Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Which of the following is not a real X-Files episode?

(Spoilering for those that want to avoid potential descriptions)
    1. Benjamin Linus telekinetically hurls anyone into the stratosphere if they mess with his Brady Brunch recreation.
    2. Mulder accidentally causes Judgement Day with the robot uprising, when he refuses to tip a robot that got his order wrong.
    3. Doggett is skeptical of the supernatural. He gets fatally shot and a mystic being eats him to take the fatal wound into themselves, and then births a healed Doggett. Doggett remains a skeptic.
    4. Burt Reynolds is a fun-loving guy who loves hanging out and playing board games. Also he's literally God.
    5. The Lone Gunmen compete with a hacker/thief who uses a name which is an anagram of Lee Harvey Oswald in order to prevent 9/11.
    6. Mulder and Scully spend an entire episode tripping out on a giant mushroom.
    7. Mulder and Scully thought they were doing an episode on Dr. Frankenstein, but it was actually about Dr. Moreau, so they say fuck it and go to a Cher concert.
    8. An X-Files movie is being made starring Garry Shandling and Tea Leoni as Mulder and Scully.
    9. A mysterious man known as Doctor Thaddeus They manipulates memories to bring about confusion and conspiracy theories, in an aim to eliminate objective truth.
    10. Queequeg is eaten by a Loch Ness Monster stand-in.

been a few years, but I'm going with 2, 4, and 9.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Started a rewatch of Malcolm in the Middle.

I initially thought that for a show that came in 2000 the show looked older and then realized that was 20 years ago.

Brian Craston and Jane Kackmarek are as great as I remember but honestly the show doesn't work at all without Munitz. He does a fantastic job as a kid who's way too smart, a trouble maker but also a good kid.

The brother relationship is actually really good and belieable.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It is still absolutely baffling that Jane Kaczmarek didn't get an Emmy for that show

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I initially thought that for a show that came in 2000 the show looked older and then realized that was 20 years ago.

Brian Craston and Jane Kackmarek are as great as I remember but honestly the show doesn't work at all without Munitz. He does a fantastic job as a kid who's way too smart, a trouble maker but also a good kid.

How does the stuff with Francis hold up? I didn't really care for him or his storylines at the time, and I wonder if that was on me or on the show

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

1. Benjamin Linus telekinetically hurls anyone into the stratosphere if they mess with his Brady Brunch recreation.
    2. Mulder accidentally causes Judgement Day with the robot uprising, when he refuses to tip a robot that got his order wrong.
    3. Doggett is skeptical of the supernatural. He gets fatally shot and a mystic being eats him to take the fatal wound into themselves, and then births a healed Doggett. Doggett remains a skeptic.
    4. Burt Reynolds is a fun-loving guy who loves hanging out and playing board games. Also he's literally God.
    5. The Lone Gunmen compete with a hacker/thief who uses a name which is an anagram of Lee Harvey Oswald in order to prevent 9/11.
    7. Mulder and Scully thought they were doing an episode on Dr. Frankenstein, but it was actually about Dr. Moreau, so they say fuck it and go to a Cher concert.
    8. An X-Files movie is being made starring Garry Shandling and Tea Leoni as Mulder and Scully.
    9. A mysterious man known as Doctor Thaddeus They manipulates memories to bring about confusion and conspiracy theories, in an aim to eliminate objective truth.

I am also thinking #2

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Incorrect!
    2 is 11x7 "Rm9sbG93ZXJz"
    4 is 9x13 "Improbable"
    9 is 11x4 "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"

Lars on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Putting my money on, "Trick question, they're all real"

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021

How does the stuff with Francis hold up? I didn't really care for him or his storylines at the time, and I wonder if that was on me or on the show

I watched season one a few months back and I found the Francis stuff both more interesting and more relevant(?) now I'm closer to the parents age than to the kids, I think because when I was a kid I saw him more as Malcolm does and now it's like oh you're a fucking child, I get it.
    YMMV of course

tynic on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I don't know Mulder, some of these seem too far fetched to be real. Something something science

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Francis also ends up having a really good character arc and genuinely matures and becomes more likeable.

• Options
    You are very close, but not quite!

• Options
    I vaguely remember an episode where Hal realizes Francis has actually become a responsible adult, that was good stuff

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My mother refuses to watch Malcolm in the Middle because Jane Kaczmarek's portrayal of Lois is too close to one of my aunts.

Its a problem within a realm adjacent to the uncanny valley.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

@Lars
    #5 is an episode of the short-lived The Lone Gunmen spin-off show? The pilot, I think?

