Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Uh, don't you test positive for COVID for like months after an infection? You aren't really contagious but that markers are still there?

Only on antibody tests. PCRs tests no

You can test PCR positive for a long time after an infection, and you can be taken off isolation precautions before testing RT-PCR negative as well, depending on hospital protocol

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Uh, don't you test positive for COVID for like months after an infection? You aren't really contagious but that markers are still there?

Only on antibody tests. PCRs tests no

That said he’s still very likely to test positive on a PCR test right now. The man is probably still actively shedding virus

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    No way NBC has the gonads to not show this if they schedule it. He'll show up late, refuse the test, whatever.

So pathetic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Absalon wrote: »
    Trump has apparently asked for a schedule that has him on the road every day up til the 3rd.

That would halfway kill an old man without covid. And it will definitely kill many Americans, most of them his voters.

This is the problem with Trump having contracted covid

Well, I mean, one of many, but

Now Trump doesn't give the tiniest fuck about covid. He got it, it wasn't a serious case, and now he doesn't have to worry about getting it again.

So the tiny iota of caring about covid that Trump possessed is now gone. Rallies everyday, because they feed his ego, and if that kills rally attendees then who gives a fuck. And if the white house is a constant covid hotspot than who cares.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

PSA: don't disinfect your ballot.

Sacramento area reporter

...maybe some folks shouldn’t vote.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Trump has apparently asked for a schedule that has him on the road every day up til the 3rd.

That would halfway kill an old man without covid. And it will definitely kill many Americans, most of them his voters.

This is the problem with Trump having contracted covid

Well, I mean, one of many, but

Now Trump doesn't give the tiniest fuck about covid. He got it, it wasn't a serious case, and now he doesn't have to worry about getting it again.

So the tiny iota of caring about covid that Trump possessed is now gone. Rallies everyday, because they feed his ego, and if that kills rally attendees then who gives a fuck. And if the white house is a constant covid hotspot than who cares.

Not that I want people to be harmed in any way by a communicable disease, but the people who choose to go to these stupid rallies (which they can easily see on TV, since the media can't help but broadcast them) are going there of their own free will. No one is holding a gun to their head and saying, "Go to this place where a large group of people will all be very close to each other for an hour or two while someone *who had Covid recently* yells nonsense at you, all while spraying you with his spittle.

It's the easiest choice in the world, even if you're a fan of his, to say, "No, this is silly. I should stay home." It's like reading a choose your own adventure book where you literally make the most safe and obvious choice and they're just utterly refusing to do any of that. That's on them.

The people I actually feel sorry for are the people that they come into contact with later who didn't go to the rally and now might get something from the dummy that did. But the people who actually go and then get sick? I have no sympathy for that kind of decision making.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Sacramento area reporter

imo those ballots in the picture are still clearly legible and should be processed unless there's some hidden reason it'd be infeasible or cost-prohibitive to do so

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Sacramento area reporter

imo those ballots in the picture are still clearly legible and should be processed unless there's some hidden reason it'd be infeasible or cost-prohibitive to do so

Here is the registrar of voters from that county clearing that up

To clarify, these ballots were brought in by voters who surrendered their ballots and received new ones and voted their choices. If a damaged ballot is cast, it would be remade with several teams reviewing and confirming the voter intent before it would be counted

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i can see where someone well-meaning arrives at "well there's a pandemic going on i should disinfect this ballot because it's going to go to someone else"

i cannot in my heart condemn them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah who would have been able to predict trump and GOP saying “there’s rampant voter fraud by the dems!” would be a signal to their supporters that since the dems are doing it you can too. Trump and the GOP are breaking democracy in so many ways

Prohass on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Well it's the same play they came up with after #metoo started, where they tried repeatedly to pin bogus sex harassment charges on innocent people in an attempt to show how easily such a thing could be abused (and with one exception it never worked). Now it's "see how easy it is for us to commit vote fraud? that's why mail in ballots are bad!"

• Options
    I think the play for this one was to have piles of 'uncounted' Trump votes in a state they were never going to win to reveal after the election.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think the play for this one was to have piles of 'uncounted' Trump votes in a state they were never going to win to reveal after the election.

Problem with that is, it only works if you advertise the drop box far and wide so that people actually come by and drop their ballots in it. And then the election authorities get wind of it and shut it down as we see above.

edit: and if one really wanted to carry out a scheme like yours, it would be far better to organize a secret facebook/whatever group where people would fill out their ballots and then just never hand them in. Collect them in a bag, toss it in a ditch sometime after the 3rd, then conveniently summon the police to "find" it later.

madparrot on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Surely this fantasy overhaul our entire elected government shit has little to do with 2020. None of the candidates are running on it.

To bring it back on topic, even if REapportionment isn't a real issue this election, apportionment kinda is. If we can win back some state legislatures, the 2021 redistricting can maybe undo some of the fuckery that they were able to accomplish with the 2010 tea party wave. Case A in why local votes are still pretty freaking important

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I think if Republicans are opposed to giving DC and PR statehood on the grounds of “We don’t need more states,” I’m more than happy to compromise by combining the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Make ‘em two states, if you want.

