As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah the games just got too long. I haven't played Valhalla but by all accounts it's longer than Odyssey.

I was 150 hours deep into Odyssey and I hadn't completed everything on the map, and hadn't done the mythic DLC either.

Origins I found to be the best length. 90 hours I'd done everything bar the mythic DLC, with every icon on the map crossed off, and that also included a ton of just messing around the map randomly.

I hope Mirage, in shedding the RPG padding, can get back down under the 100 hour mark.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to buying Mirage a year from now, for cheap.

It'll be at least that long by the time I finish Valhalla.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'll probably try splitting my Valhalla playthrough and doing some shorter games in between, in the hope that this will stave off Assassin's Creed burnout. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit right now, but I remember going from enjoyment to being bored and frustrated within a day or so with Odyssey.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I adopted an episodic approach to playing Valhalla; pick a main quest, play my way through it (with distractions as they came), then take a week or so off in other games before going back and doing another quest.
    I found that kept my interest better than just grinding through it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Count me in as someone ready to try out the smaller more focused MIRAGE despite still needing to finish ODY and VAL (once they added the roguelike - which is very good - I kinda figured I'd never finish this game).

. . .one thing I wish games like this did, was offer a "returning player" area, that got you caught up with new changes and sort of "soft reset" the tutorials. Everytime I go back to VAL, I spend way too much time remembering controls or how the game systems worked (and scrolling through the - robust, but - too dense tutorial section is annoying).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah the games just got too long. I haven't played Valhalla but by all accounts it's longer than Odyssey.

I was 150 hours deep into Odyssey and I hadn't completed everything on the map, and hadn't done the mythic DLC either.

Origins I found to be the best length. 90 hours I'd done everything bar the mythic DLC, with every icon on the map crossed off, and that also included a ton of just messing around the map randomly.

I hope Mirage, in shedding the RPG padding, can get back down under the 100 hour mark.

Again, they've said it's 20-25 hours. They could be lying, but I doubt they'd be lying +80 hours.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Again, they've said it's 20-25 hours. They could be lying, but I doubt they'd be lying +80 hours.

Well then I'll be getting it. That's a nice lengtth for an AC game.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Okay, but did they say how long it will be?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Okay, but did they say how long it will be?

Longer than Valhalla and Odyssey combined

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I went off AC at Black Flag and that was a good decision. They just got longer and more bloated from that point.

If Mirage really is just around 20-25 hours, presumably about 40-50 for the platinum if I extrapolate, that would be reasonable. I'm not saying I'm terribly keen to buy a Ubisoft game, but this could be what lures me back into at least trying it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Origins at least wasn't too bloated if you followed the story. If you wanted to be a completionist there was a lot there though.

Odyssey went off the rails and sounds like Valhalla kept its foot on the gas.

Mirage going back to being a nice, manageable chunk of game that you can play, beat and move on is real nice. I doubt it represents the future of the franchise, because Ubisoft seems to be stuck in the rut of 'every one of our games must be a GaaS' but I appreciate that someone there managed to talk the decision makers into letting them make Mirage.

Going back to uPlay and EGS exclusive on PC after finally moving back to Steam sucks ass though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I loved syndicate

• Options
    I never played Syndicate. Unity was so fucking boring it put me off the series. I only came back because Origins was on sale, and I had a new PC and wanted a game that would push it a bit. I didn't really think I'd get into Origins as much as I did.

• Options
    Syndicate basically did poorly because of Unity which was super frustrating cos it was a better game in many ways. At the time it also looked gorgeous and ran a lot better than Unity

• Options
    Unity was nothingness

Syndicate was great tho

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Syndicate was so much fun. The Fryes were great characters, and I could have done with more of them interacting.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I also loved the setting, the city was super impressive especially at the time on Xbox one/ps4

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I enjoyed Unity, though I only played it a year or so after it came out, which means that a lot of the annoying stuff had been improved or even patched out altogether. Paris is one of my favourite locations in the entire series, and I enjoyed what the game did with the Assassins and Templars for the most part. Though, pretty much like all the Assassin's Creed games I remember, it totally fizzles out in what's supposed to be the big climax.

