As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The FORBIDDEN DOOR has opened in the [wrestling] thread

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Whatever happens in the next match, please don't harm the cabinets or the CRTs.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »

The match ends when someone touches one of the capacitors on those monitors and is electrocuted to death.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Maybe it’s because I’m a NJPW fan but I see no problem with having tons of factions.

Factions are good and they also are a good way to fill out a card without over-exposing singles matches.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Deathmatch Legend Chuck Taylor does it again!

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Match of the year candidate for sure.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

Tweeter is Deathmatch Legend Charles Taylor.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That was a way better main event than I was expecting.

• Options
    AEW will always top WWE for me because they embrace dumb bullshit like that and just treat it seriously and its awesome.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Kreutz wrote: »

The match ends when someone touches one of the capacitors on those monitors and is electrocuted to death.

I've eaten a 54kV shot (thank God the current was in miliamps) from a switchback transformer in a projection screen CRT, while doing repair work at a Namco owned arcade. It was a 2 player Tokyo Wars set-up, my boss at the time informed me I flew back about 2 feet.

I woke up about 2 hours later in a hospital and was a bit like Guy Pearce in Memento for around half a day.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    That match reminded me of one of my favorite things Orange Cassidy has ever done: Fight Stokely Hathaway for the Independent Wrestling Title in an abandoned building outside of the 2019 Grammys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3OjavRUEmg

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    AEW will always top WWE for me because they embrace dumb bullshit like that and just treat it seriously and its awesome.

It's like one of those WWE holiday-themed street fights where everyone's using decorations as weapons, but with drama and stakes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Maybe it’s because I’m a NJPW fan but I see no problem with having tons of factions.

Factions are good and they also are a good way to fill out a card without over-exposing singles matches.

I don't mind all the factions, I just don't like how so many of them are in blood feuds at the same time. We get too many of the same angle every night. Dax getting busted open meant less after Dustin did that and got piledrived on stairs earlier in the show.

Magell on
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    I'll admit, I was initially disappointed that didn't take place in an actual arcade. But they got me into it, and it turned out to be the dumb fun match I expected.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the arcade thing started off a little wobbly but it picked up big time when Statlander showed up, then it was big fun

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This might be old, I've got a lot of podcasts to catch up on and Renee's is one of them, but Christian was on hers recently and talked about being cleared

For the "unsanctioned match" with Orton last year he was still put on the no-contact list
    I thought, `Wow, I'm that fragile that I can’t be touched?’ It didn’t sit well with me. I felt great. I decided to go on my own to the University of South Florida and see some doctors and do testing and have a long conversation. I told the doctor I wanted to step back in the ring to finish my career on my terms. When he said I can, it opened a bunch of doors for me. My test results and scores were good. I did another round of more rigorous testing in Pittsburgh and the doctor there said the same thing and here we are today.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    hey speaking of christian cage

what's tomko up to

Not giving Christian a beat.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    KUSHIDA vs. Pete Dunne at Takeover could really steal the show.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

In another bit on this show, at the end they ran out of things for him to sign and sell so he literally sold the shirt off his back to a fan and went home shirtless.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    That's a funny story, but I gotta admit, if I had a pro wrestler body, I probably wouldn't even own a shirt.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    That's a funny story, but I gotta admit, if I had a pro wrestler body, I probably wouldn't even own a shirt.

George the Animal Steele came with a built in shirt.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Current WWE cards for next week:

Takeover Stand And Deliver night 1 April 7
    Pete Dunne vs KUSHIDA
    Leon Ruff, Isaiah "Swerve" Scott, Bronson Ree, Cameron Grimes, Dexter Lumis and LA Knight in a six-man gauntlet eliminator match for #1 contendership to the North American title
    MSK (Wes Lee and Nash Carter) vs Grizzled Young Veterans (James Drake and Zack Gibson) and Legado del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza and Joaquin Wilde) in a triple threat for the vacant NXT tag titles
    Io Shirai defends the women's title against Raquel Gonzalez (with Dakota Kai)
    WALTER defends the NXTUK title against Tommaso Ciampa

Takeover night 2 April 8
    Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly in an unsanctioned match
    Ember Moon and Shotzi Blackheart defend the women's tag titles against The Way (Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell)
    Johnny Gargano defends the North American title against the winner of night 1's gauntlet
    Santos Escobar vs Jordan Devlin in a ladder match for the undisputed cruiserweight title
    Finn Balor defends the NXT title against Karrion Kross (with Scarlett Bordeaux)

