As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    The bizarre combination of finishing Lupin on Netflix, going down a wiki-wormhole on the Affair of the Diamond Necklace, and the next one being the Siege of Paris had me firing up Unity again. Regardless of what it says about Ubisoft, this feels great, now that I don't have to worry about companion apps / ARGs and it's a breathe of fresh air from the newer open world games.

Also, they were wizards because it looks better than games released last year and loads super quick on the PS5.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I finally decided to reinstall Odyssey and finish the DLCs.

Just wrapped up Legacy of the First Blade and ugh… that just did not work for my Kassandra. Even the ‘fix’ they did, didn’t really change much. It put me off the game until now where I forced myself to finish it.

Now, on to the mythical DLC.

Edit - tying it all up with Aya being the direct descendant was really good though.

I wish we got an Aya based game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Just wrapped up Legacy of the First Blade and ugh… that just did not work for my Kassandra. Even the ‘fix’ they did, didn’t really change much. It put me off the game until now where I forced myself to finish it.

Edit - tying it all up with Aya being the direct descendant was really good though.

That part was really weird because she had to
    get knocked up by the guy
    for the overall story to make sense but it was not handled well at all.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

That part was really weird because she had to
    get knocked up by the guy
    for the overall story to make sense but it was not handled well at all.

She didn't! There's no reason that had to happen during the time span of the game itself.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I’m thinking of getting back into Odyssey- I’m thinking of trying to complete everything, and I’m in need of maps for at least Greece.

Is there anywhere online where I could find maps by area and tablet solutions? I’ve already completed the base game and I’d like to experience everything. Ostraka solutions would also be really good. I’ve seen the world maps with everything, but I’d prefer something with pictures I could save to my tablet and use like an atlas and go region by region.

Thanks in advance!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So, I grabbed the Twitch Prime reward for the Druids DLC (PS4). I have my Ubisoft account hooked up to my Twitch account, and my PS4 account hooked up to my Ubi account edit: and my PS4 account hooked up to Twitch. But the game doesn’t recognize that I have the DLC. Anyone else encounter this?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I flat out don't remember Legacy of the First Blade. What happens in it? (In spoiler tags, plz.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Actually I'm not sure I completed Legacy of the First Blade. Hmm.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That Watch Dogs Legion crossover sure is something. Never thought they’d actually do it.

https://youtu.be/7YpxeHcyFTc

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Whoa, holy crap.

I don't own Watch Dogs Legion (or any of the other Watch Dogs games). The series has never interested me. But that trailer does interest me. Maybe if they put Legion on sale soon I'll pick it up and snag the AC expansion pack. That's likely the only bit of content I'd even bother to play. I just don't really care about modern day "hack anything" gameplay. Not my cup of tea.

But if this is an in-canon Assassin's Creed story set in the modern world, I'm all in for that. Is there a feature list anywhere, or product details? I guess I'll go snooping on UbiSoft websites to see what I can find and learn more about it.

• Options
    Looks like WDL is on sale on Playstation right now. The sale price is $19.99 for PS+ members for the standard edition. Sale ends 8/19, which is tomorrow.

• Options
    There’s been odd little Easter eggs in both series for a while now.

Black Flag had a file on Blume Corporation on one of the computers you could hack. Origins had a photo that was pretty clearly Aidan Pierce in one of the files you can open. In the first Watch Dogs there’s a mission to kill the chief creative officer of Abstergo Entertainment, who was also in Black Flag until he left to go to Chicago (where Watch Dogs 1 is set).

But they always denied they were the same universe and they were just fun little Easter eggs. Guess not anymore.

• Options
    Man. I am really having a hard time finding any documentation for that new Watch Dogs / AC content. Ubisoft doesn't seem to have anything in print about what the new features are, how long it's expected to be, how much gameplay changes are included, or anything at all. Practically no info at all that I can find. I can't find anything on 3rd party sites either. IGN hasn't covered it. Or Polygon. Or Kotaku. Or Gamespot. Nobody even seems to have posted that a new trailer for new DLC dropped.

I'm not gonna spend $20 for the base game for a game I wasn't interested in, and then another $20 for DLC if they're not gonna share any details about it.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man. I am really having a hard time finding any documentation for that new Watch Dogs / AC content. Ubisoft doesn't seem to have anything in print about what the new features are, how long it's expected to be, how much gameplay changes are included, or anything at all. Practically no info at all that I can find. I can't find anything on 3rd party sites either. IGN hasn't covered it. Or Polygon. Or Kotaku. Or Gamespot. Nobody even seems to have posted that a new trailer for new DLC dropped.

