As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Is there actual science or studies proving reverse dieting is a thing

The most I could find was that adding the calories back faster might cause you to gain fat back faster but not necessarily more of it, and the bigger concern is people overeating past what they should?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Peas wrote: »
    It's weird that I didn't feel any stronger and even put on like 7 pounds recently but was suddenly able to increase my number of pullups from 4 to 5, gotta double check again after tomorrow and see if it was a fluke or miscount

If that's true then I am 1 more away from reaching my target so that's exciting

Damn son I can actually do 6 now, not that cool looking though since I have to really struggle to do the final 2. I have been adding a small amount of pushups to my daily life recently, wonder if those helped?

Wonder if aiming for 10 pullups next would be too greedy and unrealistic of a goal. I could do 12 at my max but that was more than a decade ago when I was much younger and fitter being conscripted

Peas on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    It's weird that I didn't feel any stronger and even put on like 7 pounds recently but was suddenly able to increase my number of pullups from 4 to 5, gotta double check again after tomorrow and see if it was a fluke or miscount

Damn son I can actually do 6 now, not that cool looking though since I have to really struggle to do the final 2

Wonder if aiming for 10 pullups next would be too greedy of a goal

If you can do six, ten is a very reasonable goal. And being able to do six pull-ups is really solid, well done! Most people absolutely can't do that.

With hard earned experience though, I'd say it's potentially worth keeping yourself to sets of say, 4-5 if that's how many you can do with good form.

Solar on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Cello wrote: »

The most I could find was that adding the calories back faster might cause you to gain fat back faster but not necessarily more of it, and the bigger concern is people overeating past what they should?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYJW9pViaM

Dr. Eric Trexler goes into it at about 1:03:20 and I trust a doctor more than a guy who keeps talking about Dumbledore.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

There are two kinds of things that people might mean when they say reverse diet. The first and much more common one is to say that instead of abruptly ending a calorie restricted diet, one should taper it off. So, if you’re at a 1,000 calorie deficit, instead of going right back up to no deficit, you would go to a deficit of 950 a week, then 900, then 800, then 700, etc, until you’ve returned to no deficit. The other way that people look at it is eating at an actual calorie surplus.

The first works, for some value of works. You’re eating at a calorie deficit, so you’ll continue to lose weight, though at a slowing pace. Some people may find it easier on a physical or mental level to end their diet like this. No significant scientific studies have been done on it, but the theories are fairly straightforward and most of the theories are relatively uncontroversial. Some people may feel and look bloated and weird if they go from a big deficit to a normal calorie budget, reverse dieting helps smooth out that process for some people, and they’ll continue to lose weight through the reverse dieting process. This is basically what I did.

The second thing that people might mean with reverse dieting is that by eating the right foods, they can lose weight while eating at a surplus. This is magical thinking. It might in some cases work for the very short term, due to how the body processes water. But ultimately, it’s saying that the power of protein (or carb) ingestion can counteract the laws of thermodynamics, which is very unlikely. In fairness to the second, it can also be used to talk about bulking, which is legitimate. But that’s not weight loss.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Motor on my treadmill burnt out yesterday. Couldn't find a replacement motor anywhere, or motor rebuild people that aren't marine/industrial focused/priced, so unexpected purchase of new treadmill it is! This time I got the two year insurance though. Didn't get that last time because "surely covid will be over by then".

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

Damn son I can actually do 6 now, not that cool looking though since I have to really struggle to do the final 2. I have been adding a small amount of pushups to my daily life recently, wonder if those helped?

Wonder if aiming for 10 pullups next would be too greedy and unrealistic of a goal. I could do 12 at my max but that was more than a decade ago when I was much younger and fitter being conscripted

Just go slow and steady - muscles will strengthen faster than joints / ligaments / tendons. IMO it's better to stick with clean sets multiple times per day than trying to reach for one more rep, thats just a recipe for injury.