SD April 9
    Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode defend the SD tag titles in a fatal fourway against the Mysterios (Rey and Dominik), Street Profits (Montez Ford and Angelo Dawkins), and Otis and Chad Gable
    Andre battle royal featuring 22 participants: Akira Tozawa, Angel Garza, Cedric Alexander, Drew Gulak, Elias, Erik, Gran Metalik, Humberto Carrillo, Jaxson Ryker, Jey Uso, Kalisto, King Corbin, Lince Dorado, Mace, Murphy, Mustafa Ali, Ricochet, Shelton Benjamin, Shinsuke Nakamura, Slapjack, T-Bar and Tucker

Mania night 1 April 10
    Cesaro vs Seth Rollins
    Bad Bunny (with Damian Priest) vs Miz (with John Morrison)
    Braun Strowman vs Shane McMahon in a cage match
    A #1 contendership match for the women's tag titles, participants TBA
    New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) defend the Raw tag titles against AJ Styles and Omos
    Sasha Banks defends the SD women's title against Bianca Belair
    Bobby Lashley (with MVP) defends the WWE title against Drew McIntyre

Mania night 2 April 11
    Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn (with Logan Paul)
    The Fiend (with Alexa Bliss) vs Randy Orton
    Shayna Baszler and Nia Jax defend the women's tag titles against the winners from night 1
    Riddle defends the US title against Sheamus
    Big E defends the IC title against Apollo Crews
    Asuka defends the Raw women's title against Rhea Ripley
    Roman Reigns (with Paul Heyman) defends the Universal title in a triple threat against Edge and Daniel Bryan

I can't believe they couldn't even find a minute for Nakamura to be on the actual 2-night Mania. I mean, I can, but...I can't at the same time

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    It says a lot that your takeaway from all that is “smh couldn’t find a spot for Nakamura” and not “those are exceptionally good cards especially considering the nightmare hellscape that is Raw currently.”

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Takeover looks great, Mania looks shit. Only Rollins v. Cesaro, Banks v Belair, Asuka v Ripley, and the 3 way look decentish.

I would say Owens v Zayn, but...

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Is Mysterio's kid actually any good? Otis and Gable? Jeez.

Two nights of WM and they couldn't fit the battle royale in to pay people? Assuming they even pay people more for the big shows anymore...

Logan Paul!?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Nirya wrote: »
    It says a lot that your takeaway from all that is “smh couldn’t find a spot for Nakamura” and not “those are exceptionally good cards especially considering the nightmare hellscape that is Raw currently.”

I hate absolutely everything I've seen of the Fiend on social media, there's at least two #SpeakingOut creeps in major title matches (Devlin and Riddle), they got the only NXTUK talent who Weren't exposed in their main title match yet still continue the brand, SD's laughable, and four of the Mania matches have already happened (two of them many more times than 1). Surprisingly none of which are Raw issues

So yeah, if I have to have one takeaway that's not "half of the cards are good so it's all good", it's "give someone with actual talent a spot over a sex pest or Bray Wyatt". Please. Won't get one complaint from me if it happened

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I understand the downside of Logan Paul, but he is on the heel side and Kevin Owens has powerbombed a celebrity off the stage before.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

I hate absolutely everything I've seen of the Fiend on social media, there's at least two #SpeakingOut creeps in major title matches (Devlin and Riddle), they got the only NXTUK talent who Weren't exposed in their main title match yet still continue the brand, SD's laughable, and four of the Mania matches have already happened (two of them many more times than 1). Surprisingly none of which are Raw issues

So yeah, if I have to have one takeaway that's not "half of bad cards are good so it's all good", it's "give someone with actual talent a spot over a sex pest or Bray Wyatt". Please. Won't get one complaint from me if it happened

The Fiend is a Raw thing. One of the sex pests (Riddle) is on Raw. SD has been pretty damn good. A match having happened in the past is not a reason to dismiss it, especially if it's something like Zayn/Owens. The NXTUK thing feels....idk, needlessly petty?

Like, I get that this thread in general is very anti-WWE in a lot of respects (and again, I get it. I don't even bother with Raw anymore), but those are some damn strong cards with excellent title matches anchoring them at the top. That's better than it has any right to be.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    But why I gotta watch more Ziggler then Nakamura

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I've been far outs the loop just wanted to shit post Nitya

icGJy2C.png
  • Options

Can't believe you'd do me like this.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Nitya wrote: »

Can't believe you'd do me like this.

Just allow a little time to reacclimate, it's fine.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Jericho is going on the Steve Austin show on the WWE network. Should be interesting.

• Options
    What's behind forbidden door number two?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    On Mania, I'm just disappointed that the "Get Everyone Else A WrestleMania Paycheck" Battle Royale has been shunted to Smackdown, where presumably, they won't be collecting WrestleMania paychecks.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Are Wrestlemania Paychecks even a thing anymore?

This discussion has been closed.