As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [Economy] evolves to housing, even when it is about cars

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Not an expert, but that just screams money laundering to me.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »

It's all money laundering and tax evasion.

No joke anything semi or rich people do you scratch your head on is one of those.

And some not rich or common sense, like my neighbor who paid someone $300 to mix half a bag of quickcrete for a low sidewalk spot.

But having an accountant and he walking us through all the ways to write off anything- did you know stocking your liquor cabinet is a write off? Just shows rich people suck.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »

Well... no. Something illegal maybe, payoffs, scams, tax fraud, whatever, but not money laundering.

The purpose of money laundering is to make dirty money clean. Money that is already in the banking system is (generally) clean and so doesn't need to be laundered. While the store is a cash business the money laundering needs to go through the business and thus create profits. People buying and selling the stock doesn't do that.

It seems more likely tax fraud. Method. You buy stock in my worthless company, i return 90% of that purchase as cash and pocket 10% as my fee. The company fails and now you have a loss that is worth say 20% on the dollar, and you still have 90% of the money and so are up 10% overall.

Alternate answer is that you are using the money to funnel money to places you would otherwise not be permitted for whatever reason.

BUUUT they could be a "victim" of other people pumping the stock though the lawyer they were using does not seem to suggest it. They made a sale of 2.5m stock for 2.5m dollars. Which... is a lot but its not so much that someone couldn't have been investing in a company that was going to start expanding and franchising. After that it could be traders manipulating the stock price

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well that stock in particular is a OTC stock. It apparently has a volume of about 2.75k/day. Its market cap implies that there are some 8 million shares in existence. It would take you 10 years at that volume to sell it all

There's probably only one seller who sets the price and thus market cap at whatever they want

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    It's probably a SPAC. Which is effectively a way to go public without having to do an IPO with questionable returns. You have a guaranteed sale price for your private company that gets acquired by the SPAC shell company and then takes it over.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I read that and thought of Wolf of Wall Street selling penny stocks to foreign investors claiming its a big chain delis in the US. Like the example in the movie being a small shed in the backyard doing Medical R&D.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Per the CNBC article referenced, the lawyer originally listed as HWINs representation was previously busted for schemes taking shell companies public

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fun, while they're not making it a massive deal, the Fed has sent out memos saying that they're going to start rationing dimes and quarters next week, with a bunch of states rescinding occupancy limits and hours they anticipate a shitload of demand from businesses. Hopefully it's not a repeat of the nickel flustercluck of last summer.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Oh fuck! That you for posting that!

Gotta get some quarters from the bank so I can still do laundry next month. The early pandemic no one would give me change and it was hard to scrounge up enough quarters for the machine

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Why is this a thing?

• Options
    Because people weren't shopping in person and weren't using Cash, so the circulation of coins stopped during the pandemic.

Too much online/credit card only

• Options
    edited April 2021
    shryke wrote: »
    Why is this a thing?

🎶Money's gotta circ-u-late🎶

https://youtu.be/p9d8l-Gkweg

moniker on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    fuck

Thanks for the heads up

Time to hit the bank right fucking now!

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Because people weren't shopping in person and weren't using Cash, so the circulation of coins stopped during the pandemic.

And all the coins sitting in closed up stores.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Crazy cash-using yanks.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Crazy cash-using yanks.

We sadly have way, way too many people without access to banking services that make even basic economic interactions prohibitively hard in the 21st century.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Crazy cash-using yanks.

Banks and credit card companies refuse to work with weed stores, because its technically illegal and the bank could theoretically get turbo fucked by the feds if they worked with the thousands of small businesses across the country.

So I guess I use cash occasionally

Burtletoy on
  • Options

Crazy cash-using yanks.

Banks and credit card companies refuse to work with weed stores, because its technically illegal and the bank could theoretically get turbo fucked by the feds if they worked with the thousands of small businesses across the country.

Schumer put forward a Bill to fix that. And seeing how cannabis is recreational in 17 States and a couple more after 2022, it seems likely to happen. Banks want that dank money.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah the SAFE banking act, right? I don't know what else is in it besides the cannabis stuff

Remember how days after Boehner retired, he joined the board of some cannabis legalisation company?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    moniker wrote: »

Crazy cash-using yanks.

