As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rebel Script ⍺] We Are Become

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited February 19 in Critical Failures
Welcome to the pitch session, @Mahnmut and @PirateQueen

Before we play I’d like to go over what I intend to host for you, and get feedback on what you want to focus on, and just as importantly, what you aren’t interested in.

What’s the system?
It’s just this thing I’ve made called Rebel Script. It’s not the greatest roleplaying system, just my own. It’s got the stuff I like, which is fiction first over complex rules, and getting to roll lots of dice.
Here’s the wiki, updating whenever I have time.
Give it to me brief!
When your action is uncontested you do it to the best of your ability as established by your aspects, traits and skills. Act out the result.
There’s no rolling dice to do something your character is designed for. If your character has the Strong aspect, and you want to move a big rock out of the way of a stream over a few minutes, you do it.
When you are challenged, describe what you intend to do and your current goal. The host will lay out the dangers and consequences should things go awry up front. Take one die. Then create a dice pool.
  • Add a die if you have an appropriate aspect.
  • Add a die if an ally assists you.
  • Add a die if you accept a turn of fate.
  • Add a die if you have a situational bonus.
  • Add a die if you spend momentum.

If you choose to take further risk, double your dice pool.

Now roll the dice.

On a 6, you succeed. Additional 6’s create momentum.
You drive the fiction forward.

On a 4 or 5, the outcome is mixed.
Consequence and compromise drive the fiction forward.

On a 1, 2, or 3, your action is twisted against you. Take a condition, as established.
The threat drives the fiction forward.

If you decide you go too far, roll your dice pool again and accept the result.

Finally, if you have a relevant skill, always take an option.

Together we act out the result.
Dice rolling is pretty robust, but once you learn it, this is it. Let’s say you have to fight a huge eagle! You start with a single d6, then add your aspect Quick for another d6, and finally add one more as your ally distracts the eagle. Whoever assists you shares in the result of your roll, for better or worse.

Turn of fate, take further risk and go too far are all ways to get more dice in return for accepting trouble. I’ll get into them as we play (though they are on the wiki), they’re basically permission for drama

Where’s my HP?
There ain’t none! Instead you have 6 condition clocks. When your highest result is 1, 2 or 3, you take a condition. Write it down next to a clock. If a clock gets filled it becomes a permanent scar, a debility you’re stuck with. If you have 6 conditions at once, you’re in serious trouble.

What’s the story?
I’m thinking you’ll be part of a mythical first tribe, woken fully grown and without history. No one is in charge, yet, and no one has invented anything, save a few basic items, like pointy stick and loincloth. Your goal will be to map out your island home, create rules and culture for the tribe, invent whatever the tribe needs to survive, and overcome the challenges of the world.

How long are we playing?
Just a couple weeks I guess. It’s a play-test. I’ll get us to an end point, and pick it back up another time if we all have fun with it. No pressure on when you post.

Endless_Serpents on
PirateQueenMongrel IdiotLucedes
«1

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 19
    Character Creation
    First, get a blank playbook.
    Choose a name. Something short will do, a simple sound or a word, like River. I’ll name the rest of the tribe based on how you do it.

    Describe in broad strokes what you look like, and what you tend to wear. You can say a little about yourself, but don’t reveal anything you can’t alter later. Leave gaps to be filled as they come into play.

    Choose an aspect.

    https://rebelscript.obsidianportal.com/wikis/aspects
    It’s just a word, so talk to me if you want something different.

    Discuss and make notes on the character during the pitch, and play to find out more about them during the 1st episode.

    When you meet the requirements, take an advancement. In this way you’ll build out the character to fit your growing view of them and the story everyone begins to tell.

    Advancement
    Once per episode, take an advancement when you share intimacy, your call, with another person. Intimacy includes showing weakness, revealing a secret thought, expressing kinship, engaging in their planned action, or sharing something precious.

    Once per episode, take an advancement when you create something new for the tribe.

