Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Raising the price does nothing. Scalpers are raising the price, it's not magically making it easier to find a part. This is 100% a supply problem.

Scalpers are finding the cost on the supply/demand curve that we are collectively willing to pay. So raising the price does something: it puts more of the money in the suppliers' hands, and less in the scalpers' hands.

I'm not willing to pay the current price so I'm sitting this out for the moment.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Raising the price does nothing. Scalpers are raising the price, it's not magically making it easier to find a part. This is 100% a supply problem.

Scalpers are finding the cost on the supply/demand curve that we are collectively willing to pay. So raising the price does something: it puts more of the money in the suppliers' hands, and less in the scalpers' hands.

I'm not willing to pay the current price so I'm sitting this out for the moment.

Ok, does nothing to alleviate the shortage, to be more accurate. But it's not like 0 people have gotten parts at MSRP. Raising the price hurts those consumers, helps none, and maybe gets rid of scalpers. That's a hard pass super chieftain.

• Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    Just started looking at NZXT, seems to be MSRP with a flat $100 assembly fee. They don't have any 5800X, but it looks like I can get a 5900X for a similar total cost I was seeing on ibuypower. Any red flags in this build?

CASE: NZXT H710 (BLACK)
    GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX™ 3070 - ZOTAC TWIN EDGE OC
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7GHz
    CPU COOLING: NZXT Kraken X53
    MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RGB 3600MHz (max speed) 16GB (2X8GB)
    SSD: MSRP Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1.0 TB
    POWER:EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G5 Gold

• Options

Ok, does nothing to alleviate the shortage, to be more accurate. But it's not like 0 people have gotten parts at MSRP. Raising the price hurts those consumers, helps none, and maybe gets rid of scalpers. That's a hard pass super chieftain.

The only thing that alleviates the shortage in the way you want is more supply.

Which, fine, we all want more supply, but let me know when it arrives.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

Theoretically, higher MSRP goes towards expanding capacity. Because it's better to sell 3000 widgets at $100 than 1000 widgets at $200. Part of why command economies have so many shortages is because price discovery is killed, and you are stuck with a certain manufacturing capacity, sold at prices that dont allow expansion to meet demand.

Obviously that's not always how things work. We are currently seeing MSRP held artificially low so as to not inflame consumer sentiment. Were MSRP to be raised, it's not even a sure thing nvidia could increase production. They are a fabless company after all. TSMC is constantly expanding production, and yet still falling behind demand. Other fabs cant get close to their capacity and quality. Rumors of Samsung utterly failing for Nvidia ring true to me.

I guess Tldr is I really hope Intel doesnt sell the fab side of their business. If they can just hold out until China invades Taiwan they'll be in the catbird seat.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Just started looking at NZXT, seems to be MSRP with a flat $100 assembly fee. They don't have any 5800X, but it looks like I can get a 5900X for a similar total cost I was seeing on ibuypower. Any red flags in this build?

Looks super solid but I'd consider 4x8 for that memory cause (a) 16GB is minimum for a machine these days and 32GB should hold out as long as the rest of your build should (b) you want to fill your ranks up on the Ryzen 5000s, 2x16 or 4x8 usually do so but 2x8 usually doesn't, this is a performance gain for free (c) aesthetics of 4x8 with blingy RAM like that is nice and you aren't using an air cooler so you see it all.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Ryzen 5800s are now easily available in the the UK, to the extent that they're actually being discounted. The "per core" price is now in a par with the 5600X (£300 for the 5600X, £400 for the 5800X, give or take £10.) and availability is actually better. There are indications that the supply situation is easing, and while I wouldn't at all mind getting a 5900X, those are still scarce as hen's teeth.

AMD GPUs are simply not available at reasonable prices (£750 for a 6800 non-XT? lolnop!), and Nvidia GPUs barely more so. I have said previously that there's not much point upgrading my CPU while I can't upgrade my video card, but now I'm wondering if I should get what I can get while I can get it.

Opinions?

What are you swinging right now?

A Ryzen 2700. Its not an emergency case.

