As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2020 Election Thread

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like how easy would it be to just text fill the pages with whatever, but they can't even be bothered with that.

Like the old movie trick of putting one layer of bills over paper in the briefcase , except without even bothering to put that layer of real bills.

Yet still confidently opening it anyway

Remember, they are very cheap. Ink costs money.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people are saying "look we only have a picture of peeking at one page there's no evidence that the whole thing is blank" and like on one hand yes, on the other hand, what on earth do you think they could have printed out to fill the rest of the TEN MILLION PAGES on that GIANT BOOK she is struggling to hold

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    So they're "opening" an "investigation" into Hunter Biden huh.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Is it that the president is trying to cheat

Because he is

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    How compromised are you, FBI?

In 2016 you were collectively in the tank for the Russian agent/useful idiot. Who since fired your director you reportedly liked, among others.

Do we find out today if you've learned anything since?

• Options
    The news conference is just chest pounding about how the FBI is protecting the election, and Iran and maybe Russia are sending out deceptive emails to undermine perceived security among the public and you shouldn't believe them.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

it's actually offensive how these people assume everyone else is as dumb and incompetent as they are.

this is a safe bet and probably good strategy in general though. they don't do this shit to win over their enemies or fence sitters (fence sitters don't really exist) or to convince individual reporters that they're competent, it's pretty late in the game to put much effort in that. the idea is to reinforce the belief of the people already on board that they're competent and good and get shit done and have drained the swamp

they don't need to really care about appearances as long as they hang on to that 30% or whatever of the population who will back them no matter what, especially when they also control most of the federal government

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The fbi thing is a whole lotta nothing dont stress it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    here's the context I guess? it seems weird.

• Options
    if that's true then it's wasted effort on iran's part, our homegrown fascists do plenty of that shit on their own

• Options
    The fbi thing is a whole lotta nothing dont stress it

yeah i would say that if you saw that tweet and you immediately had all your hair stand on end and felt a streak of stress and went OH BOY HERE WE GO

you need to disconnect from election news for a bit

not every single moment of every single day is going to be a white knuckle movie experience

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hard not to think of The Event and how it was influenced tho

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Cool FBI

Trip over yourselves clearing the proud boys name

• Options
    Hard not to think of The Event and how it was influenced tho

yes it is important to recognize when you are seeking out material that will trigger your memories of trauma

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Shea Serrano wrote a very helpful and thoughtful book on bridging the gap between Trump supporters and normal people. Because of how important the book is, he made it free for people!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a kind of yrgh reaction to people who talk about healing in the current political climate

Healing is something that happens when you've excised the rot and infection. Healing is for after reform, after prosecution, after reparations. Healing is for when the damage is over, not while it's going on. By all means, do political outreach to the disaffected and divided elements of the country. Just ... healing, no.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hard to heal while someone is actively trying to harm you

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Exactly. We are talking about people who get hardcover editions of Trump's tweets and carry them around worshipfully like they're love-child of the Bible and Mao's Little Red Book.

They might, might be reachable after deep deprogramming, but honestly, the only thing that's going to change any of their minds is dying.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    imv4Mas.png

he said this likely before anyone posting on these boards was alive and it's maybe even truer now than it was then

• Options
    By the way it's not actually a book about healing it's a book about calling them stupid

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020

dang dude try doubling your rent overnight and see how many people are still living in your apartment

Brolo on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That reminds me of how weird it is I find landlords evicting people during Covid. Like, where do you think you're going to find more tenants, guys?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I forgot how rent was double in 2016 what it is now in 2020

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    they'd rather their property stay empty and lose them money than give somebody something for less than they think it's worth

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    That reminds me of how weird it is I find landlords evicting people during Covid. Like, where do you think you're going to find more tenants, guys?

The hardest lesson I've had to learn, really learn and understand, is that such a large portion of people don't care about improving their own wellbeing, or even really care about their own wellbeing. The only thing they truly care about is wielding power over others. These landlords would rather lose their income and property than let a chance to punch down slip by. Just like all the white business owners who shut their businesses down rather than desegregate, all the slave owners who ran their plantations into the ground by working their slaves to death, and so on. Before their own survival, below the physical needs of the Maslow hierarchy, they value their hatred and cruelty.

Evil is banal and extremely common. 40% of the population are monsters, just never given the chance to do more than petty damage.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Shea Serrano wrote a very helpful and thoughtful book on bridging the gap between Trump supporters and normal people. Because of how important the book is, he made it free for people!

That's maybe my bad on not actually giving an idea of what the content of said book actually is. Here is one page:

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

The hardest lesson I've had to learn, really learn and understand, is that such a large portion of people don't care about improving their own wellbeing, or even really care about their own wellbeing. The only thing they truly care about is wielding power over others. These landlords would rather lose their income and property than let a chance to punch down slip by. Just like all the white business owners who shut their businesses down rather than desegregate, all the slave owners who ran their plantations into the ground by working their slaves to death, and so on. Before their own survival, below the physical needs of the Maslow hierarchy, they value their hatred and cruelty.

Evil is banal and extremely common. 40% of the population are monsters, just never given the chance to do more than petty damage.

for my own sanity i have to believe that there's nothing inherent in humans that make us act so horribly toward each other, we've just set up our civilizations so that you have a massive advantage if you're willing to subjugate and murder your fellow humans

but until we figure out a way to set things up so that isn't the case i'm not sure how much difference it makes exactly why we behave abominably all the time

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    40% of people are intrinsically monsters is a bad belief, if that's what you mean

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I have a kind of yrgh reaction to people who talk about healing in the current political climate

Healing is something that happens when you've excised the rot and infection. Healing is for after reform, after prosecution, after reparations. Healing is for when the damage is over, not while it's going on. By all means, do political outreach to the disaffected and divided elements of the country. Just ... healing, no.

I had the same reaction and uhh yeah the book actually strikes the currently appropriate tone

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Christie, you'd have done more to help the country if you died.

• Options
    Wait is that what I think it is

• Options
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    "I remain a supporter of both strong public-health measures and rapid reopening."

Fuck right off, Christie

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I feel like that would be the sort of thing Larry David would yell to end a scene

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    re the thread title, this is v cute

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I feel like admitting you "tucked" in front of a young woman the way Rudy did is not really a stellar thing to say as a former friend of Jeffrey

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    "I remain a supporter of both strong public-health measures and rapid reopening."

Fuck right off, Christie

So mandatory masking, robust testing and contact tracing, and pay for businesses to all replace their indoor air every minute or so?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Is this edited or real? I can’t even tell any more.

This discussion has been closed.