Schumer put forward a Bill to fix that. And seeing how cannabis is recreational in 17 States and a couple more after 2022, it seems likely to happen. Banks want that dank money.

Banks have all already built out their pot banking verticals and left them ready on the shelf to onboard all the weed shops day 1

Like there are commercial and business bankers specialized in weed stores with connections and “Rolodexes” of contacts employed at all the banks

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/uber-lyft-doordash-stocks-fall-on-concern-over-gig-worker-regulation.html
    CNBC wrote:
    Shares of Lyft, Uber and DoorDash dropped sharply Thursday after Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh told Reuters in an interview that gig workers should be classified as company employees.

“We are looking at it but in a lot of cases gig workers should be classified as employees ... in some cases they are treated respectfully and in some cases they are not and I think it has to be consistent across the board,” Walsh told Reuters. He said the department will be reaching out to companies that employ gig workers to make sure the workers have access to consistent wages, sick time and health care.

Just imagine if they get classified as people.

• Options
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/uber-lyft-doordash-stocks-fall-on-concern-over-gig-worker-regulation.html
    CNBC wrote:
    in some cases they are treated respectfully and in some cases they are not

Is... Uhhhh.. Disrespecting your workers one of the key points in determining if you are an employee or freelance?

• Options
    CNBC wrote:

Is... Uhhhh.. Disrespecting your workers one of the key points in determining if you are an employee or freelance?

At the company level? Yes.

• Options
    CNBC wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is using it euphemistically.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I mean, I talked to one contractor who was netting $15 an hour to solder shit with no job security. We treat contractors like garbage.

I don’t think it was that euphemistic at all for gig economy jobs which are worse.

Orca on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    There are some insane things happening with the market, which seems to be juicing the upper parts of the K in our current recovery trajectory....SPACs for one, and shit like a tiny, who-even-knows-if-it’s-open deli that is the sole asset of a holding company with a $100+ million valuation (!)
    Morina is also principal of Paulsboro High School. But he has another, even more impressive-sounding job. Morina is CEO of Hometown International, a company whose stock price (Ticker: HWIN) valued it around $100 million. What makes Hometown International’s valuation so strange is what the company does, which is operate a single deli in Paulsboro that is open for 32 hours a week. Last year, that deli was closed between March and September and did just $13,976 in sales. Yet despite doing less in sales last year than the Defector merchandise store did on its very first day of operation, the stock values the firm at the same price that Apple spent on a virtual reality company last year....

... Einhorn’s summary was correct. This $100 million company owns one deli with low sales numbers. It is incorporated in Nevada. The largest shareholder is the CEO/CFO, Morina, who does not take a salary. The Chairman of the Board is Peter Coker, a businessman once based in Macungie, Pennsylvania. Other shareholders include firms in Macau and Hong Kong...

... “The analysis of new business opportunities will be undertaken by or under the supervision of our executive officers and directors, none of whom is a business analyst,”...

... Despite the pandemic, the company privately sold 2.5 million shares of stock for $2.5 million in April of last year. Last May, it began paying Peter Coker Sr.’s Tryon Capital Ventures $15,000 a month in consulting fees. It also started paying VCH Limited, a Macau company that is also a shareholder, $25,000 a month. Hometown International expected these fees to continue through 2021—if they continued in business at all, that is. “These factors raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern,” the filing reads. “If we are not successful in expanding our Your Hometown Deli concept, or finding a business to merge with, we may need to cease our operations, which would result in our shareholders losing their entire investment in us.”...

... Meanwhile, shares of Hometown International plummeted on Friday—at first. Down 34 percent by late morning, HWIN rallied in the afternoon. (Closing the deli worked!) It ended Friday down just 5.53 percent. By the end of the day, the company was still worth a little more than $100 million. As of this morning, it was up another 3.77 percent. Just another week in the modern business world.

https://defector.com/a-cnbc-reporter-ruined-my-lunch-plans-a-visit-to-the-n-j-deli-worth-100-million/

Update, they have been delisted for "irregularities" along with another company owned by the CEO.

Quelle surprise

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    CNBC wrote:

Yeah, the whole "contractor" loophole has just been used as a giant excuse for giant corporations (including our federal government!) to ignore minimum wage and labor laws all across the country. It's disgusting and really needs to stop.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So this is tied to the current housing pricing crunch and the fact that new construction is getting increasingly expensive. Just a quick look at lumber commodities pricing for the YTD and the last 5 years. Its nuts.

