This may delay census data to the states and may affect the creation of new legislative districts.

The State Constitution requires an Apportionment Commission to create new legislative districts every ten years after the federal census is completed. If the census data is delayed, the new legislative districts may not be created in a timely manner to hold elections.

This constitutional amendment requires the commission to delay creating the new districts if the Governor receivesthe federal census data after February 15 of the year ending in one. The commission will adopt the new districts after the November general election, but not later than March 1 of the year ending in two.

The new districts will be used starting with legislative elections in the year ending in three. They will continue to be used until new districts are again created by the Apportionment Commission after the next federal census.For the June primary and November general elections in the year ending in one, Senators and Assembly members will use their existing districts to run for a term of two years. The old districts will also be in effect in the year ending in two if any legislative election is held in that year.

This amendment requires the commission to begin conducting its business when the Governor receives the census data. It also requires the eleventh member of the commission to be appointed by the Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court within one month after the Governor receives the census data.

Nothing in this amendment will alter the appointment of the members of the commission made by the State political party chairs pursuant to Article IV, Section III, paragraph 1 of the State Constitution on or before November 15, and certified by the Secretary of State on or before December 1, of the year in which the census is taken.

• Options
    I'm leaning toward yes, I think? But I don't know. Can someone politically smarter than me help me figure this out? I don't really even know what "year ending in one," "year ending in two," and "year ending in three" means.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Year ending in 1 = 2021, etc.

The proposal says that New Jersey should use its existing districts and not redraw maps for an extra legislative term because of concerns over the census due to COVID (and Trump). Seems like nonsense to me, since there's not really a mechanism to redo the census that I know of or fix the errors.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    A brief look on ballotpedia makes it sound ok?
    https://ballotpedia.org/New_Jersey_Public_Question_3,_Delayed_State_Legislative_Redistricting_Amendment_(2020)

It looks like currently the law is that districts must be redrawn 1 month after the census is completed. but since the census is taking longer this year due to everything, the proposal is to keep the current districts until 2023 or until the census data is all collected.

Looks like NJ Democrats supported the amendment and republicans were against.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Resigning is basically admitting you're losing, which Trump will never do.

He does regularly flounce from things that don't adhere to his personal script enough. Remember all those advisory and investigatory commissions he had set up at the start of his term which all got tweet shutdowns as soon as the started questioning whatever his current narratives were? He absolutely lost several of those and quit those particular games to halt further losing.

I don't buy that Trump's at all likely to resign because there's legal and social power involved in the position, but if he decided to pick up his ball and flee the cougo home because at the end of October Rasmussen's saying things like "Biden's up by not zero in deepest Alabama" it wouldn't be entirely out of character for him.

• Options
    A brief look on ballotpedia makes it sound ok?
    https://ballotpedia.org/New_Jersey_Public_Question_3,_Delayed_State_Legislative_Redistricting_Amendment_(2020)

It looks like currently the law is that districts must be redrawn 1 month after the census is completed. but since the census is taking longer this year due to everything, the proposal is to keep the current districts until 2023 or until the census data is all collected.

Looks like NJ Democrats supported the amendment and republicans were against.

Thanks! I totally forgot about Ballotpedia!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ballot showed up today, so I immediately filled it out. Glad that’s done.

Gonna wait until Monday to drop it off though.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

I have my voters stuff but not my ballot yet. I'm big mad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Dropping mine off on Tuesday. Not sure they’ll be open Monday, being Columbus Day.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Dropping mine off on Tuesday. Not sure they’ll be open Monday, being Columbus Day.

I have a drop box that's outside of city hall, so its always open.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

I have my voters stuff but not my ballot yet. I'm big mad.