Keep it up, ten per set is a completely reasonable goal within four to six weeks.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I really can't see myself reaching 10 pullups within four to six weeks to be honest lol

I think even getting to where I am now took me like 3~4 months

Peas on
  • Options
    Tax refund just came in, now I don't have to let that charge for the new treadmill sit.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I really can't see myself reaching 10 pullups within four to six weeks to be honest lol

Yeah I'm up to 5 at a max after like six months, but in my defense I'm still 6'3" and like 190lbs. (Although I done fucked up one of my shoulders recently, I think by doing dead hangs without engaging my shoulder enough, so who knows where I'll be at after that heals)

• Options
    I am pretty lucky to not have any big injuries yet. I remember my neck being really sore and painful sometimes after a workout during my 0~3 days, thankfully those went away as I got stronger((?) I think

• Options

If you did four sets of five, three times a week, then I reckon within a couple of months you'd be able to do eight. And your shoulder and back engagement/stability would be way up

• Options
    Since we are discussing pull-up goals, I have moved over entirely to weighted and one-armed stuff

Seem to have got a little stuck at 18kgs added weight x 4 reps in a set, but I feel that I can get a lot from the one-armed band assisted eccentrics as they really give me a solid muscle burn. So I will keep up the weighted, but use that to open the routine, and then after the weighted go into the eccentrics to just really pile on the load. And then ideally go from eccentrics with weaker bands, and potentially one-armed pull-ups with band assistance. That'd be sweeeeet.

• Options

I ran my fastest 5K in a few months this afternoon, finishing in 25:16.

I really want to get back onto the trail, rather than the sidewalk. Doing it on the sidewalk meant running through long and deep puddles where snow-melt was getting trapped between snow banks, it meant having to slow or step stop to let vehicles past at intersections, it meant having to slow down a lot while passing, and it meant going up 50 meters of hill. Plus, the surface on the trail is so much nicer.

On the bright side: plenty still in the tank at the end of the run. Spring can’t get here soon enough.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The creeping depression that I think is hunting me is really fucking with my flow, y'all.

I'm still exercising, but I'm forgetting to eat. And my willpower for what I'm eating is practically nothing.

I really really hate my brain

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The creeping depression that I think is hunting me is really fucking with my flow, y'all.

I'm still exercising, but I'm forgetting to eat. And my willpower for what I'm eating is practically nothing.

:bro:

• Options

Marathon not a sprint

Also potentially worth specifically planning an off-week and then a restart week

I sometimes do that, if my exercise is poor quality, I'll say right okay time to rest for a few days, and then I'll really focus on getting the routine back next week. It is important to recognise that your body is running hot with regular exercise and lower calorie intake (in your case) and that it needs the pressure easing occasionally. Frustrating! But important :)

• Options
    edited February 2021

Will setting an alarm for meal prep help at all? Maybe that can help with the forgetfulness part, and getting some quick-make meals for when you feel too low energy to cook? (Usually a problem when I'm deeply depressed is the energy required to make food, but once I've eaten I feel loads better.)

I know when my depression has hit hard before, the biggest struggle is getting inertia enough to move, but if you're exercising that's great - the endorphins can help a lot with pushing back on the depression too! Though if it becomes really problematic, always a good idea to chat with your doctor or get a tune-up with a therapist, of course

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    I just remembered that I have renters insurance, so I filed a claim for my busted treadmill. Also two days in a row now I managed my normal run at the gym but wearing a mask. Makes it wayharder for sure.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Today I ate a a little under maintenance calories as part of a diet break and had an absurd 257 grams of protein with only 170 grams of carbs.

It's the small victories in life where you get to get away with eating a lot of peanut butter and Italian beef and Quest bars flavored like birthday cake that really matter.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Welp, I decided to try one of those fitness tracker things, but cheaped out and bought a Fitbit knockoff.

Apparently I have no heartbeat at all when I'm working out. Also I'm 14 feet tall and 73 pounds. The fitness tracker absolutely will not save any changes to this information.

At least it... tells the time...?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    if I'm exercising and I sweat enough it will also absolutely break my fitbit versa 2's heart rate tracker

• Options
    Are Quest bars any good? I'm working through a pile of RXBARs which are at least less chewy warmed up but, ehhhh....

