Options

Find a [job] thread you enjoy, and you will never have to post a day in your life

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    You are 100% not alone. Even really amazing veteran teachers who are very tech savvy are struggling with the same things you are.

Can absolutely confirm.

Do not let this year make you think you're a bad teacher. It's a stupid dumb school year with a whole lot of baggage for everyone.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    starting to crash from lack of sleep

send caffeine/sugar iv or maybe some coccaine

that's what the kids do these days right?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Some part of my cubicle/monitor/mouse/chair situation is causing my arms to hurt

I asked my manager if our company has any kind of workplace ergonomics person

My desk is functionally a plank bolted to the wall of my cubicle, I cannot adjust the things I think I need to adjust to not be in pain

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So my union is pissed the fuck off at the school district for just deciding to go to 100% students without any discussion or any sign of vaccines. They are asking teachers to send them the square footage of their rooms with how many students we are supposed to cram into them. They are also demanding that we don't return to 100% until vaccines happen.

The district is saying that the other districts aren't having issues being at 100%, but they are all rich white school districts. Our students are living in 1 bedroom apartments with 3 generations and six siblings.

We'll see if anything happens. I'm not getting my hopes up.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article248489130.html

If it helps, an example to toss around. They didn'tt even make it 2 weeks

This is a rich white suburb.

It's 2021, we must all personally touch the fire before acknowledging it is hot.

And then try again in two weeks.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    starting to crash from lack of sleep

send caffeine/sugar iv or maybe some coccaine

that's what the kids do these days right?

Four Loko?

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Sounds like you care a lot about your students' performance and they're lucky to have you @Desserted

Is there a colleague who you can talk to and compare experiences?

Hope it will all turn out OK!

Btw - I've seen several classes at my institution increase marks artificially to compensate for the pandemic (under a "No Detriment" policy) - even teachers with over 10 years of experience can't make this stressful situation magically go away for students and decided to just inflate scores to match past year's performance.... : (

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Welp, I just sent an email that will probably cost someone their job. Maybe it will be me! However, regardless of the outcome, a certain issue will be resolved for good, I believe.

Update: Still employed; the "issue" is being addressed and asked to account for her time.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    late but adding to the chorus @Desserted - your experience mirrors every single one of my teacher friend's this year, and the fact that you still care, have the skills to try and make things work for the students, and haven't just checked out yourself is putting you into at least the upper quartile of educators right now. Do not take it as a reflection on you personally. Most students are hard to motivate under the best of circumstances and for a lot of them, these are basically the worst.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you care a lot about your students' performance and they're lucky to have you Desserted

Is there a colleague who you can talk to and compare experiences?

Hope it will all turn out OK!

Btw - I've seen several classes at my institution increase marks artificially to compensate for the pandemic (under a "No Detriment" policy) - even teachers with over 10 years of experience can't make this stressful situation magically go away for students and decided to just inflate scores to match past year's performance.... : (

Yeah my department has been really supportive and they sound like they're all in similar positions. This is a little comforting, but it still doesn't make it much less stressful. Logically I know that I'm probably doing okay based on where everyone else is, but my brain doesn't buy it.

We're also adjusting grades for similar reasons, which I have a lot of feelings about, and think it's probably for the best.

Thanks for being supportive all!

• Options
    Glad to hear you have a supportive department @Desserted !
    Agree 100% with @tynic - I know some great teachers who burnt out this year, reading your posts is inspiring as you're clearly working so hard not letting that happen

I hope just one more semester of this craziness and then enough people will be vaccinated that we can have face-to-face classes... so much easier to engage students offline....

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't imagine how badly I would have done as a student in the current situation

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I mean, teachers aren't taught how to do this, generally. There are some online models, but most online classes were self- selected before, so the examples people have are a bit skewed.
    Most schools are centered around having kids in classes, and while there are many good reasons not to do that currently, there are no easy ways to completely change everything.
    I'm amazed at what teachers have been able to do with what they have.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ahh! AAAHHH! turns out my manager knows one of my good friends! He used to try to get into the pants of her best friend back in the long ago days when they were all students!
    I HAVE to use this knowledge for evil, but I don't know how.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    honestly just telling him that you now work for that person, the mortification is probably enough to make him turn inside out

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Really thankful that my shifts have me isolated at night.

Makes my breakup.... slightly bearable.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I have a slight bit of confusion that I wish to ask you all about, especially if you are good with payroll/HR/contracts? Maybe?

