Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Most people will say any RG before #25 will have some issues.

Of course, they also say that the RX-178 is the best of the early RGs.

What MG are you gonna build?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Regarding scale, I posted this last year when we got together for build club for the first time post pandemic.

the Unicorn's definitely bigger than your standard Gundam.

LzdA2aNh.jpg

Left to right is the MGEX, PG, and 1/48 Mega Unicorn.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Finished my second model. It's a RX-178 RG and I'm a little disappointed. The waist feels really flimsy and seems to pop apart at the slightest tension. There are also a couple small pieces that are similar.

I have an MG and I'm curious to see the difference.

The MG is older and was also the third kit to get a 2.0 (after the RX-78-2 and Zaku II), but it's absolutely rock solid. The RG RX-178-2 is leaps and bounds ahead of the RG RX-78-2, but could still be a bit fiddly.

Personally I think that only the RG RX-78-2 and the RG Zeta are the only two that I would advise someone pass. The RG RX-78-2 is a scaled down MG RX-78-2 3.0 with a prebuilt inner frame, but the tolerancing wasn't right and it has a ton of tiny pieces for color separation, so it's a real hand grenade. The RG Zeta has to accommodate the transformation, so ends up hollow on top of fiddly and is also a hand grenade. And a nightmare to transform.

I've heard complaints about the RG Strike-based suits, but I've never had any particular issues with them.
    The RG Zaku II's chest vents are tiny and don't stay in well, so I glued them.
    The RG Astray Red Frame has a two half waist (top half has the side skirts, bottom has the front/back skirts and legs), and I had to glue these together.
    The RG Sinanju's knees wanted to pop off, so I glued those as well. I've heard a lot of complaints about this kit being a hand grenade, but it wasn't too bad. I built a 2nd version 2 years after the first, when I got the metallic gloss injection version, and has no loose parts at all. So I'm pretty sure any reruns have these issues fixed.
    The RG GP01 / GP01FB both have very limited waist articulation due to the core fighter design.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Unicorn and sinanju are notably larger than the usual robots IIRC

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WHEN WILL THOSE COWARDS AT BANDAI RELEASE A MASTER GRADE KSHATRIYA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I know right?!

Hell.. MAKE MY CENTURY. give me a fucking Perfect Grade Kshatriya!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    PG GP03 Dendrobium.

I want to fill my garage with a plastic robot.

• Options
    PG GP03 Dendrobium.

Okay, my ultimate desire is still and always a properly scaled Ultrasaurus with gravity cannon, or an SDF-1 Macross.

• Options
    lol 1/144 macross would be the size of a house right

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    my Mega Unicorn once decided to take a tumble off the top of a book shelf onto my skull (he lives on the floor now).
    What, your skull?

• Options
    PG GP03 Dendrobium.

If that's the case then we should be asking for a Mega Size Neo Zeong.

• Options
    lol 1/144 macross would be the size of a house right

I assume you mean the SDF-1 and not like a Valkyrie. It's 1210 meters in size, so a 1/144 would be around 8 meters tall. And awesome. I imagine the transformation would be a mother fucker, though.

• Options
    Is it really only 1.2 kilometers long? How'd they fit that city inside it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Is it really only 1.2 kilometers long? How'd they fit that city inside it

For comparison, an Imperial Star Destroyer is 1600 m. :p

• Options
    awww. I was hoping Metalballstudios would have a scale comparison video on this.. but their one on starships is from 2015, and they list the ISD as 900m, which is wrong.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So a dude released a 1/100 3d print version of it that was really good

And some madman instantly scaled it ip to 1/45

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I would expect the SDF-1 to be at least like 4-5 KM long given the apparent several literal city blocks of high-rise buildings inside of it, big park space, big outdoor amphitheater, etc., even if all that was condensed right next to each other.
    Especially since that's all crammed in the belly part and a great deal of the length is the engine legs and main cannon prongs.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Give me the Gurren Lagann from the final episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So what we’re learning today is that the SDF-1 is also a TARDIS.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Yes, I too need a 1/144 scale model of a mecha that is the size of three universes.

*edit* I love this comic so much:

shb3kdand8w7.jpg

Heffling on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    awww. I was hoping Metalballstudios would have a scale comparison video on this.. but their one on starships is from 2015, and they list the ISD as 900m, which is wrong.

The Victory and Victory-II class Star Destroyers are 900m.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I know we’re joking about giant model kits but:

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/tengen-toppa-gurren-lagann-plaiobot-super-galaxy-gurren-lagann-model-kit

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    remembering that time i estimated an HGUC tr-6 inle would be like 3 neo zeongs long and also remembering that madlad who started scratchbuilding part of one

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Once upon a time (around 2015 I think?) Bandai teased a then upcoming RE/100 Kshatriya. Evidently it got cancelled. If they couldn't make it work with a simple RE inner frame, I imagine it's never gonna happen as a proper MG. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

The Victory and Victory-II class Star Destroyers are 900m.

y2G3Bkhh.png

:D

• Options

Once upon a time (around 2015 I think?) Bandai teased a then upcoming RE/100 Kshatriya. Evidently it got cancelled. If they couldn't make it work with a simple RE inner frame, I imagine it's never gonna happen as a proper MG. :<

COWARDICE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Here's an annoyance: I can't find the weirdo grunt suits from 00 anywhere. I'd like a Flag or Over Flag, but nothing doing.

Granted the show is bordering on 20 years old, but still.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

ez6qczn3yqbj.png

Assuming I don't fall asleep on this comfy bed right here anyway.

• Options
    @Athenor I was just trying to explain why I thought they made a mistake, not that they hadn't made one.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

ez6qczn3yqbj.png

Assuming I don't fall asleep on this comfy bed right here anyway.

Oh wow that was my first freakin’ MG

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I haven't built that one, but my experience is that MG's pre-2005 with the release of the MG RX-178-2 Gundam Mk II is questionable, with the exception of the MG Ball (which was 2003). Also I was wrong about the order, the Mk II was the first 2.0, then the Zeta 2.0 also in 2005, Zaku II 2.0 in 2006. The RX-78-2 didn't get a 2.0 until 2008.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Here's an annoyance: I can't find the weirdo grunt suits from 00 anywhere. I'd like a Flag or Over Flag, but nothing doing.

Granted the show is bordering on 20 years old, but still.

They've definitely made Union Flag kits. A search on USAGS shows four entries: a regular Flag, Graham's custom, and two colors of Over Flag.

That said, they're all out of stock and I hear their joints are a bit loose.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Mistakes were made:
    iddjk6agqec0.jpg

My first humanish one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Athenor I was just trying to explain why I thought they made a mistake, not that they hadn't made one.

No worries, hopefully you know I say everything in jest and with a lot of mirth. :)

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    my Mega Unicorn once decided to take a tumble off the top of a book shelf onto my skull (he lives on the floor now).
    What, your skull?

No, the robot. My Skull is stronger than the beast of possibility

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I bought a blacklight and yes, that RG Eva 01's green parts are super luminous and also I guess our house is just splattered in cum.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    So I bought a blacklight and yes, that RG Eva 01's green parts are super luminous and also I guess our house is just splattered in cum.

A blacklight is a beautiful and a horrible thing. Very useful for dusting.

• Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    Hi, there! Haven't posted in a while, but this seems relevant to the size discussion going on earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6kW-m2JSA

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I’m assuming just based on the thumbnail and bahamut’s reaction that the video is a troll.

This discussion has been closed.