As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Goddamnit. All of Tims tiny planeposting is making me want to buy tiny planes. I thought I shook the tiny plane itch with X-Wing, but its coming baaaack.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Goddamnit. All of Tims tiny planeposting is making me want to buy tiny planes. I thought I shook the tiny plane itch with X-Wing, but its coming baaaack.

Stay on target!

• Options
    I can't shake em! They're coming in too fast!

Neoooooowwwwwwwwww dakka dakkka dakka *Muffled explosion sounds*

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I volunteered at one of my FLGS a few years ago for comic con and now I get a 20% discount no matter what

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My local is pretty bodega already, so I’m happy to throw him some business even if I don’t get a discount.

The other options mean spending a half hour at least driving each way, or crossing my fingers about dodging an unlucky roll on my porch pirate skill check.

I also really want the local place to stay in business as it’s a neutral place to meet strangers for games.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    One nice thing about living in a high rise is that we have an Amazon locker and a locked mail room, so far fewer worries about porch pirates.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »

And wings of vengeance is on sale on the GW site today

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    My LGS sells GW stuff at 10% above MSRP, and that is apparently still by far their lowest-margin items.

I can't buy from GW directly. As they give the middle finger to everything VAT-related, I have to pay ca $50 on top in VAT and VAT handling fees when the items cross the border. (That's what happened when I bought the KT21 starter.)

(I'm in non-EU but EEC Norway.)

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    h2uqtjmnq2n3.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Shadow Throne
    uah4iy1r60q4.png
    Is basically a bonus for the house army of Custodes and other than the demo for the GSC it's a reprint of the ones from Overkill

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am happy GSC are getting a book they need it. But also not happy because playing GSC is a pain in the god damn ass when they were good. And if they are good again I expect the same. Custodes were already B+/A- tier. And I expect them to be just good. Especially since sisters are in the book now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Shadow Throne has has the leader sprue (Patriarch, Primus, Magus, baby 'stealers) from DW: Overkill, 1 regular box of neophytes, and the new demo lady.

• Options
    The start collecting Tzeentch box worked out better then I thought: if I don't build most of the chariot I then I get three blue horrors for Kill Team.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the great khan is getting an official mini, unfortunately it's for horus heresy and he hasn't returned from commoragh in the 41st

bb8ritj7pvhj.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I went to get more spray paint so I can paint more tiny planes but now I ran out of super glue so I can't assembly any more tiny planes.

Oh no! Won't anyone think of the tiny planes!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I guess I picked a great time to have a Custodes army painted up. The first part of my army should arrive well before the Codex, so I'll be ready day one with all the new fun changes. According to some rumor sources I trust the new Custodes rules are pretty great and take the army from A+ to S tier, so Codex creep continues...I just get to take advantage of it for a bit this time :biggrin:

I probably won't buy the box. The only model I'd need is the Blade Champion guy and I'll just wait until you can buy him as an individual kit. Though I'm sure in typical GW fashion he'll be broken good when it first releases hehe.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I guess I picked a great time to have a Custodes army painted up. The first part of my army should arrive well before the Codex, so I'll be ready day one with all the new fun changes. According to some rumor sources I trust the new Custodes rules are pretty great and take the army from A+ to S tier, so Codex creep continues...I just get to take advantage of it for a bit this time :biggrin:

I probably won't buy the box. The only model I'd need is the Blade Champion guy and I'll just wait until you can buy him as an individual kit. Though I'm sure in typical GW fashion he'll be broken good when it first releases hehe.

You know people say this a lot, but honestly, it's generally not true?

Like let's take the big primaris release at the start of 9th. From that all we see is the melta guys.
    ATVS, turrets, the bunker? All terrible.
    Same with necrons, a bunch of the new units are rubbish.
    Sisters have morgan and sacrasants which are good but then you have the tank and the mech suits.
    In terms of hits vs missies if you look at all the recent releases they're all very much more in the misses column.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'd only planned on getting the Custodes Codex and waiting until the character was a standalone release, but I don't own any Sisters models and I can always use more termies.

The only challenge might be finding someone in the area who plays GSC that wants to split the box.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    The ATV's aren't terrible. Even when losing the ability to be healed/resurrected by a chaplain they are still a viable unit. Maybe not S tier, but still very usable in a game edition where board presence and ability to get places quick is hugely valuable. They look stupid, and are one of my least favorite Primaris models, but functionally they are not terrible.

I was being mostly tongue in cheek there, but if we really want to analyze this I think it's best to look at only characters, since that's where a lot of power creep tends to happen. If you look at character releases a lot of them tend to release with some interesting, some might say broken, rules interactions. Combined with the fact that they tend to release in special box sets months before you can buy individual kits it leads to a bad look for GW. Maybe if we broke down the actual units we'd find it's a 50/50 split, or fewer units than we think release broken...but it creates a perception that GW puts powerful character units in expensive box sets to get people to buy models they don't need, to move product, and maybe doesn't balance those characters as well as they could. Once a perceptive narrative like that starts it attaches pretty easy and now it's just a bad look for GW.