Anyway, I started with this company October 7, 2019, signed a contract prior to that that set my salary at $50,000 before taxes
    My first full year was 2020 of course, and mid-year I got a raise of 10%, making my salary $55,000

Why then does my tax paperwork say that I made a gross of ~$47,000?

We get paid 2x per month, for a total of 24 checks. My paycheck was never less than I expected. Did they do the math wrong? I am at a loss of what to do about this

Goose! on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Did your company pay the payroll tax? in lew of it's removal?
    President Donald Trump's payroll tax holiday, a temporary suspension of employees' 6.2% share of the Social Security tax, takes effect on September 1 and runs until the end of the year. Recent guidance from the IRS doesn't explicitly say that employers must participate. Companies that do may give employees the choice of opting into the deferral, but it will depend on the employer. Employees who participate in the deferral will see a short-term increase in pay. But they will face "double withholding" in the first four months of 2021, so participants' take-home pay will go down during that period.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I spent way too much time today creating "Old man yells at" icons for Slack because my company only had the one "Old man yells at cloud." Since I don't really know yet what I'll be yelling most at at work since I'm not doing cases yet, I just covered most of my bases: Old man yells at AWS, Google Cloud, Jira, Gmail, VPN, Confluence, Atlassian, Salesforce, Okta and of course I made on for Splunk, too. Surely everyone wants to yell at the company's main product some days, right?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I had a boat load of overtime but since they are on their anti overtime litany again
    I go in at midnight but mentally I keep clicking over to get ready for yet another slug fest of a F you Friday
    my fingers this morning were a tender mess of fire and though it's not as bad right now I know it will be again in the morning

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    @Brainleech I recall that you applied to your local Kroger subsidiary and got turned down, but it's been long enough that if you apply again it's a fresh start and also I'm still open to giving you an internal referral, you just have to actually PM me your details.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I spent way too much time today creating "Old man yells at" icons for Slack because my company only had the one "Old man yells at cloud." Since I don't really know yet what I'll be yelling most at at work since I'm not doing cases yet, I just covered most of my bases: Old man yells at AWS, Google Cloud, Jira, Gmail, VPN, Confluence, Atlassian, Salesforce, Okta and of course I made on for Splunk, too. Surely everyone wants to yell at the company's main product some days, right?

Please add Microsoft, Linux (red hat or otherwise), Oracle, and Solarwinds to that list. :) Anything more than that and you start getting into niche university software that no one at splink would understand because we are all too cheap.

... Maybe git/lab/hub and elastic search?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Please add Microsoft, Linux (red hat or otherwise), Oracle, and Solarwinds to that list. :) Anything more than that and you start getting into niche university software that no one at splink would understand because we are all too cheap.

I'm sad it's so hard to tell what they are at Slack emoji size, but I did add Microsoft, Linux and Github. (the three at the bottom)

r1s8zja3tgfo.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I have a slight bit of confusion that I wish to ask you all about, especially if you are good with payroll/HR/contracts? Maybe?

Anyway, I started with this company October 7, 2019, signed a contract prior to that that set my salary at $50,000 before taxes
    My first full year was 2020 of course, and mid-year I got a raise of 10%, making my salary $55,000

Why then does my tax paperwork say that I made a gross of ~$47,000?

We get paid 2x per month, for a total of 24 checks. My paycheck was never less than I expected. Did they do the math wrong? I am at a loss of what to do about this

Do you have a 401k?

Could be it’s listing your taxable income

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Yeah it's most likely any benefits you have.

For example my company allows us to buy extra annual leave, which comes off the gross not the net pay.

It also means your tax is slightly lower, so there's a small benefit there

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I'm sad it's so hard to tell what they are at Slack emoji size, but I did add Microsoft, Linux and Github. (the three at the bottom)

r1s8zja3tgfo.jpg

How about "Old Man Yells at Old Man Yelling at Image"

• Options
    @Brainleech you see my messages?

I am at work with sore fingers so it's hard to use the phone to check

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Brainleech you see my messages?

I am at work with sore fingers so it's hard to use the phone to check

Got a lead, security work in Arizona, contract stuff. Talking with dude now. Get back to me when you can

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Okay, thanks folks. I'm glad I checked first before asking my job wtf

• Options
    Got a notification that my workshop safety training expires on the 18th and I have to retake the course before then.
    Well the 18th is a public holiday and I don't wanna lock myself down to doing work then, so I figured I'd take it now while I had an hour or so to spare.

"This course cannot be re-acquired before 17th January. The deadline for completion is 18th January."

:?

:? :? :?

:mad:

• Options
    Our employer's added a bunch of required online safety training sessions- largely overlapping and some seeming totally pointless...

