As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Classic] Wrath of the Lich King is Live!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Did blizzard wipe classic servers or something? I installed WoW classic but I can't find my characters anywhere.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Did blizzard wipe classic servers or something? I installed WoW classic but I can't find my characters anywhere.

if you didn't manually reserve your vanilla characters back to vanilla servers they were all transitioned to wrath with no recourse

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    ya same thing happened to me. got a priest and lock to like 30-40 in the original classic launch and stopped. went back and they had been moved to tbc and then wrath. such bs

• Options
    its even more BS that I had a character I created on era *after* TBC came out but the transition hadn't been finalized yet, and that character was also teleported to the main servers and deleted from era. lol?

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    People are talking a lot about griefing, but in my experience on Bloodsail it really isn't happening all that much. There's a level 11 alliance rogue named "Zalazone" or something that tries to trick people into clicking him as people are waiting for Zalazane to pop, but like the guy is literally level 11. Even if he's twinked , a couple of people could just team up and take him out.

There was a video of a horde low level character that "accidentally" got flagged in Westfall around Deadmines, but it was a trap, because there was a level 60 waiting in stealth to peg anyone who took the bait. I've also heard of things like pulling alliance guards to Ratchet to gank horde players. But like all of that stuff isn't that common and you could just warn people in general chat.

I find there's more fear about griefing than actual griefing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So blizzard confirmed a new season for classic and actual hardcore servers this weekend. So that's coming sometime soon?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    My guess would be a few weeks after ToC drops before anything new launches, at the very earliest. Honestly, SOM2 or whatever better be reaaaaaally enticing else I don’t really see coming back at all.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Hardcore classic has been interesting. I've been participating on Bloodsail Buccaneers and I've died twice so far, once because of lag and another because of a disconnect. One at level 7 and the other at level 6.

It has honestly been kind of boring solo so far. I spend a lot of time just grinding mobs over quests if the quests are too high.

A friend of mine wants to play hardcore but first wants to get used to classic by doing a normal run to 60 which I'm looking forward too.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mercade wrote: »
    My guess would be a few weeks after ToC drops before anything new launches, at the very earliest. Honestly, SOM2 or whatever better be reaaaaaally enticing else I don’t really see coming back at all.

I kinda feel like they've either somehow added some new content or theyce really messed around with numbers and tuning. They haven't spent a year+ on som2 for it to be something small. And since it's running on the modern wow engine, I bet they could steal assets from any part of wow to make anything.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Wow token was added today. People are... not happy. Lots of backlash on the official forums and reddit.

• Options
    on the bright side, that's sort of tacit acknowledgement that the wrath servers will persist after wrath... the retail minus dream is here, the classic plus dream... indeterminate

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    gonna really destroy the economy when all the gold you get from GDKP runs comes from purchased gold instead of purchased gold

• Options
    yeah its long been a hand waived lie that the literal hundreds of thousands of millions of gold in classic is not coming from people swiper swiping. "no see they farmed up 200k immediately getting into a new expansion, yep"

Even people who "earned it" on the GDKP have bought gold in their pockets

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i farmed my gold >:(

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I don't really see why people care if others "buy" their gold.

If it was current content, maybe.

But the game is nearly 20 years old. Who really gives a shit of so-and-so earned that Grand Tundra Mammoth at this point.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Most of the gold you buy is either from gross like slave labor operations or from stolen accounts. For non blizzard sources.

Gold infusions also giga fuck whatever server economy could be there. I mean its done and dusted on the classic servers has been since they came out, but in theory if you couldn't buy gold things wouldn't cost thousands on thousands.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Most of the gold you buy is either from gross like slave labor operations or from stolen accounts. For non blizzard sources.

Gold infusions also giga fuck whatever server economy could be there. I mean its done and dusted on the classic servers has been since they came out, but in theory if you couldn't buy gold things wouldn't cost thousands on thousands.

Also, to expand on that point MMO currency in WoW and Runescape were the proto-crypto in that they were used for money laundering, usually on credit card fraud. That's bad. Also, always got this saved on how the world pre-WoW token was like:
    In the mid-2000s, insanely successful World of Warcraft gold farm Internet Gaming Entertainment (IGE) brought on Bannon, a former investment banker with Goldman Sachs, to wrangle venture capital, according to an old Wired piece.