But don’t tell me those five empty states full of buffalo and potato farms deserve more representation than Puerto Rico, which is our 29th most populous state territory.

Following up on this with some population math:

Puerto Rico: 3.2 million
    High Plains States (The Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho): 5 million
    Great Plains States (Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska): 12 million

If the entire Plains corridor from Oklahoma to Idaho was combined into a single megastate (and it really should be, it’s a goddamn wasteland), it would still only be the fifth most populous state.

Washington DC also has relatively the same population as the three least-populous states.

• Options
    250000 ballots returned in CA in the first week, apparently?

In 2016, it was 13,000

The tracker isn't a blue check, but they've been around for a while.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    those numbers can't be right, obvious fraud, CONSPIRACY etc etc.
    it simply can't be that Trump and his cronies are so awful (and dangerous) that lots and lots of people want very much to get rid of them.
    :P

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Sacramento area reporter

Not counting those is utter bullshit. A computer can’t read it but a human can 100% clearly see the indicated preference and should be able to manually add it the totals.

In the UK they hand count all ballots and the apocryphal story is that if you wrote ‘not this bastard’ next to single candidate with no other marks then it would count as a vote for them due to being a clear mark next to a specific candidate.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think if Republicans are opposed to giving DC and PR statehood on the grounds of “We don’t need more states,” I’m more than happy to compromise by combining the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Make ‘em two states, if you want.

But don’t tell me those five empty states full of buffalo and potato farms deserve more representation than Puerto Rico, which is our 29th most populous state territory.

If the entire Plains corridor from Oklahoma to Idaho was combined into a single megastate (and it really should be, it’s a goddamn wasteland), it would still only be the fifth most populous state.

Washington DC also has relatively the same population as the three least-populous states.

Good to know I'm either a buffalo or a potato farmer.

But setting aside that what you're proposing isn't even an option I can't imagine why an island or the literal capital of the country would have a much higher population density than a region where the vast majority, and I mean an absurdly large vast majority, is dedicated to farming/ranching.

You should really let this one go.

Please note because I love you so I didn't even tell you to go fuck yourself for describing where I live as "a goddamn wasteland" or even politely suggest you be unwilfully be dropped off in the geographical center of the Sahara so you can see what a goddamned wasteland actually is.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

So what's the Republican play with these? Gather a bunch of ballots and then not turn them in, or something? (My guess is that Democrats are more likely to want to vote by mail than Republicans.)

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Sacramento area reporter

Not counting those is utter bullshit. A computer can’t read it but a human can 100% clearly see the indicated preference and should be able to manually add it the totals.

In the UK they hand count all ballots and the apocryphal story is that if you wrote ‘not this bastard’ next to single candidate with no other marks then it would count as a vote for them due to being a clear mark next to a specific candidate.

Not this bastard would be rejected as the intent would be unclear, plenty of examples of ballots like that being rejected (For example at the Scottish indy ref people who wrote "No" in the No box had their ballots rejected as unclear (but those who wrote Yes in the Yes box were accepted as clear intent))

However writing "Wank" next to every candidate bar one against which you write "Good Guy" has been accepted as a ballot of clear intent and accepted.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I changed my plan from voting early via mail-in ballot that I actually drop off at the federal courthouse in the drop box to voting early in person specifically because I will be 100% unsurprised when I see stories about someone dumping lighter fluid into a drop box and then tossing a match in at 3am.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My guess is to catch and burn and ballots put in since "only democrat frauds vote by mail" and they are planning to go to the polls and vote while coughing on each other like real american heroes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Good to know I'm either a buffalo or a potato farmer.

But setting aside that what you're proposing isn't even an option I can't imagine why an island or the literal capital of the country would have a much higher population density than a region where the vast majority, and I mean an absurdly large vast majority, is dedicated to farming/ranching.

You should really let this one go.

Please note because I love you so I didn't even tell you to go fuck yourself for describing where I live as "a goddamn wasteland" or even politely suggest you be unwilfully be dropped off in the geographical center of the Sahara so you can see what a goddamned wasteland actually is.

I’ve lived in West Texas, I’m intimately familiar with wastelands.

The point isn’t “lol the Plains suck,” the point is the plains states are vastly, shamefully over-represented in national politics, not just in terms of population (though that’s the most important consideration) but also in terms of GDP and tax burden.

As well, I don’t think combining the plains states is politically feasible or even really something people are talking about seriously, I’m merely pointing out that, in light of the deluge of right-wing rhetoric we’re seeing against efforts to rebalance voting disparity, there’s a huge gulf between those taking points and reality.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Ok but West Texas is not in any way shape or form representative of much of anything above Texas.