I'm really enjoying the change to my diet involving more calories and especially the focus on protein without limiting carbs as much as with keto. The variety is nice!! I'm still a little worried about fat regain but I probably shouldn't do a cut for a few months and just let things settle out at maintenance for a bit first, put some more muscle on etc

Steam
  • Options

My Fitbit (Charge HR 2) and Apple Watch are in rough agreement about my heart rate at any given moment. Fitbit usually pegs my exercising heart rate slightly faster and my resting heart rate slightly lower, but the difference is usually 1 or 2 BPM. Apple Watch likes my VO2 more though, though they’re still very close.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    New treadmill is on a truck up from California and should be here tomorrow.

Also basically yeah do cardio for cardiovascular health but exert force move mass for caloric burn.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »

Also basically yeah do cardio for cardiovascular health but exert force move mass for caloric burn.

I disagree with the last. In the moment, lifting really isn’t great at burning calories. Harvard has a page where they provide various calorie burn rate for activities for people of various sizes, and even vigorous lifting is basically a middle of the road activity for calorie burn. With that said, muscle does burn calories on its own. But that’s at a rate of about six or seven calories per day per pound. It takes a lot of work to get to the point where it starts to outpace running or biking.

I’d flip your statement completely. Do cardio for calorie burn. Exert force and move mass to improve overall health.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Welp, I decided to try one of those fitness tracker things, but cheaped out and bought a Fitbit knockoff.

Apparently I have no heartbeat at all when I'm working out. Also I'm 14 feet tall and 73 pounds. The fitness tracker absolutely will not save any changes to this information.

At least it... tells the time...?

Didge did you get infused with superpowers or something

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I bet those Harvard nerds never did a 20 rep set with 50% of their 1RM or pushed a sled long enough to get prowler flu

I don’t know how they figured those caloric rates and to be honest don’t really care, just wanted to say that the vast majority of the time kinesiology / exercise science studies are flawed due to participants or methods being shit and grad school fucking sucked reading article after article about shit being done on smith machines.

That said the caloric estimations are probably decently accurate, I think their weight ranges are garbage (all under 200? Lol) and it doesn’t matter which activity you choose to do to burn calories, none of them will have a significant impact if your eating is out of control. You’re better off lifting a couple times a week, doing cardio a few times a week, being active throughout the day (think 10,000 steps/ADL) and ultimately limiting how much you consume during the day if you’re concerned about calories.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

I disagree with the last. In the moment, lifting really isn’t great at burning calories. Harvard has a page where they provide various calorie burn rate for activities for people of various sizes, and even vigorous lifting is basically a middle of the road activity for calorie burn. With that said, muscle does burn calories on its own. But that’s at a rate of about six or seven calories per day per pound. It takes a lot of work to get to the point where it starts to outpace running or biking.

I’d flip your statement completely. Do cardio for calorie burn. Exert force and move mass to improve overall health.

I super appreciate your sourcing, and I'm totally ok not being a source of fitness advice. Things change all the time.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    https://youtu.be/6ZrnbrFCk4k?t=140

It turns out if you want your family to be super enthusiastic about your hobbies, you shouldn't send them footage of the women's crews at the 2012 championships being absolutely thrashed by big water before they can get out to the start of the race

E: hm really wanted that to queue up to 2:20

Anyway 2:20 is, as the commentator says, "absolute carnage"

E's E: To be clear, no CW necessary I don't think, no injuries, just outrigger canoes trying to cut through massive waves off the coast of Hawaii and huli'ing in large numbers

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/6ZrnbrFCk4k?t=140

It turns out if you want your family to be super enthusiastic about your hobbies, you shouldn't send them footage of the women's crews at the 2012 championships being absolutely thrashed by big water before they can get out to the start of the race

E: hm really wanted that to queue up to 2:20

Anyway 2:20 is, as the commentator says, "absolute carnage"

E's E: To be clear, no CW necessary I don't think, no injuries, just outrigger canoes trying to cut through massive waves off the coast of Hawaii and huli'ing in large numbers

Wiping out with just yourself and a surfboard in the wave sucks, wiping out with 5 other people and a 40ft canoe is outright terrifying!

