As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2021 Coup And The Aftermath

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Like no joke I will put solid money down that the initial impetus behind this paper was the token Objectivist dipshit masters candidate claiming it was all economics in the faculty lounge as the insurrection was occurring live, and Dr. Pape writing this explicitly to call that motherfucker a moron in both the most humiliating fashion possible and in such a manner that only people in that department of that school will understand or know about

And yet by giving said "colleague" the fig leaf he did, he continues to enable the idea of "economic anxiety" as a legitimate argument. This is the same sort of argument that is used when colleges invite noted bigot Charles Murray to debate so as to "debunk" him, not realizing that by putting him on the stage, they are legitimizing him.

Hedgie, I was all about this too and then actually looked into what Pape has said and done

This hypothetical that Monwyn proposed didn’t happen

Pape is a terrorism researcher compiling a profile of the insurrectionists to help identify where the movement may be growing so we can address it

The NYT writer manufactured all this bullshit

No, Pape is facing criticism for this line in his WaPo column (emphasis mine)
    What we know 90 days later is that the insurrection was the result of a large, diffuse and new kind of protest movement congealing in the United States.

This is why people - and in particular the people being targeted by the insurrectionists - are angry, because this isn't a new movement, but the culmination of older movements after being enabled. And from other things that Pape has said in other public interviews, it's clear that he's capable of tracing the threads, so it's unclear why he would claim that what happened on 1/6 is symbolic of something new.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Even though there is a deep continuity of thought between the older movements and the new there is not a continuity of persons.

Anti-government militias don’t typically attract late middle aged suburban realtors

The Klan doesn’t usually have much clout among 30-something west coast hedge fund kids

The symbols are the same they have been. It’s the faces that are new.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Even though there is a deep continuity of thought between the older movements and the new there is not a continuity of persons.

Anti-government militias don’t typically attract late middle aged suburban realtors

The Klan doesn’t usually have much clout among 30-something west coast hedge fund kids

Not really. White supremacist groups have always been more than just the usual suspects - hence why the SPLC tracks groups like the Council of Conservative Citizens, itself an offshoot of the old White Citizens Councils which would gave been the organization that attracted the upper class sorts who viewed themselves above the Klan.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Yeah, it's pretty dang unusual that the rowdy crowd ready to burn everything down in the name of revolution, are the very people who have benefitted, and stand to still benefit the most from that same system.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Not really. White supremacist groups have always been more than just the usual suspects - hence why the SPLC tracks groups like the Council of Conservative Citizens, itself an offshoot of the old White Citizens Councils which would gave been the organization that attracted the upper class sorts who viewed themselves above the Klan.

Right but those groups were never directly involved in direct action. Here we had the kind of people who would belong to those groups storming the fucking capitol building

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Yeah, it's pretty dang unusual that the rowdy crowd ready to burn everything down in the name of revolution, are the very people who have benefitted, and stand to still benefit the most from that same system.

They have people telling them that unless they ACT NOW (and send money), they're going to lose all of those things, very soon.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Has anyone here seen the Q: Into the Storm HBO documentary? The last nine minutes of the last episode are a boots on the ground view of Jan 6. The entire documentary is chilling, IMO, though I imagine for a lot of you it probably doesn't go over anything you don't already know.

Seeing the former owner of 8chan there at the coup cheering the windows of the Capitol building being smashed, especially when he and his son were probably behind Q, is surreal.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

it's actually not that unusual

movements that topple governments have historically not very often been composed of poor/working people, because those people are by and large too busy surviving their day to day to plot to overthrow governments. Pick basically any revolutionary movement you want from the 19th century forward and you'll find that its most active participants/leaders are the petite bourgeoisie. We see this in the current QAnon/MAGA situation as well: the capital wasn't stormed by your stereotypical poor country folks, it was stormed by people with the time and wherewithal to travel to washington and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on Tacticool(TM) gear to wear.