I'm not gonna spend $20 for the base game for a game I wasn't interested in, and then another $20 for DLC if they're not gonna share any details about it.

Collider have an article up that says the paid part of the DLC is just Darcy, an assassin, is a recruitable operative for use in the main game. There's also a free update with 2 missions, which are likely involving the Assassin tomb they showed in the trailer.

My guess is you do these two missions and then if you've bought the DLC, you get her as a recruit after completing them.

So it's barely worth getting if you're not interested in Watch Dogs, which is a shame because it's probably the closest we're getting to a proper modern day Assassins Creed.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I really hope they set a new assassins creed in conquistador South America, mainly because I feel like a jungle would look amazing and only be able to be pulled off on next gen tech, and would also provide new opportunities for traversal and stealth. Like having a massive jungle and being able to go from tree tops and vines and stuff would be so fun and new

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Prohass wrote: »
    I really hope they set a new assassins creed in conquistador South America, mainly because I feel like a jungle would look amazing and only be able to be pulled off on next gen tech, and would also provide new opportunities for traversal and stealth. Like having a massive jungle and being able to go from tree tops and vines and stuff would be so fun and new

Rumours for the next game is a more global jaunt with a lot of mini world maps. Set after the third crusade, it takes place in/on: a Greek island, Ragusa (Sicily?), Vienna, Jeruselem, Normandy, Venice and Constantinople.

I also heard they wanted to make is a GAAS in which case booooooourns.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Christ have these companies learned nothing from anthem, marvels avengers, etc. how many times do we have to keep teaching you this lesson old men?!

Also ugh, fine, I guess some people wanted more crusades era stuff. But personally that sounds blegh.

Ah well, I guess eventually they’ll do China and such. I hope if they do try any gaas stuff it fails hard, but then again that won’t stop them trying it over and over

I guess the marketplaces in odyssey and Valhalla must do well

Prohass on
  • Options
    It's going to be interesting if they ever do Japan because Ghost of Tsushima plays pretty much like an Assassins Creed game and absolutely nails it.

It's going to be brought up as a comparison no matter what they do.

I'd really like to see them tackle some more modern (but not too modern) settings. I loved the idea of the Russian WW1 setting for that Chronicles game.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much the best Assassin's Creed game ever made. Sorry Ubisoft.

If they want to do more crusades era stuff, they should do a remake+ of Assassin's Creed 1, staring Altair. Not just a 1:1 remake with better graphics. I want Remake Plus. Expand the world map. Add more content. Improve the combat to something more akin to the modern games. Improve the parkour. Add a ton of side assassinations. Give us more weapons, armor, and things to collect and improve our character. Add more side characters and flesh out that world.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    People keep saying that, but other than being a generic open world action game where you can stab people, sometimes even from stealth, GOT really isn't that much like AC. It's stealth is even less satisfying than ACO's. Whose "stealth" was basically just stabing a few people to get your power meter up and then just using the magic teleport power to stab everyone else.

If anything, HZD was a better AC-like, and that had like 0-verticality (not like modern AC games have any either)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I found GoTs stealth more satisfying than recent AC games. Between having a decent amount of ranged ways to quietly kill people and an escape gadget, I spent a decent chunk of time stealthily killing.

In the recent AC games I don’t find it fun at all so I build for bows and just sit on a high place Predator Shotting everyone.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I found GoTs stealth more satisfying than recent AC games. Between having a decent amount of ranged ways to quietly kill people and an escape gadget, I spent a decent chunk of time stealthily killing.

In the recent AC games I don’t find it fun at all so I build for bows and just sit on a high place Predator Shotting everyone.

I dunno, you can do exactly this as well, and with the right charms get back 2 arrows for every headshot. It gets kind of ridiculous.

But honestly, unless it picks up later, I'm not exactly feeling the stealth game in GoT. It can sometimes be incredibly tricky to actually climb onto buildings and get the high ground, but I can see that being offset by how powerful the high ground is. But... right now I'm completely incentivized to charge in the front gate, easily wipe out 5 enemies in a quick QTE, which potentially terrifies more enemies. And then slaughter the rest of the camp in melee combat. Maybe later on this will be incredibly stupid? Right now it's going pretty well.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Not to be spoilery, Stealth absolutely picks up later with a few things you get mid game.

It should be noted though that while the game lets you choose how to play, mixing it up is absolutely how they want you to play and you’re still not being detected.

Doing a successful stand-off at the front gate usually doesn’t alert the rest of the guards because everyone is dead, drop into stealth to pick off enemies, ranged to take out archers, smoke to get away when you’re detected or to chain assassinate a group, then plough into the camp boss with full adrenaline bar as enemies cower around you.