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Friday weigh-in
    Last week: 166 lbs
    This week: 167 lbs

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If you're lifting on a calorie deficit for weight loss / body recomposition, what numbers should you shoot for? Like, should you expect or attempt any strength growth or do you just lift your last numbers while you were in surplus calories to try and retain as much muscle mass as you can during your deficit?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Day after tomorrow it will have been 2 months since I quit soda, 1 month since I started vegetarian mondays and tuesdays, and 2 weeks since I DRASTICALLY reduced calorie intake.

Finally lost a couple lbs.

35 more to go!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm finally gonna start on quitting soda again today myself. I started again when I was out of my simulant and haven't quit entirely again yet.

I've also been cutting back on caffeine though too, slowly. I'm not giving it up but I had been accidentally taking in way to much with those miio things. It was giving me migrainelike headaches. (Doing the math it was like 1200mg a day... I think I'm down closer to a few hundo now where I'm only taking in from one spray of miio one v8 fusion and one cup of coffee)

I need to pick up some fruits though too. To snack on to push through the worst sugar cravings for the next week or so. Some apples and oranges maybe for afternoons where it gets to me.

• Options
    I haven't been able to cut back on coffee yet =(

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I've never been a huge coffee drinker. I live for the stuff don't get me wrong. it's delicious and making it is super fun but I can't handle more than maybe two a day myself.

It's why I want to be a barista because I want to make delicious coffee for other people to enjoy. It makes me happy to make other people things like that.

One thing though is, if you take your coffee black it's got like no calories or so few as to be almost none. One option would be decaf if you want to reduce your caffeine intake for headaches reasons or for anxiety. But depending on your personal reaction to caffeine it might be relatively harmless to keep drinking coffee. What you gotta watch is the sugar and cream.

Though also a concern with coffee is caffeine is a diuretic. It will not hydrate you very well. So, as always, lots of water.

Though not as much water as when I cut back on soda. Water toxicity feels bad!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

I love coffee, and will typically drink two pots a day. Sometimes more. I am cheerfully addicted.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I love coffee, and will typically drink two pots a day. Sometimes more. I am cheerfully addicted.

I'll drink a full pot a day

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If you're lifting on a calorie deficit for weight loss / body recomposition, what numbers should you shoot for? Like, should you expect or attempt any strength growth or do you just lift your last numbers while you were in surplus calories to try and retain as much muscle mass as you can during your deficit?

That's a complicated question. My dietitian had me do an InBody exam at the start of when we started working together (and every 3 months we do a follow up one to check progress and see if we need to adjust) and used that to check her estimates. She pegged based on my weight and height and activity level (gym 3 times a week, cardio 2-3 times a week, one day of rest) that I should shoot for a 400-600 daily calorie deficit to help build more lean mass/muscle + lose fat, but as the workouts have increased I'm finding I have to eat some extra carbs, especially on lifting/gym days to not be gassed by the end of it. I haven't seen tons of weight loss, but I have gained more muscle/lost some fat in the 6 months or so I've been doing what I've been doing (rough targets were 2200 calories, 40% carbs/30% fats/30% protein macros: I usually hit around 2300~2500 a day during the week, and weekends I don't really keep to the program and indulge more on carbs & calories. Maintenance calories are estimated around 2700~2800, but that may have changed by now). Realistically I've seen more definition changes than actual weight loss, which has been in single digits in pounds but the InBody is good to see where you've lost weight/gained muscle that the scale isn't capturing at least.

edit: additional caveats - I had been lifting/strength & conditioning training for over a year and several months at that point, and switched from doing a lower carb diet to something more balanced as described above. I absolutely was able to go up in how much I could lift and how much easier it was just from the dietary change alone, and then we expanded the workouts going to 7-9 exercises per day from 6, which is when I started to notice the deficit stuff starting to be an issue to some extent (some of it is also shifting enough carbs into earlier into the day before the workout rather than after, as I go to the gym after work).

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List