As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    brynhrtmnbrynhrtmn Registered User regular
    Wife and I dropped off our absentee ballots yesterday. +2 for Biden in Ohio. Seeing a lot more Dem support around town then last time. Really hoping Trump loses Ohio and that’ll be the end of it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    This discussion seems to assume the only thing Dems are doing for the next three weeks is sending Obama to PA once.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Lincoln Project is known for niggling attack ads that get under the President's very thin skin. But they're also pretty damn effective at positive messaging too.

"Whew, the roller coaster of emotions with this one! Bravo, @ProjectLincoln. #VoteForHer"
    *'Vote For Her' video*
    - Maya Harris was a senior policy advisor for the Hilary 2016 campaign. And campaign chairwoman for Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign. Also, her sister.

I mean, it still takes the negatives of Trump, but forges it into a pretty decent positive one.

Quoting this for the next page so more people see it. I really think this is a really a powerful ad. Maybe it's because I'm a dad of a 1 year old girl, but it made me tear up at the end.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Lincoln Project is known for niggling attack ads that get under the President's very thin skin. But they're also pretty damn effective at positive messaging too.

"Whew, the roller coaster of emotions with this one! Bravo, @ProjectLincoln. #VoteForHer"
    *'Vote For Her' video*
    - Maya Harris was a senior policy advisor for the Hilary 2016 campaign. And campaign chairwoman for Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign. Also, her sister.

I mean, it still takes the negatives of Trump, but forges it into a pretty decent positive one.

Quoting this for the next page so more people see it. I really think this is a really a powerful ad. Maybe it's because I'm a dad of a 1 year old girl, but it made me tear up at the end.

Ahhh, fall in an election year, when the agree/awesome farms really get to work.

(I kid, I kid, I kid, it's a good ad and I'm entirely onboard with more people seeing it, just a little ribbing)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

*'Vote For Her' video*

Ahhh, fall in an election year, when the agree/awesome farms really get to work.

(I kid, I kid, I kid, it's a good ad and I'm entirely onboard with more people seeing it, just a little ribbing)

Awesome Dragon HUNGERS.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    More ratings data has come in for the dueling town halls: Biden absolutely crushed the president, getting higher ratings on ABC alone than his opponent did on all three of NBC, MSNBC and CNBC combined.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/media/town-hall-ratings-biden-trump/index.html
    Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 14.1 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.
    The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
    The Trump town hall averaged 10.6 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network. On MSNBC, Trump reached 1.74 million viewers, and on CNBC, about 671,000 viewers. So Trump's gross audience across the three channels was 13.1 million, about one million fewer than Biden's audience on ABC alone.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    More ratings data has come in for the dueling town halls: Biden absolutely crushed the president, getting higher ratings on ABC alone than his opponent did on all three of NBC, MSNBC and CNBC combined.

Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 14.1 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.
    The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
    The Trump town hall averaged 10.6 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network. On MSNBC, Trump reached 1.74 million viewers, and on CNBC, about 671,000 viewers. So Trump's gross audience across the three channels was 13.1 million, about one million fewer than Biden's audience on ABC alone.

This doesn't really matter, but I know it pisses trump off so I love it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I forgot all about them, was out at the Dr for the whole afternoon for my one year olds shots. I heard the two Town Halls were crazy different. Trump was an asshole as always, interrupting the moderator and getting aggressive, biden was acting like a president and answering questions.

One was reality TV, the other is what reality should be.

Edit and what's fucking sad? All Trump cares about is he got beat in ratings.

RickRude on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This doesn't really matter, but I know it pisses trump off so I love it.
    Other (mostly conservative) news sources are reporting that if you add YouTube views, Trump had higher viewership. So that's far more likely what he's going to "hear" in his bubble. I dunno what other platforms are also counted, or if the YouTube views are actually "double dipping" when it comes to TV viewership (do they count the viewership of the YouTube views already with the TV network views?).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Absalon wrote: »
    Biden drew 2.3 million more viewers than Trump.
    Hmmm. That might make Trump understand he is most likely losing, and a little more likely to try some different tack.