I don't disagree with you that the plains states are over represented at all. I do feel that to a certain degree that's necessary. For example I think plenty of more populous states in the southwest would be very happy to pump the aquifers under the plains states to themselves at which point yes, the plains would actually become wastelands. I mean Ideally that wouldn't happen because everyone involved would recognize how terrible of an idea that would be for a whole bunch of reasons but I'm not confident it would matter.

This of course ignores that the fracking industry is more than happy to potentially shit in and all over said aquifers but apparently that's ok because lol oil >_<

Also I'm offended personally that Puerto Rico and especially D.C. aren't already states. It's more complicated than that for everything but D.C. but the fact that my country has "territories" that don't have representation has been a grievance of mine since I realized the implications of it (which admittedly was far too late in life because wow does US History gloss over the territories).

*edit*
    Damnit now I want you to fly down to TX so that I can take a road trip there to meet up with you so we can drive around to all of the best BBQ spots and then drive up through the plains states so you can see what they're actually like. Then we can then spend a multi-day train ride back to Seattle getting boozy :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Also I'm offended personally that Puerto Rico and especially D.C. aren't already states. It's more complicated than that for everything but D.C. but the fact that my country has "territories" that don't have representation has been a grievance of mine since I realized the implications of it (which admittedly was far too late in life because wow does US History gloss over the territories).

look, it was the 1800s and all the cool countries were doing it...

• Options

look, it was the 1800s and all the cool countries were doing it...

It's entirely possible this is a more comprehensive coverage of the topic than I received in my regular US History class.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I voted! Gonna drop it in the mailbox shortly; hopefully 22 days is enough of a lead for a ballot to go across town.

Trying to find any information on candidates on the ridiculously down-ballot stuff (lookin' at you, Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisors) still remains the bane of my existence, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't know if this goes in the election thread or the Covid-19 thread.

Eric Trump claims father received Covid-19 vaccine

I also don't know if this is just Eric being dumb or if this is how they're going to get around not having a vaccine for election day, just say that you do safe in the knowledge that the media will both-sides it.

Yes, yes, I know, porque no los dos.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if this goes in the election thread or the Covid-19 thread.

I also don't know if this is just Eric being dumb or if this is how they're going to get around not having a vaccine for election day, just say that you do safe in the knowledge that the media will both-sides it.

Let me break down how completely idiotic this is:

- as far as anyone knows, a proven vaccine does not yet exist
    - getting a vaccine while you are still ill is dangerous and prohibited by most medical guidelines
    - getting a vaccine after you’ve already gotten the illness is completely pointless

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Let me break down how completely idiotic this is:

- as far as anyone knows, a proven vaccine does not yet exist
    - getting a vaccine while you are still ill is dangerous and prohibited by most medical guidelines
    - getting a vaccine after you’ve already gotten the illness is completely pointless

In other words, perfectly in line with the Trump family MO.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42935420#Comment_42935420
    Archangle wrote: »
    If Trump recovers, I'm willing to bet they will claim he bravely human tested the "cure" himself and therefore it's safe to authorise for the general public.

(Despite the fact that the vaccine should obviously prevent you getting covid in the first place)

Edit: Hey, I had an old draft up in theres.
    All I need is for them to "authorise" the vaccine for the public, and then I can hand in my completed bingo.

(I could technically claim Trump touting Regeneron and claiming he wants everyone to have it, but I specifically used the word "vaccine")

• Options
    edited October 2020
    God, I just watched two YouTube commercials for Trump and they are so pathetic

#1 - Joe Biden uses a teleprompter! Can we really trust someone that doesn’t constantly shit out of their mouth and never stops?

#2 - Biden/Harris wants to “cancel“ us! What’s next? Canceling free speech? Canceling guns? Canceling God??

Atomika on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    God, I just watch two YouTube commercials for Trump and they are so pathetic

#1 - Joe Biden uses a teleprompter! Can we really trust someone that doesn’t constantly shit out of their mouth and never stops?

#2 - Biden/Harris wants to “cancel“ us! What’s next? Canceling free speech? Canceling guns? Canceling God??

My favorite is "Biden MALFUNCTIONS" and it's an outtake from an online thing he apparently did where the tech keeps fucking up and he becomes minimally frustrated.

There's also just so many that say "Biden supports this thing and I have a scary voice," but... Like... That's a REALLY GOOD thing?

Hevach on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    God, I just watch two YouTube commercials for Trump and they are so pathetic

Pacific-Rim-Idris-Elba-Cancel-Apocalypse_LG.jpg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I’m not American so I never know when someone is being serious with this.

Please tell me that’s hyperbole and not something a political party is shitting out because they know someone will actually believe it.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    A page late, but thanks for the redistricting explanations.

So its not redistricting in general that is bad, "just" gerrymandering.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I’m not American so I never know when someone is being serious with this.

Please tell me that’s hyperbole and not something a political party is shitting out because they know someone will actually believe it.

nah there are some truly ridiculous ads out right now
    I've been clicking on the ones from the trump campaign specifically (not PACS) cause they cost them more money when they get clicked on
    I'm sure my google analytics is super confused now though

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.