As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Minneapolis police shoot and kill a 20 year old black man as he drove away in his vehicle.

He had a warrant out for him. Probably thought they were going to kill him if he stopped.

Link

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Protesting is going on now, police are of course using rubber bullets and tear gas.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Protesting is going on now, police are of course using rubber bullets and tear gas.

Chief Arradondo better have these cops' jobs on a platter by the end of the day tomorrow.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Not Minneapolis police. Happened in a suburb of Minneapolis, different police department.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It’s a 15 minute drive in the same county. Cops have mutual aid agreements, so probably not all the same cops but a significant crossover.

Edit: misunderstood above.

David Walgas on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Minneapolis police shoot and kill a 20 year old black man as he drove away in his vehicle.

He had a warrant out for him. Probably thought they were going to kill him if he stopped.

Link

Oh look, the guy's girlfriend was in the car with him and the cops still fucking fired at him. Before anything else, every cop involved should be slapped with an attempted murder charge, that girl is damned lucky to be alive.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Minnesota National Guard deployed after crowds gather after death of man in officer-involved shooting

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/politics-and-the-english-language/
    Orwell wrote:
    In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Not Minneapolis police. Happened in a suburb of Minneapolis, different police department.

I zoned out on that part. Some of the suburbs don't have their own PDs

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    #DefundthePolice is back to national trending levels.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The video in this tweet is a tame cut of the video. Description below as well:
    Cops pepper sprayed, beat, and handcuffed army LT Nazario while in uniform. And then let him go.

LT Nazario: “I’m honestly afraid to get out of the car.”

Cop: “You should be.”

Tweet source is a Queens professor, video source is police body cam.

Start contacting your Congressmen and Senators, ESPECIALLY if they are Republican. Pressure them into picking which uniform they respect more because it cannot be both in this situation. Contact information can be found in the links below.
    https://www.house.gov/representatives
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

Some good news: the cops involved have been fired.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    When does the union step in to try to get their jobs back?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    The video in this tweet is a tame cut of the video. Description below as well:
    Cops pepper sprayed, beat, and handcuffed army LT Nazario while in uniform. And then let him go.

LT Nazario: “I’m honestly afraid to get out of the car.”

Cop: “You should be.”

Tweet source is a Queens professor, video source is police body cam.

Start contacting your Congressmen and Senators, ESPECIALLY if they are Republican. Pressure them into picking which uniform they respect more because it cannot be both in this situation. Contact information can be found in the links below.
    https://www.house.gov/representatives
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

Some good news: the cops involved have been fired.

Only one has so far, though the fact that it was the one who was looking to use Nazario's military service as leverage to cover up his conduct is reassuring, as it likely means the Army applied pressure as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

As soon as another department shoots an unarmed kid and the media stops updating.

Alternately he's already been hired at a different department.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    This Twitter account documents changes in NYT headlines:

NYT finally settled on this for now.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting.html
    Protesters Clash With Police After Minnesota Officer Shoots Black Man
    BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. — A 20-year-old Black man died after a police officer shot him during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb on Sunday, sending hundreds of people into the streets where they clashed with police officers into Monday morning.
    Passive voice is doing a ton of work there

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

They'll just move to a different precinct, too public to get their job back at same place.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    They currently have Attourney General Agro, they need their Tank to raid the wrong house and shoot someone to taunt the AG.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Minnesota National Guard deployed after crowds gather after death of man in officer-involved shooting

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/politics-and-the-english-language/
    Orwell wrote:
    In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness.

At least CNN does sometimes listen to complaints:
    Minnesota National Guard deployed after protests over the police killing of a man during a traffic stop

This is still not great because it foregrounds the Guard deployment (VIOLENT RIOTS!) over the proximate cause. But the killing part is no longer passive voice.
    Hundreds of people protested Sunday night after a Black man in Minnesota was shot by a police officer and died following a traffic stop.