• Options
    Ryzen 5800s are now easily available in the the UK, to the extent that they're actually being discounted. The "per core" price is now in a par with the 5600X (£300 for the 5600X, £400 for the 5800X, give or take £10.) and availability is actually better. There are indications that the supply situation is easing, and while I wouldn't at all mind getting a 5900X, those are still scarce as hen's teeth.

AMD GPUs are simply not available at reasonable prices (£750 for a 6800 non-XT? lolnop!), and Nvidia GPUs barely more so. I have said previously that there's not much point upgrading my CPU while I can't upgrade my video card, but now I'm wondering if I should get what I can get while I can get it.

Opinions?

What are you swinging right now?

A Ryzen 2700. Its not an emergency case.

IF you were to go to a 5xxx, I'd personally not bother with anything less than the 5800X given you're starting from a 2700. A 5900x would be one hell of a sweet upgrade. The 5800x gives you the IPC and clock speed improvements only. Which are significant, don't get me wrong. The 5600x gives you single core improvements, but you lose two cores, which doesn't thrill me personally.

If it were me, I'd wait for a 5900X, but I'm the idiot who's drooling at a 5950 so maybe don't listen to me on the high end.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    The 5800X is pretty gettable now. They've been pinging instock nearly daily on Amazon now, and falcodrin keeps notifying me about em.

I have one now but I would definitely prefer more cores, unfortunately the 5900X and 5950X remain elusive and my window to return this 5800X is drawing to an end.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I bought a 3090 a few weeks ago and as I mentioned here, it didn’t fit in my case super well.
    TiAYFTv.jpg1YwVSlZ.jpg

That gave me enough incentive to buy a new case that would let me do a better job hiding cables, if nothing else. Super happy with the way it turned out:
    dI4ueD9.jpg

It took me forever to figure out where everything goes, and I had to redo a lot of work when I had put things in the wrong way. Whoops.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Looks super solid but I'd consider 4x8 for that memory cause (a) 16GB is minimum for a machine these days and 32GB should hold out as long as the rest of your build should (b) you want to fill your ranks up on the Ryzen 5000s, 2x16 or 4x8 usually do so but 2x8 usually doesn't, this is a performance gain for free (c) aesthetics of 4x8 with blingy RAM like that is nice and you aren't using an air cooler so you see it all.

Thanks! Paying MSRP for the RAM makes this reasonable, I felt like the other sites (ibuypower and cyberpower) had big markups there. Think I’ll go for it tomorrow!

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

I would definitely recommend a 4x8 or 2x16 minimum today.

I went 2x4 back in 2017 with a plan to buy another 8gb soon, then ram tripled in price for a couple years i finally got my last 2x4 but I'm sitting at 16gb of ram which is plenty but not as much as I would like.

Hilariously fast ram and an SSD are like the only things you can actually buy today.

I would probably go 2x16 of 3600 as the sweet spot of future proofing in I can always add another 32 gb of ram but anything I can buy today will be obsolete before I really need to.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I bought a 3090 a few weeks ago and as I mentioned here, it didn’t fit in my case super well.
    TiAYFTv.jpg1YwVSlZ.jpg

That gave me enough incentive to buy a new case that would let me do a better job hiding cables, if nothing else. Super happy with the way it turned out:
    dI4ueD9.jpg

It took me forever to figure out where everything goes, and I had to redo a lot of work when I had put things in the wrong way. Whoops.

It's a real nice case to work in though.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    TiAYFTv.jpg1YwVSlZ.jpg

dI4ueD9.jpg

Oh for sure. It was mostly figuring out where to run all the wires to hide them the most effectively and installing 9 case fans. And then just a series of issues; the front panel usb connector was so big it effectively jammed my bottom middle fan (I had to buy a smaller extension cable), I put all of my fans on backwards, and I forgot to swap my motherboard IO plate from my old PC. Fixed everything in one shot though so all good now :)

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    What holidays (w/ dates) do pre-built pc's usually go on sale?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I'd probably go for more than 550W, unless it's for a super budget build. With the way GPU power demands are trending, that may not be enough in a cycle or two

