As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm guessing they don't teach about how texas was one big land steal by slaveowners in texas schools do they

Nope!

remember

the

alamoooooooo

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    so we don't have details yet but... long story short.

chicago has a defanged and toothless "civilian accountability" board for the police that's basically been a joke at least since i moved here 5ish years ago. That whole time activists have been fighting for an elected board with actual power that's gone through a couple names and versions and the mayor has fought them every step of the way. on friday they got their version to the public safety commission meeting (pass them and it's a full city council vote) with apparently the tipping point of support. Over the weekend there were reports of the mayor trying to bring a counter proposal to them which we don't know anything about but given her past, we assume it was bad.

And they just announced that they had reached a deal to created an elected civilian board, which has been years in the making. There's some apprehension on the details of course but man, chicago organizers get the goods.

(also i just realized this is only like 2 months after we finally got the state to give us an elected school board instead of the mayor's appointed one. yay elected things?)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Phil Lewis wrote:
    The Texas Senate has passed a bill to eliminate a requirement that public schools teach that the Ku Klux Klan is “morally wrong.”

That same bill dropped studying Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech as a curriculum requirement

I mean, I'm SURE enough Texan kids know by now that the KKK are a horrible group, right? It's fiiiiine to ease off on repeating the same thing over and over again, yeah?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    All the Texas lege action right now is just fluff for primaries. Unsurprisingly there's always someone more fascistic and to the right of whoever is currently in power

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Late 2021, to a classroom full of feverish, coughing kids: "The KKK was just trying to save the south from the terrible results of the federal invasion!"

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I hate to
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Late 2021, to a classroom full of feverish, coughing kids: "The KKK was just trying to save the south from the terrible results of the federal invasion!"

Texas running Sardaukar classrooms

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    All the Texas lege action right now is just fluff for primaries. Unsurprisingly there's always someone more fascistic and to the right of whoever is currently in power

[looks at the rest of the GOP project]

I’m uh

I’m havin’ a hard time believing this is just primary material, Oghulk.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    dang these racists sure go to great lengths to convince themselves they aren't racists

Jars on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I’m uh

In that anything that "passes" in the Texas lege is dead unless the Texas House Dems come back to meet quorum. And right now it seems that they won't. So by fluff I mean more that they believe the stuff but are still putting it through the lege even though they know it'll die because they want to boost their primary numbers/fundraising

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Look, a problem can't be a problem if no one is talking about it. If no one talks about racism, it doesn't exist!

Obviously, this sort of circular thinking can only be enjoyed by those privileged enough not to be experiencing racism in their daily lives. Because they can no longer just say that racism isn't bad, they have to keep coming up with reasons why racism is not actually racism

The denial of structural racism is structural racism all the way down.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Interesting that they were able to do this.

In Alaska, a special session has a set list of topics that can be discussed. (Like earlier this year they failed to pass the budget so they had to have a special session to get that worked out; there's another session later this year about that free government money check we all get every year.) Anything outside of that list cannot be touched unless a special session is called for it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Every state's government is a unique, stupid snowflake

Colorado GOP pulled an old, never-used law about how any bill had to be read out loud in its entirety before it could be voted on - a holdover from the "a lot of the populace can't read" days that folks forgot to take off the books.

Dems responded by having a text-to-speech robot recite bills at a page-a-second clip.

GOP sued, whole fucking thing

State politics are bonkers

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Colorado GOP pulled an old, never-used law about how any bill had to be read out loud in its entirety before it could be voted on - a holdover from the "a lot of the populace can't read" days that folks forgot to take off the books.

Dems responded by having a text-to-speech robot recite bills at a page-a-second clip.

what

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    is there a wincase for what the texas dems are doing? or is it just stall to primaries and pray they gain any seats?

(what a solid system though where our only checks on anti-democracy bills are exploiting roberts rules of fucking order)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Their wincase was to convince Congress to pass the new voting rights act.

Their only alternative is to never return to Texas, which will make it kind of hard to campaign. Even if they wait out this special session, either another will be called or they'll just wait until the actual session, which is *checks notes* 2023? Damn texas!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Sure some slave owning aristocrats did not support secession, either initially or in rare cases even throughout the entire war, but that was mainly a risk-value judgement. Houston supported slavery, he just thought that starting a civil war, when literally no attempts to abolish the institution had been suggested by the incoming government, was stupid. Which, to be fair, it was very stupid.