In terms of locations, I'd probably consider Unity and Syndicate my personal high points of the series. I like these cities with a lot of verticality, and Paris and London are eye candy of the highest order. Ezio's Italy was also nice, but visually the games are pretty dated by now.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    On a different note: while it'd be fiendishly difficult to pull off, what I'd find fascinating would be a game that, rather than offering an open world the size of Valhalla, took one place but had different versions of it across time. Something like Valhalla's Lunden, Syndicate's London and perhaps something in between, set around 1600, designed so we'd see how these places change and what kind of continuity there is across centuries.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    On a different note: while it'd be fiendishly difficult to pull off, what I'd find fascinating would be a game that, rather than offering an open world the size of Valhalla, took one place but had different versions of it across time. Something like Valhalla's Lunden, Syndicate's London and perhaps something in between, set around 1600, designed so we'd see how these places change and what kind of continuity there is across centuries.

I would love this. They could actually use the modern storyline as a framing device again, instead of breaking story flow and killing player momentum.

They should do a generational epic again. The Kenways are cool, but you can tell very little of it was intentional on Ubisoft’s part. I want a trilogy focusing on three or four generations of the same family.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I also loved the setting, the city was super impressive especially at the time on Xbox one/ps4

I went back and played it earlier this year and that city is STILL super impressive.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I'm curious to hear more about the environments of the upcoming Assassin's Creed VR game. The trailers don't really show much in terms of whether the games are open world (it is Assassin's Creed and Ubisoft after all) or more level-based. It'd definitely be cool to explore an AC city in VR, even if the graphics are likely to be at the level of AC3 perhaps.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I would love this. They could actually use the modern storyline as a framing device again, instead of breaking story flow and killing player momentum.

They should do a generational epic again. The Kenways are cool, but you can tell very little of it was intentional on Ubisoft’s part. I want a trilogy focusing on three or four generations of the same family.

the sequence in Syndicate where you jump forward in time to I think WW1 was great. They should do more of like cities through the ages

Tho my ultimate wish is still conquistador era South America. I feel like not only is it a setting rarely seen in video games, and the conquistadors would make great bad guys, but a jungle setting would open up a fresh aspect to traversal. Basically having a kind of spiderman/Tarzan traversal in a thick jungle setting is something I’ve always wanted in a game

• Options
    Perhaps the upcoming Avatar game will be reasonably close to that, if you squint hard enough.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options

the sequence in Syndicate where you jump forward in time to I think WW1 was great. They should do more of like cities through the ages

Tho my ultimate wish is still conquistador era South America. I feel like not only is it a setting rarely seen in video games, and the conquistadors would make great bad guys, but a jungle setting would open up a fresh aspect to traversal. Basically having a kind of spiderman/Tarzan traversal in a thick jungle setting is something I’ve always wanted in a game

I've been playing Black Flag (I've tried it before, but only now getting into it) and the story specifically highlights that the Assassins quickly found common ground with the indigenous peoples. They could easily build a game around that story.

Of course, I'm still hoping for games set during the Thirty Years' War, the English Civil War, the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War, and the 1920s-1930s.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I've been playing Black Flag (I've tried it before, but only now getting into it) and the story specifically highlights that the Assassins quickly found common ground with the indigenous peoples. They could easily build a game around that story.

Of course, I'm still hoping for games set during the Thirty Years' War, the English Civil War, the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War, and the 1920s-1930s.

Oh man, Al Capone as the leader of the Assassins? And Templar Eliot Ness would be hilarious.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    ...the sequence in Syndicate where you jump forward in time to I think WW1 was great.
    I think it was in Unity, not Syndicate, though Syndicate might have done something similar, IDK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJYUs2t08U

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Perhaps the upcoming Avatar game will be reasonably close to that, if you squint hard enough.
    It's much more based on the 'Far Cry 3'+ style of gameplay than AC, IMO.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Syndicate has a short WW1 sequence so that they could include Tower Bridge and features an outfit I wish unlocked for Evie because it was great.

ds3tgupvvxrn.png

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I finished Black Flag.

I really enjoyed it—sailing around the West Indies is simply fun whether you’re heading to the next island, seeking booty, or just cruising along listening to sea shanties.

It’s got the same pacing problems as the other AC games I’ve played through (AC1, the Ezio Trilogy, 3, and Odyssey).
    Edward’s arc waits way too long to get to the point and, when it finally does, the story ends an hour later. If they wanted him to have a sudden Heel Realization, it should’ve happened in the second act around when the Nassau Republic fell apart. If they wanted a slow burn, they should’ve had more breadcrumb scenes where Edward comes closer and closer to doing the right thing. The idea that Edward needs to become a better person is undermined by the fact he’s the second-most moral person in the pirate gang, beaten only by Mary Read.