In 2006, “Goldman Sachs, together with a consortium of private funds, made a reported $60 million investment in the company,” while Bannon took a seat on the board. But IGE faced a class action lawsuit from WoW players over the insecure legality of trading virtual items for real money and eventually IGE sold off its market place and rebranded as Affinity, a group of online MMO forums.

Yes, is that Steve Bannon. Yes, that's a 60 million dollars investment on a gold farming operation. I do remember the, in hindsight, incredibly fucking racist rants against Chinese gold farmers on the WoW forums and YouTube.

• Options
    surprisingly reasonable hardcore ruleset from blizzard https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23973734/rules-of-engagement-classic-hardcore-is-coming-to-world-of-warcraft

my favorite part is that if you die you dont lose the character it just goes back to a regular era realm, which is what happens in diablo I think, or at least it did in Diablo 3 as far as I remember

solo questing in isolation is basically how i played classic anyway so i inadvertently play hardcore by default, but losing my character was always a non-starter... definitely a chance I give this a whirl if I am ever super bored

• Options
    Yeah, I have zero interest in hardcore but this is pretty good execution of it, I think. I particularly like Duel to the Death with the ear trophy thing, but Blizz needs to get ahead of people rolling level 11s with the purpose of selling deaths. Both parties should probably need to be at least level 30, without more than a few levels between them, for it to count.

Otherwise, still waiting on some SOM2 news. I’ve been unsubbed for a couple months, Ulduar burned me out. I remember loving it in 2010 or whatever, but for whatever reason, my hype to revisit it was a bit overshot.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Might not be the right forum for this type of thing, but Red Cat has a bunch of the old WoW collector's editions in the big bulky boxes with the art books and what-not and is looking to make them go away. If anyone wants to do the shipping we will send them where ever.

I think they don't have the sound track disks though. Might be worth the shipping to the right person, otherwise we might just make them go away.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It is my brother's and several people I know of over the years complain to blizzard to bring back the classic collector's pets doing it for charity or something

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was definitely expecting things like the Sparkle Pony and Core Hound pup etc to show up when appropriate but apparently not

I want my little pug back :(

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    is something about the pets not working on classic? i was pleasantly surprised to get my netherwhelp in BC

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think the collectors edition pets are working, but the core hound for example isn't showing up (at least for me, even though my ancient keyfob authenticator is still active). The pug was specifically called out as having plans for an alternative acquisition from the RDF, but that's not arrived yet so meh.

Having done a bit of digging the authenticator page does say its for "modern" WOW only but that's dumb as hell, no reason not to provide period-appropriate rewards or honour old store purchases imo.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    era has moved right past the charming serenity of classic enjoyers and is now overstuffed... with.... i dont know who these people are... wrath exiles?

i cant access the mind of people who pay for zg boosts in phase 95

that said it seems like horde is like.. way way way more chill. if you're playing alliance on whiteman rn it feels exactly like pagle did in phase 6. obnoxious. lot of people hungry for fresh.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Blizzard really blew it with the H+/H++ thing. They should have just moved the P1 gear from H+ down to regular heroics, put the P2 gear on H+ and upped the difficulty a little. That way, fresh 80s have some way of gearing up that didn't involve spamming tons of PvP or joining GDKPs. I tried coming back to see if I could gear up my 80 horde priest a little and have some fun, but it felt a little hopeless

I'm a little disappointed how little they seem to care about Classic now compared to the lead-up to launch and the first few months of release. Even that feels nostalgic at this point

• Options
    i think they're stuck between a rock and seven hard places with what to do to close out wrath

got my paladin to 27, i dont think ive ever actually gotten a vanilla paladin to SoC level with a proper weapon. it really is intoxicating. i crit u for 450 damage using auto-attack... thats called skill. get outplayed.

had some actual low level horde visit redridge all night causing trouble... non-obnoxious world pvp? it was lightly obnoxious because they had about 500g worth of engi stuff on them, but STILL, they fed to all the 5 mans running elite quests

• Options
    Actual level-appropriate world PvP happening in Era? That’s pretty rad

• Options
    https://www.wowhead.com/blue-tracker/topic/us/classic-era-1-14-4-pvp-update-1631287

semi-interesting I guess if only because I suppose it signifies that further non-hardcore vanilla content is likely.... there is no honor system in the HC realms, so this currently only impacts era (and presumably a rumored som2)

in a nutshell, the old honor ranking system is gone and is replaced with something that roughly simulates it but removes the collusion aspect

you can no longer de-rank (unless you DK), you just have a long static treadmill to run if you want GM. in their beta settings you have to get 750k honor for 8 weeks to get GM, period

i think this is fine. the gear is extremely good and the amount of time you would need to spend doing this still greatly exceeds what you'd be investing in a raid team.