Lede is reasonable.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gosh, I thought we were all told that the lack of National Guard response over the Capitol riots was because it produced bad press when they were deployed against the BLM protests. Well, lookee-here they seem to have got over it! How curious.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I read about the Lt. Nazario incident last night. It's been a long time since I've gone to bed really fucking angry.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Your chances of being shot during an interaction with the police are basically the same regardless of your skin color.

But the odds of being in an interaction with the police in the first place are substantially higher based on your skin color, because systemic racism.

My mom pointed out the other day that I still had a 2019 sticker on my car, I totally didn't even know

I've been driving since jan 1 2020 with expired plates and not been pulled over

I used to live in a poor, mostly black, neighborhood and I got pulled over at least monthly at night for reasons like "insurance checks" and then let go after being yelled at for (whatever cop could come up with). Weird how that works

When I moved from Ohio to Indiana I had to get new registration obviously. Once my new plate came in the screws holding the Ohio plate were rusted as hell and couldn't be removed without stripping the heads. I put the Indiana plate/registration in my glove compartment with the intention of handling it later. I proceeded to drive on expired out-of-state plates for the following 6 years without ever getting pulled over.

But I'm white and the car was an Infiniti

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    https://news.yahoo.com/police-antifa-activist-likely-shot-141049945.html

So remember that time a BLM protester shot a proud boy in self-defense, and then the US Marshals swiftly tracked him down and executed him with no body cams?

Well, they recently declared it was likely that the protester shot first.

Despite the fact that his gun was still in his pocket with a full clip inside.

That’s almost Russian in its audacity.
    Trump straight up admitted that the cops executed the guy!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-celebrates-law-enforcement-killing-antifa-activist-we-got-him-1076384/amp/
    We got him. They knew who he was. They didn’t want to arrest him, and 15 minutes, that ended.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

So remember that time a BLM protester shot a proud boy in self-defense, and then the US Marshals swiftly tracked him down and executed him with no body cams?

Russian? Its always been this way here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I read about the Lt. Nazario incident last night. It's been a long time since I've gone to bed really fucking angry.

If it wasn't so awful it would be comical that there are police officers out there who are that bad at their job. But then you realize we have to live in that world where they are that bad at their jobs and we're right back at being angry.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

"Sprinkle some crack on him."

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Russian audacity has historically appeared much calmer and intentional while US audacity looks more like this:

UQjzAIH.jpg

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

They'll just move to a different precinct, too public to get their job back at same place.

Keep in mind that this was a one-stoplight speed trap town. It has like seven officers, including the chief, senior training officer, etc. Those two guys on the video are *half* of the town’s patrol officers.

They’ll get hired elsewhere though, for sure. Some other speed trap town, or county sheriff, or wherever. But absent the pressure from the top at the state level, they probably don’t even get reprimanded. This is a town that shouldn’t even have a police force, it should be contracted at s level-of-service from the county.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Keep in mind that this was a one-stoplight speed trap town. It has like seven officers, including the chief, senior training officer, etc. Those two guys on the video are *half* of the town’s patrol officers.

They’ll get hired elsewhere though, for sure. Some other speed trap town, or county sheriff, or wherever. But absent the pressure from the top at the state level, they probably don’t even get reprimanded. This is a town that shouldn’t even have a police force, it should be contracted at s level-of-service from the county.

Oh my god

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Oh my god

Oh I forgot to mention that they wrote 2,000 to 3,000 tickets a year. For a town of 2,500.

They actually get a pretty high number of arrests too, presumably mostly drug related after “smelling marijuana.” But yeah, it’s a police force that exists almost entirely to shake down anybody passing through town on the highway.

Meanwhile, I’m reading some stories out of Minnesota. Primarily this one:

https://apple.news/AyJQYk8osROefvXgolSsbKg

So he’s pulled over, and has a warrant. Of course the way we do law enforcement is that “having a warrant” doesn’t mean the police will put any real effort into hunting you down to bring you to justice. It just means the next time you get pulled over they will demand you get out of the car and refuse to tell you why. Because we like *surprises* in our criminal justice system. Produces optimal outcomes, obviously.