5 Year Graph:
    g9hsd330zxjb.png

YTD:
    6x4bylthybok.png

I have been reading between lumber and the shortage workers it is adding on average about $35,000 to new construction. This is another wrench is reduction of housing cost in the US.

Also should be covered here as it will have huge consequences is that the moratorium on evictions was thrown out by a judge today. This could leave to a waive of evictions across the country dramatically harming a large percentage of the population and will have a huge amount of knock effects it is left to stand.

Federal judge vacates CDC’s nationwide eviction moratorium
    A federal judge in Washington D.C. on Wednesday ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention overstepped its legal authority by issuing a nationwide eviction moratorium, a ruling that could potentially affect millions of struggling Americans.

U.S. District Court Judge Dabney Friedrich’s 20-page order says that the protection, first put in place during the coronavirus pandemic under the Trump administration and now set to run out on June 30, goes too far.

“It is the role of the political branches, and not the courts, to assess the merits of policy measures designed to combat the spread of disease, even during a global pandemic,” the order stated. “The question for the Court is a narrow one: Does the Public Health Service Act grant the CDC the legal authority to impose a nationwide eviction moratorium? It does not.”

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The ruling is going to be appealed and will almost certainly have an injunction. Since the appeal will likely last beyond the two months left in the moratorium, it will be mooted before a judgement comes down.

Also, a huge part of the lumber supply issue is due to a pine beetle whose range has expanded far into Canada thanks to climate change. Isn't the apocalypse fun?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    CNBC wrote:

Yeah, the whole "contractor" loophole has just been used as a giant excuse for giant corporations (including our federal government!) to ignore minimum wage and labor laws all across the country. It's disgusting and really needs to stop.

As a contractor that works for the government, it's only getting more and more popular for many reasons.

1) One big one is basically not having to deal with HR. The process to on board a contractor can take a week. The process to on board an employee through HR can take months.

2) Not having to deal with Unions. This isn't an anti union stance really. I've talked with executives and they are pretty pro union. The issue is that the union can have some really bad policies in place. One that comes up a lot is that if someone gets fired, they are put in the "queue" for any available jobs. And if a position opens that that person is in the queue for, they have to be hired. No interviews, or outside candidates. I can name at least 3 people I've worked with who have been passed around from agency to agency over the years due to this system. So if Option A is person whose been fired multiple times or Option B a contractor, they go with Option B.

3) Pay. Government salaries are public information. This doesn't impact the Feds much, but for State's it's a big deal. Every X number of years, some newspaper or blog will publish all the salaries in an article. This gets all the constituents up in arms thinking government employees are making too much money. Which in turn leads to very little growth in salary compared to the private sector. I used to do college recruiting and I'd get laughed at all the time from students that looked at the starting salary. Hard to blame them when all the private sector booths for the same job were paying 25K more a year minimum. Contractor salary however is harder to get at. It usually gets built into project costs and while you can FOIA it, it takes way more work to sort through. Combined with #1, since you don't have to work with HR to create new classifications and salaries (impossible), you can easily create a position that can pay someone equal to the private sector.

Contracting has it's pro's and con's. The combo of no Union and no HR can really screw you over. There is no protection if salaries or jobs need to be cut for whatever reason. But in many cases it's also the only mechanism in place to keep talented folks around. Also if I had to guess, #3 is why there are so many defense contractors at the fed level. It's much easier to obfuscate salary via contractors than if they were employees.

Hopefully we'll see some HR 'agile' revolution in government, but I'm not holding my breath.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    The ruling is going to be appealed and will almost certainly have an injunction. Since the appeal will likely last beyond the two months left in the moratorium, it will be mooted before a judgement comes down.

Also, a huge part of the lumber supply issue is due to a pine beetle whose range has expanded far into Canada thanks to climate change. Isn't the apocalypse fun?

Huh, the trees killed by the beetle are still usable as lumber but there’s a catch

The beetles’ larvae use up all the moisture so while the trunks can produce boards, the dust produced in processing them has such low moisture content that it keeps causing explosions in the mills

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Huh, the trees killed by the beetle are still usable as lumber but there’s a catch

The beetles’ larvae use up all the moisture so while the trunks can produce boards, the dust produced in processing them has such low moisture content that it keeps causing explosions in the mills

:bigfrown:

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

:bigfrown:

It's a major reason that California is an ongoing forest fire with periodic breaks.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    StarZapper wrote: »
    CNBC wrote:

As a contractor that works for the government, it's only getting more and more popular for many reasons.