That said, I was being tongue in cheek and I highly doubt this new Custodes guy is going to make or break an army where individual units are already kind of unbalanced by design. Each individual model in a Custodes army is already meant to be overwhelming strong, balanced by the fact that you can't bring many.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I need to paint these Eldar Aeronautia Imperialis fighters. Anyone got an interesting paint scheme. I've never painted Eldar before. Preferably not red as that is the Orks and I want them to stand out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the great khan is getting an official mini

GODDAMN HOLY SHIT HELL YEAH KHAN GONNA DO WORK
    unfortunately it's for horus heresy and he hasn't returned from commoragh in the 41st

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drw39IypXYw

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I need to paint these Eldar Aeronautia Imperialis fighters. Anyone got an interesting paint scheme. I've never painted Eldar before. Preferably not red as that is the Orks and I want them to stand out.

Battlefleet Gothic always had the Eldar stuff in a baby blue; that's kind of been my mind's stereotype of Eldar fliers.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Mymeara is best Eldar.

• Options
    As the guy with a Biel-Tan army, I am of course going to suggest them. Green with thorn patterns is a very classy look.

• Options
    5tszzqtlu73f.png
    The Octarius campaign that began with Book 1: Rising Tide, continues with War Zone Octarius Book 2: Critical Mass. Along with the galaxy-shaking conclusion to this epic conflict, the book contains a codex supplement for the Blood Axes, updated Index rules for Rogue Trader crews, a Speed Freeks Army of Renown, and rules for embarking on an Octarius Sector Campaign with new Legendary missions, branching mission trees, and powerful Crusade relics up for grabs. On top of that, there are also rules for using looted vehicles in Ork Crusade armies – no Rhino will ever be safe again!
    I know the DLC in the previous book went over poorly and I had to think didn't the Ork codex just come out but this book being basically a true DLC pack is rather insulting and I don't even play orks

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Absolute hilarity that the Orks are getting an Army of Renown which sounds like it's going to be tailor-made to buff the single build which is stomping tournaments currently

• Options
    I do like the looted vehicle part though. I am glad they brought that back for Crusade. Its such a fun orky thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Being able to add looted vehicles makes it worth the nonsense to me.

Also buffs to blood axes might be obnoxious. BA and freebooterz are in the "meta" right now.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Man, I hope the Reductus Saboteur is a Heavy Support option.

There’s already like a hundred character options in Elite.

• Options
    New character previews are up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/01/fight-for-the-fate-of-terra-with-the-two-incredibly-powerful-new-heroes-in-shadow-throne/

The remote explosives seem decent.

40xihchlgpch.png

I am not super impressed by the new Custodes guy. 6 attacks is good. And he should equal or out duel most characters. But the rest is just ehh.

jjj5pft4lk0c.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, with no buff aura he doesn't really seem to have a place? Custodes already has a bunch of fighty beasts, that's kind of their thing. I guess the flexibility of his weapon profiles is cool, but not sure I'm going to rush out to add him to my army.

I guess I could see him having a place against an army with a bunch of super beefy melee characters he could monch on.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Maybe I just don’t understand the rules, but dealing 3 damage per hit seems to outclass rolling 2 attack dice per attack for 1 damage each in every situation?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Maybe I just don’t understand the rules, but dealing 3 damage per hit seems to outclass rolling 2 attack dice per attack for 1 damage each in every situation?

Not against 1 wound models. Damage doesn't carry over in 40k.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The custodes dude is obviously there to sell a box for a codex they know wouldn’t see much excitement if it was a book only release

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The custodes dude is obviously there to sell a box for a codex they know wouldn’t see much excitement if it was a book only release

They have been doing boxes for almost every release and supposedly almost all codexes will have an individual box or a joint box like T-Sons vs. GK.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    If that's their nefarious plan, than I don't think it's going to move a ton of units just for that Custodes dude. He's fine, but not "buy a box full of other things you probably don't need" fine.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If that's their nefarious plan, than I don't think it's going to move a ton of units just for that Custodes dude. He's fine, but not "buy a box full of other things you probably don't need" fine.

It's why I call them hype boxes
    I got some sisters of silence last month for kill team but I was debating what to build them as [Bolters? the flamer?} My brother built his with the swords but stopped part away
    basically the talons of the emperor side of this box is a bonus for the house army of them since we lack most of that side
    THe GSC I make fun of since through various boxes [overkill- kill team box-tooth of claw and the genestealers I don't play with my tyranid army} I have a gsc army I ended up with at least a combat patrol but like the orks I also have from the years I will debate about getting the codex
    This is the other argument about getting the codex as it's hard to justify getting the book if I am not really going to use it or will only use a tiny part of it {the War zone Charadon book for the dlc}

• Options
    I know the pushback and disappointment with warhammer + is interesting and kind of sad as animation doesn't happen by magic or overnight normally and this is a pandemic in which people are consuming more streaming content than would be planned for under normal
    So with the new 10% voucher program for subscribers I am tempted to get a bunch of paints and some other things with the #468 mini wolf spear codex white dwarf but warcry catacombs is really tempting since it's the same price as ebay sellers
    Just I don't know as again I am gripped with indecision.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    That voucher offer seems pretty bad considering most third party sellers will already give you a 15-20% discount without needing to make a purchase in advance. I guess I appreciate GW trying to make Plus a better value proposition but this isn't the way to do it.

• Options
    Yeah I get a base 10% off at my store. Off any of the purchases. And I buy there more because I like supporting a really good FLGS. If I want to save and need something I tend to get it for 20% off on ebay or somewhere else.

u7stthr17eud.png