And the actual traffic stop? For air fresheners hanging from the rear view.

Like our entire system of using minor traffic violations as a “spin the wheel” of police interactions is just beyond broken. You’re just minding your business driving along, and they find some random nonsense reason to pull you over. Spin one. Then spin two is where they decide whether this is a “watch your speed and have a good day” stop,” or a “anyways, I start blasting” stop. Obviously a warrant makes the latter more likely...but sometimes it’s just dumb luck. Like getting pulled over for a paper plate that you had displayed, and being threatened with lethal force because you drove a mile before stopping.

The entire idea of having armed police with arrest powers enforce traffic laws is, arguably, the root of the problem. It’s intentional, obviously. But it’s the problem.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I was just listening to the press conference and I guess the official reason for the stop was because of expired tags, which is just another bullshit excuse to pull someone over. I bet I’ll see a dozen cars with expired tags on my drive home from work today.

Plus, as I believe someone at the press conference pointed out, things like license tags are often delayed due to Covid. So the officers have been told to not pull people over for them.

The officer who fired was a “senior officer” who meant to use her tazer, but accidentally pulled her gun instead.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Marathon wrote: »
    I was just listening to the press conference and I guess the official reason for the stop was because of expired tags, which is just another bullshit excuse to pull someone over. I bet I’ll see a dozen cars with expired tags on my drive home from work today.

Plus, as I believe someone at the press conference pointed out, things like license tags are often delayed due to Covid. So the officers have been told to not pull people over for them.

The officer who fired was a “senior officer” who meant to use her tazer, but accidentally pulled her gun instead.

Which should(but won't) serve as an instant guilty plea for some sort of manslaughter charge. "I wasn't intending to kill this person, but fucked up and did" is basically the text book definition of manslaughter.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

Which should(but won't) serve as an instant guilty plea for some sort of manslaughter charge. "I wasn't intending to kill this person, but fucked up and did" is basically the text book definition of manslaughter.

If I recall this has led to at least a couple convictions over the years too. The “I meant to use my taser” defense is definitely a risky one. I believe the cop who shot Oscar Grant was convicted of manslaughter for that same supposed mistake.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Holy fuck that might actually be worse.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Late to the news on this

But of course that cop assumed the black guy must be low ranking

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The world leads me to believe cop holsters have a thumb lock for this exact reason, the idea being that your gun should be "locked" in your holster unlike your tazer so it takes and extra step to draw.

Ignoring the complete bullshit that is the weight difference between the two weapons.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The world leads me to believe cop holsters have a thumb lock for this exact reason, the idea being that your gun should be "locked" in your holster unlike your tazer so it takes and extra step to draw.

Ignoring the complete bullshit that is the weight difference between the two weapons.

And the different size and sights and handle material and...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

And the different size and sights and handle material and...

And they are also trained to keep their gun on their dominant hand side, and the taser on the other.

You know, to avoid confusing them.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Wasn’t the reason they fired on him because he was driving away?

How would a taser even be remotely effective in this instance?

Edit: revenge of the months old draft.

rhylith on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I don’t want to watch the footage, but the video transcript makes it sound like she was legit trying to taze him but fucked up horribly.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tasers don't get shot at moving cars because that's stupid. They won't penetrate and even if they miraculously do the taser is going for a ride in 0.5 seconds as the wires snap taut.

• Options
    I don’t make a habit of watching all of these videos...I emotionally just can’t anymore...but can somebody who has clarify? When she fired, was he just getting back into the car to drive away? Or was it moving? I assume the former.

Using a taser against somebody in control of a running car still seems like a terrible idea? I mean shooting them does too, it’s why many police organizations advise against it unless the suspect poses a grave risk to others.

This discussion has been closed.