A co-worker joked they'd pay their 11yr old to do some of them - do you want me to check if that kid is still available @tynic ? : P

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ughhh I'm doing iata (hazardous materials shipping) training. And I support the idea ! But test questions like "which regulation covers dry ice? 506,507,508, or 509" on top of timed slides makes me turn on YouTube and click through to blitz the tests because I'm not gonna remember those details anyway.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Why is it that safety training is always the jankiest media you're likely to encounter? It's all Poser 3 mannequin animation and monotone readings of entire paragraphs and multiple-choice questions that are either insultingly obvious or nitpickingly impossible.

Hire some Buzzfeed freelancers and make your stupid shit palatable, you're trying to save lives here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I love the janky animations. I get weirded out when I see newer stuff with flashier effects.

• Options

r1s8zja3tgfo.jpg

How about "Old Man Yells at Old Man Yelling at Image"

Meh, I dunno. Maybe later.

But I just realized today that I forgot the most IMPORTANT old man yells at icon.

mt5cipzeur54.jpg

Old man yells at ping.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    I know some of my reports will want to work remote full time, but I also know my boss won't go for it. I might try to get work from home Fridays permanently.

I also kinda suspect that one or two of them might not be putting in full days because we don't do any spy shit and I don't ping them that often, but I've definitely noticed 2+ hour away periods around lunch and towards the end of days.

So are you missing a lot of productivity?

The trouble is one person had just started shortly before COVID hit, so I don't have a good calibration point for what their 100% up to speed productivity should be. They need to step it up, but they are the new guy so yeah I do not expect them to perform like an experienced person just yet. But this is also the one who I notice is hard to get ahold of during the day, so that would explain the lack of productivity. They are doing the work that they are given, but it takes longer than I would hope, and they are doing zero work beyond what I specifically ask them to do. Like they have a queue of tasks assigned to them that is probably several weeks worth of work, but they've never just moved on to the next task on their own when finishing the previous one. I always have to get involved.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've come close to having that happen before.
    I know some of my reports will want to work remote full time, but I also know my boss won't go for it. I might try to get work from home Fridays permanently.

I also kinda suspect that one or two of them might not be putting in full days because we don't do any spy shit and I don't ping them that often, but I've definitely noticed 2+ hour away periods around lunch and towards the end of days.

The trouble is one person had just started shortly before COVID hit, so I don't have a good calibration point for what their 100% up to speed productivity should be. They need to step it up, but they are the new guy so yeah I do not expect them to perform like an experienced person just yet. But this is also the one who I notice is hard to get ahold of during the day, so that would explain the lack of productivity. They are doing the work that they are given, but it takes longer than I would hope, and they are doing zero work beyond what I specifically ask them to do. Like they have a queue of tasks assigned to them that is probably several weeks worth of work, but they've never just moved on to the next task on their own when finishing the previous one. I always have to get involved.

Yea you gotta pick up the phone. I'm probably at 60% productivity right now but I still make a point to pick up the phone or answer my IMs even when I'm fucking off. It's endeared me to the other departments because to the rest of the company it seems like I'm kicking ass. I'm still doing my core job to be clear, but I am not putting in any extra right now, just coasting.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I've come close to having that happen before.

Yea you gotta pick up the phone. I'm probably at 60% productivity right now but I still make a point to pick up the phone or answer my IMs even when I'm fucking off. It's endeared me to the other departments because to the rest of the company it seems like I'm kicking ass. I'm still doing my core job to be clear, but I am not putting in any extra right now, just coasting.

Yeah I really can't imagine a world where I'm not easily reachable by boss or coworkers. Especially since I'm just training right now so I'm not doing anything that I can't easily pull away from to respond.

• Options
    I've been told I respond to emails too quickly and my course team is worried I'm going to burn myself out.
    I appreciate the worry but also, how else can I get thigs done during this pandemic?
    It's not like we can all meet and talk in person...

I like your work ethic @webguy20 - with 60%, I bet your quality of work is high & no risk od burnout

• Options
    I've been told I respond to emails too quickly and my course team is worried I'm going to burn myself out.
    I appreciate the worry but also, how else can I get thigs done during this pandemic?
    It's not like we can all meet and talk in person...

Ooof, no one has told me yet I respond too fast, but I worry that I'm too responsive sometimes. I also can't not be, it's not really a choice I'm making. The inability to leave a DM or text message unresponded to is one of those things that made my dating life terrible because I have no chill. Thank God I married a man who doesn't think I'm too enthusiastic and I never have to try to fake chill ever again.

This discussion has been closed.