Black Bart could’ve been a much more dynamic villain, but they left the most interesting things about him on the table. There’s a lot of story in the idea of someone living over and over for 74,000 years. What other lives has he lived? Does he always go for “merry and short,” or have their been cycles where he lived as any other man? Does he want to die? Instead, he just rants about humans being inferior and wanting to see Juno. What a waste.

Also, Caroline. The story pays so much attention to their relationship, only for Edward to have basically no reaction at the end—to say nothing of dropping a bombshell into the story and then rolling credits.

The modern day storyline was even more of a momentum killer than usual. Who in their right mind thought we’d care about playing shitty hacking minigames when we were just playing an 18th century pirate? Desmond’s story overstayed its welcome because it was three games’ worth of story stretched over five, but at least it was relevant. If you cut the Abstergo Entertainment stuff, the game doesn’t lose a thing.

Anyway, on to Unity!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I finished Black Flag.

I really enjoyed it—sailing around the West Indies is simply fun whether you’re heading to the next island, seeking booty, or just cruising along listening to sea shanties.

It’s got the same pacing problems as the other AC games I’ve played through (AC1, the Ezio Trilogy, 3, and Odyssey).
    Edward’s arc waits way too long to get to the point and, when it finally does, the story ends an hour later. If they wanted him to have a sudden Heel Realization, it should’ve happened in the second act around when the Nassau Republic fell apart. If they wanted a slow burn, they should’ve had more breadcrumb scenes where Edward comes closer and closer to doing the right thing. The idea that Edward needs to become a better person is undermined by the fact he’s the second-most moral person in the pirate gang, beaten only by Mary Read.

Black Bart could’ve been a much more dynamic villain, but they left the most interesting things about him on the table. There’s a lot of story in the idea of someone living over and over for 74,000 years. What other lives has he lived? Does he always go for “merry and short,” or have their been cycles where he lived as any other man? Does he want to die? Instead, he just rants about humans being inferior and wanting to see Juno. What a waste.

Also, Caroline. The story pays so much attention to their relationship, only for Edward to have basically no reaction at the end—to say nothing of dropping a bombshell into the story and then rolling credits.

The modern day storyline was even more of a momentum killer than usual. Who in their right mind thought we’d care about playing shitty hacking minigames when we were just playing an 18th century pirate? Desmond’s story overstayed its welcome because it was three games’ worth of story stretched over five, but at least it was relevant. If you cut the Abstergo Entertainment stuff, the game doesn’t lose a thing.

Anyway, on to Unity!

You should consider playing Rogue before Unity if you're interested in the story side of things.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I finished Black Flag.

Anyway, on to Unity!

You should consider playing Rogue before Unity if you're interested in the story side of things.

Rogue is extremely good and as a bonus feeds directly into Unity's begining

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I know it's polarising at best, but I'm glad that they went back to at least using modern day characters with actual names and, well, character.
    Nameless Bodiless Voiceless Genderless Protagonist really wasn't a high point, and it doesn't make me feel any more 'immersed'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I finished Black Flag.

Anyway, on to Unity!

Rogue is extremely good and as a bonus feeds directly into Unity's begining

Also feeds straight from Black Flag from a gameplay point and ties into Black Flag and 3 from a story standpoint. Its a good transitional game.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I know it's polarising at best, but I'm glad that they went back to at least using modern day characters with actual names and, well, character.
    Nameless Bodiless Voiceless Genderless Protagonist really wasn't a high point, and it doesn't make me feel any more 'immersed'.

I think I obviously agree at this point

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Syndicate has a short WW1 sequence so that they could include Tower Bridge and features an outfit I wish unlocked for Evie because it was great.
    ds3tgupvvxrn.png

That is indeed a sweet outfit, reminds me a lot of Catherine Zeta-Jones in Phantom:
    qb98455fkyy3.jpg

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I finally updated the OP with info about Mirage. If I missed anything important, if anything I said is incorrect, or if anyone has any other info you think I should shove into the OP, please let me know.

Drez on
  • Options
    I ended up buying this on EGS. I am still working on Starfield, but the promise of a shorter AC game has me cautiously eager to play this.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    So far I've bought every Ubisoft game on Uplay, since it connects to Uplay to play them anyway. I don't see that changing for EGS.

Had a quick look at the system specs and it's nice that I'm still way above 1440p Ultra specs.

edit - wrong game

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I buy them on EGS because as you said it unlocks on Ubisoft Connect anyway but you can the games launch through either, and I actually prefer EGS as a launcher to Ubisoft Connect. Not that it’s much better.