The mechanics of the enemy AI rewards you for being a scary as shit assassin.

The only time you end up swamped by enemies is you either wanted to, or you fucked up.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    GoT was the best AC game by a mile. If only because it didn't have to deal with the climbing and dumb shit. That stuff was cool back in the 360 era because it broke new ground. I didn't spend 45 minutes looking for a wooden block to shoot and open a door.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    GoT was the best AC game by a mile. If only because it didn't have to deal with the climbing and dumb shit. That stuff was cool back in the 360 era because it broke new ground. I didn't spend 45 minutes looking for a wooden block to shoot and open a door.

But climbing is like, half of the point of AC's gameplay loop (even if the latest games don't really have it). The other half is the social stealth....which the new games also don't have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

But climbing is like, half of the point of AC's gameplay loop (even if the latest games don't really have it). The other half is the social stealth....which the new games also don't have.

Yup.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Holy hell, I finally finished the bloated monstrosity that is Valhalla. By hour 42, I was in Ireland, and getting really bored with the game. So I dropped the difficulty to Easy and did the best I could to speed kill my way through the rest of the game. Took me 73 hours to mainline the main stories (pacifying England and the Order). I didn't even bother with the France quest, and did not resume the Odin stuff.

I don't know if I'll ever play another AC game. Ubisoft finally burnt me out on AC (and probably Far Cry).

Edit: Oh, and I don't even think I understood the ending... need to look at the wiki.

swphreak on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    For me the problem was having to do ALL of england; they should have made some of the regions key regions that were required - the rest were optional. Also, for some reason I didn't give a shit about the actual mythical stuff which was odd, because I really liked it in Odyssey. I think that region just felt oversized and boring.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Personally I think the bigger problem was being able to do regions in (more or less) any order, which means the whole story pacing feels really loose and there's no real sense of momentum as the main thread is disconnected from what you've just done.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    to be fair, Origins and Odyssey had an (kinda) order to each region enforced by a level system and people complained about that.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm playing through it to satisfy my OCD map-fucking tendencies. 80 hours in, I'm enjoying it.
    I didn't know it'd be the last AC game I'd ever play when I bought it, but it looks like it will be unless Ubisoft drop their NFT plans which offend me on a fundamental level.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    Having read the wiki, the ending and the game makes a bit more sense. I guess skipping side quests caused me to miss some stuff.

I definitely forgot/missed a bunch of this Isu stuff from older games. Who even follows that stuff.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm playing through it to satisfy my OCD map-fucking tendencies. 80 hours in, I'm enjoying it.
    I didn't know it'd be the last AC game I'd ever play when I bought it, but it looks like it will be unless Ubisoft drop their NFT plans which offend me on a fundamental level.

I half wonder if you play the game like an hour a day or something around that much the game is much less offensive. I had a friend who was nursing the game for a full year and loved it. I tried to get it done in about a week and it just wore thin.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I half wonder if you play the game like an hour a day or something around that much the game is much less offensive. I had a friend who was nursing the game for a full year and loved it. I tried to get it done in about a week and it just wore thin.

There is absolutely a burnout potential on those games, especially if you play them like a job.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

There is absolutely a burnout potential on those games, especially if you play them like a job.

Yeah I have a problem playing more than a couple games at once. I noticed that if moved to another game then I had like 40 games where I'm 80% complete lol. So I have a rule of 3 or 4 games going on at once. So when I started AC I had to finish it to move on to my other PS5 games.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Eivor also was incredibly boring. Female Eivor v/o was just an incredible drop in quality from Kassandra.

• Options
    Kassandra was fucking awesome. I never finished the game but I could hear her talk about literally anything.

• Options

That's why I couldn't get into it when it first came out. I had accelerated my playthrough to be ready for literally the night Valhalla released, but then the map was broken (opals you collected would remain on the map even though there was nothing to loot) and they took an extremely long time to fix that. I more or less completely lost interest in the game in that time, but it triggered my OCD so badly I just couldn't get through it.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I just can't see why AC needs to be a GaaS. I'm not feet-in-the-sand against GaaS but I just don't see the point here. AC games are already huge, sprawling affairs that keep my attention (in fits) over very long periods of time.

It's to help them get away from their entire business model depending on enormous sales of single games costing 100's of millions of dollars to produce, presumably. It's risky AF and the price of games is not inflating at the same rate of cost of development.
    Eivor also was incredibly boring. Female Eivor v/o was just an incredible drop in quality from Kassandra.

Male Eivor was definitely the way to go in this one.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think I must be the only one who enjoyed Girl Eivor

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades