Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This 10900K definitely "crunched" when I latched the socket down. It's the LGA pins pushing in to the CPU pads.

PCIe slots: Makes a satisfying "click" when you put it in correctly
    AMD AMD4 slots: Zero resistance, zero force, zero worries, first time go
    Intel LGA slot: THREE WORDS: RUNNING. OVER. BONES.

AMD chips can still get ripped out of their socket if you're not careful with the heatsink.

Yup, did that with the 3600, heh.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    This 10900K definitely "crunched" when I latched the socket down. It's the LGA pins pushing in to the CPU pads.

AMD chips can still get ripped out of their socket if you're not careful with the heatsink.

As someone looking to buy a 3600, how do I avoid this?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Mr Ray wrote: »

The only way I avoided it back when I had a 1090T was to twist the heat sink after I loosened it. Probably not the best solution but it worked (seriously you shouldn’t do this). Another thing that helps is a warm heat sink, but it’s not a guarantee.

Alternatively nowadays, you can use one of the pyrolytic graphite pads and avoid the issue entirely.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    @Mr Ray Note that these concerns only apply if you are upgrading your CPU and not installing for the first time.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

The only way I avoided it back when I had a 1090T was to twist the heat sink after I loosened it. Probably not the best solution but it worked (seriously you shouldn’t do this). Another thing that helps is a warm heat sink, but it’s not a guarantee.

Alternatively nowadays, you can use one of the pyrolytic graphite pads and avoid the issue entirely.

It’s not that big a deal really, just something to be aware of when using any processor with a pga as opposed to lga socket. “Ripped” makes it sound a lot more destructive than it should be, it’s really just the CPU taking a ride on the bottom of your cooler because the force of suction between the contact plate and lid is greater than the force holding the cpu in the socket (which is mostly the pressure from the cooling mount, which is of course gone when you remove the cooler natch)

Best thing to do is just be gentle while removing the cooler then, if the cpu is stuck on the bottom, gently twisting it off to break the tension between the thermal paste and the surfaces

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    @Mr Ray Note that these concerns only apply if you are upgrading your CPU and not installing for the first time.

Basically it's a non-issue unless you're reseating the heatsink for some reason

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Newegg Shuffle is up. 5950x, 5900x, and 5800x, along with consoles.

Edit: rather, will be up in about half an hour.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Won a 5900X last week, lets see if I can win a 5950X for my workstation this week!

Somewhat related my Gallahad 360 arrived today. Going to get it installed and strapped to this 10900K, get my 5.2ghz OC stable and cool and run a bunch of comparative benchmarks in my very specific use cases (high frame rate VR) before my 5900X gets here Wednesday. Very curious to see which one wins for my specific use cases.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Thank you for this. Put in for a Series X and a 5800x

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Thank you for the heads up! I put in for all of them with 5 minutes to spare.

Fingers crossed.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Can Canadians do the shuffle?

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »

Not sure US Newegg will chip to Canada, since there is a Newegg.ca...but it might have it's own shuffle.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hmm. This new motherboard seems to fall behind on time fairly rapidly - three minutes behind in under a week since last I synced the time.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hmm. This new motherboard seems to fall behind on time fairly rapidly - three minutes behind in under a week since last I synced the time.

CMOS battery?

Though I've noticed it's an increasing trend in the last few years. Why bother when it just syncs to the internet would be my guess.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Got an email that they added a 5800x to my cart and i had til 7pm to checkout.

Go to my cart and it says it was removed from my cart due to insufficient stock

Edit: nvr mind, I'm stupid, I had to sign in again and it is there.

Really want a series X, not this chip.

Wish I could transfer it to someone here who is wanting one.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

Not sure US Newegg will chip to Canada, since there is a Newegg.ca...but it might have it's own shuffle.

Yeah doesn’t seem like it yet unfortunately.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Got an email that they added a 5800x to my cart and i had til 7pm to checkout.

Go to my cart and it says it was removed from my cart due to insufficient stock

Edit: nvr mind, I'm stupid, I had to sign in again and it is there.

Really want a series X, not this chip.

Wish I could transfer it to someone here who is wanting one.

I'm in the same boat. Now that I can buy it I'm kinda on the fence and would transfer if I could.

• Options
    Didn't get a 5950X in this shuffle. Probably for the best anyway.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    What’s the consensus on the 5800x then? Runs hotter, sometimes concerningly so, not as good value as the 5600 or 5900?

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Catalase wrote: »
    What’s the consensus on the 5800x then? Runs hotter, sometimes concerningly so, not as good value as the 5600 or 5900?

Never heard of it running that much hotter, but it's widely considered a bad value. If you're willing to spend 400+ just save a little extra and get a 5900X. Otherwise the 5600X is much better value, though likely not as good a value as the eventual 5600 will be.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

That said, as a 5800x owner, its actually a ridiculously good chip. And with a fairly basic 240mm AIO cooler running the fans low, it sits at 39c idle, in the 50s during gaming, and mid 70s when I am benchmarking it specifically, using only the pre-applied thermal paste on the cooler. I could easily do better with better cooling, but its irrelevant to do so.

I've gotten it through PBO2 to jump up to over 5000Mhz, it has 8 cores / 16 threads which puts it at parity with the modern consoles as opposed to behind like the 5600x is... and literally nothing I am playing is CPU limited, in fact the CPU only gets taxed in benchmarks designed to tax the CPU. I get over 12,000 CPU in time Spy, compared to a little over 14,000 for a 5950 and around 13,500 for a 5900. Noticable in benchmarks, but again... games barely touch 25% of my CPU right now.

