As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

1151617181921»

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I don't even have EGS installed.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, looks like someone at IGN did everything and got the platinum trophy in Mirage in 23.5 hours.

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-long-is-assassins-creed-mirage

Which seems even shorter than advertised, but considering how much time Valhalla wasted before giving me that non-ending, I'll take it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I did it. I finally completed the Valhalla story and deleted the game off my Xbox.

I completed most of the important content like all of the region quests and the "dream world" quests. I didn't have it in me to assassinate 40+ Order members, and especially not to collect all the treasures and such across the entire map. I have the season pass with Ireland and Paris, but I have no desire to spend anymore time with the game.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Okay, looks like someone at IGN did everything and got the platinum trophy in Mirage in 23.5 hours.

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-long-is-assassins-creed-mirage

Which seems even shorter than advertised, but considering how much time Valhalla wasted before giving me that non-ending, I'll take it.

This is music to my earlobes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I did it. I finally completed the Valhalla story and deleted the game off my Xbox.

I completed most of the important content like all of the region quests and the "dream world" quests. I didn't have it in me to assassinate 40+ Order members, and especially not to collect all the treasures and such across the entire map. I have the season pass with Ireland and Paris, but I have no desire to spend anymore time with the game.

The Ireland dlc is pretty good.

I did everything up until you
    get back your brother.
    , but that seemed like such a good stopping point I put it aside and never really picked it back up.

One day I guess I might try to finish it. I don’t know how much is left, I assume that is about half way through?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Skill up has a in depth review:

https://youtu.be/xZmUtEsgGq0

There's some annoying, occasional hitching with the animation data streaming code that Ubisoft will hopefully fix sooner rather than later. Happens mostly in combat. It's frustrating that this is an obvious regression from Valhalla, which also ran from NVME SSD's.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    For comparison, this has no hitching and a great frame time, on a OG Xbox One VCR model:

https://youtu.be/aYTCDasp85A

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah they got rid of free climbing. Climbing is (slightly) more nuanced than "hold Up" again!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Messing around in AC Valhalla a bit, figured I’d do some more story stuff to get some background.

Run into a quest with an elk in England…. It’s a Wapiti! Did we teleport to Tennessee or Alberta somehow?

Someone really needs to tell them Eurasian elk look like moose.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    At least the protagonist of Mirage is a brand new character and you do not in any way have to play through hundreds of hours of a kinda boring game to understand who he is or how he fits into the story ahead of time.

Whew.

Drez on
  • Options
    The reviews were saying Valhalla doesn’t matter to anything in Mirage at all, which is good.

I’ve been spoiled on who he is so whatever, never saw the whole Valhalla ending though.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    At least the protagonist of Mirage is a brand new character and you do not in any way have to play through hundreds of hours of a kinda boring game to understand who he is or how he fits into the story ahead of time.

Whew.

I mean, Mirage is an origin story, you act like reintroducing people to an existing character is an impossible task.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Whew.

I mean, Mirage is an origin story, you act like reintroducing people to an existing character is an impossible task.

Nah, I’m mostly just shitposting.

So it takes place before Valhalla?

• Options
    I honestly know next to nothing about Mirage.

I feel like after 76 hours of playtime I also know next to nothing about Valhalla.

• Options
    Relatively speaking, Basim is barely in Valhalla anyway.

You learn what his deal is in the finale, but I doubt how relevant that will be in Mirage.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Relatively speaking, Basim is barely in Valhalla anyway.

You learn what his deal is in the finale, but I doubt how relevant that will be in Mirage.

I feel like its 50% that it doesn’t come up at all, and 50% it comes up at the very end or in a dlc.

I feel like they generally wanted it to be separate from valhalla so the whole valhalla tie-in will be kept as low key as possible.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The way Basim apparently ends Eivor and Layla's story is exactly why I'm done with the series, at least for the time being.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    I think eventually Layla and
    Desmond
    will be back.

Although a lot of the people involved in the series are gone now so who knows.

• Options
    I guess the game is actually out now...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Yeah I enjoyed Valhalla but the ending with basim was the worst, most incomprehensible and stupid part. I honestly just plan to ignore it with mirage

Speaking of playing it now, it’s ok, but Ubisoft is clearly not interested in pushing much beyond this tech. I had hoped a smaller scope would’ve meant some improvements, not that it’s an ugly engine or anything, but it basically looks the same as Valhalla, maybe less in some areas. Their face and dialogue animation tech for one definitely doesn’t stack up to the industry leaders with these type of games, again not bad, but nothing here is capitalising on the smaller scope to push harder.

They still haven’t bothered to really smooth out some of the physics and animations, and a lot of stuff, like for instance the fact that knock out animations on sitting targets still basically involve WoW level animation interaction, he swings his hand and the guard ragdolls, is getting old. Basically this is a content expansion, which is fine, not really doing anything new or even fixing old frayed edges

Like I’m up for smaller scope games, but i wish they’d use that scope to wow us again. But eh, I’ve resigned myself to these games being reliable comfort food for me. They’re McDonald’s, nothing amazing but I know what I’m getting

Prohass on
  • Options
    RespondPleaseRespondPlease Registered User regular
    How the heck do you stop fleeing people in Mirage? Had to kill the guy to pickpocket him. Sleep darts didn't seem to work.