imo the real issue is what I'll colloquially call 'cultural instability'; a lot of these white people see their privileged position in society eroding and are responding with increasing violence. That phenomenon is misunderstood in our press as 'economic anxiety' because 1) even the most ardent true believers will usually claim it's about something other than fear of brown people and 2) our media as a general matter have a practiced ignorance when reporting on matters of race which precludes them from calling a spade a spade.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    'The middle using the low against the high' is how Orwell phrased it in 1984. It takes a lot of free time to plan a revolution, but it takes a lot of bodies (usually) to successfully enact one.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    IIRC, quite a few of you predicted this:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/politics/capitol-riot-flip-proud-boys/index.html

Here is an excerpt from the first two lines of what you would be clicking on to read in full (but really, its just kinda belabors this point so you're probably fine if you skip clicking it):
    At least one of the Capitol riot defendants has flipped against the Proud Boys, agreeing to provide information that could allow the Justice Department to bring a more severe charge against the group's leadership, according to an attorney involved in the case.

The development is the first indication that people charged in the insurrection are cooperating against the pro-Trump extremist group. Federal prosecutors have made clear they are focused on building conspiracy cases against leadership of the Proud Boys and paramilitary groups like the Oath Keepers.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A desperate call from Pence to the acting defense secretary on Jan. 6th, part of a timeline of events just released.
    “Clear the Capitol,” Pence said...

Pence’s call to Miller lasted only a minute. Pence said the Capitol was not secure and he asked military leaders for a deadline for securing the building, according to the document.

This part makes Pence seem even more pathetic afterward. He was under no illusion that he would be safe. He knew Trump sent a mob to murder him and everyone else in the Capitol, but didn't have the guts afterward to 25th Amendment himself to the presidency. A pathetic, sniveling, spineless worm-thing, a jacket-rack that blends in with the drapes, a nothing that apparently has spent the last few months hiding in a house provided by the current governor of Indiana. May he piss himself out of terror every day for the rest of his worthless life.

In patheticness we can laugh at though, the Capitol eye gouger has been whining that he's in jail with Black people, I mean, people who committed "inner-city crimes." Don't you know that he did it out of racism, and thus should get special white-only cellmate privileges?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    A desperate call from Pence to the acting defense secretary on Jan. 6th, part of a timeline of events just released.

Pence’s call to Miller lasted only a minute. Pence said the Capitol was not secure and he asked military leaders for a deadline for securing the building, according to the document.

This part makes Pence seem even more pathetic afterward. He was under no illusion that he would be safe. He knew Trump sent a mob to murder him and everyone else in the Capitol, but didn't have the guts afterward to 25th Amendment himself to the presidency. A pathetic, sniveling, spineless worm-thing, a jacket-rack that blends in with the drapes, a nothing that apparently has spent the last few months hiding in a house provided by the current governor of Indiana. May he piss himself out of terror every day for the rest of his worthless life.

In patheticness we can laugh at though, the Capitol eye gouger has been whining that he's in jail with Black people, I mean, people who committed "inner-city crimes." Don't you know that he did it out of racism, and thus should get special white-only cellmate privileges?

I'm sure once he's convicted he can join up with his brothers in the Aryan Brotherhood.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    On Pence, I said it before, him and the Acting Sec Def going over Trump to clear Trump's peasant mob out of the Capitol is a defacto invocation of the 25th. The first thing that defines a President is being Commander in Chief, and between that and the Joint Chiefs explicitely declaring that they wouldn't follow Trump, Trump wasn't President, they just decided to ran the clock out to avoid having to say that yes, they invoked the 25th.

Probably a mixture of cowardice and just wanting the flames of rebellion to putter out after Biden got sweared in and everything "came back to normal". There's arguments for and against not doing it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    No matter his personal rationale, Pence is still a sniveling coward and acted as such.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I'm sure once he's convicted he can join up with his brothers in the Aryan Brotherhood.

pretty sure beating a cop in the center of DC is the literal definition of an inner city crime

Xaquin on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Pence always chooses the path of least resistance. In this case he had a difficult choice. Was the path of least resistance to follow tradition and announce the correct winner of the Presidential race? Or to go with the wishes of his overbearing boss and refuse to? Both of them required him to make a positive stand, and this was absolutely antithetical to his cowardly character.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I mean, I sort of agree with him. Most of these "inner city criminals" are likely in there on over-inflated sentences brought on by trumped-up charges and pressured confessions. They don't deserve to be in prison with him.