    There’s no levelling. Gaining a new part for your character is in your hands. It’s okay to miss it, someone with 3 advancements can stand equally with someone with more.

    Advancement Options
    Gain an aspect.
    * Gain a skill.
    * Gain 2 traits drawn from an aspect you possess.
    * Gain an asset, reveal how.
    * Gain 2 rituals.
    * With the host, improve an existing skill.
    * Swap out two of your advancements, say why.
    * Add 2 equipment slots.
    * Add a segment to a condition clock.
    * Reset your condition clocks, with or without an explanation.

    Endless_Serpents on
    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    So, let’s chat!

    clx5mbibmfjd.jpeg

    PirateQueen
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    I'm thinking a Hearty tribesperson named Spring with clean robes, a soft body, and a booming laugh.

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    Looks like you’re happy enough, let’s begin.

    —————
    The sun has risen and fell 12 times since the tribe awoke. Language came quick, but there are many things still to name, maybe ideas yet to be expressed. The tribe are grown, healthy, strong, but know little. Rock fell down, running without care, and proved that there is a thing to be avoided: hurt. Cloud washed Rock’s knee with water, and it was found there was a thing to seek and to do: help.

    The place the tribes has been to are as follows:
    Birthplace Hill. A table topped hilled with a natural spring, a few trees and four tents made from scavenged leaves... they’re not especially structurally sound or roomy, it’s just an idea Leaf couldn’t quite explain.

    You think it might be time to explore.

    The Known World
    6vbkf292xj54.jpeg


    The Tribe
    j6bqpbpnye2g.png

    You awoke next to these people. They’re all you know, and things have been amiable so far... but people are starting to butt heads over what to do.

    1. Rock. The best runner. Afraid of getting hurt.
    2. Leaf. The shortest. Likes building things. Best climber.
    3. Cloud. Best at mending things. Spends most time alone.
    4. Cup. Cup invented the cup and they’re pretty proud of it.
    5. Shade. Best at sleeping. Likes to find out if things are food.
    6. Blue. Likes to swim. First to kill a fish to eat.
    7. Nam. Nam can’t speak well like the rest of you. They are different.
    8. Ruby. Best at singing. Ruby has strange skin that looks hurt.
    9. Clay. Clay is most relaxed. They resolved the first dispute. They have no hair.
    10. Star. Star says they have secret power. No one knows what.
    11. Big. Big is big. Big is real strong. Big is very soft.
    12. Hawk. Best at talking a lot. Very serious.
    13. Petals. Petals is two people in one body. Both of them are nice.
    14. Warren. After watching animals, they think the tribe should live underground. Best at hiding.
    15. Mango. Most surprised. Trying to figure out how weather works.
    16. Sunshine. Sunshine invented paint and they’re always painting.

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutPirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    Wave & Spring

    You have both considered the growing needs of the tribes. The fallen fruit has been eaten, the hill has nothing more to offer. At least not today.

    You can see deep forest to the west, a mountain to the north, a beach to the east and likely the same down south.

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Wave would like to talk to the other tribe members to see how they feel about a trip to the forest or mountains... maybe a vote is in order?

    (unless Warren has already built us an awesome underground base and Star's secret power is making food magically appear- then we can just hole up in there and party ; )

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wave

    A fab idea!

    The majority of the tribe is in sight. Cloud must be a little ways down the hill, thinking alone as they tend to do, and Shade is probably asleep in a tent. He gets up late.

    Feel free to shout for attention, or if you prefer, just ask someone in particular if you’d like them to tag along.
    An example for @PirateQueen

    When it eventually comes time to roll dice, you just write something like this. Geth is the name of the dice roller.

    Geth roll 2d6 for Party

    Party:
    2d6 7 [2d6=3, 4]

    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Sure - do I hear Spring's booming laughter anywhere nearby?

    If not, can start aggressively yodelling to get everyone's attention and gather the tribe

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    "I'm right here, Wave." Spring sings out, "Everyone! Wave wants to talk."

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Wave & Spring

    Some wander over slowly, others are excited. This might well be the first important vote to be held!