And the 5900x or 5950x is even more future-proofed, but makes zero sense from a gaming perspective unless you do streaming, video/media encoding and gaming off of the same machine concurrently.

I think the answer is that the 5600x will do everything the 5800x can do right now, but that will be less true 3-4 years from now when the baseline are the modern consoles and devs are expecting that many cores. Long-term, the 5800x might be the sweet spot for gaming through the current console generation, though the 5600x is the sweet spot at this moment since it will be some time before developers start optimizing for systems like this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    And of course the ever-neglected fact that all these benchmarks that HUB et al run are on clean machines that aren't doing anything else but run the game and the benchmarking software.

IDK about you guys but I often like to run other programs in tandem. It's kinda nice to know that you have enough cores to run the games and a couple left over for whatever else is going in with your PC.

EDIT also in the UK at least, the per-core prices for the 5600X and the 5800X aren't that different. £280 vs £400... close enough. The 5900X is "better value" but it's also essentially mythical.

V1m on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Ok guess I’ll need to adjust my theoretical PC build. Some good points to be made for the 5800x over the 5600x. That does push the price up a good $200.

Mind you this freaking machine is going to stay theoretical if it remains impossible to get parts.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Ok guess I’ll need to adjust my theoretical PC build. Some good points to be made for the 5800x over the 5600x. That does push the price up a good $200.

Mind you this freaking machine is going to stay theoretical if it remains impossible to get parts.

FWIW, I picked up a 5600x recently because it was available and I just wanted to build my computer. In a few years when game devs start leaning on the expected core count in the consoles and actually using it hopefully parts will be more available and I can pick up an AM4 processor with the same core count. But in the meantime I've got a system built around a modern processor instead of a 3rd Gen i5.

Financial situations might be different, obviously.

Steam
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I bought a 5600x for now and I'll probably upgrade to a 5800x if it's necessary in a year or two, once the price comes down to a more reasonable $350

Rius on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    By the time you need to upgrade it you'll probably be able to do better than a 5800X for the money. There's fairly solid rumours of a "Zen3+" due out at the end of this year, with slightly better IPC and a bit more clockspeed. 400-series boards will not run it, but the 500s should.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    By the time you need to upgrade it you'll probably be able to do better than a 5800X for the money. There's fairly solid rumours of a "Zen3+" due out at the end of this year, with slightly better IPC and a bit more clockspeed. 400-series boards will not run it, but the 500s should.

I thought they were jettisoning AM4 after the 5000 series.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    BB GPU drop happening right now

Edit: Damn, I'm never fast enough for the Gigabyte Vision

double edit: looks like I was too slow for any of 'em; goddamn mandatory work all-staff training meetings

Rius on
  • Options
    3090 Aorus get. Good god that was an ordeal. I originally had a 3080 added to my cart and no stores in my area would let me pick up at checkout, until I finally got a message that nowhere within 250 miles had to card. Like, why even let me add to cart at that point? :rotate:

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    3090 Aorus get. Good god that was an ordeal. I originally had a 3080 added to my cart and no stores in my area would let me pick up at checkout, until I finally got a message that nowhere within 250 miles had to card. Like, why even let me add to cart at that point? :rotate:

Months ago, when they added (and for a while, forced) store pickup, it altered their site so more folks could get to the "checkout" button with a product in cart than actually existed products in inventory. So those messages, no instore pickup within 250 miles, no shipping to home, means you were too slow to checkout =/ Happens pretty often with the 3080s.

• Options
    Gigabyte Aorus 3090 and Asus TUF 3090 are still showing in stock, 3080s are cleaned out

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

double edit: looks like I was too slow for any of 'em; goddamn mandatory work all-staff training meetings

The button never turns yellow again.

Steam
  • Options
    Just snagged a 3070! The 3080s went out as I started trying to add to my cart, but I'm pretty happy I got something and can always upgrade down the line.

• Options
    expendable wrote: »

Yeah, if you got to best buy this morning based on my post, the odds are pretty against you for getting through their mini-queues unless you're looking for a 3090. But I posted anyway 'cause miracles can happen.

I did predict a Tuesday drop back on Friday afternoon! At this rough time, even. Best Buy is very predictable.

• Options
    expendable wrote: »

Yeah, if you got to best buy this morning based on my post, the odds are pretty against you for getting through their mini-queues unless you're looking for a 3090. But I posted anyway 'cause miracles can happen.

I did predict a Tuesday drop back on Friday afternoon! At this rough time, even. Best Buy is very predictable.

Yeah. I've been through the Best Buy rodeo before and it never seems to matter for me. If it weren't for y'all occasionally posting here that you actually got something I'd be convinced that real people never got anything and it was all just a sham.

Steam
  • Options
    Actually cancelled mine, thought it was an Aorus and it was the Gaming version. So there's a 3090 floating around out there if anyone wants it. :)

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I assume if I got all the way through with order confirmation / charged card its actually going to ship, right? Because I barely made it on the last card - none of the other tabs turned yellow and were all sold out when I refreshed the 30xx page as soon as it completed.

I'm going to be really bummed if BB ends up cancelling, but getting a Gigabyte 3070 for $599 makes me quite happy. 2/3 faster than my current 1070 Ti and ray tracing! A 3080 was preferred but whatever after four months. I'll trade up if I get through the EVGA queue before they jack up to the tariff rate.

• Options
    I think if you actually got the order confirmation from BB you're good.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Yeah, BB doesn't cancel orders like Newegg does. You might get delayed a week or two, especially if you were one of the last orders to squeak in, but you'll get it eventually.

• Options
    whee now that more stock is trickling back in to BB I've been IP banned for some stupid reason

5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.