Also, how is this the first time I hear about eye gouging during the Jan 6th terrorist attack? Is it just me living under a rock or was this massively swept under the rug by the MSM?

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I mean, I sort of agree with him. Most of these "inner city criminals" are likely in there on over-inflated sentences brought on by trumped-up charges and pressured confessions. They don't deserve to be in prison with him.

Also, how is this the first time I hear about eye gouging during the Jan 6th terrorist attack? Is it just me living under a rock or was this massively swept under the rug by the MSM?

I just wanna know if that cop is ok. Someone tried to gouge his eyes out.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    To the eye gouge: Even in the best of countries for criminal reform, jail and prison are unpleasant places. The US is not the best of places, and being locked in jails and prisons suck. But to quote you: “If you can’t do the time, then don’t do the crime.”

• Options
    edited April 2021
    If we weren't so squeamish about putting "respectable" criminals in jail, we might get some prison reform. Republican voters are fairly sure that no matter how "tough on crime" they vote, it will not be their own sons getting abused in prison, even if they do commit a crime in the course of "youthful hijinks."

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

they're called storm hammers now and they just want you to read some literature they have

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/10/proud-boys-far-right-givesendgo-christian-fundraising-site

Far right groups have been raising large sums of money through anonymous donations on a Christian charity gofundme clone. The fundraising campaigns covered a range of goals from legal fees related to the insurrection to equipment for militia groups. Said site has suffered a data breach which exposed the identities of the anonymous donors.

Note the article only calls out a subset of the total donations they've identified.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Are these right wing websites uniquely bad at security or are all websites that bad?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Are these right wing websites uniquely bad at security or are all websites that bad?

You get what you pay for and a lot of websites don't bother paying for good security. I would imagine conservative websites go for the lowest bidder more often than not.

Because, really, losing a bunch of users personal information is some temporary bad PR and people will move on from. It's not like it's THEIR birthdays and credit card numbers getting into the hands of criminals.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Serious websites are super careful with PII (but still make mistakes)

These grifter websites are not serious websites.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The unique thing about a lot of recent political data breaches is that they are made public, not that they happened. Russia undoubtedly wasn't the only folks to hack the DNC and RNC in the year that mustn't be named. But they were the only ones intentionally leaking that stuff to the press for their own ends rather than keeping it all internal.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'd also imagine that these types of sites are definitely targets for some slight more organized lefty hacker people/groups.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s a mad dash by grifters to try to get all the white nationalists on their platform before everyone else, with emphasis on speed and other people’s money

They are the Trump steaks of social media sites

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It’s a mad dash by grifters to try to get all the white nationalists on their platform before everyone else, with emphasis on speed and other people’s money

Can't be Trump Steaks. They're not well done.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Carpy wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/10/proud-boys-far-right-givesendgo-christian-fundraising-site

Far right groups have been raising large sums of money through anonymous donations on a Christian charity gofundme clone. The fundraising campaigns covered a range of goals from legal fees related to the insurrection to equipment for militia groups. Said site has suffered a data breach which exposed the identities of the anonymous donors.

Note the article only calls out a subset of the total donations they've identified.
    Of Tarrio’s donors, none immediately responded to requests for comment except for Gerardo G Gonzalez, who anonymously donated $1,000 to Tarrio on 7 January.

Public records show that Florida-based Gonzalez is a former pharmacist who owns at least six properties in Miami Beach and Homestead, Florida. His apartments, apartment buildings and an acreage lot have an assessed value in excess of $2.4m, and in prior decades has sold other properties worth millions more.