    “No! I say!”, Rock calls as they leap onto a flat stone and take a seat, “Um... What’s the topic?”

    Mango is in the middle of waving two leaves around, trying to direct the wind, “I’m listening, just a bit busy.”

    Clay sits down in front of your both, then half leans around to look at everyone. He gives you a thumbs up.

    Hawk crosses their arms. Petals puts both their hands up, then puts them down—maybe they answered their own question. Warren is covered in mud. Shade slides out of a tent. Cloud starts making his way up the hill.

    Everyone is here. Make your case!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Wave stands on a rock to look tall(er)

    "Thanks for coming to talk with me Spring, Rock, Clay, everyone.

    I like Birthplace Hill and I don't want to leave, but we have to, right?
    I've heard several arguments break out over what we should do. I don't want our tribe to break apart. Whatever happens, I think we should decide together. I propose we have a vote... and whatever the majority decides, the rest of us accept it and support their plan."

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Spring shades their eyes and gazes out towards the beach. “Let’s go over there. Look how the light dances and sparkles! It’s like the sky is calling to us.”

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Hawk pipes up, “A sound idea. What do you have in mind Wave?”

    After a bit of talk, everyone comes to understand.

    Sunshine and Warren vote that the north should be explored. (2 votes)
    Hawk, Spring, Big, Star & Blue think the beach to the east seems best. (5 votes)
    Manga, Leaf, Ruby & Shade vote for someone to visit the forest. (4 votes)
    Only Cloud and Cup thinks going south is most worthwhile. (2 vote)
    Rock votes to just stay here. (1 vote)
    Nam doesn’t seem to be participating, but perhaps you could convince them. That’s a challenge!
    Clay says they’ll side with the majority.
    Petals has two different votes, but Cup says they can only have one. How would you resolve this dispute? Will you intervene?

    As yet no one is convinced to actually join you... That’s a challenge too!

    When you are challenged, describe what you intend to do and your current goal. The host will lay out the dangers and consequences should things go awry up front. Take one die. Then create a dice pool.

    Add a die if you have an appropriate aspect.
    Add a die if an ally assists you.
    Add a die if you accept a turn of fate.
    Add a die if you have a situational bonus.
    Add a die if you spend momentum.
    If you choose to take further risk, double your dice pool.

    Now roll the dice.

    On a 6, you succeed. Additional 6’s create momentum.
    You drive the fiction forward.

    On a 4 or 5, the outcome is mixed.
    Consequence and compromise drive the fiction forward.

    On a 1, 2, or 3, your action is twisted against you. Take a condition, as established.
    The threat drives the fiction forward.

    If you decide you go too far, roll your dice pool again and accept the result.

    Finally, if you have a relevant skill, always take an option.

    Together we act out the result.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Wave thinks Spring's reasoning for choosing the beach is beautiful and supports that choice

    Will support Spring's persuasion attempt if needed...

    Also, did Mango, Leaf, Ruby and Shade say why they're interested in the forest?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “So what I’m thinking is, I made our tents out of leaves I found... and I think that way is made of leaves... maybe even stronger materials!”, Leaf says firmly, putting a fist in their palm.

    “Fruit grows on trees, so we need more access to trees!”, Mango confirms, “That makes sense, right?”

    Shade shrugs. Ruby only said it because Shade did.

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Hey, what's Nam doing instead of the discussion?

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Great question!

    Nam is currently lining up pebbles into a nice pattern.

    yl81oi5emabk.jpeg

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    "Ooh pretty pebbles! Maybe they can help us decide where to go?"

    *rolls for insight check on pebbles*

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Alright, so, @PirateQueen let’s have a challenge. Roll 1d6 for me using the Geth dice roller.

    Describe to me how you try to chat with Nam.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh no! Your action is twisted against with that roll of 2. During later rolls we’ll bring in other mechanics, to get you more dice, but I’ll accept this 2 for this first roll.