I didn't know that the southern states rebelled just on the idea that the north might come and take their guns jobs slaves.

• Options
    The government of the United States of America is an endless series of copy pasted code segments with no comments and endless legacy if statements that don't affect anything until the day they do affect something

People assume the status quo but until you get right down to it you find out the law doesn't actually support it

For example, are there laws against public nudity? It's one of those things you think someone wrote in horse and buggy days and obviously they would write one for men and one for women. But do these laws actually exist or did we assume they existed?

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Sure some slave owning aristocrats did not support secession, either initially or in rare cases even throughout the entire war, but that was mainly a risk-value judgement. Houston supported slavery, he just thought that starting a civil war, when literally no attempts to abolish the institution had been suggested by the incoming government, was stupid. Which, to be fair, it was very stupid.

I didn't know that the southern states rebelled just on the idea that the north might come and take their guns jobs slaves.

Yeuup. Bear in mind that the famous Emancipation Proclamation was issued more than 2 years into the war. That is to say, it took more than 2 years after the south literally left the union and started a bloody civil war over the possibility of the Lincoln government maybe doing something about slavery for the Lincoln government to finally, begrudgingly, say that in three and a half months if you guys don't cut it out we're going to consider your slaves free.

After the war ended in May of 1865 it took until December to ratify the 13th Amendment which abolished slavery everywhere, except prisons.

The will to abolish slavery at the time Lincoln won his first election did not exist. If the south hadn't seceded I imagine some restrictions to slavery would have passed, probably the fugitive slave act would get repealed and likely no new slave states would be added to the union going forward but slavery would largely have remained untouched for a few more decades.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Which was still a bridge too far for the slave owners.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article252899398.html
    No Black parents, teachers or scholars invited to Missouri hearing on teaching race
    [...]No Black parents, teachers or scholars testified to the Joint Committee on Education during the invite-only hearing on critical race theory.

Aside from an official from Missouri’s education department, the only people who testified Monday were critics of critical race theory, which is a way of thinking about America’s history through the lens of racism
    [...]

sounds about white

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Yeuup. Bear in mind that the famous Emancipation Proclamation was issued more than 2 years into the war. That is to say, it took more than 2 years after the south literally left the union and started a bloody civil war over the possibility of the Lincoln government maybe doing something about slavery for the Lincoln government to finally, begrudgingly, say that in three and a half months if you guys don't cut it out we're going to consider your slaves free.

After the war ended in May of 1865 it took until December to ratify the 13th Amendment which abolished slavery everywhere, except prisons.

The will to abolish slavery at the time Lincoln won his first election did not exist. If the south hadn't seceded I imagine some restrictions to slavery would have passed, probably the fugitive slave act would get repealed and likely no new slave states would be added to the union going forward but slavery would largely have remained untouched for a few more decades.

Something also worth remembering is the Emancipation Proclamation only affected the states that seceded as well. It is a part of our long history in pretending to be much more progressive than we ever really are.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Something also worth remembering is the Emancipation Proclamation only affected the states that seceded as well. It is a part of our long history in pretending to be much more progressive than we ever really are.

It's actually worse than that! It specifically only effects territory not under union control, so the parts of the CSA under occupation by the union army, for example New Orleans, were exempt. Also it was issued in September of 1862 to take effect January 1 1863.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

That's not limited to the state level. The United States Senate recently started requiring 60 ayes for a bill to even be put on the floor to be officially voted on because somewhere deep in its archaic rules a single Senator can demand that. Also, somehow the Senate functioned for generations on unanimous consent at the end of the day to return to order the following morning. But due to the same exploit, any asshole (not just Mitch) can grind the body to a screeching halt at almost any time for no reason at all.

It is the shittiest institution imaginable.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I am not sure how this is possible even after reading the article, but according to CNN, Ted Cruz is single-handedly blocking over 60 foreign diplomatic appointments despite overwhelming bipartisan support for all nominated individuals.

• Options

It's actually worse than that! It specifically only effects territory not under union control, so the parts of the CSA under occupation by the union army, for example New Orleans, were exempt. Also it was issued in September of 1862 to take effect January 1 1863.