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    TiAYFTv.jpg1YwVSlZ.jpg

dI4ueD9.jpg

Oh for sure. It was mostly figuring out where to run all the wires to hide them the most effectively and installing 9 case fans. And then just a series of issues; the front panel usb connector was so big it effectively jammed my bottom middle fan (I had to buy a smaller extension cable), I put all of my fans on backwards, and I forgot to swap my motherboard IO plate from my old PC. Fixed everything in one shot though so all good now :)

Protip for everyone: case fans have an arrow on the frame that indicates direction of airflow. The problem is it's the same color as the frame, so it's easy to miss.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I sprung for the NZXT Kraken Z73. I figured I'll get half a decade out of this setup anyway.

• Options
    I just watched a brief build vid and saw the Asus ROG "DIMM.2". What are the chances of this being ubiquitous?

It's basically a M.2 riser card that slots in next to the RAM

• Options
    Dang, slept on it and now the 3070 is out of stock. But I liked NZXT and I’ll keep my eye out.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bit the bullet and just ordered from cyberpowerPC. Estimated ship date is mid March, but I just got tired of trying to hunt parts to no avail.

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X 3.7GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 6 Cores/ 12 Threads 35MB Total Cache 65W Processor
    HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD +4TB HDD as a frebee.
    MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/4000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+0] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
    MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX w/ RGB, GbT LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready]

$2100+tax with the 5% off for NORUSH orders.

Question on the Ram, I had read some places that 4000MHz mattered with the 5x chips and other places not-so I just went ahead and ordered it but anyone see anything definitive on that front. I have to imagine I can change it in the next 6 weeks or so. IF 16G is the issue I'll just figure out what they put in it and order 2 more sticks, as the $240 premium is rediculous.

I also have a 512 M2 SSD just kicking about that I figure I'll throw in the other M2 slot.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    TiAYFTv.jpg1YwVSlZ.jpg

dI4ueD9.jpg

Protip for everyone: case fans have an arrow on the frame that indicates direction of airflow. The problem is it's the same color as the frame, so it's easy to miss.

They don't all have arrows, that's becoming more common though.

You can know which direction the fan blows by looking at the center hub. One side is fixed to the frame, the other side rotates with the blades.

Fan blows towards the fixed side.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity I looked into what watercooling options there are for my GPU (ASUS TUF RTX 3080), but then we're quickly descending into custom loop territory, and I'm not prepared to go that crazy at the moment.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I looked into what watercooling options there are for my GPU (ASUS TUF RTX 3080), but then we're quickly descending into custom loop territory, and I'm not prepared to go that crazy at the moment.

What about a Kraken?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Nvidia 970 GPU so not that future proof, so I guess a little higher

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

What about a Kraken?

As of now the Kraken G12 doesn't have any mounting support for the 3080. The spacing of the screws around the die is very different from previous generations.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Bit the bullet and just ordered from cyberpowerPC. Estimated ship date is mid March, but I just got tired of trying to hunt parts to no avail.

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X 3.7GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 6 Cores/ 12 Threads 35MB Total Cache 65W Processor
    MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/4000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+0] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
    MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX w/ RGB, GbT LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready]

Question on the Ram, I had read some places that 4000MHz mattered with the 5x chips and other places not-so I just went ahead and ordered it but anyone see anything definitive on that front. I have to imagine I can change it in the next 6 weeks or so. IF 16G is the issue I'll just figure out what they put in it and order 2 more sticks, as the $240 premium is rediculous.

I also have a 512 M2 SSD just kicking about that I figure I'll throw in the other M2 slot.

The infinity scalable data fabric (which is just AMD’s fancy name for their current bus architecture) runs at the clock speed of the memory modules. This means that having faster ram improves performance for the entire system.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

Ryzen 3 can support 4000mhz ram and higher. The issue is it's luck of the draw whether the motherboard and it's bios is capable of running infinity fabric at 1:1 higher than 3800mhz. There may also be some level of luck with the silicon lottery of the CPU whether not it'll be stable. It's possible by the time you get your PC the bios will have matured enough to support 1:1 at 4000mhz or higher. Even when it is supported it's a pretty minimal increase for a huge increase in cost. I'm not sure what the cost difference between 4000mhz ram and a 5600x is versus 3600mhz and a 5800x or 5900x but it's worth comparing.