    Nam seems agitated by your interruption of their work, and won’t participate in the vote. They continue to lay out pebbles in different patterns. You do learn something vital however, Nam isn’t stupid. You barely understand it yourself just yet, but they’re creating complex forms of math!

    You’d best leave them to it.

    When you are challenged, describe what you intend to do and your current goal. The host will lay out the dangers and consequences should things go awry up front. Take one die. Then create a dice pool.

    Add a die if you have an appropriate aspect.
    Add a die if an ally assists you.
    Add a die if you accept a turn of fate.
    Add a die if you have a situational bonus.
    Add a die if you spend momentum.
    If you choose to take further risk, double your dice pool.

    Now roll the dice.

    On a 6, you succeed. Additional 6’s create momentum.
    You drive the fiction forward.

    On a 4 or 5, the outcome is mixed.
    Consequence and compromise drive the fiction forward.

    On a 1, 2, or 3, your action is twisted against you. Take a condition, as established.
    The threat drives the fiction forward.

    If you decide you go too far, roll your dice pool again and accept the result.

    Finally, if you have a relevant skill, always take an option.

    Together we act out the result.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    With the majority vote in favour of a trip to the beach, all that’s left is seeing who you can convince to join you. That’s a challenge too.

    Either of you can ask, to the whole tribe or more precisely, and assist the other. Assistance grants the other an extra die, and entangles them in the consequences of your action.

    The breeze picks up a little, herding white clouds across the sky.

    gnqirx84a0d5.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Wave will gladly assist Spring
    (having left Nam to work in peace)

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Spring works the crowd, chatting up the ones who aren't committed to the forest or the beach. They're telling jokes and stuff. The goal is to get everyone into two big groups, so there aren't stragglers left alone on the hill.

    +Base
    +Hearty
    +Wave

    Geth, roll 3d6 for two adventuring parties

    edit: hearty is not as in a Hearty Laugh, that should be 2d6, probably a fail?

    two adventuring parties:
    3d6 9 [3d6=3, 5, 1]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hearty like a pirate. You can drink the most, recover from a blow to the head quicker, be loud and proud, work through rough weather.

    5 is your best result. So that’s a compromise or consequence...

    You manage to bring a good few on board with your idea, but some state they’ll stay on the hill and await your return. While you’re gone they’ll spend the day trying to make the hill more homely.

    Team Beach
    They really want to head to the beach! They start packing a few light trinkets, but they don’t have much or worth. They’d really like to feel what it’s like to go into the sea! Hawk will defer to you as it was your idea, but you can tell they love to be in charge.
    Wave & Spring
    Hawk
    Clay
    Big
    Star
    Blue

    Team Explore
    They’re a mixed bunch, having held different opinions on where to head, but exploring at all is more important to them. Sunshine seems to been made the leader of this group, but he doesn’t have any kind of ambition for that.
    Sunshine
    Cloud
    Shade
    Leaf
    Petals

    Team Stay
    Rock has been very firm about staying, and has made a few counter points folks have listened too. You won’t persuade them now, but they’re not in a bad mood or anything.
    Rock
    Warren
    Nam
    Cup
    Ruby
    Mango

    Mahnmut
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Happy enough with that! Let’s sing a beach song and go to the beach!

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Agreed - let's head to the beach!
    We can let Hawk lead the way (as it seems to make them happy)...

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    To be continued... Tomorrow! Bit too busy today!

    vbu431ggxb4h.jpeg


    PirateQueenMahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Having given Hawk the job of leading the journey, he chooses to send Team Explore further down the beach, splitting you all up further.
    g4ob3b4y6kgo.jpeg


    Wow! The beach! The sea! It feels very different. There are numerous crabs of all sizes milling about, and above you flocks of seabirds. Across the water you can see another unexplored part of the island, and there stands a lone tree snapped in half. You’ve never seen a tree destroyed, and didn’t think they could be pulled apart!

    You can still see Team Explore from where you are, just about, and they seem to have found a bunch of rock pools.