In a telephone conversation, Gonzalez said that his support of the Proud Boys was motivated by his belief that “there is no systemic racism in this country”, and his opposition to “BLM and Antifa” who he said represented “the real extremism” in the United States. He also used derogatory terms for Latinos and Democrats.

I love that the one guy they get a comment out of is a straight up racist troll. One wonders why he even selected to be anonymous on the website?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

fuck this is good

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

fuck this is good

Again, quite unlike a Trump Steak.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Of Tarrio’s donors, none immediately responded to requests for comment except for Gerardo G Gonzalez, who anonymously donated $1,000 to Tarrio on 7 January.

Public records show that Florida-based Gonzalez is a former pharmacist who owns at least six properties in Miami Beach and Homestead, Florida. His apartments, apartment buildings and an acreage lot have an assessed value in excess of $2.4m, and in prior decades has sold other properties worth millions more.

In a telephone conversation, Gonzalez said that his support of the Proud Boys was motivated by his belief that “there is no systemic racism in this country”, and his opposition to “BLM and Antifa” who he said represented “the real extremism” in the United States. He also used derogatory terms for Latinos and Democrats.

I love that the one guy they get a comment out of is a straight up racist troll. One wonders why he even selected to be anonymous on the website?

Because his name is Gonzalez and he didn't want to be subjected to anti-Latino bigotry?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    shryke wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

I just wanna know if that cop is ok. Someone tried to gouge his eyes out.

IIRC it's the cop who was caught in the door, they did that when he was stuck. He was ok.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Good security kind of requires a high floor of multidisciplinary knowledge/time/operational buy-in that can be difficult for under-resourced orgs to reach, particularly if your product is a web facing one. Some, but definitely not all, aspects need you approach them from a mindset that's orthogonal to the way you would approach it as a developer. It's also a constantly moving target that you have to continuously monitor. The end result is that poorly lead groups think of security as an expensive cost center that works against the orgs immediate goals.

These right wing grifter sites all tend to be bad at it because the whole point is to spend as little as possible while working the grift. However I do think a very high number of non-grift sites also have bad security but they just skate by since most people aren't interested in them.

TLDR: Security is hard and expensive and an uncomfortable number of sites and orgs are bad it.

Carpy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Really playing a game of ketchup

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Good security kind of requires a high floor of multidisciplinary knowledge/time/operational buy-in that can be difficult for under-resourced orgs to reach, particularly if your product is a web facing one. Some, but definitely not all, aspects need you approach them from a mindset that's orthogonal to the way you would approach it as a developer. It's also a constantly moving target that you have to continuously monitor. The end result is that poorly lead groups think of security as an expensive cost center that works against the orgs immediate goals.

These right wing grifter sites all tend to be bad at it because the whole point is to spend as little as possible while working the grift. However I do think a very high number of non-grift sites also have bad security but they just skate by since most people aren't interested in them.

TLDR: Security is hard and expensive and an uncomfortable number of sites and orgs are bad it.

Yea as soon as these kind of websites pop up I have to imagine they have massive cross hairs on them. There is just a ton of focus applied to breaching the security.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I would also note what was revealed: names and the like. A crowdfunding site (hopefully) pays attention to payment info, because it's obvious that's a potential target, (and there are actual rules surrounding storage of credit card numbers) but anonymizing donations is usually not a security thing, just a convenience feature. It only becomes a target when the site starts being used for fundraising by nazis. Here, I don't think the site was made from the start to be nazi-friendly, they're just the first site not to kick them out when they showed up.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Because his name is Gonzalez and he didn't want to be subjected to anti-Latino bigotry?

Latinos are at the stage of "becoming white" which gets very confusing as you get American born-and-bred people of Latino extraction who are really prejudiced against immigrant Latinos. It's like what happened to the Irish.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Latinos are at the stage of "becoming white" which gets very confusing as you get American born-and-bred people of Latino extraction who are really prejudiced against immigrant Latinos. It's like what happened to the Irish.

There's also the fact that "Latino" is a broad umbrella covering a number of ethnic groups which have a myriad of relationships with each other, not all of which are positive.

This discussion has been closed.