• Options
    Good changes imo, however, wasn’t one of problems re: SoM was that rank 14 gear was available way too early? Some of that gear is too good to be available in parallel with MC or whatever. People will just be done and quit

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Good changes imo, however, wasn’t one of problems re: SoM was that rank 14 gear was available way too early? Some of that gear is too good to be available in parallel with MC or whatever. People will just be done and quit

SOM had honor from day 1 which made it really ridiculous, but era did not.... honor wasn't out until phase 2.

There were SOME GMs by the time BWL came out but it wasn't excessive because you can only have so many GMs per week in the old system

in this model there's definitely the potential for a huge amount of GM gear in the game by the time BWL hits.... but all that means if you've got thousands to tens of thousands of people grinding battlegrounds... but at their own pace and without all the politics and drama

i swished this around for a while and I think this is fine. especially if they fix AV down the road.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    i remember all of the GM stuff was really expensive and the pvpers made basically no gold so had to often borrow a bunch of gold to buy it. I feel like if they dont take care of the gold botting thing it will be a huge problem when they roll around that stuff. i could totally see them doing something like hardcore is basically the PvE season of mastery 2 and they go crazy and do some pvp balancing for a more pvp focused actual SoM 2.

• Options
    There’s still appetite for non-hardcore, PvE-focused ruleset. I’m definitely in that camp.

I’ve been fiddling around on Era just a tiny bit, I’m itching to do some of those vanilla dungeons and raids again.

• Options
    oh im not saying there isn't, but i feel like they arent just going to look at SoM 1 and go SoM2 is going to be the same but we upped boss health another 200%!

So long as there isnt separate pve and pvp scaling like in retail anything they change for pvp would also affect pve. and that is still important because a large portion of the pvp gear would still be coming from pve.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    got my paladin to 30... usually if I make it this far I tend to take it to the finish line, but.... BUT.... i AM on a pvp server and its a bit rough and tumble

the population dynamics are different this time but im a little nervous because in SOM1 the PVE servers basically never made it off the ground, and in a fresh scenario I think I would still strongly prefer PVE

Jasconius on
  • Options
    well you should be able to just run SM stuff for a few levels. then i remember going to dustwallow marsh and pulling huge amounts of murlocs along the northeast (i think) coast until i was closer to 40 and then slammed out shimmering flats and tanaris. i doubt youll see another living soul in dustwallow unless youre near the boat and then you might catch some rogues messing with people.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I logged into the horde-side Era PvP cluster yesterday and Org was packed. I just can’t do PvP servers, though. The alliance-side PvE cluster seems to have some activity, so I’ll probably fiddle around on there

I’ve logged back into Wrath a little but am not super motivated. My guild dissolved during Ulduar so I’m faced with pugging togc and, eh, nah

Mercade on
  • Options
    the main pvp cluster is unbelievably populated... at all levels too. but I also can't really abide the pvp server... out hunting for turtle meat and a literal raid team of horde come descending on me last night

feels kinda not worth it. i wanna play when and where i want to play, not when the horde raid team allows me to

i can only imagine stv is much worse even still

• Options
    edited July 2023
    STV on a PvP server in og vanilla was pure hell. I think I spent a good week or two trying to get all the quests done there

I made an alliance priest and hunter on the PvE cluster this weekend. Just the simplicity of doing elwynn/westfall for the umpteenth time is very chill and fun

Mercade on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    STV on a PvP server in og vanilla was pure hell. I think I spent a good week or two trying to get all the quests done there

I made an alliance priest and hunter on the PvE cluster this weekend. Just the simplicity of doing elwynn/westfall for the umpteenth time is very chill and fun

Rogues EVERYWHERE

96058.png?1619393207