    Hawk claps their hands for attention, “Now! As I’m in charge, I think I should get to name this place. I call it... Hawk’s Beach! What? Well... alright, how about Silver Sands! See?”

    Hawk holds up a piece of silver, the size of a fist, plucks straight from the sand.

    Hawk has named the beach Silver Sands! It has a natural abundance of raw silver!

    “I say will collect as much as we can! Chop, chop!”, Hawk shouts. He crosses his arms defiantly.

    That might be a nice idea, but what do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Hmm... aren't we all pretty hungry by now?

    Wave agrees with Hawk that the silver looks cool, but unless it's edible, not too interested in looking for more

    Will go search for some food instead!

    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    A 2! Your action is twisted against you!

    Wave

    You wade out into the shallows, and poke some green floating stuff... it moves!

    You’re knocked backwards beneath the shallow seawater! Take the condition shocked!

    Until you dry off, you can’t use your aspect!

    hz7s583lei56.jpeg

    It’s easily as tall as a person! It spins around, once, twice, then rushes onto the beach!

    Everyone screams and shouts! Hawk freezes up, then panics! They struggle to get their short spear off their back, which is a problem... because the creature is heading straight for him!

    What do you do?
    You can’t be sure this thing is a predator, but can you afford to wait to find out?

    Killing it will grant you a large amount of food! Not just any food, real nutritious!

    PirateQueen
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I stand between Hawk and the water radish, with my arms and legs out to look really big, and yell! I'm trying to scare it into stopping or backing off.

    Geth, roll 1d6

    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Good plan - I'll wave my pointy stick to try and help Spring scare it off...
    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited March 4
    Spring
    You do frighten it! But learn too late that when scared, the water radish spits a pressured blast of water! You’re knocked backwards and tumble into Hawk! Take the condition embarrassed. The others will remember this until you prove yourself once more.

    Wave
    You leap at the beast, shrieking and waving your stick! It moves toward you and is poked for its trouble! It lets out a startled peep and heads back for the sea. As your eyes follow its slow, many limbed clambering, you notice six or seven more dive below the waves.

    For better or worse, this animal will now universally fear the tribe!

    —————

    Hawk gets up on his feet, and tries his best to pull up Spring.

    “You... You stood in the way of it! With no idea what it was capable of! Wow... You are my... is there a word for it? My best friend!”, his usually serious voice cracks as he looks as his burly pal.

    Hawk holds Spring in high regard! Everyone else giggles at Spring; he’s dripping wet in gross smelling water.

    Meanwhile, Big puts a huge hand on Wave’s shoulder, then rumbles, “I’ve never seen something to mighty! You are our warrior!”

    The others whisper about Wave, in awe and surprise at their action. How does that make you feel, Wave?

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutPirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Wave is feeling super proud!
    But wishing we had a tribe chef instead of a warrior X )

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You could chase it down if you want to turn it into sushi!

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Yess! Wave wants sushi!
    Who's with me?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wave
    Big follows after you, and Blue comes charging by your left, attempting to get there before you do!

    Big will do whatever you ask, but Blue is going for it because they want to be seen as the best warrior!

    You’ve got an extra d6 to roll since you’re about to flank the beast!

    What do you do?

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Blue's the best swimmer and kills fish on a daily basis, right?
    I trust they'll do a great job getting us some sushi
    I'll step aside so they can charge in first while Blue and I attack from the sides...
    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 8 [2d6=4, 4]

    Mahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wave

    Blue chases it down, and as it swiftly turns to avoid him Big belly bounces it across to you! It lands squarely on your stick! Let’s call this a spear.

    It’s wriggles for a moment, then it’s done. You’ve slain it, earning the tribe one hearty meal!

    ...Blue breaks the surface and spits.

    “I had that one! It was mine!”, he grumbles.

    Seems Blue is not pleased with you.

    Big interjects, “We worked together. What is this ‘mine’? Why own anything?”

    Blue will remember this...

    Mahnmut
Sign In or Register to comment.