Ahh New Orleans. We love to talk about how progressive we were. Lots of high minded condemning the horrors of slavery and extolling how much better the conditions here were at the time. All while ignoring that the decision was made to side with the confederacy. As far as I can tell from historical poking everyone very much did decry the humanitarian crisis. Just not too loudly because there was a fuck ton of money being made in the slave trade business. We really like to not talk as much about that part.

Of course I say all this and the mayor is currently trying to get rid of Congo Square to make room for a new City Hall. Fucking disgusting shit. In fairness the current building is shit and needs to be replaced, but choose somewhere fucking else you dumb fucking assholes.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Ahh New Orleans. We love to talk about how progressive we were. Lots of high minded condemning the horrors of slavery and extolling how much better the conditions here were at the time. All while ignoring that the decision was made to side with the confederacy. As far as I can tell from historical poking everyone very much did decry the humanitarian crisis. Just not too loudly because there was a fuck ton of money being made in the slave trade business. We really like to not talk as much about that part.

Of course I say all this and the mayor is currently trying to get rid of Congo Square to make room for a new City Hall. Fucking disgusting shit. In fairness the current building is shit and needs to be replaced, but choose somewhere fucking else you dumb fucking assholes.

In a weird bit of American bullshit. I never learned about the David Hennessy murder, nor the lynching of several Italian American citizens afterwards. It was an old HBO movie rebroadcast on satellite television overseas that hipped me to it.

Research and articles let me know the entire affair
    *was first time 'mafia' entered America's lexicon
    *made Italy recall their ambassador
    *and was strongly connected to the battle of Liberty Place and the larger Confederate uprising after the war (wish I could find that article)
    *was the largest 'single' lynching in American history, while the Chinatown massacre was the largest 'collective' lynching in American history. Really fucked to have that distinction

Cannot find the quote of the president at the time on it, but Columbus day became a holiday a few years later and The New York Times has yet to give an apology for their predecessors writing
    These sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins, who have transported to this country the lawless passions, the cut-throat practices, and the oath-bound societies of their native country, are to us a pest without mitigations…These men of the Mafia killed chief Hennessy in circumstances of peculiar atrocity…Lynch law was the only course open to the people of New Orleans to stay the issue of a new license to the Mafia to continue its bloody practices

The memorial to the Confederate uprising's victory might still be installed in New Orleans. Need to research that.

Edit: correction, roosevelt was not president yet when he called the lynching 'a rather good thing'

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

GOP objecting in court on account of the Dems never reading out any donos or interacting with the chat

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

In a weird bit of American bullshit. I never learned about the David Hennessy murder, nor the lynching of several Italian American citizens afterwards. It was an old HBO movie rebroadcast on satellite television overseas that hipped me to it.

Research and articles let me know the entire affair
    *was first time 'mafia' entered America's lexicon
    *made Italy recall their ambassador
    *and was strongly connected to the battle of Liberty Place and the larger Confederate uprising after the war (wish I could find that article)
    *was the largest 'single' lynching in American history, while the Chinatown massacre was the largest 'collective' lynching in American history. Really fucked to have that distinction

Cannot find the quote of the president at the time on it, but Columbus day became a holiday a few years later and The New York Times has yet to give an apology for their predecessors writing
    These sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins, who have transported to this country the lawless passions, the cut-throat practices, and the oath-bound societies of their native country, are to us a pest without mitigations…These men of the Mafia killed chief Hennessy in circumstances of peculiar atrocity…Lynch law was the only course open to the people of New Orleans to stay the issue of a new license to the Mafia to continue its bloody practices

The memorial to the Confederate uprising's victory might still be installed in New Orleans. Need to research that.

Edit: correction, roosevelt was not president yet when he called the lynching 'a rather good thing'

So it kinda depends on which one you mean. There was one that I think you mean they built, destroyed, got sued over, built again somewhere else, and then finally got rid of it not so long ago. We got rid of most of the monuments at the same time. There is still one up for Pike I think that at least makes me chuckle at the irony of it (he was charged with treason for not being racist enough basically), but I can't think of any other major ones besides the street names. That doesn't mean they don't exist, of course. There are a handful of odd local blindspots to that stuff through a combination of passive racism (No one ever mentions the Pike statue) and ignoring what was done symbolically to promote racism (I only recently learned that Congo Square had a different official name until 2011).