• Options

@Lars
    #5 is an episode of the short-lived The Lone Gunmen spin-off show? The pilot, I think?
    Correct!

It was technically a trick question since they were all real, but #5 was the first episode of the Lone Gunmen spinoff, and not actually an X-Files episode.

Also it aired a year before the real 9/11 occurred.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    we never actually see Queequeg get eaten

he's still alive in my headcanon

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

True, though he is never seen again. It's also possible he was eaten by the alligator instead of the swamp plesiosaur.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Queequeg is alive!!!

He found a lady dog and they had a family and lived out their years in an old hollowed out tree stump.

• Options

True, though he is never seen again. It's also possible he was eaten by the alligator instead of the swamp plesiosaur.

the giant alligator was the supposed cryptid!
    Queequeg is alive!!!

He found a lady dog and they had a family and lived out their years in an old hollowed out tree stump.

correct

• Options
    the giant alligator was the supposed cryptid!

Mulder and Scully only discover the giant alligator, but the ending reveals there was a plesiosaur in the swamp as well.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What was the problem with Francis on Malcolm in the middle, it was that long ago I don’t really remember it.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Incorrect!
    2 is 11x7 "Rm9sbG93ZXJz"
    4 is 9x13 "Improbable"
    9 is 11x4 "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"

oh, well, if you're going to include season 11

(I haven't seen 10 or 11. I'm not at all surprised I don't remember the other one)

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

To be fair, when the show starts, it really is the Malcolm show. It turned into more of an ensemble thing in the later seasons with Hal and Lois getting more of the A plotlines. I'm guessing that was also because Frankie Muniz was starting to do a lot more movies.
    Blake T wrote: »
    What was the problem with Francis on Malcolm in the middle, it was that long ago I don’t really remember it.

His storylines were completely disconnected from the rest of the family for the most part. He was at a military academy for a couple of seasons, then in Alaska, then at a dude ranch, and then unemployed towards the end.

Personally, I enjoyed Francis' stories, especially the seasons at the Marlin Academy and the dude ranch. Unfortunately, he more or less disappears for the last two seasons and it was disappointing they have his character completely regress to get him out of that dude ranch. I did a rewatch last year and had thought he was in Marlin Academy for much longer, but he's actually in the show for only about five seasons out of seven, making cameos in the last two.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So apparently the creator of John Wick is making a pitch for a Dungeons & Dragons tv show: Source

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    “Why did you strike my son?”

“He stole Drizzt do’ Urden’s horse, and killed his dog.”

“Oh.”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    “Why did you strike my son?”

“He stole Drizzt do’ Urden’s horse, and killed his dog.”

“Oh.”

SO MANY DANCING AWAY WITH TWINKLING BLADES

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Chowder is on Hulu so I will be watching Chowder, the most underrated cartoon from Cartoon Network.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    hell yeah chowder owns

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Disenchantment 3 update
    They are letting Jon Dimaggio do real varied and often weird stuff with his Gruff guy voice and I am all for it
    Also new character
    Richard Ayoade!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So apparently the creator of John Wick is making a pitch for a Dungeons & Dragons tv show: Source

"We have a property that has no plot and no characters, just decades on decades of nonsensical setting details."

"I know just the guy to handle this."

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/QD1I7eNda5U

No more YT videos, I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    hbkka2bm2lrx.jpeg
    I guess?

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Why would you hire the lesser Supernatural dude when the other, better one exists?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    hbkka2bm2lrx.jpeg
    I guess?

I’m only down for this if the season long bad guy is Alexis Bledel.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I never watched Chowder and I didn't know a thing about it but I'm not gonna lie, the description is pretty compelling.
    "...his day-to-day adventures as an apprentice in Mung Daal's catering company. Although he means well, Chowder often finds himself in predicaments due to his perpetual appetite and his nature as a scatterbrain. He is also pestered by Panini, the apprentice of Mung's rival Endive, who wants Chowder to be her boyfriend, which he abhors."

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Chowder was an utter delight and I’m so glad I get to rewatch it on HBO Max

• Options
    hbkka2bm2lrx.jpeg
    I guess?

jensen ackles is too handsome is the problem

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    is he gonna be a karate Texas Ranger tho?

• Options
    how good is he at telling Haley Joel Osment that he has AIDS?

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    hbkka2bm2lrx.jpeg
    I guess?

I’m only down for this if the season long bad guy is Alexis Bledel.

Rory Gilmore was always the villain.

Nothing. Matters.
This discussion has been closed.