1) One big one is basically not having to deal with HR. The process to on board a contractor can take a week. The process to on board an employee through HR can take months.

2) Not having to deal with Unions. This isn't an anti union stance really. I've talked with executives and they are pretty pro union. The issue is that the union can have some really bad policies in place. One that comes up a lot is that if someone gets fired, they are put in the "queue" for any available jobs. And if a position opens that that person is in the queue for, they have to be hired. No interviews, or outside candidates. I can name at least 3 people I've worked with who have been passed around from agency to agency over the years due to this system. So if Option A is person whose been fired multiple times or Option B a contractor, they go with Option B.

3) Pay. Government salaries are public information. This doesn't impact the Feds much, but for State's it's a big deal. Every X number of years, some newspaper or blog will publish all the salaries in an article. This gets all the constituents up in arms thinking government employees are making too much money. Which in turn leads to very little growth in salary compared to the private sector. I used to do college recruiting and I'd get laughed at all the time from students that looked at the starting salary. Hard to blame them when all the private sector booths for the same job were paying 25K more a year minimum. Contractor salary however is harder to get at. It usually gets built into project costs and while you can FOIA it, it takes way more work to sort through. Combined with #1, since you don't have to work with HR to create new classifications and salaries (impossible), you can easily create a position that can pay someone equal to the private sector.

Contracting has it's pro's and con's. The combo of no Union and no HR can really screw you over. There is no protection if salaries or jobs need to be cut for whatever reason. But in many cases it's also the only mechanism in place to keep talented folks around. Also if I had to guess, #3 is why there are so many defense contractors at the fed level. It's much easier to obfuscate salary via contractors than if they were employees.

Hopefully we'll see some HR 'agile' revolution in government, but I'm not holding my breath.

At the fed level the govvies also have more overhead. When you put a govvie on a project part of their project cost goes to paying for facilities, lights, guards, upkeep, security, etc... Overhead. When you get a contractor, you don't have to pay for any of that (but since the cost for those things is static it just makes any remaining govvie more expensive for each contractor added). The contractors make more and cost the government less, at the expense if technically being more volatile to losing their job at a moments notice. Generally, however, the good ones pretty much immediate roll onto another project.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

[retweet of vaccine-maker stonks crashing after talk of the US waiving patent protections on Covid vaccines]

Let’s do insulin next

You know who AOC is.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

I'm curious what the endgame is here, and I haven't seen any serious policy proposals discussing it. You can delay evictions, but without some kind of substantive (and politically unlikely) relief program, it's just delaying the inevitable. Even if those people find work as the economy recovers (big if), no one is coming up with 6-9 months back rent.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    rndmhero wrote: »

I'm curious what the endgame is here, and I haven't seen any serious policy proposals discussing it. You can delay evictions, but without some kind of substantive (and politically unlikely) relief program, it's just delaying the inevitable. Even if those people find work as the economy recovers (big if), no one is coming up with 6-9 months back rent.

Easier to find a new place if you have a job and the pandemic is over. It's hard to think of a scenario where being kicked out now is not strictly worse than being kicked out in 3 months or whatever.

Edit: That's not to say that substantive relief programs wouldn't be incredibly valuable, because yeah they would, but even if we assume they aren't coming, it still helps to delay things.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Easier to find a new place if you have a job and the pandemic is over. It's hard to think of a scenario where being kicked out now is not strictly worse than being kicked out in 3 months or whatever.

The latest round of money from Congress included $50 billion for rent assistance and the systems to get that out to folks are slow or being put in place. Its to give that time to help people dig out of a hole as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

There isn't one. It was mostly just that being evicted in the middle of a Pandemic is inherently worse for everyone than being evicted after the Pandemic is considered over.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

NY just passed a $2.4 billion rental assistance program that is meant to help tenants cover up to a year’s worth of back rent and unpaid utility bills. So, maybe there's some help out there? It's also possible some landlords and renters come to agreements that fall in between payment in full and no payment at all, though I don't expect that to be too common unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.