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Albert Pike stuff tends to get a pass most places by recognizing him for his Masonic connections rather than his service to the Confederacy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I’m uh

In that anything that "passes" in the Texas lege is dead unless the Texas House Dems come back to meet quorum. And right now it seems that they won't. So by fluff I mean more that they believe the stuff but are still putting it through the lege even though they know it'll die because they want to boost their primary numbers/fundraising

it's a shame that the coolest thing about texas is that time they were the one reconstuctionist state to successfully run off and shoot the KKK out of the state. (they, of course, eventually came back)

• Options
    Albert Pike stuff tends to get a pass most places by recognizing him for his Masonic connections rather than his service to the Confederacy.

The statue calls out his confederate service really specifically is the problem. Well that and I think fighting on the side of slavery is the thing that just overshadows all your other shit. Like, there is a confederate general that did a lot of shit for our city and state after the war. This includes working really hard to get black men the right to vote. I don't think even that is enough of a redemption though. You can't convey nuance through monuments. They all gotta go.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The Emancipation Proclamation happened because slaves started showing up en masse at Union bases, saying they were free. Union commanders did not know what to do, since the law said that they were obligated to return them to the enemy.

It’s another case where Black Americans freed themselves, and white leaders took the credit.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Emancipation Proclamation happened because slaves started showing up en masse at Union bases, saying they were free. Union commanders did not know what to do, since the law said that they were obligated to return them to the enemy.

It’s another case where Black Americans freed themselves, and white leaders took the credit.

...god dammit. Seriously? Well that certainly makes everything fit together nicely and also I hate it. Fuck this country's genocidal history and fuck it trying to tuck it all under the rug.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

...god dammit. Seriously? Well that certainly makes everything fit together nicely and also I hate it. Fuck this country's genocidal history and fuck it trying to tuck it all under the rug.

History oversimplified put out that Lincoln had to wait to put forward the 13th Amendment due to generals loosing constantly. The reasoning being that it needed to be seen as a power play and not a last ditch effort of a dying nation. While he did sign it after the battle of Antietam I need to find an article saying he made a choice to wait.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Main reason for waiting till after Antietam was to couch it as from a position of strength for an international audience. Paris and London were awful close to recognizing and at least entering into official economic relations with the CSA in the summer of '62 due to the success of Lee against McClelland, which would've pushed Lincoln into backing away from the blockade strategy as the risk of bringing Britain or France in on the Confederate side by sinking or seizing merchant vessels would be too high.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Content warning for police violence and suicide by cop in this post
    Local and Michigan state police killed a suicidal Michigan man by shooting at him fifty three times.

Yeah the man had a gun and led them on a chase into Toledo from Monroe but after negotiation for 18 minutes (he was white so of course they talked to him first) 53 shots, two of which from a shotgun and 15 from a rifle seems a little fucking excessive.

I am hard pressed to imagine there is much left of the man's body after all that. Jesus Christ. Think of the potential for bystander damage too.

I'm so fucking mad. Yeah he could have hurt someone but he needed help and just because they got bored after a quarter hour they used him as target practice. That's more time than they would give anyone with skin darker than that though. Really tough just thinking of all the lives cut short because of the failure of this country to take care of anyone makes me feel ill.

Local cops like to pretend they are so much better than bigger cities. Yuck.

The local news is doing nothing but making excuses for the police too. No accountability or admission that there may have been any other alternative. Just bland uncritical publishing of the police Chiefs statements.

Police are a hammer that treats every problem like a nail. It affects so much of how our society functions that instead of having anywhere to look for help for a suffering man when 911 got called this happened.

And nothing ever changes.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Big city cops are corrupt assholes looking to fuck with you, small town cops are terrified of the world around them and have a gun.

I'll take the former every time.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I get the sense they're both the second thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    fire all the popo into the sun

we're gonna need more rockets

Jars on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    fire all the popo into the sun

we're gonna need more rockets

This seems like it would be a LOT more expensive than some botulinum.

This discussion has been closed.