Looking at a bunch of different RAM benchmarks done in the past few months Ryzen 3's sweet spot is looking to be 3800mhz. Even better if you can run it 1:1. Reaching stable 1:1 at 4000mhz is slightly better but is it worth the cost?

If you're spending the money on 4000mhz ram I'd check with CyberpowerPC to make sure they're going to test the PC with the memory running at 1:1 at 4000mhz. If it's running unsynchronized at 4000mhz it's no faster than synchronized 3600mhz. https://hardwarecanucks.com/memory/choosing-the-best-amd-ryzen-5000-memory-a-beginners-guide/

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Cormac wrote: »

What about a Kraken?

As of now the Kraken G12 doesn't have any mounting support for the 3080. The spacing of the screws around the die is very different from previous generations.

Ah, didn't know NZXT has GPU stuff as well, I'm brand new to this area of computer parts.

Echo on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apparently the NZXT H1 veritcal GPU mount is really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUscSRLwks

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    In Theory I just reserved an MSI x570 Unify from Microcenter for in-store pickup. There's only 6 available and I don't have an email yet.

They also don't open for a bit over 2 hours. Gah!

No Tomahawks in stock, but the price for them did go up so there's only about $40 difference between the the two.

Assuming I actually get one, I'll pick it up after work today. While I'm there I can grab RAM, an Inland M2 drive, and a x6xxX CPU. I'll upgrade to 58 or 59 at a later date.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Reservation confirmed. Guess I'm spending lots of money after work today.

Steam
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time.
    zgPntua.jpg

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular

Yeah if you own a H1 you should totally replace that PCIE mount with one from a reputable brand. Even if you use the nylon screws they can break or you might sell the case later on to someone who doesn't know, or might forget and put a metal one in. Not worth fucking about with.

That they tried to downplay it and didn't replace the mount during the recall is pretty damning.

• Options
    This morning the Microcenter had 25+ 5600Xs in stock.

After I bought one about 45 minutes ago there were 4 left on the shelf.

I can actually build things now!

Steam
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    danx wrote: »

Yeah if you own a H1 you should totally replace that PCIE mount with one from a reputable brand. Even if you use the nylon screws they can break or you might sell the case later on to someone who doesn't know, or might forget and put a metal one in. Not worth fucking about with.

That they tried to downplay it and didn't replace the mount during the recall is pretty damning.

Like they could literally fix that problem by adding a small rubber grommet in the design

Like it’s not even a particularly tricky engineering problem

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    This morning the Microcenter had 25+ 5600Xs in stock.

After I bought one about 45 minutes ago there were 4 left on the shelf.

I can actually build things now!

Mine came today!

I promptly dropped the box...

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Having an Intel CPU in one of my machines again is super weird. Even what I'm expecting from temps and voltages has been completely realigned for Ryzen CPU's in the last couple years.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Holy shit people, I'm super rusty at building a system from scratch.

Flashed the BIOS from a USB drive, mounted the CPU, heatsink, dropped the RAM in, mounted the board in the case, got out the old 9800gtx+ for video since integrated graphics isn't a thing anymore, then spent 20 minutes looking for my old monitor so I could actually connect the old card to something. Hadn't even plugged in the case fans or anything, Hemmed and Hawed about whether or not I needed to plug in CPU_PWR2 or not, decided not. Just hit the power switch with the board, CPU, and heatsink plugged in.

Got to BIOS on the first attempt! BIOS sees both RAM sticks, the NVME, and correctly identifies the CPU. Successful enough for tonight.

Too close to bedtime and too much faffing about needed to start installing Windows tonight. Did notice RAM was clocked at 2133MHz or something so thought I'd at least enable XMP to get the 3600MHz. Ha, nope. Won't boot back to BIOS, had to use the nifty Clear CMOS button to get back in. Will worry about that after Windows, drivers, chipset updates, etc are all installed.

Steam
This discussion has been closed.