As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Twelve Days of [chat]mas

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I was always a fan of Turtledove's 'The Road Not Taken' where aliens are basically stagnated at medieval tech levels, but stumbled on interstellar travel that's pretty much age of sail. Somehow humanity missed the simple space travel and instead kept climbing up the tech ladder.

Then the aliens come to 1970ish earth like conquistadors thinking we'll be a pushover and get absolutely lit up by basic modern military hardware and basically shit themselves when they realize we figured out the tech and have nukes.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm very late but I support all of @Blameless Cleric 's use of punctuation

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i have replaced the lightbulb that went in the kitchen

i would like my housemate of the year award now thank you

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Make sure to leave an invoice on the fridge for the other housemates' share of the bulb, plus labour costs

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i have replaced the lightbulb that went in the kitchen

i would like my housemate of the year award now thank you

i have replaced
    the lightbulb
    that went in
    the kitchen

Award me
    they were dark
    so dark
    and now bright

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Have y'all noticed that every single Greek mythology game has the Brad Pitt leaping stab from Troy? It's the real legacy of that film

I love it

• Options
    don't worry i left it broken for a day so everyone knows it was gone and that only i, the great new housemate who works from home, could have changed it

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Have y'all noticed that every single Greek mythology game has the Brad Pitt leaping stab from Troy? It's the real legacy of that film

I love it

Achilles' up B is totally busted

gods pls nerf

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I love it

Also, the Spartan Kick.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I love it

Also, the Spartan Kick.

heck even Dead Cells has the Spartan Sandal as a weapon

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    nn0q4zxt3ngw.jpg

Best foraest mann jape of 1497

Foraest Mann: hwaet! Hath ye haerd thee foraest mann menagerie eascape?

Menagerie Stewaerd: nae

Foraest Mann: beest me silent foraest mann!

[Pugslism sounds]

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

"The brown one" sounds like some sort of racial slur

Is this a Night Vale reference

The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home is a recurring character

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    here's to hoping the 😷 puts a firm boot in the flu

when I was watching March Comes in Like a Lion all the scenes where characters get the flu or a bad cold and are quarantined, wear masks when they have to go out and the ppl who take care of them wear masks..... that really stood out to me lol

definitely continuing masking up after this honestly

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    okay exam done

that went well

soooo close to the end now, last exam is friday

I can taste the christmas holiday

What did you put for question 2?

I drew a seal wearing a hat

kind of abstract art but I used a lot of my coloured pens

(I actually did because part of question 2 was "draw microstructure of a eutectoid Al-Cu alloy")

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I was always a fan of Turtledove's 'The Road Not Taken' where aliens are basically stagnated at medieval tech levels, but stumbled on interstellar travel that's pretty much age of sail. Somehow humanity missed the simple space travel and instead kept climbing up the tech ladder.

Then the aliens come to 1970ish earth like conquistadors thinking we'll be a pushover and get absolutely lit up by basic modern military hardware and basically shit themselves when they realize we figured out the tech and have nukes.

I once read an essay arguing that the Southern Song dynasty had reached the verge of an industrial revolution about five hundred years earlier, but climatic oscillation suddenly gave the Central Asian steppe's Mongols to their north far, far, far too many horses for a society that was not already industrialized to answer

I guess the concept works the other way too

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    here's to hoping the 😷 puts a firm boot in the flu

when I was watching March Comes in Like a Lion all the scenes where characters get the flu or a bad cold and are quarantined, wear masks when they have to go out and the ppl who take care of them wear masks..... that really stood out to me lol

definitely continuing masking up after this honestly

I've got four unopened multi-use masks, each good for 20 washes

You bet I'm still masking up for at least the next 80 trips out of the house

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    the vaccine isnt a virus so you cant get sick from it or spread the virus to others

i thought the question was more "can i get the vaccine, get the virus and be asymptomatic because the vaccine got rid of all of the potency but still spread it?"
    oh perhaps but what I was referencing was Shaz's question about producing virus as a result of the vaccine

oh, no, i'm not that dumb, i also meant the sterilized immunity thing, of being able to spread it even if vaccinated

poo
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    maybe I should ask for control for xmas

yall liked it when it came out, I think, and bogart's been talking about it

hmm

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    also I stayed up all night watching Locke and Key and I enjoyed it a lot esp because it is about a house that is wildly similar to my house and also one of the houses I usually work at lol

it does have 3 patently absurd glaring plot holes but I mean, it's goofy, it's fine