Or he could claim total victory against his opponent... town hall moderator Savannah Guthrie?

Trump campaign statement: "President Trump soundly defeated NBC’s Savannah Guthrie in her role as debate opponent and Joe Biden surrogate. President Trump masterfully handled Guthrie’s attacks and interacted warmly and effectively with the voters in the room. "

Tweeter is Executive Editor at the Washington Examiner.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    You can game YouTube views with bots, so I imagine they had a bot farm or six hammering the replay because Trump is just that goddamned stupid and in desperate need of something to prop him up, and nothing does that like a perceived bigger number than the other guy got.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    Hmmm. That might make Trump understand he is most likely losing, and a little more likely to try some different tack.

Or he could claim total victory against his opponent... town hall moderator Savannah Guthrie?

I can't stop laughing. Our president is a fucking joke.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Turned in my wife's and my ballots today. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), there was about a 15 minute line waiting to get in and drop off ballots. Not at a polling place, either: at the county board of elections office where accepting absentee ballots was the only thing they were doing.

Admittedly this was more due to NC legal shenanigans than massive voter turnout. They recently changed the law such that someone can sign an affidavit to say "Yes, I filled out this ballot" rather than requiring a witness to sign the ballot envelope saying, "Yes, I saw so and so fill out their ballot." And rather than offering the affidavit thing as an elective service they were just having everyone fill out a form saying, "I, so and so, am saying I witnessed my own ballot and that of anyone else whose ballot I'm dropping off." And they only had enough room in the office for 6 people at a time to fill them out, so.

Still, quite a few people there in line before and after I got there, so that seems promising.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Apparently in Georgia a million votes have already been cast.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch is now telling people he thinks Trump will lose. Rats see this ship is a loser.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Trump having shit ratings will sadly be his nail in the coffin.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nah, that's just a call to get Fox to push GOTV for Republicans even harder.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Trump having shit ratings will sadly be his bail in the coffin.

The thing is this isn't new. Like his previous solo town hall was a ratings loser to Biden as well. And previous Trump specials have also had bad ratings. People hate Trump and they don't like seeing him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    This discussion seems to assume the only thing Dems are doing for the next three weeks is sending Obama to PA once.

I mean if the Dems were going to do one thing...that’s not the worst thing to do.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I don't think undecided Trump voters exist in any real measure.

There are people declaring undecided who may be shy Trump voters but I also don't think there's many there to be found.

The rest arent Biden voters per se, they'll make up the majority of third party voters.

People know what they bought last election, they like it or they don't. Biden was VP for 8 years and most low info folks will just assume they're getting another Obama term.

I'm wary of fuckery but it would require separate conspiracies in ten states or one involving the Supreme Court - I don't think they'll pull either off.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

There are people declaring undecided who may be shy Trump voters but I also don't think there's many there to be found.

The rest arent Biden voters per se, they'll make up the majority of third party voters.

People know what they bought last election, they like it or they don't. Biden was VP for 8 years and most low info folks will just assume they're getting another Obama term.

I'm wary of fuckery but it would require separate conspiracies in ten states or one involving the Supreme Court - I don't think they'll pull either off.

*knocks on wood*

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Do you have any idea how many MP it takes to cast Summon Obama?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Anecdotally, the trump people on my social media have quietly stopped posting trump memes, and instead are posting anti-Biden memes and advocating voting for the libertarian candidate

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

170 in Canada, 326 in Great Britain, but there's never any guarantee that he'll accept the invitation.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

ProZDuseanether.mp4

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Good. Now where is all of Biden's free air time since he is an even bigger ratings draw than Trump? I expect to see live shots of an empty Biden podium taking precedence over Trump yammering.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Trump campaign statement: "President Trump soundly defeated NBC’s Savannah Guthrie in her role as debate opponent and Joe Biden surrogate. President Trump masterfully handled Guthrie’s attacks and interacted warmly and effectively with the voters in the room. "

She pitched him a whole game of softballs and he forgot his bat, he just stood and took them in the face like Happy Gilmore in the batting cage.

Like, he's claiming victory over an opponent that wasn't playing the game and it's still bullshit.

Hevach on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Somebody needed a shot in the ol' orange caboose to boost his fee-fees up.

"Oh, you're such a big man, Donnie! Your number is bigger than Biden's and you sure put that nasty woman in her place! Now, open wide, here comes the airplane! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

It's just so honestly transparent and pathetic and obvious they're trying to plant stories to make him happy.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I’ll take misogyny for $1000 (Guthrie vs Stephanopoulos)

Ahem

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

*knocks on wood*

I know Thomas was party to Bush v Gore but in 2020 we're likely looking at a differential of millions of votes and the Court directly fucking with the counts in dozen(s) of states.

Ohio, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Iowa, Florida and North Carolina.

If Biden takes Wisconsin and Michigan (he's going to take Michigan) he needs one of those states - he's sitting at 267 without them.

It's hard to see him losing all of those states even remotely legitimately considering what polls look like.

The Court throwing the election to Trump will unmake this country.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

*knocks on wood*

I know Thomas was party to Bush v Gore but in 2020 we're likely looking at a differential of millions of votes and the Court directly fucking with the counts in dozen(s) of states.

If Biden takes Wisconsin and Michigan (he's going to take Michigan) he needs one of those states - he's sitting at 267 without them.

It's hard to see him losing all of those states even remotely legitimately considering what polls look like.

If the choice is between destroying the USA beyond repair or letting the Democrats hold the reins of power, I don’t know how a court with Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, and Barrett will rule.

I can imagine they might think the public will just ignore it and move on because we’ve done that to so many unconscionable things already.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

*knocks on wood*

If the choice is between destroying the USA beyond repair or letting the Democrats hold the reins of power, I don’t know how a court with Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, and Barrett will rule.

I can imagine they might think the public will just ignore it and move on because we’ve done that to so many unconscionable things already.

I feel like roberts and gorsuch might side with reality depending on how overwhelming the vote is.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Roberts hates the VRA but he also hates the idea of the Court being seen as illegitimate or partisan (lel) so it's a toss-up which way he'd go

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Roberts actually seems somewhat concerned about his legacy, and I dont think he wants setting the country on fire to be a part of that.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    There is also much more of a tick/tock expectation at the end of a two term presidency which means you can cheat more in those elections. This is not one of those elections.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Remember that Bush v. Gore was 500 votes. The margin of Supreme Court fuckery post-election is pretty small.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

*knocks on wood*

I feel like roberts and gorsuch might side with reality depending on how overwhelming the vote is.

Unless we hit December and still have no idea who the EC winner is, I wouldn't be shocked if the Supreme Court doesn't touch this with a ten foot poll.

They don't need Trump's allegiance and with a 6/3 split, there's not a lot the Democrats can actually do without packing the courts, which is an unlikely scenario in the best of times.

Quite frankly, to them Trump losing means 4 years of knocking down Democrat bills in the courts and hoping a non-insane Republican pops up to defeat Biden or Harris in 2024.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So it looks like Trump has reversed FEMA's decision to not give emergency aid to California earlier this day. I can't help but feel like the whole thing was setup so he can ride in and save the day... from his own administration? So far it seems to be working sadly, as he's getting some good media from it. Still, a good thing for the country I guess so I'll take it.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My current hopes rest on Trump being a lazy coward who probably never really wanted this job and hates having to take responsibility for anything.
    So he might (fingers crossed) yell and whine and pout about the result (incessantly) and play it coy about whether he'll leave without being dragged out; but when push comes to shove, he will (without ever admitting defeat), and go back to Twitter shitposting and holding rallies and appearing on OAN, complaining about everything the new administration does and how the election was stolen from him, without having to even pretend to do work or give a shit about the country.
    It's a way out that lets him do all of the things he enjoys and none of what he doesn't, and pretend - to his followers and himself - that he didn't actually lose.

The alternative... is something I'd rather not think about. :(

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Nah, that's just a call to get Fox to push GOTV for Republicans even harder.

Rupert Murdoch doesn't strike me as having chugged the koolaid. I think he'd be happy to dump a loser.

This discussion has been closed.