• Options
    I grabbed Mirage on sale recently and that was a breezy and pleasant 25 hour or so playthrough.

I enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay of Mirage much more than Valhalla, or honestly any of the other modern RPG games. Combat is basic but straightforward and far from the mushy feel of the other modern games. Tools are back, like throwing knives, smoke bombs and blowdarts. The skill trees are very short and to-the-point. Climbing is still pretty generous but does take a bit of thought in some places. The amount and variety of collectables is completely reasonable.

Basim is surprisingly likeable. The story is a bit anemic, which feels like the most obvious holdover from the game's origins as a DLC.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    How the heck do you stop fleeing people in Mirage? Had to kill the guy to pickpocket him. Sleep darts didn't seem to work.

I killed a fair number too, but I think you're supposed to stealth pickpocket them. Hide in crowds, bushes, that kind of thing. Follow until you see them stop somewhere, hide there, wait for them to come back around, don't get spotted, and pickpocket them.

Or just kill them.

• Options
    RespondPleaseRespondPlease Registered User regular
    Stealth was the plan, but some guards around him attacked me right off for some reason and the target just would not stop running, ever, after that. All I did was kill a couple guys! All he had to do was stop to avoid joining them, but noooo.

• Options
    I was really disappointed in Mirage, it felt way less polished than it should have, there were problems that weren’t in previous games, at launch it had loads of glitches and frame rate issues on Xbox, and just overall I felt it was a bit of a missed opportunity. I thought it would be more like an extremely polished and well done small slice, to contrast with the more wobbly larger games. But in reality it felt like just a small slice of the wobbly games, and even wobblier

Also man I wish we could get a remaster of syndicate and unity for modern consoles. I know they’re doing 4 but I’m more interested in seeing syndicate and Unity get a chance to shine

• Options
    Unity would require a massive story rewrite and reconsideration of most of the systems to shine because man... what a BAD game.

• Options
    Eh the story is bad but lots of games stories are bad, I mean 4 isn’t exactly war and peace. Like I’m just asking for a simple remaster, not a remake, ie graphics fixes, resolution bumps, frame rate bumps, etc

• Options
    edited April 16
    Prohass wrote: »
    Eh the story is bad but lots of games stories are bad, I mean 4 isn’t exactly war and peace. Like I’m just asking for a simple remaster, not a remake, ie graphics fixes, resolution bumps, frame rate bumps, etc

The complaints I alluded towards:
    -The level up system is broken to try to force you into co-op play (you barely gain any skill points playing the game normally, like any other AC game). Various skills that are normal to have in AC games (double assassinate) are trapped behind this system. So play co-op then?
    -Co-op, at least on Xbox in the current year, is literally non-functional. Even invites to someone actually wanting to play the game with you don't work (I guess they broke it at some point?) and forget about matchmaking.
    -I really dislike the obnoxiously long list of weapons and armor, which was purely to push co-op and try to trick you into microtransactions. This shitty excess continued into the even more annoying and terrible RPG games, later on.
    -People frequently complain that the controls in AC games frequently misinterpret your parkour. Well, it's literally never been worse than in Unity. The amount of times that Arno would abandon a foot chase or escape to run at nearby furniture like a cat was something like 85%, AWFUL.
    -Combat was simultaneously less fun than the previous games (they made you dramatically weaker to try to make it "more stealth based" and other stupid reasons) and also more badly broken (smoke bombs work 100% of the time to allow a mass butchering of anyone in melee range, you can buy like 10 of them, at a negligible cost and be penalized not at all for relying on this).
    -Despite clearly receiving some TLC from its worst-in-the-entire-series launch day woes, the game is still maybe the buggiest or second buggiest (Liberation is pretty unacceptable too) in the series. I had a pretty constant refrain of broken mission triggers, civilians shouldering their way into or directly THROUGH important cutscenes, floating or levitating people, etc.

And all of that pales in comparison to the plot being an extremely bad waste of the French Revolution setting (and specifically what that SHOULD mean for the Assassins and Templars as factions). Your character being basically a modern day American Centrist is perhaps the most cowardly writing in the entire series, which is saying something. In the realm of just very strange, the game that is about France, developed by a French company has cast everyone in the VA to have... British accents? What the Hell is that?? The attempt to remove modern day from meaning anything from the overall plot was incompetently handled, making things less interesting, not more approachable (because... it's still there, so they wouldn't have pleased the haters in any case). Compared to 4, 4 hits literally every high point you would want from "the pirate game". All the famous pirates, the golden age of piracy, the sad fall and deaths of pretty much all the historical figures, etc. My only complaints about 4 are that it thinks the Lighthouse is much more interesting of a MacGuffin than it is, and the Oracles add stuff to the series lore that's more confusing and troublesome than interesting, imo. If they did a 3 Remaster style re-release of Unity, that would be really bad, imo, because the game is playable on PC and Xbox and I presume on Ps5... it's just a very bad game that would take a lot of work to make into a decent release.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    I mean all those first points are kind of perfect for a remaster? Ie making fixes to systems, none of which sounds insanely onerous

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 16
    Hoercot just sabotaging all those games leaves a bad taste in my mouth, because you can see what the actual devs wanted to do.

Fencingsax on