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I love it

That leaping stab is the dumbest fuckin thing of all time. Rule number one of fighting: all the power in your strikes come from your hips rotating and your legs pressing against the ground. When you're throwing a strike your feet should be planted on the ground so you can get the proper rotational forces involved in the strike. By jumping before you throw your strike you take most of the power out of that strike.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    also I stayed up all night watching Locke and Key and I enjoyed it a lot esp because it is about a house that is wildly similar to my house and also one of the houses I usually work at lol

it does have 3 patently absurd glaring plot holes but I mean, it's goofy, it's fine

have you read the comix? I remember liking them

I like joe hill in general, one of his books (heart shaped box?) gave me some good spoops

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

The comic book is pretty good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Is it true that CPDR put a replica of a seizure inducing machine into Cyberpunk 2077?

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

I love it

That leaping stab is the dumbest fuckin thing of all time. Rule number one of fighting: all the power in your strikes come from your hips rotating and your legs pressing against the ground. When you're throwing a strike your feet should be planted on the ground so you can get the proper rotational forces involved in the strike. By jumping before you throw your strike you take most of the power out of that strike.

This is, specifically, why it's so good

It's dumb and it looks cool

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    BC, is your bluetooth still haunted?

• Options
    Is it true that CPDR put a replica of a seizure inducing machine into Cyberpunk 2077?

apparently its a requirement for the story

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    It is most certainly top notch stage fighting. Flashy, looks vicious, totally ineffective. Perfect stage combat.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    What I did appreciate about Troy is that they did plenty of fighting with short spears

You don't see much of that, probably it's hard to make them look cool because they're so simple and direct

But I love spears, stylistically

Also a lot of use of shields, which is crucial

That was a bad film but it was fun

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

It's not necessarily a replica, but it apparently is at least very similar.

I have tried real hard to google whatever the seizure inducing machine is and I can't find it, but I am not a seizure doctor, nor a supervillain.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

I love it

I wouldn't say that's rule number one of swordfighting, because they're swords and plenty deadly

it ain't boxing

rule number one is probably don't get got

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Kamiro wrote: »
    BC, is your bluetooth still haunted?

it's tried to do it again a couple of times but I've gotten good at quickly disconnecting and reconnecting it which seems to prevent it from making the weird sounds

still, why THOSE sounds? Why the sound of a woman talking from far away? What sounds like a basketball game?? No fucking clue

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Not really, but the end result is still bad. They put an event in the main story that strobes lights in a fashion similar to a medical device used in testing epileptic response when the character puts a certain headset on. This got missed all the way up to review time, in which a reviewer actually had a seizure.

Then, when they reported on it in their review, the internet asshole brigade sent the reviewer animated images designed to induce seizures.

Some days, I want the virus to win.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

then they decided to drop rocks on us, right?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Not really, but the end result is still bad. They put an event in the main story that strobes lights in a fashion similar to a medical device used in testing epileptic response when the character puts a certain headset on. This got missed all the way up to review time, in which a reviewer actually had a seizure.

Then, when they reported on it in their review, the internet asshole brigade sent the reviewer animated images designed to induce seizures.

Some days, I want the virus to win.

The Internet asshole brigade is trying even harder than cdpr to get me to not want to play this game

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It's not necessarily a replica, but it apparently is at least very similar.

I have tried real hard to google whatever the seizure inducing machine is and I can't find it, but I am not a seizure doctor, nor a supervillain.

A real one, at least the one Ive seen, is two very bright lights flashing between red and white out of sequence with each other. Even without being prone to seizures its extremely unpleasant.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I like the part when Palpatine says no

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

I love it

But he is the Best Warrior so he has plenty of power. He's obviously showing off and being flashy for his men and also to demoralize the enemy.

This discussion has been closed.