I've got my ballot filled out in my head already. I'm going to drive to the county elections office and drop it off same day.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't decided if I am mailing on monday, or taking it to a dropbox. Tending to latter

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    august wrote: »

Wife is an RN and says it could be infiltration bruising which doesn't necessarily show immediately but that he is probably just getting IV fluids.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Got the email confirmation that my ballot was accepted. We mailed it in on Monday from the post office. So, slightly longer than I was expecting compared to some postcards we've sent to friends, but just by a day or two. Yay doing a democracy!

sbaefxqdaw74.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The proposal says that New Jersey should use its existing districts and not redraw maps for an extra legislative term because of concerns over the census due to COVID (and Trump). Seems like nonsense to me, since there's not really a mechanism to redo the census that I know of or fix the errors.

I thought you could theoretically redo the census whenever you wanted, just that it's expensive. There's a maximum time between census counts, but no minimum time?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm voting in person early on the 28th

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm off on election day so I'll be voting in person, but definitely keeping the option to call in sick the following day depending on the returns.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm off on election day so I'll be voting in person, but definitely keeping the option to call in sick the following day depending on the returns.

everyone should still be keeping in mind that we very likely could not have a winner declared on election night

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The trump campaigns current strategy seems to be: kill our supporters

Trump is planning new rallies

This one's a Twitter thread:

Pence's rally in Florida seems to have been a nightmare. Few masks, no distancing, no crowd size limit, filled with seniors from a retirement community. Piles of old people passing out from the heat.

It's a bold move, Cotton

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I'm leaning toward yes, I think? But I don't know. Can someone politically smarter than me help me figure this out? I don't really even know what "year ending in one," "year ending in two," and "year ending in three" means.

My wife and I both voted yes and our interpretation was basically what Ahava posted.

Our leg is currently bound to produce new districts on a timetable where the 2020 census might not be available. They want to put a mechanism in place so that they can delay redrawing slightly.

If Republicans were against it I assume it's because the state is continuingly becoming more diverse and that a redraw of districts probably costs them another seat basically permanently (as long as the GOP continually loses latino and Asian voters)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Don't think this was mentioned. A federal judge blocked texas whole one ballot box per district thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/politics/texas-ballot-drop-boxes/index.html

and it's allowed now =/

fucking texas

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Don't think this was mentioned. A federal judge blocked texas whole one ballot box per district thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/politics/texas-ballot-drop-boxes/index.html

and it's allowed now =/

fucking texas

A ruling made by judges where the positions opened up in 2012, 2013, and 2015, but were kept open until Trump could fill them. Who exactly was packing the courts?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Biden changed his answer on court packing to "the only court packing you should be asking about is what the Republicans are doing right now."

It's a stupid "gotcha" that the media desperately wants a soundbite over. Packing the courts (if its even possible with the Senate) is entirely legal and Constitutional. It's been done multiple times in the past. It's not some massive power grab that they want to imply it is.

Meanwhile, we literally have the President and Vice President refusing to answer whether they will peacefully transition power if they lose. It's literally the easiest answer in the world to lie about. The fact that they *won't* commit to it, should have the media non-stop hounding them on that question every time they're in front of a camera.

Roz on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Senator from Hawai'i pointing out how Senate Republicans have stood with Trump on everything...until he called for more economic relief.

Some of the senators. There's more than a few who are currently sweating things out in tight races where the polls are turning to their competition.

There's a battle brewing in the GOP over this. Give it another week and another set of polls showing the senate flipping and I'm sure you'll have a few more opinions changed.

The basic problem is that all the GOP Congresspeople think another Tea Party wave is coming. Probably fueled by Trumpism and Qanon and all that shit. And they don't wanna be on the wrong side of a "Big Government Spending" bill when that primary happens.

It doesn't matter what the ones who might want the vote so they can boost their numbers this election need. The rest want to not get primaried. And since McConnell is not really that competent at getting all his people in line, the Senate is paralyzed.

The only thing they can actually accomplish is confirming hack judges because at this point that's the only affirmative thing the entire GOP caucus agrees on.

shryke on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'd say eat a dick Lindsey but...nothing wrong with it if that's what you are into.

How about choke on a dick?

Or jus choke because you quarantined once your COVID test came back and you los
    Roz wrote: »
    Biden changed his answer on court packing to "the only court packing you should be asking about is what the Republicans are doing right now."

It's a stupid "gotcha" that the media desperately wants a soundbite over. Packing the courts (if its even possible with the Senate) is entirely legal and Constitutional. It's been done multiple times in the past. It's not some massive power grab that they want to imply it is.

Meanwhile, we literally have the President and Vice President refusing to answer whether they will peacefully transition power if they lose. It's literally the easiest answer in the world to lie about. The fact that they *won't* commit to it, should have the media non-stop hounding them on that question every time they're in front of a camera.

They do refuse to go in front anything but hand picked cameras tossing them softballs, or pretend they don't hear and run away.

So even if the media wanted to hold them to it, they are cowering away and bunkering up.

• Options
    kime wrote: »

I thought you could theoretically redo the census whenever you wanted, just that it's expensive. There's a maximum time between census counts, but no minimum time?

Weekly census from here on out.

Or just install a census taker in every home. Like a live in maid but instead of them doing anything productive they just count the number of one nighters you have.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    august wrote: »
    Here's a link to a Twitter thread of someone claiming to be an MD making some alarming claims wrt to the photo in question, if any of you medical folks feel like weighing in.

In reading this thread, the most low-key dunk was in the middle of ruling out alternative explanations:
    I explained why it would be unlikely for this to be Remdesivir here: <inserts a link>

We have no evidence that Trump is on antipsychotics.

The symptoms of steroid withdrawal are different, as I discuss in this thread:

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

Or just install a census taker in every home. Like a live in maid but instead of them doing anything productive they just count the number of one nighters you have.

honestly, the way things are now, google and amazon could probably collectively instantly do a better census than the census bureau

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

honestly, the way things are now, google and amazon could probably collectively instantly do a better census than the census bureau

I mean, no. There's a reason census data is so prized over market research, and it isn't because it's free.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    In other election news I guess the Taliban has officially endorsed Donald Trump for a second term.

Mujib Mashal is a NYT senior correspondent on Afghanistan.
    Gems in this piece:

1. Taliban noted it thinks highly of Trump's "America first" creed.

2. "Trump was much more honest with us than we thought..stunned with his offer to meet in Camp David”

3. “Trump might be ridiculous for rest of the world, but..sane & wise man for Taliban”
    *snip*
    The Taliban on Trump: "We hope he will win the election" and withdraw U.S. troops

I don't mean to drag this over from the other page, but Hahahahahhahahahahahaha that rumor about having taliban at camp david to sign agreements on 9/11 was true. Holy shit!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm voting in person early on the 28th

Early voting opens on the 19th here.

Which also happens to be Alaska day, so I get that day off.

Hopefully if there's a big line, it goes fast.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I do not relish how Trump's base is going to interpret Pelosi's move. This is basically going to be viewed as confirmation of every conspiracy theory they've been harboring about the "Deep State" going after Trump.

I kind of fear this may have real, awful consequences, given what we just saw in Michigan.

You could honestly say this about every single thing Democrats do. We can't live our lives based on whether or not crazy people will be crazy.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Chanus wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Forbes Reporter

ABC15: "On packing the Supreme Court... why did you not answer that question and are you willing to today?"

Harris: "I'm answering the question, which is the voters need to first decide who's the next president of the United States, period. That's the answer to the question."

This is some good message discipline. The media keeps trying to make this a thing, and they keep not getting it.

the more I think about this the more I dislike it.
    If you're unwilling to disclose your policies then why should anyone vote for you.

It's tolerable this time around because Trump is a useless nazi but I'm hoping this doesn't become the bar society aims for.

the policy is literally "it depends on whether or not we have to consider it" and that's exactly what they're disclosing

Also, besides just winning the election, we'd need to have at least 52 seats in the Senate for packing the court to be an option. Better not to claim it now, than do so. Then look weak when it becomes impossible.

And honestly... Biden and Harris are centrists. If they actually decide to pack the courts, I'll be shocked.

Um... I'm a little late. This thread moves fast!

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.